Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I don’t get this take at all about Chuck. I saw Charlie Strong at a HEB on Bee Cave once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I'm still in shock! Anyone else had similar experiences?

I'm only about 70% sure this is a joke.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Tom actually put together a team that could play. I always got the feeling we were the better team on the field. He just would totally go into his shell in the second halves in games when we had leads. He switched from what would work to thinking he could run out clocks. Charlie had the IQ of a peanut and had no clue what to do in any phase of the job.

No doubt that was true of the Herman teams. Hell, his two best wins (OU and UGA) both should have been blowouts but Turtle Tom took his foot off of the throttle.

Tom actually put together a team that could play. I always got the feeling we were the better team on the field. He just would totally go into his shell in the second halves in games when we had leads. He switched from what would work to thinking he could run out clocks. Charlie had the IQ of a peanut and had no clue what to do in any phase of the job.

I think this is what made Herman’s teams so much more rage inducing, they where good enough to win and you would spent 4 fucking hours watching them play “will they, won’t they” until the final whistle and you felt both physically and emotionally dead. Charlie’s teams on the other hand where down 2 score 5 minutes into the half and you just went “lol” and flip in between that beat down and other interesting games.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, jinx said:

No doubt that was true of the Herman teams. Hell, his two best wins (OU and UGA) both should have been blowouts but Turtle Tom took his foot off of the throttle.

Yeah this is it. Herman is good enough as a head coach to be competitive against pretty much anyone but he has a complete inability to put teams away which meant he could lose to anyone on the schedule any given week. He also seemed completely unable or unwilling to adjust to whatever his opponent was doing. 

Charlie is good enough as a head coach to know which sideline he should be standing on. Or at least his educated guess was usually right.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I don’t get this take at all about Chuck. I saw Charlie Strong at a HEB on Bee Cave once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I'm still in shock! Anyone else had similar experiences?

You had me until the Milky Ways part. No one’s ever bought, stolen or otherwise enjoyed a Milky Way. Everybody knows they only keep them on store shelves for electrical infetterence 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:43 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Herman > Strong overall

Strong had plenty of hurdles (Patterson/Perine), but his coordinator hires were the worst. Imagine if he snatched Lincoln Riley from East Carolina in lieu of Shawn Watson. He couldnt overcome those blunders and was further exposed at USF.

But shittiest coaching jobs since I’ve followed Texas - in reverse chrono order:

1) 2019 was very bad. We started with a decimated secondary and Orlando got more and more desperate. Our offensive gameplans were lazy and stubborn. OU, Baylor, TCU, and Iowa St coaches must have had a great time before and after watching film.

2) 2016 Charlie Strong’s last year started strong with Notre Dame win, road a Doak Walker winner into the ground, and lost to Kansas.

3) 2013 Mack Brown’s final season also saw the firing of Manny Diaz. Having to watch Case McCoy was an indictment on the mismanagement of QB’s under Mack. The Diaz/Akina misalignment is on Mack. As is relying on Greg Robinson to cobble together a defense, which is inexcusable, though helpful step. He then hurt Texas ability to recruit on his way out.

4) 2010 was bad and exposed Greg Davis and Mack for riding Colt and Vince’s coattails. That was a very bad offense.

5) 1997 under Mackovic was the goalpost tour because I think at least 3 opposing team fans tore down goalposts after beating us. Really bad secondary play and a wasted year for Ricky Williams. And maybe we should have recruited Drew Brees over Richard Walton.

Funny how you mention 2013. We trashed OU and were 30 minutes away from a Big12 championship at Baylor. Even sleepwalking/shitting all over himself Mack Brown almost stumbled into a conference title. Fucking turtle Tom played for a conference title and bitch slapped Georgia in the Sugar bowl.

Charlie couldn’t muster a single winning season. He averaged about four blowout losses per season. He fielded a historically bad offense in 2014. Then he proceeded to turn special teams into a circus and turned the defense into a historically bad unit in 2015 and 2016.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Is there anything Mack or Herman did that is even in the same universe as NOT BEING ABLE TO NAME YOUR STARTING QB? Or the coin flip, Or the clock management, or the loss to KU. Nope, and Chuckles did all those things with no effect from "the way Mack left the program".

FFS we've been over this in the same thread three times now: ONE OF MACK'S TEAMS FUCKED UP A COIN TOSS THE SAME AS ONE OF CHARLIE'S DID. THAT FUCK UP IS ON THE TEAM CAPTAIN, NOT THE COACH. AND IT'S KIND OF EASY TO DO, AS IT'S PHRASED LIKE AN ITEM ON A BALLOT REFERENDUM, LIKE "WOULD YOU NOT LIKE TO NOT RECEIVE"?.

I legit don't remember when Strong could not remember the name of the starting QB; not denying it happened, but I don't remember it. Herman's clock management seems like it kinda sucked too, and Mack / Colt's almost cost a shot an the 2009 NC. 

Mack left behind a few decent seniors and nothing after that and he was recruiting even more future busts when we finally shoved his ass out the door. Seriously, we were headed toward 4-win seasons if we'd kept him at the rate he was going.

At his best, he's a very very good coach but he had lost about 15 mph on his heater and all his curveballs were hanging when we canned him. Maybe he's got it back now, I don't know. But he'd fucking lost it while he was here. 

And his legacy as a great coach hangs on one player whose career he came close to ruining. If he didn't feel the heat after 12-0, he wouldn't have let VY be VY, and there would have been no NC, and Mack would be on a tier with the John Coopers of the world. Great recruiter from Tennessee who couldn't beat his archrival and presided over an underachieving program. 

I will say this about the three coaches: Strong's teams never made bold play calls in any area of the game. Maybe on D, but not on offense or special teams. 

Mack...wow. I always knew when he was going to fake a punt. I could just feel it. And the thing was, he almost always got the first down. It was uncanny. It is one of my favorite things about him as a coach. It reminded me of how VY would be facing a 3rd and 17 and it just felt like nothing. 

Herman? I could always tell when he was going to try to convert a 4th and I was absolutely certain that it would fail. Even listening to the games on the radio...as soon as the third down would come up short, I'd think to myself, w/o being able to see players running on and off the field,  "Fucking Herman is going to go for it here and fail." And invariably, that was exactly what happened. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Funny how you mention 2013. We trashed OU and were 30 minutes away from a Big12 championship at Baylor. Even sleepwalking/shitting all over himself Mack Brown almost stumbled into a conference title. Fucking turtle Tom played for a conference title and bitch slapped Georgia in the Sugar bowl.

Charlie couldn’t muster a single winning season. He averaged about four blowout losses per season. He fielded a historically bad offense in 2014. Then he proceeded to turn special teams into a circus and turned the defense into a historically bad unit in 2015 and 2016.

Mack prevented Nick Saban from coming here
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Charlie’s “purge” of bad apples that first season screwed him too on top of the other dozen things headlined by hiring Shawn Watson.

But none of those guys amounted to shit anywhere else. Mack kicked at least one better player off the team than any of Charlie's bunch -- that WR who clocked that Aussie dude in a fight over some snatch. He went to Arizona and lit it up one year. Charlie's dudes went to shit schools, failed to excel, and often got in trouble there too. Mack rot spread to other programs. Shit, Jalen Overstreet showed up in the mugshot thread a couple of months ago. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, Laxtonto said:

I feel bad for Strong because he was a likable guy that seemed liek he truly cared but was in WAY over his head. Herman was the opposite, an absolute dick that did his job much better than his predicessor.

That being said, both desired to be fired, but Strong I am more willing to look back on and wish him well. Fuck Turtle Tom.

Exactly this. Also, when you said fuck turtle Tom, avatar checks out. 

*whispers*
I think Herman could do pretty well at UCF.

Probably so. He’d recruit relatively well. Getting FL second tier talent is better than what most of the AAC gets - and his staff was always good at identifying three star types with outsized potential, something Florida doesn’t lack. He’d probably compete for the AAC pretty regularly, scoring some bowl and OOC upsets then losing to Tulane and ECU to cost his team chances to play for hardware. Does UCF take that at this point?

27 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

But none of those guys amounted to shit anywhere else. Mack kicked at least one better player off the team than any of Charlie's bunch -- that WR who clocked that Aussie dude in a fight over some snatch. He went to Arizona and lit it up one year. Charlie's dudes went to shit schools, failed to excel, and often got in trouble there too. Mack rot spread to other programs. Shit, Jalen Overstreet showed up in the mugshot thread a couple of months ago. 

That tall OT des harrison was starting in the NFL, and Strong cut him and was left with that No contact at all guy Hughes

• Like 1

This thread is hilarious. I think Sark is either naive or brain damaged for agreeing to coach at Texas. Maybe both. It's clear to me that the Texas fan base, ex-players, and big money are fractured by hate and bitterly divided according to race, age, and political views, among other things. Unless Sark wins big early - conference championship and playoff spot within 3 years - he'll be fired. All I can do is laugh.

I'm sure this will be my last post here but I don't give a shit. I just like watching this ship of fools sail around in circles. It's amusing.

• Fuck You 39

Yeah all those dudes Strong kicked off the team went on to All American status and long NFL careers....Tom Herman's 4th down calls were always brilliant...Mack left behind a ton of studs, especially juniors, sophs and frosh, and his recruiting was still excellent when he was canned...It is a fact that one of Mack's teams blew a coin toss the same way one of Charlie's did. You can't win with no offensive line and Tyrone Swoopes at QB. 

These takes are all clearly regarded. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Restinmybones said:

I'm sure this will be my last post here but I don't give a shit. I just like watching this ship of fools sail around in circles. It's amusing.

How many times have you watched video of that vaunted '39 team? Your only national championship. WHOOP!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah all those dudes Strong kicked off the team went on to All American status and long NFL careers....Tom Herman's 4th down calls were always brilliant...Mack left behind a ton of studs, especially juniors, sophs and frosh, and his recruiting was still excellent when he was canned...It is a fact that one of Mack's teams blew a coin toss the same way one of Charlie's did. You can't win with no offensive line and Tyrone Swoopes at QB. 

These takes are all clearly regarded. 

Putting Strong's failings on Mack's recruiting is a shit take - yes we didn't recruit well at Mack's end but we're still Texas.  A better coach could done more with it.  Strong was embarrassingly bad, and his UCF experience shows that Texas wasn't the outlier - Louisville was the outlier in Strong's career.  Texas was regression to Strong's average, which is suckage.

spacer.png

He looks like my 9-year old son if I were to present him a calculus equation to finish.  Zero clue what to do.  Herman was over his head and that gif of him shows he realized it.  Charlie didn't even realize how out of his depth he was.  #RedWasRightMaybeACoordinator

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Putting Strong's failings on Mack's recruiting is a shit take - yes we didn't recruit well at Mack's end but we're still Texas.  A better coach could done more with it.  Strong was embarrassingly bad, and his UCF experience shows that Texas wasn't the outlier - Louisville was the outlier in Strong's career.  Texas was regression to Strong's average, which is suckage.

spacer.png

He looks like my 9-year old son if I were to present him a calculus equation to finish.  Zero clue what to do.  Herman was over his head and that gif of him shows he realized it.  Charlie didn't even realize how out of his depth he was.  #RedWasRightMaybeACoordinator

Actually, the Florida win was the outlier.  He didn't have that tough a schedule in the big east.

But, but dumbass. Many think we stole a game from ISU in 2013. Remember that one? OU was beginning to suck relatively speaking hence the bringing in of Riley in 2015 and moving out of Stoops.

We were 30 minutes away in theory. But our sole TD was a 7 play, 11 yard drive versus Baylor. How often in your life have you seen that your holiness? In that game and Oregon in the bowl, we had fewer pass yards than they had INT return yards. Read that again and ask yourself how often you've seen that. With an oline that had multiple, multi year senior starters. I'd guess collectively they had over 100 careers starts. So what I'm telling you our offense was hammered dogshit at time.

You and ol matty johnson can get together and talk about the great oline talent we had in 2014 with desmond harrison, estelle and the dude who played at Auburn. Yeah Harrison played in the NFL but quickly washed out. He and Estelle were head cases who did nothing before or after Strong took over. They were reasonable purges. Once Espinosa went down, we had 5 or so total starts from the offensive line. In game 2.

The talent Mack left outside of some senior defensive guys was historically bad. And No depth. The oline depth and experience for damn sure was the worst in my lifetime. Hell the only reason Mack took Harrison was a little desparation.

Your post has no context. You're like Herman with the chart. Context be damned. And one of the oddest roster transitions from college to the NFL is Adrian Phillips. My guess is you couldn't find a single Longhorn fan that could have projected he'd make an NFL roster let alone that Billy Belichick would sign him as a free agent and nearing 10 year vet status.

Special teams. Dickson and Rose. Both NFL guys. Both screwed up late in a game. Dickson, like his cousin, needed time to mature. Three blocks is unacceptable but what's forgotten there is senior Perkins got himself suspended for that game. Course Mack had his multi punt block game. And lack of depth hurts the special teams.

Some interesting notes about that 2015 defense. Gave up 50 to TCU. In a 5 game stretch, did you know that was the fewest they scored? The two after that they scored 45 and 40. Did you know that Tech scored more points in 5 other games than they did versus us? Did you know we were the only team they didn't score on the 1st quarter? Then they scored on the Hill to Grant deflection. Then more points after Jefferson and Jinkens both went out injured. Think about that lack of depth.

Now 2016, only 2 double digit losses. One being the last game to TCU. One on the road to OSU when Foreman and Chris Warren both dealt with injuries. And that Kansas loss. KU had 99 yards of offense at half. On 10 possessions. Really 9 since the half ended on one. 10 points on a pick 6 and a fumble. Turnovers by your true frosh QB and Doak Walker winner are why we lost.

In 15 and 16, we had a lot underclassmen playing next to underclassmen. That's a recipe for inconsistency. Particularly in the defensive backfield. And none of those guys redshirted. Big 12 offenses were stout.

Strong started the roster rebuild. Herman built it stronger particularly in the offensive line and sorta at QB. Depth is massively better. Also of note, Strong only had 3 recruiting classes the first of which was with limited time and ties to the state. Then Herman had the transition class so those things slowed the rebuild some too.

Unfortunately Mack left the roster in shambles. It was going to get worse. I don't like Watson just like everbuddy else but if you were on board with the oline purging and think an offense with horrid depth and experience at oline, a young and limited QB and limited playmakers was going to be anything but bad to inconsistent, you probably shit your drawers on a daily basis. I don't care how much of a badass NFL career Geoff Swaim has had he wasn't making much difference for that 2014 team.

On Strong you can just say look at his record and he lost to Kansas. The program was improving under Strong though just as it improved under Herman. Neither to the extent, we need, hope or want.

Like many others I was not pumped about Sark. But holy hell, it might just work.

Now go ahead and run me off.
  • Rage+1 1

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1
For clarity purposes it was USF not UCF.

And keep in mind prior to Connor Williams, we had not recruited an olineman that got drafted since Tony Hills in 2003 or 2004. And I believe he was a TE conversion. There were a few free agents that stuck though.

32 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

But, but dumbass. Many think we stole a game from ISU in 2013. Remember that one? OU was beginning to suck relatively speaking hence the bringing in of Riley in 2015 and moving out of Stoops.

We were 30 minutes away in theory. But our sole TD was a 7 play, 11 yard drive versus Baylor. How often in your life have you seen that your holiness? In that game and Oregon in the bowl, we had fewer pass yards than they had INT return yards. Read that again and ask yourself how often you've seen that. With an oline that had multiple, multi year senior starters. I'd guess collectively they had over 100 careers starts. So what I'm telling you our offense was hammered dogshit at time.

You and ol matty johnson can get together and talk about the great oline talent we had in 2014 with desmond harrison, estelle and the dude who played at Auburn. Yeah Harrison played in the NFL but quickly washed out. He and Estelle were head cases who did nothing before or after Strong took over. They were reasonable purges. Once Espinosa went down, we had 5 or so total starts from the offensive line. In game 2.

The talent Mack left outside of some senior defensive guys was historically bad. And No depth. The oline depth and experience for damn sure was the worst in my lifetime. Hell the only reason Mack took Harrison was a little desparation.

Your post has no context. You're like Herman with the chart. Context be damned. And one of the oddest roster transitions from college to the NFL is Adrian Phillips. My guess is you couldn't find a single Longhorn fan that could have projected he'd make an NFL roster let alone that Billy Belichick would sign him as a free agent and nearing 10 year vet status.

Special teams. Dickson and Rose. Both NFL guys. Both screwed up late in a game. Dickson, like his cousin, needed time to mature. Three blocks is unacceptable but what's forgotten there is senior Perkins got himself suspended for that game. Course Mack had his multi punt block game. And lack of depth hurts the special teams.

Some interesting notes about that 2015 defense. Gave up 50 to TCU. In a 5 game stretch, did you know that was the fewest they scored? The two after that they scored 45 and 40. Did you know that Tech scored more points in 5 other games than they did versus us? Did you know we were the only team they didn't score on the 1st quarter? Then they scored on the Hill to Grant deflection. Then more points after Jefferson and Jinkens both went out injured. Think about that lack of depth.

Now 2016, only 2 double digit losses. One being the last game to TCU. One on the road to OSU when Foreman and Chris Warren both dealt with injuries. And that Kansas loss. KU had 99 yards of offense at half. On 10 possessions. Really 9 since the half ended on one. 10 points on a pick 6 and a fumble. Turnovers by your true frosh QB and Doak Walker winner are why we lost.

In 15 and 16, we had a lot underclassmen playing next to underclassmen. That's a recipe for inconsistency. Particularly in the defensive backfield. And none of those guys redshirted. Big 12 offenses were stout.

Strong started the roster rebuild. Herman built it stronger particularly in the offensive line and sorta at QB. Depth is massively better. Also of note, Strong only had 3 recruiting classes the first of which was with limited time and ties to the state. Then Herman had the transition class so those things slowed the rebuild some too.

Unfortunately Mack left the roster in shambles. It was going to get worse. I don't like Watson just like everbuddy else but if you were on board with the oline purging and think an offense with horrid depth and experience at oline, a young and limited QB and limited playmakers was going to be anything but bad to inconsistent, you probably shit your drawers on a daily basis. I don't care how much of a badass NFL career Geoff Swaim has had he wasn't making much difference for that 2014 team.

On Strong you can just say look at his record and he lost to Kansas. The program was improving under Strong though just as it improved under Herman. Neither to the extent, we need, hope or want.

Like many others I was not pumped about Sark. But holy hell, it might just work.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

What are we doing here? For fucks sake, no, the program wasn't improving under Strong. He won 6 games his first season and then never won that many again. 

The talent wasn't "historically bad" either. I just quickly scanned the roster and saw at least 16 NFL players were on the roster when he took over. He recruited and coached more in his next two seasons. Yes, the OL was hammered dogshit when he got there but most first year coaches would kill to come in to a program with as much talent to work with as Charlie had. And as many resources to improve the weak spots. 

You know who had a historically bad roster when he took over? Matt Rhule at Baylor. They sucked his first year and only won a single game. Yet somehow he managed to turn things around in the same amount of time Charlie had (without the benefit of highly ranked recruits) and win 7 games his 2nd season and 11 his 3rd. Good coaches can do that. 

Anyone blaming Charlie going 12-15 at Texas on Mack Brown is delusional. It was time to move on from Mack but we picked the wrong guy. Charlie's failure at Texas is 100% on him. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Imagine putting this much thought and energy into defending Chuckles Strong

• Haha 1

This thread is hilarious. I think Sark is either naive or brain damaged for agreeing to coach at Texas. Maybe both. It's clear to me that the Texas fan base, ex-players, and big money are fractured by hate and bitterly divided according to race, age, and political views, among other things. Unless Sark wins big early - conference championship and playoff spot within 3 years - he'll be fired. All I can do is laugh.

Hi Tom.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Are "we" arguing over who's the better at being bad or the worse at being "ok"?

My thoughts....

CS: He was bad and was given a bad hand and had no support. He wanted Chad Morris as OC but the buyout was too high. Yet the university is shelling out millions for coaches who are no longer coaching here. Losing to Kansas is never forgivable no matter the circumstances. He had to go.

TH: Not a proven coach but was "hot" because he won two or three games he shouldn't have. All the while losing twice as many he should have won. He had every opportunity to bring in an excellent staff and yet he brought in his buddies. My somewhat excitement for his hire died there. I remember seeing the bunch downtown at Coopers after TO was hired. I was not impressed by the presentation. They all looked like a bunch of frat boys that were just given the keys to the stadium. Maybe it was a gut feeling. Maybe it was shell shock post CS.

In any event the last three hires ended in firings. That is normal but the trajectory that this program has fallen has left the country as a whole speechless. 

It's time to move on boys....and gals.

Mack is gone ( I still say he fucked us with Saban).

Charlie is gone.

And fortunately, despite his great wins. Tom is gone.

That's all I got.

Peace out, yo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1