Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Nope, not unless Banks has eligibility left. He uses the word "I" at one point. People who talk about themselves in 3rd person can go one of two ways..flameout or greatness. I expect the latter with Mr. Washingtonemoji869.png

Wouldn't "I" be considered first-person? It's been awhile since I was in second grade English class. 

Athletic Article - Big 12 recruiting thoughts: Reassessing each program after June official visits

https://theathletic.com/4662861/2023/07/05/big-12-recruiting-june-visits/

Texas:

Texas

National rank: 28 (previous: 64)
Number of commits: 12 (previous: 3)
Average player rating: 90.41 (previous: 88.40)

June was moving month for the Longhorns, who jumped 30-plus spots in the national rankings. The haul was highlighted by a commitment from top-40 recruit Jerrick Gibson, the No. 2 overall running back in the Class of 2024, and Johnson-Rubell, a top-150 prospect. Texas did suffer a decommit from top-100 receiver Hunter Moddon, but in addition to Gibson, the Horns added four stars Freddie Dubose (wide receiver), Daniel Cruz (offensive lineman), Santana Wilson (defensive back), Christian Clark (running back) and Parker Livingstone (wide receiver). The Longhorns are also still pursuing undecided top-100 prospects Colin Simmons (edge), Kobe Black (defensive back) and Selman Bridges (defensive back), among others.

Text:

Spoiler

Big 12 recruiting thoughts: Reassessing each program after June official visits

LUBBOCK, TEXAS - OCTOBER 29:  Head coach Joey McGuire of the Texas Tech Red Raiders looks on before a game against the Baylor Bears at Jones AT&T Stadium on October 29, 2022 in Lubbock, Texas. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Getty Images)
By Justin Williams
4h ago

With the frenzy of the June recruiting stretch and official visits over, let’s look at where each of the Big 12 programs stood from a recruiting standpoint entering last month, assess the progress made in recent weeks and gauge the outlook for the rest of the 2024 cycle.

(All rankings are from the 247Sports Composite updated through July 4.)

Baylor

National rank: 54 (previous: 45)
Number of commits: 12 (previous: 5)
Average player rating: 86.51 (previous: 86.32)

The Bears are up to double-digit commitments after adding eight since June 1, including 6-foot-6 offensive lineman Tristan Santoro, a three-star prospect from Shreveport, La. Santoro was one of six new top-1,000 commits for Baylor, although the Bears did lose Brandon Booker, a three-star linebacker and the second-highest-rated recruit in the class, who flipped to Stanford. The Bears are still pursuing Arizona tight end Dillon Hipp, who has narrowed his finalists to Baylor and Ole Miss.

BYU

National rank: 74 (previous: 63)
Number of commits: 7 (previous: 4)
Average player rating: 84.78 (previous: 84.71)

The Cougars landed a noteworthy commitment from tight end Ryner Swanson, a four-star prospect out of Laguna Beach, Calif. (shoutout to Lauren Conrad). BYU also scored a commitment from quarterback Enoch Watson, the younger brother of incoming linebacker Pierson Watson, and is still in pursuit of fellow three-star QB Carson Su’esu’e. BYU did lose safety Chance Harrison, who could be leaning toward Washington State instead.

Cincinnati

National rank: 39 (previous: 21)
Number of commits: 17 (previous: 9)
Average player rating: 86.78 (previous: 87.13)

After a scorching-hot spring, new coach Scott Satterfield and company cooled off a bit despite adding seven commitments in June and two in the first few days of July. Marqavious Saboor was the highest-rated of that bunch, a high-three-star safety out of Marietta, Ga., but the headliner of the month was a decommit from four-star linebacker Qua Birdsong, who flipped to UCF. July, however, got off to a fast start when Cincinnati landed a commitment from four-star quarterback and priority target Samaj Jones out of St. Joseph’s Prep in Philadelphia, the highest-rated recruit in the class. It put the Bearcats back in the top 40 nationally — easily the best among the league’s four newcomers.

Houston

National rank: 77 (previous: 90)
Number of commits: 7 (previous: 1)
Average player rating: 87.16 (previous: 87.31)

We’re no longer at the “poke the Coogs with a stick” stage after Houston began the month with just one commitment. Six have verballed since June 22, including a massive flip of Maurice Williams Jr. away from LSU. The four-star in-state linebacker is nearly a top-100 overall prospect and would be a top-five all-time recruit in the modern era for the Cougars. Houston still has a long way to go — it’s the lowest-rated of the league’s 14 teams at the moment — but the Williams commit was a much-needed boost entering the dead period.

Iowa State

National rank: 42 (previous: 31)
Number of commits: 15 (previous: 7)
Average player rating: 85.56 (previous: 85.53)

It wasn’t a particularly splashy month, but it was a fruitful one for the Cyclones, who added eight three-star commitments in June. They got a nice win with tight end Cooper Alexander — beating out Oklahoma for the son of former Sooners and NFL tight end Stephen Alexander — who is now the top-rated prospect in their 2024 class, and added Wade and Brent Helton, twin offensive linemen from California. Iowa State did miss out on a few key targets in the process, including running back Xavier Robinson to Oklahoma, wideout Shamar Rigby to Purdue and in-state receiver Reece Vander Zee to Iowa, but it was an encouraging, additive stretch.

Kansas

National rank: 36 (previous: 54)
Number of commits: 15 (previous: 5)
Average player rating: 87.24 (previous: 86.62)

The vibes are good in Lawrence. The Jayhawks are on pace to have their best class in a decade, bolstered by the July 4 commitment of four-star edge Dakyus Brinkley of Katy (Texas) High. He is one of four top-500 prospects in the Jayhawks’ class — four more than KU had in its previous two classes combined. Head coach Lance Leipold and his staff have recruited and built well off the momentum from last season’s strong start.

Kansas State

National rank: 65 (previous: 34)
Number of commits: 7 (previous: 6)
Average player rating: 87.30 (previous: 87.25)

It was looking as though it might be time for Houston to ship that poking stick to Manhattan. The reigning Big 12 champs fell 30 spots in the national rankings after adding just one commit on the final day of June. On a positive note, it was a solid in-state addition from offensive lineman Kaedin Massey, the third Kansas native to verbal to the Wildcats. There is potential added excitement on the horizon as well with 247Sports crystal balls for four-star in-state linebacker Michael Boganowski and four-star offensive lineman Grant Brix, both of whom visited in June. But for now, Kansas State currently has the lowest-ranked 2024 class of the league’s 10 returning members.

Oklahoma

National rank: 34 (previous: 28)
Number of commits: 11 (previous: 6)
Average player rating: 90.00 (previous: 91.01)

Things remain in “wait-and-see” mode for the Sooners, who did add five commitments in June despite taking a slight dip in the rankings. They were beaten out by Iowa State for Alexander, a legacy recruit, and Clemson for five-star linebacker target Sammy Brown. But Oklahoma did add four-star linebacker James Nesta, flipped four-star receiver Ivan Carreon from Texas Tech and still appears to be in good position for Williams Nwaneri and David Stone, a pair of five-star, top-five national recruits.

Oklahoma State

National rank: 51 (previous: 35)
Number of commits: 13 (previous: 6)
Average player rating: 86.64 (previous: 87.09)

The Cowboys are the toughest team in the conference to get a read on. They have what looks to be an advantageous schedule in 2023 but also lost a lot of talent and experience to the transfer portal. For now, it’s carrying over to the 2024 class, where Oklahoma State is in the middle of the recruiting pack (at No. 7) in the future conference’s overall rankings. The Pokes did add six commits in June, including three-star receiver Tre Griffiths and safety David Kabongo, both out of Texas.

TCU

National rank: 52 (previous: 50)
Number of commits: 10 (previous: 4)
Average player rating: 88.95 (previous: 88.14)

The summer official visit season was good to the Horned Frogs, despite basically no movement in the national rankings. TCU added a trio of in-state, four-star prospects: wide receiver Gekyle Baker and running backs Jeremy Payne and Nate Palmer. Hometown safety and four-star target Jordon Johnson-Rubell chose Texas, but the class still has the third-highest average player rating in the conference behind Texas and Oklahoma.

Texas

National rank: 28 (previous: 64)
Number of commits: 12 (previous: 3)
Average player rating: 90.41 (previous: 88.40)

June was moving month for the Longhorns, who jumped 30-plus spots in the national rankings. The haul was highlighted by a commitment from top-40 recruit Jerrick Gibson, the No. 2 overall running back in the Class of 2024, and Johnson-Rubell, a top-150 prospect. Texas did suffer a decommit from top-100 receiver Hunter Moddon, but in addition to Gibson, the Horns added four stars Freddie Dubose (wide receiver), Daniel Cruz (offensive lineman), Santana Wilson (defensive back), Christian Clark (running back) and Parker Livingstone (wide receiver). The Longhorns are also still pursuing undecided top-100 prospects Colin Simmons (edge), Kobe Black (defensive back) and Selman Bridges (defensive back), among others.

Texas Tech

National rank: 23 (previous: 19)
Number of commits: 17 (previous: 9)
Average player rating: 88.41 (previous: 88.21)

It continues to be mostly gas, very little breaks for Joey McGuire and the Red Raiders, who dropped to just outside the top 20 nationally but remain the top-rated 2024 class in the league. Tech added seven commits since the start of June, the most notable being a trio of four-star, in-state recruits: offensive lineman Ellis Davis, safety Peyton Morgan and wide receiver Tyson Turner. They did lose Carreon, who flipped to Oklahoma, but the real crown jewel is five-star receiver and top-10 overall prospect Micah Hudson, who Red Raiders fans are anticipating a commitment from with bated breath. Hudson would easily be Texas Tech’s highest-rated recruit of the modern era.

UCF

National rank: 49 (previous: 51)
Number of commits: 10 (previous: 4)
Average player rating: 88.04 (previous: 88.05)

The past few weeks have elicited a pendulum of emotions from Knights fans. UCF added eight commitments since June 1, including a quartet of four-stars: athlete Kylan Fox and offensive lineman Waltclaire Flynn Jr., teammates at Grayson High School in Georgia; Stacy Gage, a top-300 running back from powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas in South Florida; and Qua Birdsong, an edge rusher out of Troup County in Georgia. The Knights did lose two quality commits on the same day, with decommits from three-star, in-state defenders Sincere Edwards (defensive lineman) and Sam Robinson (linebacker). But UCF bounced back and sprinted out of the gate in July with Fox, Flynn and Birdsong, flipping the latter from Cincinnati. It should add an extra dash of spice to the budding rivalry between the former AAC foes.

West Virginia

National rank: 33 (previous: 69)
Number of commits: 18 (previous: 3)
Average player rating: 86.52 (previous: 85.56)

Despite all the talk about head coach Neal Brown being on the hot seat, the Mountaineers went out and nabbed 13 commitments in June, climbing 30-plus spots in the national recruiting rankings and up to second in the “new” conference behind Texas Tech. A quartet of three-star, top-800 players led the way — Obinna Onwuka (edge), Rickey Williams (linebacker), Brandon Rehmann (wide receiver) and Makai Byerson (edge). And even with the recruiting landscape potentially shifting in Ohio, West Virginia infiltrated the Buckeye State for six of those 18 commits.

(Photo of Joey McGuire: Josh Hedges / Getty Images

Justin Williams

Justin Williams is a staff writer and editor for The Athletic covering the Cincinnati Bearcats. He previously served as a senior editor for Cincinnati Magazine and has written for The New York Times, the Ringer and Grantland. Follow Justin on Twitter @williams_justin

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 6

It continues to be mostly gas, very little breaks for Joey McGuire and the Red Raiders

Interesting that this ostensibly neutral reporter chose this opportunity to showcase his second-rate simulacrum of command of the English language apparently to take a shot at Texas.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Interesting that this ostensibly neutral reporter chose this opportunity to showcase his second-rate simulacrum of command of the English language apparently to take a shot at Texas.

he covers Cincinnati for The Athletic but has gotten some into recruiting I think since The Athletic, in their supreme wisdom, has assigned a single dude to cover the State of Texas CFB beat.

12 minutes ago, ousux said:

Some of those Tceh, WVU and UCF players (non-bread type) will be hitting the portal once they see what a wasteland the Big12 becomes once the big boys are no longer on the schedule every year.

Yeah the 2024 Big 12 is essentially the SWC/Big 8 leftovers + the AAC. 

I think UCF, U of H, Cincy, and BYU will enjoy a brief bump before coming back to earth. 

Tech, Okie State, TCU, and Baylor will decline. We’ll see how rapidly it occurs. 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I just looked at 247s team rankings for 2024 and for some reason they have Texas in the Big12 and OU in the SEC. They’re confused 

Maybe the gentlemen's agreement is intact???

Edited by Thiefery
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Some of those Tceh, WVU and UCF players (non-bread type) will be hitting the portal once they see what a wasteland the Big12 becomes once the big boys are no longer on the schedule every year.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah the 2024 Big 12 is essentially the SWC/Big 8 leftovers + the AAC. 

I think UCF, U of H, Cincy, and BYU will enjoy a brief bump before coming back to earth. 

Tech, Okie State, TCU, and Baylor will decline. We’ll see how rapidly it occurs. 

It's going to be the Big Dumpster Fire, whoop!!!!1!

• Like 1

You guys should watch the end of Jordan Washington's commitment video;  I've set it to play the last minute or so for context, but the payoff is in the last few seconds.  Brings the lulz.

If you can, watch the whole thing - 

- some very nice and authentic family/Texas stuff in the first part.

- he then starts talking about his OV, chances of playing, etc.. ... and says some stuff that he should have kept to himself.  Should makes things interesting once he comes on board.

- and then some lulz 😂  😂  😂 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't think there's anything bad in there. Being told you can start seems like pretty standard recruiting stuff 

I'm old enough to remember DeAndre McNeal being told he'd get the first carry/pass against ND and then the Aggies making a big deal about how Charlie lied to him.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

DeAndre McNeal

I was excited when he committed. Back then we all wanted some kind of H-back that was a tweener RB/TE/WR. On the plus side he was Malik’s teammate. After he left Texas there was a tweet that was…concerning for his well being.  I found him on LinkedIn just now and he’s a finance guy making his way through life. 
Remembering him as a recruit and seeing him now really changes my perspective on all this. 
His commit predates this site so I didn’t have a thread to reminisce on… back to these NFL bois that Sark is going to fuck up Jimbo with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't think there's anything bad in there. Being told you can start seems like pretty standard recruiting stuff 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When he steps on campus we likely don't have JT Sanders so yeah starting isn't out of the realm of possibility for him. 

It wasn't about being told he would have a chance to start - that's pretty common.

When he talks about the starting tight end - Sanders - hosting him, he tells someone off camera how it's important on an OV to have a starter as a host, and not some backup ...  and he could be with the 2s in his first practice, over a junior who's been there ... no need to get into that stuff about guys with whom he'll be sharing the tight end room (six months to a year before he even steps on campus).

I don't think it was mean spirited; he just seems like a confident kid who was excited - hope he channels that appropriately.

(Btw - it may have been true that Sanders wanted to host him, but it doesn't seem like having a backup as a host is necessarily bad ... personality, being from the same area, etc. also surely factor into it.

Juan Davis was Bussey's host.  Standish's comments on that:

image.thumb.png.d0a626173859b52fcbd4163c10d42ec4.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I was excited when he committed. Back then we all wanted some kind of H-back that was a tweener RB/TE/WR. On the plus side he was Malik’s teammate. After he left Texas there was a tweet that was…concerning for his well being.  I found him on LinkedIn just now and he’s a finance guy making his way through life. 
Remembering him as a recruit and seeing him now really changes my perspective on all this. 
His commit predates this site so I didn’t have a thread to reminisce on… back to these NFL bois that Sark is going to fuck up Jimbo with. 
Finessing!
  • Hook 'Em 2

Count me as excited with Hampton reups with us. If he can figure things out off the field, he's going to become a great weapon on it. But in the age of NIL and the portal, if he doesn't figure it out, he will be gone in two seasons. With the changes to recruiting it's much easier to take chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Getafix said:

It wasn't about being told he would have a chance to start - that's pretty common.

When he talks about the starting tight end - Sanders - hosting him, he tells someone off camera how it's important on an OV to have a starter as a host, and not some backup ...  and he could be with the 2s in his first practice, over a junior who's been there ... no need to get into that stuff about guys with whom he'll be sharing the tight end room (six months to a year before he even steps on campus).

I don't think it was mean spirited; he just seems like a confident kid who was excited - hope he channels that appropriately.

(Btw - it may have been true that Sanders wanted to host him, but it doesn't seem like having a backup as a host is necessarily bad ... personality, being from the same area, etc. also surely factor into it.

Juan Davis was Bussey's host.  Standish's comments on that:

image.thumb.png.d0a626173859b52fcbd4163c10d42ec4.png

Every kid has different buttons to push and it sounds like the staff got it right with Washington (and Bussey). He talks about the first practice in the context of not being intimidated. That makes sense to me given he's a kid whose recruitment blew up 2 months ago. I imagine some staffs were saying that he'd get lost in the depth chart at Texas. And I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be hosted by Sanders, who he likely looks up to (calling him the second best TE in the country).

Anyways, I really like the personalities of all the kids in their IT interviews so far, Washington included. I'm so ready for the season. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls