Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The football board serves it's purpose, which is to act as a magnet to keep the fucking idiots away from here, sir. 

And the recruiting board serves its purpose, which is to act as a Facebook page for all the GenX/Boomer posters. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Well, that would change if immamac would ever listen to any of my youth outreach ideas.  But apparently he’s too cool to have events at the library, 5:00 pm dinners catered by County Line BBQ, pinball tournaments, or anything else that draws in young people.

frank capra film GIF by hoppip

• Hook 'Em 3

Sweat is starting to pop up on a few mock drafts as a late 1st round pick. I've also noticed that Sanders and Ewers aren't showing up on any new 1st round mocks, and Worthy - who used to be a consensus first rounder - is only on about half of them. In fact, Mitchell seems to be trending to be the first Horns receiver drafted. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

He is on the Pittsburgh Steelers ALL TIME team. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers_All-Time_Team

In 2000, The Daily Texan, the student daily paper at Texas, characterized Hampton as "relentless," even quoting Hampton. "The way I see it, you never know when your last play is going to be," Texas' star defensive tackle said. "So you should go hard all the time. There's no reason to take a play off.." At the time, Hampton was 6'1 and 325 lbs and safety Greg Brown said "I have never seen him take a down off, he's just so intent on destroying people that he never takes time to rest. It's gotta be a gift." Hampton played with Shaun Rogers, a 2nd round pick of the Detroit Lions in 2001 and a Longhorn from 1997–2000; and after Hampton was quoted saying "No one guy can block me. Two guys can probably get it done but never one guy. I can always overpower one," the Daily Texan printed this: "He's says he's never even been caked. Ever," fellow defensive tackle Rogers said. "He says he wasn't even caked in junior high, but I, at least, am humble enough to say that I might have been once or twice. So I'd say some of what he says is questionable."

This is pretty funny from Rogers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The potential 1st round pick pool at receiver this year is pretty deep.  It's very possible for Worthy to end up being a 2nd round pick.

I look forward to seeing who the first person is that asks "maybe one of them will come back"...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

35 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, that would change if immamac would ever listen to any of my youth outreach ideas.  But apparently he’s too cool to have events at the library, 5:00 pm dinners catered by County Line BBQ, pinball tournaments, or anything else that draws in young people.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I look forward to seeing who the first person is that asks "maybe one of them will come back"...

Not sure about WR, but get ready for TE. The IT guys have mentioned Sanders falling on draft boards.. I think maybe Bobby said coming back could help him.. They still think he leaves, but they opened the door a crack. 

Edited by Codaxx

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sanders should come back, but by all indications he’s a 3 year player. 

I would like Sanders to come back but to say he should is a very Burnt Orange viewpoint. He will be a 2nd round pick and very few TEs are selected in the 1st. I believe he has maximized his draft value. Plus he could be 24/25 going into a 2nd contract.

35 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I would like Sanders to come back but to say he should is a very Burnt Orange viewpoint. He will be a 2nd round pick and very few TEs are selected in the 1st. I believe he has maximized his draft value. Plus he could be 24/25 going into a 2nd contract.

Sounds like he is falling into a 3rd-4th round projection. Guessing people are looking a little harder at his blocking d the draft approaches 

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 2:49 PM, NoName said:

recruiting relevant info:

image.thumb.png.d2834faf180758c712b0372f162fdfc5.png

notes off the top of my head:

• Carter had 2 to play 2 and was a grad transfer.
  • Neyor leaving means Texas rolls into next year likely with only Cain, Cook, Niblett, Moore and incoming freshmen. absolutely will see transfer portal used here
  • Jake Majors 🫥
  • only guys with no more eligibility are K Robinson, Christian Jones, T'Vondre Sweat, Jett Bush, Ryan Sanborn
  • losing a shitload of talent in the secondary - both of the 2 deep at FS, starter at boundary safety (Bugg), STAR (Barron), Boundary CB (Watts)

as a reminder last year Christian Jones and Jordan Whittington went through Senior day.

defensive 2 roster without guys leaving looks drastically different:

image.thumb.png.2563ed2f84e1a477697e911e661a9d60.png

Screenshot_20231120-211634_kindlephoto-31173824.png

Was hoping Collins and Carter would look at what extra years did for Sweat, Coburn, and Ojomo and decide to come back. Maybe they still will. Was hoping for Murphy too but I know that's a huge stretch at this point.

Jake Majors may just be tired of football, he can't be seriously considering declaring for the draft.

On 11/20/2023 at 3:06 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Then why would they be involved in the usual “farewell” ceremony?

It's not a legally binding contract. There's often a guy or two that do it and either change their mind, or are unsure at the time and want to be sure they get that moment.

Christian Jones and (I think) Tvondre Sweat participated last year. Coburn did the year before.

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Sweat is starting to pop up on a few mock drafts as a late 1st round pick. I've also noticed that Sanders and Ewers aren't showing up on any new 1st round mocks, and Worthy - who used to be a consensus first rounder - is only on about half of them. In fact, Mitchell seems to be trending to be the first Horns receiver drafted. 

The vast majority of mock drafts, and people putting out the mock drafts, aren't worth shit. Guys like Dane Brugler are worth paying attention to. Others... meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not sure about WR, but get ready for TE. The IT guys have mentioned Sanders falling on draft boards.. I think maybe Bobby said coming back could help him.. They still think he leaves, but they opened the door a crack. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sanders should come back, but by all indications he’s a 3 year player. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Sounds like he is falling into a 3rd-4th round projection. Guessing people are looking a little harder at his blocking d the draft approaches 

I addressed this last week.

1) JT isn’t ready for the NFL.

2) JT’s blocking sucks.

3) Even if he is drafted in the 3rd round or later, he would be paid a league minimum of $750,000 next season to learn how to block and he won’t be making that in Austin, so he should go get paid an obscene amount of money to learn to do what Whittington does and look toward that second contract. 

JT has looked like about 60% of the player he was last year. I can’t imagine an NFL team picking him before the 3rd round, but he should still go…

Unless he wants to win a National Championship and be a legend for life. 

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I addressed this last week.

1) JT isn’t ready for the NFL.

2) JT’s blocking sucks.

3) Even if he is drafted in the 3rd round or later, he would be paid a league minimum of $750,000 next season to learn how to block and he won’t be making that in Austin, so he should go get paid an obscene amount of money to learn to do what Whittington does and look toward that second contract. 

JT has looked like about 60% of the player he was last year. I can’t imagine an NFL team picking him before the 3rd round, but he should still go…

Unless he wants to win a National Championship and be a legend for life. 

He's a flex TE. If an organization is drafting him to play in line then they're fucking morons. 

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

There is this thing called a redshirt. 

Very well aware of that.

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sanders didn’t RS. He played special teams as a freshman. 

I remembered wrong. I was under the impression that he didn't see the field at all his first year.

I know it isn't likely, but I would love to see him play a third year of TE.

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) reporting that 5-star Safety Xavier Filsaime and his father were on campus today. Gerry said they are not ruling out another visit before Dec 20 signing day. 

https://247sports.com/player/xavier-filsaime-46103308/

Can @F250 possibly loan out a sugar baby for Mr Filsaime? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Per Gerry/Justin

2024 EE's

QB - Trey Owens

RB - Jerrick Gibson, Christian Clark(Maybe - Working through all the HOOPS you have to jump through out of Arizona)

WR - Ryan Wingo, Parker Livingstone(Wells notes that Livingstone should be able to go through spring ball)

TE - Jordan Washington

OL - Brandon Baker, Daniel Cruz

DL - D'Antre Robinson, Alex January(will be 17 when he steps foot on campus)

Edge - Colin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu

LB - NA

DB - Jordon Johnson-Rubell, Wardell Mack

Players of Note: TJ Lindsey, Xavier Filsaime, Tyanthony Smith, Kobe Black

13 commits confirmed EE's but If Clark makes it in early that is 14. With Kobe's upcoming commitment and potential flip of Filsaime and Smith that would push the number to 16-17.

Tyanthony Smith not visiting this weekend was a Texas decision that way the visit doesn't feel rushed. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) reporting that 5-star Safety Xavier Filsaime and his father were on campus today. Gerry said they are not ruling out another visit before Dec 20 signing day. 

https://247sports.com/player/xavier-filsaime-46103308/

Wow. I'd missed that he was so highly rated. Hope he got that Longhorn vibe while he was on campus. If he and Kobe Black were to sign, where would that put our class ranking? I need to decide whether to say it's important or not.

And thanks to you and others who post links with player news.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Wow. I'd missed that he was so highly rated. Hope he got that Longhorn vibe while he was on campus. If he and Kobe Black were to sign, where would that put our class ranking? I need to decide whether to say it's important or not.

And thanks to you and others who post links with player news.

top 5....

It would put us at 3 in between tOSU and FSU on 247.  I assume that FSU may still have some momentum but that would likely lock up a top 5 class addressing what I perceive to be our biggest needs. Edge rusher/secondary and a difference maker at WR while continuing to add quality depth elsewhere on the lines.  Smith at LB would be a cherry on top. 

• Like 1