Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

I like The Athletic. I pay money for The Athletic. But their recruiting coverage is so hilariously bad that it makes me wonder why they even bother. Here’s a scorching hawt take from a recruiting roundup article posted today. You’ve been warned. 

Spoiler

• There are only four programs that currently have three five-star prospects committed. Texasis one of them. The Longhorns just made the Playoff for the first time, but that doesn’t mean their roster hasn’t always been loaded. It has. There are too many good players in the state of Texas for the Longhorns to ever be left wanting for more, which makes going national a little easier, too. Texas’ three-star prospects include an offensive lineman out of California (Brandon Baker), a receiver out of St. Louis (Ryan Wingo) and an edge rusher from in-state (Colin Simmons). Texas’ class ranks No. 10 nationally and includes four top-100 players.

• Texas’ class could be better, though. The Horns just haven’t been good enough in the state. The top 18 players in the Lone Star State are ranked in the top 100 nationally. Texas has commitments from one (Simmons). In a banner year on the field, you’d think the Longhorns would be crushing it in-state. Texas could be on the verge of signing a mega class, but it isn’t.

• Haha 8

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I like The Athletic. I pay money for The Athletic. But their recruiting coverage is so hilariously bad that it makes me wonder why they even bother. Here’s a scorching hawt take from a recruiting roundup article posted today. You’ve been warned. 

Hide contents

• There are only four programs that currently have three five-star prospects committed. Texasis one of them. The Longhorns just made the Playoff for the first time, but that doesn’t mean their roster hasn’t always been loaded. It has. There are too many good players in the state of Texas for the Longhorns to ever be left wanting for more, which makes going national a little easier, too. Texas’ three-star prospects include an offensive lineman out of California (Brandon Baker), a receiver out of St. Louis (Ryan Wingo) and an edge rusher from in-state (Colin Simmons). Texas’ class ranks No. 10 nationally and includes four top-100 players.

• Texas’ class could be better, though. The Horns just haven’t been good enough in the state. The top 18 players in the Lone Star State are ranked in the top 100 nationally. Texas has commitments from one (Simmons). In a banner year on the field, you’d think the Longhorns would be crushing it in-state. Texas could be on the verge of signing a mega class, but it isn’t.

The Texas rankings are skill position heavy this year. We missed out on the top WRs in Texas but we got Wingo. The two guys we got in Texas seem pretty meh. At DB, after Filsaime and Black, I would argue that we will have the best class in the country. Gipson and Bridges would be downgrades from both our in state and out of state DBs. QB doesn't matter this year for us. At running back we did better than what was available in state. OL could have been better, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone good pops for us later. The same goes for DL. At edge, we did just fine in state. At LB, we missed on Williams and don't really have a backup plan. TE recruiting should have been better, also.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The Texas rankings are skill position heavy this year. We missed out on the top WRs in Texas but we got Wingo. The two guys we got in Texas seem pretty meh. At DB, after Filsaime and Black, I would argue that we will have the best class in the country. Gipson and Bridges would be downgrades from both our in state and out of state DBs. QB doesn't matter this year for us. At running back we did better than what was available in state. OL could have been better, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone good pops for us later. The same goes for DL. At edge, we did just fine in state. At LB, we missed on Williams and don't really have a backup plan. TE recruiting should have been better, also.

Does it really matter if Texas goes and gets Makuba, Shepperd, Juice Wells, etc.? 

37 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Hide contents

This works for the Athletic: https://www.textise.net/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

so A&M bringing in Klein basically completely resets their offensive board, doesn't match up with the talent they have on campus and doesn't really have any built in advantages in that they were not recruiting the same dudes as KSU.

realllllllllllllly interested to see if they move on from their QBs, Anthony Maddox and Miles O'Neil. assume they are with Maddox saying he is going to visit.

their current class has no offensive skill players in the top 10 of their class and their highest ranked skill player in the composite is a TE ranked #410 who is the same overall score as the #63 player in Texas (Ernest Campbell)

offensive players in their class (non OL):

• TE Eric Karner from IL
  • WR Ernest Campbell WR from Refugio who is 5'8"
  • QB Maddox
  • QB O'Neill
  • WR Jaylan Hornsby from NJ
  • WR Debron Gatling from GA

So aggy brought in Elko to hold onto E-Rob and keep their 2022 recruiting class intact.

E-Rob leaves, their good 2022 players portal, and now their offensive is a complete revamp. 

Why did they hire Elko again?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Or maybe our coaching staff just didn't value some of these guys as much as some of the ones they got or pursued?

Edited by mannewers

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It is short for-

“How are you doing yourself?”

…so try not to punch a baby unless you’re sure you can get away with it.

🤜👶🏻

If I said that I would get some odd looks from the near-Social Security supermarket checker who can't wait to get home to her 25-year old comfy chair, smokes, and TV stories. "Fine. Yourself?" it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

so A&M bringing in Klein basically completely resets their offensive board, doesn't match up with the talent they have on campus and doesn't really have any built in advantages in that they were not recruiting the same dudes as KSU.

realllllllllllllly interested to see if they move on from their QBs, Anthony Maddox and Miles O'Neil. assume they are with Maddox saying he is going to visit.

their current class has no offensive skill players in the top 10 of their class and their highest ranked skill player in the composite is a TE ranked #410 who is the same overall score as the #63 player in Texas (Ernest Campbell)

offensive players in their class (non OL):

• TE Eric Karner from IL
  • WR Ernest Campbell WR from Refugio who is 5'8"
  • QB Maddox
  • QB O'Neill
  • WR Jaylan Hornsby from NJ
  • WR Debron Gatling from GA

Hornsby is likely flipping to Syracuse this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

…allow me to quote myself…

UNLESS…

”I will allow myself to quote myself.”

Mick Jagger doesn’t sing “Please allow me to introduce myself.” for nothing.

🤘

___-self pronouns are reflexive. The subject has to mirror the object.

I… myself.

You… yourself.

He/She/It… himself/herself/itself.

We… ourselves.

You… yourselves.

They… themselves.

————————-

The Longhorn podcasts use “myself” as a subjective pronoun all the time… but then again, almost none of those guys know what the hell a past participle is or when to use it.

Despite what aggies think, we are NOT “the Stanford/Cal of the east”.

And so ends another episode of "Dinner Conversations of the Un-laid."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per IT Live

Solomon Williams is a Texas/Bama battle, the E-Rob leaving A&M took them out. Nick Saban is planning to go in home with Williams....will Sark go in home with him?

"Go in home." There has to be a better way to phrase that so it doesn't sound kinda like gay sex.

Edited by Reese Bennett
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Does it really matter if Texas goes and gets Makuba, Shepperd, Juice Wells, etc.? 

Maybe, maybe not. Sark, I think wants to recruit well rounded classes each year and doesn't want to have to rely on the portal. Finding a WR in the portal is easy but finding an equal replacement for Worthy will not be. Replacing Ford won't be easy and replacing Sweat and Murphy won't be easy, and replacing Sanders won't be easy but none were going to be replaced by freshman recruits anyway.

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I mean, Jordan Washington is ranked as the top TE in Texas. I guess we could have gotten that OOS TE we were on early (already forgot the name), but I don’t see how we could have done better in-state at that spot.

It’s going to be funny to see the reaction of some next cycle when they realize this season will only increase our OOS presence even more. Will be tough to deal with for those who still believe in “locking down all the Texas talent first”.

I thought the staff had a good plan this year at key spots that were relatively weak in-state (DT being the biggest outside of January).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I mean, Jordan Washington is ranked as the top TE in Texas. I guess we could have gotten that OOS TE we were on early (already forgot the name), but I don’t see how we could have done better in-state at that spot.

It’s going to be funny to see the reaction of some next cycle when they realize this season will only increase our OOS presence even more. Will be tough to deal with for those who still believe in “locking down all the Texas talent first”.

I thought the staff had a good plan this year at key spots that were relatively weak in-state (DT being the biggest outside of January).

I think next year we will sign a higher percentage of Texas guys because in-state is better along the DL, OL and LB.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ryner Swanson who went to BYU. Both ranked similarly. Washington looks more fluid than him.

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I cringe when I ask someone, “How are you?” and they respond, “Fine. And yourself?” It makes me want to punch a baby. 

You're right about the grammar, of course. I hadn't thought about it. I doubt that I can break myself from saying it. I think I'll just chalk it up as a Texasism.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would hope he is more explosive. Beck weighs 40lbs more. Maybe, he means more explosive as a recruit - but I doubt people have any clue how explosive Beck was in high school.

I don't think Beck ever had that kind of top end speed. The dude has great feet and contact balance too. I have no idea if we have a chance at a flip, but he is a really interesting prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think Beck ever had that kind of top end speed. The dude has great feet and contact balance too. I have no idea if we have a chance at a flip, but he is a really interesting prospect. 

Beck got going pretty damn fast on that 90 yard kickoff return for a TD earlier this year.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do people still think in 2023 that our recruiting class should be majority Texas HS guys?

I do in the strong years, becuase when it makes sense there are additional advantages over taking tons of OOS kids. Namely, they're less likely to get homesick, so the ones you like are more likely to stick. Additoinally, A&M isn't a national power in recruiting, unless they're paying for it. So by taking the cream in Texas you're also making it that much more difficult for your regional competition with no national brand to acquire talent. Or it depletes their NIL funds to do such. 

So yes, when it makes sense, I think the class should be majority Texas guys. That being said, always take the most talented kid who will commit to you.  

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

With an offer this late, I am assuming that Texas thinks they can flip Andrews and that they absolutely think he's worth the effort. It's odd to me that they think he's a better candidate at H-back than LB, but okay.

And somewhere there’s a post where I questioned aggy wanting him at h back when Utah thinks he’s a lb, when they offered. So yeah I have the same opinion here, just less entertained. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I do in the strong years, becuase when it makes sense there are additional advantages over taking tons of OOS kids. Namely, they're less likely to get homesick, so the ones you like are more likely to stick. Additoinally, A&M isn't a national power in recruiting, unless they're paying for it. So by taking the cream in Texas you're also making it that much more difficult for your regional competition with no national brand to acquire talent. Or it depletes their NIL funds to do such. 

So yes, when it makes sense, I think the class should be majority Texas guys. That being said, always take the most talented kid who will commit to you.  

For the 2025 class, it is going to make a lot of sense. 

For the 2024 class, I worry that I'm being a homer when I look at everything. Texas is likely to land 3 of the top 10 players coming off of an 8-5 season. They have legitimate reasons for not landing one of the highly rated guys at QB and it looks like the guy that they did land is a lot better than anyone originally thought. Then you have a bunch of guys between 11-30 in the rankings that I don't want and haven't wanted. Then I scroll down and see Alex January ranked in the high 70's and remember that Tvondre Sweat was in the 80's and Murphy was in the bottom 50 in the in-state rankings and say, "yeah". 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For the 2025 class, it is going to make a lot of sense. 

For the 2024 class, I worry that I'm being a homer when I look at everything. Texas is likely to land 3 of the top 10 players coming off of an 8-5 season. They have legitimate reasons for not landing one of the highly rated guys at QB and it looks like the guy that they did land is a lot better than anyone originally thought. Then you have a bunch of guys between 11-30 in the rankings that I don't want and haven't wanted. Then I scroll down and see Alex January ranked in the high 70's and remember that Tvondre Sweat was in the 80's and Murphy was in the bottom 50 in the in-state rankings and say, "yeah". 

And there's more context in there than just the QB situation. Micah Hudson as the #1 WR, being one example. But yeah, it's easy to also give into Homer analysis and a "Well, these guys have shown they can evaluate talent" when you look at choices like Santanna Wilson or 'Zina. And as other posters said, we did better OOS than the in state option in spots, like Brandon Baker and at RB. But I guess these guys are going to have to prove us wrong first, at this point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

"Well, these guys have shown they can evaluate talent" when you look at choices like Santanna Wilson or 'Zina

The low ranking of Wilson is a head scratcher. His dad was good in the NFL and was just a little bigger. His film looks good. His production looks good. He was an early target. I think the only knock is that he isn't in a talent rich state with lots of $9.95 analysts.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The low ranking of Wilson is a head scratcher. His dad was good in the NFL and was just a little bigger. His film looks good. His production looks good. He was an early target. I think the only knock is that he isn't in a talent rich state with lots of $9.95 analysts.

I get it man, I agree. But it's an example of potential Homer-thought. 

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Since we're on the topic, my rankings head scratcher this year is Daniel Cruz. His junior and senior tapes are just a steady stream of pancakes and by accounts he's been good in camps. 247 thinks there are 65 better players in Texas this year?

Historically, the $9.95ers have been idiots when it comes to ranking OLinemen.  Tray Allen was a 5 star after all.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Since we're on the topic, my rankings head scratcher this year is Daniel Cruz. His junior and senior tapes are just a steady stream of pancakes and by accounts he's been good in camps. 247 thinks there are 65 better players in Texas this year?

This is one of the more egregious mistakes.  Even if you discount the center position and  offensive lineman in general, the fact that this was Flood's top offensive line priority and will likely be competing for snaps as a true freshman if Majors leaves (I assume unlikely) should be a tip off that he's not a 3 star.  But in the end, it's not about each individual player but making sure you get a good share of the 5 and high 4 stars that are good mental evals and picking up the undervalued high ceiling 3 stars.  I think Cruz is a very high floor, high ceiling guy at the second most important position on the offensive line and should have been a top 20 player in Texas...

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And there's more context in there than just the QB situation. Micah Hudson as the #1 WR, being one example. But yeah, it's easy to also give into Homer analysis and a "Well, these guys have shown they can evaluate talent" when you look at choices like Santanna Wilson or 'Zina. And as other posters said, we did better OOS than the in state option in spots, like Brandon Baker and at RB. But I guess these guys are going to have to prove us wrong first, at this point. 

At least we're getting guys from some pipeline schools in-state. 2 from Duncanville, likely 1 incoming from Waco Connaly, 1 Atascocita, Allen, etc.