Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know nothing about the what Williams is prioritizing but based on the schools he's visiting this is about to be a major $ play. 

i was going to double up my TOF recurring donation starting in January - but I will triple it in February if we land Ryan Williams. 

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

Stampede

Reveal hidden contents

Since the news broke on Monday, Nov. 27 that Florida defensive backs coach Corey Raymond would be relieved of his coaching duties, Texas has been trending to flip McKinney five-star safety Xavier Filsaime off of his commitment to the Gators.

Filsaime has been committed to the Gators since April 13 but has taken visits to USC and Texas in the last two months, with his trip to Texas remaining a secret until that visit had concluded. It was the first visit Filsaime took to the Forty Acres, and in the time since the Longhorns were working to get the five-star to return to Austin for an official visit.

With dates set for the five-star to be in Austin for an official visit the weekend of Dec. 15-17, it certainly looks like the Texas staff will accomplish their goal of getting Filsaime back on the Forty Acres.

While other programs like Georgia, Oregon, and SMU found themselves somewhat involved following the firing of Raymond, it’s well-established behind the scenes and on the record that this is a two-team race between Texas and Florida.

With signing day less than 10 days away on Dec. 20, anything can happen as the recruiting world has shown time and time again, but for now, Texas is clearly trending for the five-star from the DFW metroplex and thus I’ve entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns to flip Filsaime off of his Florida pledge with a confidence level of 6.

Texas continues its hunt for defensive linemen in the class of 2024. On Thursday, defensive line coach Bo Davis stopped off in Lexington, Miss. to see four-star Mississippi State commit Terrance Hibbler. The Longhorns have actively recruited the 6-foot-3, 285-pounder for some time now, including hosting Hibbler on an official visit in the summer, even after he had already pledged to the Bulldogs. Of course, MSU has gone through a coaching transition with Jeff Lebby now leading the program. Hibbler is coming off a return official visit to Starkville this past weekend that, by all accounts, looks to have gone well. We caught up with one source this weekend to ask about Hibbler’s status with the Bulldogs and whether Texas is making any headway. They replied, “I think anything can happen, Bo is doing a great job recruiting him.” We’ll be on the lookout to see whether Sark makes a visit out the Magnolia State this week. -- Hank South  

Horns247 recently took the temperature of five-star defensive back Kobe Black's recruitment ahead of an original commitment date of Nov. 29. The announcement got pushed back to Wednesday, Dec. 13 at 4:15 p.m. CT, but the temperature is holding steady in the oven. The Longhorns have been trending in this recruitment since the summer, based off his relationship with the staff, including Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian, Black's friends and former teammates on the roster at Texas, as well as the need. A pledge from Black would vault Texas' 2024 class into the top five as things currently stand based off the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings. -- Hank South

Longhorns special teams and tight ends coach Jeff Banks visited five-star Georgia linebacker commit Justin Williams last week in the Houston area. “They just said basically if anything changes let us know, but we really want you,” Williams told Horns247 of his time spent with Banks. As we’ve reported here in the past, flipping Williams was always going to be a tall task. That remains the case today. Williams said he has no plans to officially visit Texas this weekend. “I’m locked in with Georgia,” he said. Williams was unsure whether or not Sark would be in this week to visit with him. -- Hank South 

A little bit of a rehash, but Horns247 recently reported that despite Florida working on getting four-star running back and Texas commit Jerrick Gibson to campus for an official visit, the Gibson family opted to take no more visits and focus on getting ready for the move to Austin. Gibson hopes to enroll in time to join the team for bowl practices, but he’ll be with the program in January regardless. Running backs coach Tashard Choice has obviously played a major role here in both landing Gibson and holding off the hometown Gators from flipping the talented ball carrier. 

Please please please! If we sign black and Fil…that gives us some strong pieces if what we have left isn’t up to what we need. Based on MM this year and DW, play them a bit in the early weeks and if they show they can handle The speed then let the freshman play!

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Read somewhere else that said Wingo as an early enrollee was going to practice with the team during bowl workouts. Is that even possible if he hasn’t enrolled in school? The first day of spring semester is 1/16 or something.

Yes it’s allowed as long as he’s signed. He’s on the team, just can’t play. And, I presume would not be on scholarship yet so can’t do activities limited to scholarship athletes. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Imagine bothering to do digital forensics on a benign recruiting photo. Such a sad existence. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit a phone with an Austin area code being used to take a picture of a Texas commit's in-home with the Texas staff? It's a conspiracy!

narrator:  "He didn't do digital forensics"

Also, it's helpful to know the the EXIF data on a photograph can contain device information like Make & Model , Geolocation (coordinates), Date & Time, camera settings (speed, focal length, flash), etc.. The main privacy concern is around including locations, but most social media services strip that data anyhow. But there is not a phone camera in existence that includes the phone number of the device that took the picture. What a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Five-star safety Xavier Filsaime hosting two in home visits this week
The scope is narrowing for five-star safety Xavier Filsaime as he gets set to host two in home visits this week
Mike Roach

tl;dr

- Texas, Florida doing in-homes

- Oregon, SMU not doing in-homes ("scheduling issues")

You're welcome.

Reveal hidden contents

Five-star safety Xavier Filsaime hosting two in home visits this week
The scope is narrowing for five-star safety Xavier Filsaime as he gets set to host two in home visits this week
Mike Roach

Five-star safety Xavier Filsaime has several eyes on him leading up to the early signing period. The McKinney (Texas) safety committed to Florida in the spring, but several schools continue to push.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Filsaime is ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

Though the Gators have been trying to hold on, pushes from Oregon, Texas and SMU have him considering some options. 247Sports spoke with a source this week to get the latest on where things stand with the elite defender.

Florida will be in-home this week with head coach Billy Napier joining Austin Armstrong and Will Harris who is close to being officially named as the newest Florida defensive back coach. That visit is expected to take place on Wednesday.

Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon will be back in early this week. Gideon and Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian were there last week, and Gideon will be back for one last meeting before Filsaime takes his official visit to Austin this weekend.

Oregon and SMU are not expected to visit this week. Both schools tried to get Filsaime in for a visit last week but couldn’t make the scheduling work.

The 247Sports scouting report on Filsaime reads as follows:

”Athletic back-end defender with experience in all three phases and verified athleticism in multiple environments. A receiver early on who made the full-time switch to the secondary. Coincidentally, a weapon in the kicking game at punter as well. Physical tools, football IQ, and athleticism likely make for a core special teamer early in college.

Requisite height and length with frame space to add more mass. Owns excellent speed markers, including a 10.55 100 as a sophomore. Combine testing includes impressive broad jump explosiveness. Track and combine athleticism translate to the field. Triggers quickly and closes fast downhill. Extremely broad pursuit range. Has shown gradual improvement in tackling consistency to the point of being a striking threat early in his senior season. Has gained strength as well, reflected by ability to get ball carriers to the ground even without a clean shot.

Productive tackler who's around the ball regularly vs. the run and the pass. Quick-footed and fluid in coverage with turn-and-run juice. Capable of matching up with receivers, tight ends, and backs. Would like to see more takeaway production in the passing game. Athleticism and triggering ability occasionally lead to overpursuit. Good tackler but technique gets compromised at times.”

Early in senior season, represents one of the elite safeties in the 2024 class. Can give you snaps at cornerback, nickel, over the top, and in the box thanks to physical prowess and athleticism. Projects as a potential high-major impact player with traits that could lead to early-round NFL Draft upside.

I think you meant MR;dr

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think you meant MR;dr

Not the greatest write up I have read

Harris was in his first season with the Chargers after serving as a defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Georgia Southern in 2022. That year, the Eagles had one of the worst defenses in the FBS, though their roster and talent level was a significant reason why. Harris spent the prior four seasons coaching defensive backs at Washington where his units ranked among the best in the Pac-12.

In fact, during the 2021 season, Washington allowed just 1,720 yards passing and six touchdowns through the air — both fewest in the nation — while grabbing 10 interceptions. His Huskies secondary units included first-round NFL Draft choice Trent McDuffie and second-round pick Kyler Gordon among multiple All-Pac-12 first- and second-team selections.

While Harris was the secondary coach at Washington, the unit was largely led by former Huskies head coach Jimmy Lake. Therefore, it’s tough to say who deserves credit for its success, though it’s notable the unit regressed following Lake’s departure.

https://www.onlygators.com/12/10/2023/florida-football-chargers-assistant-will-harris-set-to-be-hired-as-next-gators-defensive-backs-coach/

5 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

An appearance by everyone's favorite racist aggy Daniel Figurelli in the comments

2292b41fc5c4a1ffc13ff1e3473c675f.jpg

The area code of a phone is NOT included in metadata of a picture.  This guy is just making shit up.  There's a lot of stuff in the metadata like Platform (Apple/Android/etc), but not your area code.  This guy is so full of shit.  Also, I looked and the location metadata is not in the file that was uploaded

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The area code of a phone is NOT included in metadata of a picture.  This guy is just making shit up.  There's a lot of stuff in the metadata like Platform (Apple/Android/etc), but not your area code.  This guy is so full of shit.  Also, I looked and the location metadata is not in the file that was uploaded

Can someone even explain to me what the implication even is? I don’t understand what noted racist Daniel Figurelli is accusing us of. If a coach handed off his phone to somebody for the picture, why wouldn’t it be a 512 number?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Can someone even explain to me what the implication even is? I don’t understand what noted racist Daniel Figurelli is accusing us of. If a coach handed off his phone to somebody for the picture, why wouldn’t it be a 512 number?

Not clue TBH, but just more evidence that he's a lying scumbag.

Edit:  On second thought, only thing I could think of is the implication that our coaches are feeding Wiltfong info directly.  While not any sort of violation, it would show that Wiltfong is potentially biased.  The funny thing is we all know Wiltfong gets a ton of info from Elko

Edited by JesusSweatDuck

31 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The implication is that he is mentally unwell.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

While you and I may be familiar with the concept of "lets see who took the best picture of the group and use that one," Daniel has no friends and has never been asked to take a photograph with anyone in his life. The whole system confuses and frightens him

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Wait is that what the treefiddy club thing is? A 3.50 monthly donation to TOF?

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Burnt Ends is separate from the Texas One Fund and isn't run through Surly.  You can donate to both.

As I understand it: 

Texas One Fund: NIL collective

Burnt Ends: NIL program run by surly for Texas TEs. Not part of TOF. They get paid a yearly amount to go on the podcast and do some promo stuff

Tree fiddy club: donations to surly (I believe it goes towards server and tech costs, events like tailgates, BAMF awards, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

In his mind, it would somehow be the biggest scandal in recruiting history if a Texas coach texted the photo to Wiltfong.  Elko passes along info to Wiltfong all of the time, so it's a really stupid tree for an aggie to bark up.

I mean technically it would be a violation because the NCAA is stupid. It would be the same kind of infraction that Brewster committed when it was lit in College Station. A coach cannot officially comment on any recruit until NSD.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I wonder why Texas is having difficulty getting another top DL into the class. They have Davis, an Outland Trophy Winner, and clear development in Sweat and Murphy. 

tbf this class is pretty much already wrapped up. The pitch gets stronger every year but they couldn't sell dual all americans, outland trophy, etc back in July

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I wonder why Texas is having difficulty getting another top DL into the class. They have Davis, an Outland Trophy Winner, and clear development in Sweat and Murphy. 

There's always a one-class delay when translating on-field success to recruiting success. Let's see what happens for 2025