The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Do you have to register to poke around on that site?  If so, I think I'll stick to TexAgs.  It's basically the same thing.

I don't have an account, so I can't see everything, but it's doable. I usually just find a link (they all link in their twitter accounts because twitter is the real cachet)

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm never going to be satisfied with the "kill all Trumpkins, let God sort em out" sentiment that permeates this thread.

Sorry if that offends someone.

Doesn't offend me. I am not glad she died, but she made a choice and the consequences were permanent.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That is 100% bullshit said just to make yourself feel better and you know it.

It is the impression that I had and continue to have to some extent.  And you are not a student of shagthink if you don't believe more than a few people think that way.

• Fuck You 1

Took a little dive on Parler. Ugh.
Anyway, various pro Trump orgs are calling yesterday's stunt a "seige." Words matter. Makes me wonder if attorneys need to be screen capturing some of the threats and plans because some of these folks aren't hiding a whole lot. Also, how thorough are the security sweeps they do prior to inauguration? People were absolutely crawling all over the inaugural stands being built. I'd go over that with a fine tooth comb.

Did you come across the people that said the shooting yesterday was fake and it was crisis actors the entire time? Because I sure did.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a better analysis than most.

Because most analysis around here I think was "Trumpkin=traitor/treason=summary death penalty."

I'm no fan of Trump or Trumpkins, so those accusations are fucking absurd.

I agree that their actions were traitorous.

My first impression was that she was shot mostly at random, most especially when I thought it was the dude with the M4.  I still have a nagging feeling that one of the armed types, with flexcuffs and shit was probably a better candidate for the summary death penalty.

I agree that more force should have been used with them, short of deadly force.  Gas, riot batons, asps, bring it on.

I'm never going to be satisfied with the "kill all Trumpkins, let God sort em out" sentiment that permeates this thread.

Good explanation but now that the heat of the moment is up what should we do with them?

You would know better than me which charges were applicable.  There is video evidence of their actions. There is probably a conspiracy angle, people died while they were committing these crimes, and they went way past criminal trespass.

I assume you are more open to the appropriate punishment following due process?

It is the impression that I had and continue to have to some extent.  And you are not a student of shagthink if you don't believe more than a few people think that way.

No, you're just being stupid because you can't admit that your fanatical devotion to playing devil's advocate leaves you looking like a fool sometimes. And this is definitely one of those cases.

Your claim is that the majority opinion around here is that every Trump supporter should be executed.

That is beyond stupid and you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Good explanation but now that the heat of the moment is up what should we do with them?

You would know better than me which charges were applicable.  There is video evidence of their actions. There is probably a conspiracy angle, people died while they were committing these crimes, and they went way past criminal trespass.

I assume you are more open to the appropriate punishment following due process?

Try em for whatever we can.  I think seditious conspiracy is fully on the table as is insurrection.  I'm not sure what else could be dug up, but I'm sure there's some kind of interstate travel to commit a crime or something of that nature.  Also, I think ol Trumpy bear himself took credit for some newish federal property vandalism statute.

I don't think treason is really on the table, because it is very sparingly used, and it tends to be used in the actual, declared war context.

Also, looked at the DC Code and federal murder and, while there is a remnant of the felony murder rule, it only dispenses with the need to prove an intent to kill, you still have to cause death in the commission of another crime.  It isn't as broad as the common law rule, which would put all participants on the hook when a death occurs in the commission of another felony.

And yes, absolutely fine for trying them and punishing them in accordance with the rule of law.  I'm opposed to the death penalty, generally, so not for that.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Fuck You 1

I would like a glimpse into the alternate universe where Trump won the election and leftists stoked by Biden made a run at the joint session.  You'd see maybe a bit of shuffling of the deck, but I think that most people would  be equally appalled. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know what's orwellian? A governmental official threatening a private entity--which has a constitutional right to free speech, see Citizens United--for not publishing what he wants published, and having the temerity to claim that it is they who are violating the First Amendment.

Indeed. And very Morisettian that the very first thing in his twitter bio is "Constitutional Lawyer."  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I would like a glimpse into the alternate universe where Trump won the election and leftists stoked by Biden made a run at the joint session.  You'd see maybe a bit of shuffling of the deck, but I think that most people would  be equally appalled. 

Biden could stoke and they'd still just knit vagina hats and yell at the sky.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It might offend people with grass allergies, given the size of that strawman you just tossed out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

A PRIVATE BUSINESS IS OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE ME WITH A PLATFORM FOR MY STUPID ASS VIEWS!!!!

I doubt it's the platform that he's miffed about.  That's just pandering to the morons.  He probably lost out on a tidy advance and several million in residual payments.

Politician books are a fucking racket.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hey, asshole--the purpose of the Capitol breach wasn't to vandalize property.  If they were just trying to cart off the Speaker's podium or trash her office, maybe I'd agree with you.  But they weren't doing that.

Their purpose in entering the Capitol was to carry out a putsch.  Don't take my word for it--take that of Elizabeth from Knoxville or any number of other assholes who are on social media.

They wouldn't have stormed the Capitol if it were empty, as the protesters tried to do with the courthouse in Portland.  They stormed the Capitol precisely because it was full with both houses of Congress sitting in joint session and being presided over by the Vice President.  Their goal was to prevent that joint session of Congress from counting the electoral votes, which they accomplished, even if it was just for a few hours?

Why?  What is accomplished if they prevent the electoral votes from being counted?

They honestly thought--because the were basically told this by Donald Trump and any number of his acolytes--that if they could prevent the electoral votes from being counted, then the person who was elected president in a free and fair election conducted according to constitutional processes would be prevented from taking office.  That would allow Trump to remain in office, even though he lost the election.  Presumably, he would remain in office indefinitely.  That's definitely what Trump has offered in the past.

So let's get that real fucking straight.  Their crime wasn't vandalism.  Their crime wasn't theft.  Their crime was attempting to overthrow the government of the United States.  And yeah--putschists get shot.

Remember this.  It's very important.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because most analysis around here I think was "Trumpkin=traitor/treason=summary death penalty."

My first impression was that she was shot mostly at random, most especially when I thought it was the dude with the M4.  I still have a nagging feeling that one of the armed types, with flexcuffs and shit was probably a better candidate for the summary death penalty.

I agree that more force should have been used with them, short of deadly force.  Gas, riot batons, asps, bring it on.

Seriously, this is all bullshit. Every single person has had the exact same analysis and though process. No one though deadly force was justified just because they disagreed with these idiots. You're just making shit up now. I know you're better than this. Just admit you were and are wrong. Because you are. Painfully wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That’s a wild misinterpretation of the views of this thread and you know it. 

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That is 100% bullshit said just to make yourself feel better and you know it.

This.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m starting to realize that when someone declares themselves a patriot, they are anything but.

I give dad pearls of wisdom to my sons

One of them is: “never hire plumbers lawyers electricians or the like if the company name or advertising starts with “Christian”.

Same deal. If they have to say it, they likely aren’t.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Literally no one on this board has said anything like “She’s a Trumpkin so kill her”.

Every single person pushing back on your arguments today has cited the many, many laws she broke when she invaded our Nation’s Capitol and tried to violently breach the last line of defense in a building with almost our full line of succession. After being warned more times than she should rightfully expect.

You’re wrong and you don’t like it.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Hypothetically, if a person of prominence incites a riot that foreseeably results in the death of one or more persons, can't that be charged as felony murder? Normally I hate "law of parties" type stuff but if we're going to apply it to joe average who drives a buddy to a liquor store robbery, can't it apply here?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

For what it’s worth, at least a few of them appear to have been trying to carry off the certificates from the states. Which we should take very seriously. 

Curious bit of trivia I've picked up studying the Electoral Count Act, copies are transmitted to the National Archivist, to the Senate, and to the state Secretary of State.  

Another copy is to be transmitted to the district judge in the state capital.

So it looks like those contingencies would have been covered.

Our right-wing surly friends really believe that "both sides" arguments are them being open minded or an honest acknowledgment of flaws. It is as far as their mind can go: stating both sides are equally bad. Unfortunately, the past four years are not going to erase themself from our collective consciousness nor our history. And America has a long memory.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It’s like you’re doing a parody of an @Anastasis post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He never acknowledged he lost the election or that Joe Biden won.  Not exactly a concession. 

I'm going with it...the media should as well, biggest type they can put up on the screen, shove it down his fat fucking face.

After all of this, you're nothing but a fucking loser.

Edited by Surly Bevo

46 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey, a new Trump video.  I think he's reading it at gunpoint.

Where?  Am I that lazy? Maybe.

I saw the one that Don Jr posted of Trump watching the riots in some sort of campaign command post.

46 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey, a new Trump video.  I think he's reading it at gunpoint.

Where?  Am I that lazy? Maybe.

I saw the one that Don Jr posted of Trump watching the riots in some sort of campaign command post.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I'm going with it...the media should as well, biggest type they can put up on the screen, shove it down his fat fucking face.

His cult following doesn’t hear a concession in that speech and they aren’t going to trust a chyron on “fake” cable news.  

He knows what he’s doing.