Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

This is fair. Most of the second half I was bitching at the TV to cover Hutchinson.  Shade coverage to him. Put Jamison on him 1 on 1. Do something. Sark was explaining to the media that Worthy is seeing a lot of double teams just last week. Perhaps he should explain the concept to the defensive staff 

A couple of times, even when Hutchinson wasnt targeted, I was horrified when I saw him getting single coverage.

It seems like PK's philosophy is to deploy a soft zone shell and keep everything in front of the D, no over the top plays.  He's content giving up chunks of 7+ yards a pop and forcing an offense to consistently execute over and over and figure we'll bend but not break.  It's really not pretty football to watch.  OTOH we did get two turnovers but we also got really lucky with a drop on a wiiiide open deep ball and a few others by ISU.

If we had any kind of push in the front we'd be twice as effective in our zone because it would force the QB to make a faster decision.  Unfortunately we don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is Overshown any good? This is a honest question. 

He's struggled on the edge and at LB. He occasionally makes a big play. At what point do you say this guy simply isn't that good? 

He is good when he is kept clean and allowed to be cut loose. 

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We should line up Keilan Robinson on 3rd and long in the Overshown role of “ridiculously wide 9 technique edge who is just going to try to run up field with no discernible pass rushing moves.”  And I’m only half joking.  Overshown does nothing as a pass rusher and should be moved back to off ball LB roles, and at least Keilan explodes with his first step and gets home around the edge on punt and kick blocks. He would probably be more disruptive than any of our current blisters on obvious passing downs, and he only plays a handful of snaps on offense.

Can someone explain to me what Overshown does well? I guess he’s pretty good at wearing multiple wrist bands.

38 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He's struggled on the edge and at LB. He occasionally makes a big play. At what point do you say this guy simply isn't that good? 

Ha didn’t see this.

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He’s not as good as he’s hyped up to be and it’s been that way for a while. Lots of boom or bust. He certainly isn’t good dropping into coverage and it’s been that way since day 1 when he switched to LB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He’s not as good as he’s hyped up to be and it’s been that way for a while. Lots of boom or bust. He certainly isn’t good dropping into coverage and it’s been that way since day 1 when he switched to LB.

Like @longhornmatt said they need to move Overshown back to a more traditional LB role. He's not good there but at least there's some value. 

Overshown does nothing on the edge. Just runs up field and takes himself out of the play more than anything. 

11 hours ago, 6th Street said:

UTSA: 9/16 on 3rd down
Texas Tech: 13/20 on 3rd&4th downs
WVU: 9/18 on 3rd down
ISU: 9/15 on 3rd down

Somebody did the math on the game thread. Take away the OU game and Texas is allowing 53% of third/fourth downs to be converted this season. That's. Fucking. Abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So, I started thinking.  PK's philosophy is obviously to make the other team beat themselves.  Think about it, since our zone coverages were not anywhere near the star wide receiver, we relied upon two extra defenders, the sideline and the Iowa State receivers dropping balls.  We're sitting here unhappy about 3rd and 4th down conversions, but PK is somewhere happy because his strategy was successful!  The other team dropped numerous balls, their receivers had to go to the sideline after catches, and they only scored 21 points.  Their QB cooled off after hitting 10 of 11 passes to start the game.    

Iow, I suspect he sees no reason for his strategy to change.  Rush 4 straight, no stunts, soft zone, keep everything in front.  The other team will make enough mistakes to keep their score low.  

Scoring average for the last two games is 10.5.   Even in the losses the point total is not too bad.  This guy is not only NOT changing, he is probably expecting a raise and a contract extension! 

Good grief. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not a fan of the scheme by any means. I personally prefer Greg Robinson (RIP), Muschamp, or even a Chris Ash type scheme. 

That being said, I would like to see this scheme with competent edge rushers on the field. Mathis may not have been worth 600k up front, but him in would have placed Ovie on the bench. The impact of that bump seems to be worth every penny of that price tag at this point. I wager that a significant percentage of those 3rd/4th down conversions would not have happened with competent edge play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

It seems like PK's philosophy is to deploy a soft zone shell and keep everything in front of the D, no over the top plays.  He's content giving up chunks of 7+ yards a pop and forcing an offense to consistently execute over and over and figure we'll bend but not break.  It's really not pretty football to watch.  OTOH we did get two turnovers but we also got really lucky with a drop on a wiiiide open deep ball and a few others by ISU.

If we had any kind of push in the front we'd be twice as effective in our zone because it would force the QB to make a faster decision.  Unfortunately we don't.

The 1992 Cowboys used this very same method and had the 1 defense in the NFL for yds/game, but they got d line push and they brought it all game and had some great depth on the front.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me start by saying that watching the defense on 3rd & 4th down is incredibly frustrating.

If you look at points, we're #21 in the country in scoring defense.  We've held every opponent other than Tech below their scoring average.  And in most cases, we've held them to their lowest or 2nd lowest point total of the year.  The biggest outlier was Tech (their 2nd highest scoring game) and now ISU (their 4th highest).

But at some point, that inefficiency on 3rd/4th down is going to bite us (again).  And I have to believe it is demoralizing for the defense to get a team to 3rd & long, or even 4th & whatever, and then let them convert.  Over and over.  Like I said...frustrating...

• Like 4

We need to do something more to affect opposing quarterbacks at the beginning of the games. How is this a generational problem? 

Bryce Young started off almost perfect, but hey, he’s a Heisman winner.

i’m going off memory here, but I think Frank Harris was 14 of 16.

Donovan Smith was 13 of 14.

I believe I saw Dekkers was 13 of 14 as well yesterday.

Our soft zone has ED.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Yeah, it is becoming more and more apparent that this is completely intentional and not a personnel or execution issue, except as noted above.  And PK, unlike Sarkisian on the other side of the ball, doesn't seem to be trying to address the personnel deficiencies and is failing at overcoming the execution issues.

Seems like it's influenced by the old days of the Pac-12, which at one time seemed to be kind of a big-play offensive league.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

So I keep going back and forth about this defense.  If given the chance, I would part ways with PK but who would we hire that would be an immediate improvement.  Sark should give him the axe only if he has an actual DC that is proven.  We’ve seen what changing schemes and coaches constantly does.  This defense has issues but we still are holding teams from scoring and that is with major personnel issues.  Hutchinson and Noel are damn good WRs and they abused our freshmen CBS in Jordan and Brooks.  We still held them to 21 points.   

Also, these issues are not just limited to us.  Bama has been giving up tons of yards and points.  Okie lite who everyone sucks off here recently gave up 43 and blew a double digit 2nd half lead.  Baylor looks like shit after winning the conference last year.  Kansas all of the sudden looks beatable again.  Let’s let these games play out.  This is a good conference with good coaches.  If PK can get some impact edge players and some CBs that fit his system, we should be even better.  With all that said, if we can get someone like Muschamp or Odom… you make that switch immediately.  At the same time, not sure I would just fire PK given our improvement and roll the dice on another DC that may not be proven.  This team can make a run next year and it’s probably easier to find a few guys in the transfer portal to build on our improvement than to change schemes and start from scratch.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

We are absolutely lucky that Hutchison dropped  what should have been the easiest TD of his career. 

Actually that wouldn’t have been horrible if Iowa St scored quickly there because Texas would a least get the ball back with enough time time go down and score to win.  What we didn’t want is them running down the clock and then scoring a touchdown.  But I’ll take the fumble and I’ll like it.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So I keep going back and forth about this defense.  If given the chance, I would part ways with PK but who would we hire that would be an immediate improvement.  Sark should give him the axe only if he has an actual DC that is proven.  We’ve seen what changing schemes and coaches constantly does.  This defense has issues but we still are holding teams from scoring and that is with major personnel issues.  Hutchinson and Noel are damn good WRs and they abused our freshmen CBS in Jordan and Brooks.  We still held them to 21 points.   

Also, these issues are not just limited to us.  Bama has been giving up tons of yards and points.  Okie lite who everyone sucks off here recently gave up 43 and blew a double digit 2nd half lead.  Baylor looks like shit after winning the conference last year.  Kansas all of the sudden looks beatable again.  Let’s let these games play out.  This is a good conference with good coaches.  If PK can get some impact edge players and some CBs that fit his system, we should be even better.  With all that said, if we can get someone like Muschamp or Odom… you make that switch immediately.  At the same time, not sure I would just fire PK given our improvement and roll the dice on another DC that may not be proven.  This team can make a run next year and it’s probably easier to find a few guys in the transfer portal to build on our improvement than to change schemes and start from scratch.  

Iowa State is a horrible offense. Probably close to last in the Big 12. And they moved the ball up and down the field with ease in the 2H. Wide open receivers with nobody within 10 yards of them, easy pitch and catch on 3rd and long, etc. Add to that zero blitzes, just sitting back in zone letting them do whatever they want. Next week will get ugly with Sanders and those Ok State WR.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXpride said:

UW use to shut down Leach's offense at WSU. Was it all Jimmy Lake? What's he up to these days?

I'm thinking older than that.  Sometime like pre-2005.

The Leachian offense used to challenge some pretty well-thought-of DCs new to the B12 and elsewhere.  It's not really here anymore, but a lot of the concepts remain and still seem to challenge some coaches.

Just now, 6th Street said:

Iowa State is a horrible offense. Probably close to last in the Big 12. And they moved the ball up and down the field with ease in the 2H. Wide open receivers with nobody within 10 yards of them, easy pitch and catch on 3rd and long, etc. Add to that zero blitzes, just sitting back in zone letting them do whatever they want. Next week will get ugly with Sanders and those Ok State WR.

Yes, but we are a top 25 team in scoring defense this year and held Bama to their season low of 19 points.  We bitch a lot here and this defense has issues but not sure what else matters at the end of the day.  We’re keeping teams out of the end zone even if it looks ugly at times.  This can obviously change over the 2nd half of the season.  Also, Hutchinson is probably the best WR we’ve faced this year.  Those okie state WRs won’t be better than the Noel and Hutchinson. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TXpride said:

UW use to shut down Leach's offense at WSU. Was it all Jimmy Lake? What's he up to these days?

Ousted as head coach at Washington. Well, tan, and rested. Maybe he is the "magic bullet" that needs to come in and make PK's defense hit on all cylinders. We still need to get pressure on the QB though.

CHIEF

Won't pick on them too much until they break again. I'm still happy with this defense. Aside from the "keep everything in front and make the offense execute" angle of the defense, there's also the factor that people don't mention as much..... The more you plays you run, the better change our defense is going to make a big play themselves. An INT, a forced fumble, etc. If OK state can't handle our D line, we'll see big plays next week. 

It might be an oversight, but I want to see Sanders prove it. I remember seeing him two years ago and thinking how much of a fraud he was. Obvs he's older and in the system now, but make him prove he can make a 2nd or 3rd read. 

33 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We’re going to fuck up Okie Lite a lot more than most people think.

• Hook 'Em 1

Won't pick on them too much until they break again. I'm still happy with this defense. Aside from the "keep everything in front and make the offense execute" angle of the defense, there's also the factor that people don't mention as much..... The more you plays you run, the better change our defense is going to make a big play themselves. An INT, a forced fumble, etc. If OK state can't handle our D line, we'll see big plays next week. 
It might be an oversight, but I want to see Sanders prove it. I remember seeing him two years ago and thinking how much of a fraud he was. Obvs he's older and in the system now, but make him prove he can make a 2nd or 3rd read. 

His INT’s are way down this year so he seems to be taking better care of the ball; though TCU got one and missed two that hit their defenders square in the hands/chest, so the opportunities are still there. It isn’t like Texas will make a pick with any degree of difficulty but it’s certainly possible he throws one right to them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

We have to get it right on 3rd down. Over and over and over again they just pick us apart in the middle of the field. Other than that the defense has played great this year. 

Without a solid pass rush and a play maker in the secondary, I have little hope that it will change dramatically. I was thinking about the game and wondering has a DB or LB jumped a route all year? Maybe I missed it, but I can’t recall an instance 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Without a solid pass rush and a play maker in the secondary, I have little hope that it will change dramatically. I was thinking about the game and wondering has a DB or LB jumped a route all year? Maybe I missed it, but I can’t recall an instance 

It seems like we try to shrink the pocket instead of just a straight pass rush. 

That OU game sure does screw up the numbers. Gabriel would have lead them to plenty of points based on what we’ve seen other teams do and how OU does well with him playing. Any season over season comparison needs to throw that game out.

Recruiting-wise I’m convinced you hit the front four (no matter your scheme) and CB like crazy with numbers then fill in from there. We’ve got some safeties that are converted corners and coverage is more difficult than playing the run. It all starts upfront, and you can never have too many good players. Harass the passer and don’t let the Oline release to the 2nd level in the run game. If you do that, you’ve given yourself a great chance to succeed.

Jamison versus Bama with the near pick and unfortunate injury.

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why did Taaffe play so much? I assume it was because Thompson was dealing with injury. Defense different without Watts. Need to get him back and figure out a pass rush. 

Crosspost...

From an "On Texas Football" video.  Ryan Watts was the 2nd leading tackler against Cyclones, and he left the game in the 2nd quarter 

IMG_20221016_095952_kindlephoto-7612667.thumb.jpg.83edeae8267eecb10fe9c76f035fe6e7.jpg

Also Jamier Johnson was hurt and not available for this game vs the Cyclones...

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?