DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

My wife got a new student from Guatemala yesterday that speaks zero English. Her class is all bilingual with the exception of the new kid and the kids immediately responded by speaking Spanish amongst themselves all day to make him feel comfortable without my wife having to do anything at all. If only adults could be that generous and supportive.

Oh, and by the end of 1:00PM recess he had already come to love American Football, Murica!
¿But can he play?

UT, Class of 20__ ?

Why did the 150 dems vote against the deport after DUI/DWI? I thought there was a runner that said “oh, also Trump is king of the world” but there wasn’t. It was a very bad look that Musk was jumping all over.

18 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

lol. You clearly are either totally unaware about how shit works or an idiot or troll.

But the question still remains why did 150 dems vote against this?

Because I don’t care what the MAGAs or their mouthpieces say or think? Ok then. Not sure what your point is there.

Also, who cares? Probably because they didn’t think dui should affect immigration status. I have no idea. The bill passed with bipartisan support so again I ask, who cares?

On 2/1/2024 at 9:05 AM, tx 3 putt said:

There’s no crisis …

I've never heard this guy talk but he has a very northern accent. He of all people railing against Biden on immigration while representing Fort Bend of all places is something.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:28 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Of course Dan Patrick is spewing a bunch of nonsense; making bogus constitutional claims and making blanket statements that immigrants bring health issues and "most" of them are here to commit crimes, when immigrants are on average healthier and commit fewer crimes than native born Americans.

In my car the other day and listened to a little Micheal berry, he was all in on the replacement theory <<< this is what theyre pushing

biden wants to replace red blooded americans with illegals 

Edited by tx 3 putt

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I've never heard this guy talk but he has a very northern accent. He of all people railing against Biden on immigration while representing Fort Bend of all places is something.

He’s from Wisconsin. Just another non native Texan who carpetbagged and put on a cowboy hat as an adult (didn’t move to Houston until he did his masters at UH-D)

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

What does "close the border" actually mean? Does that include lawful entry for visa holders and US citizens?

People have apparently forgotten what happened when Abbott actually DID close the border and it cost us BILLIONS in trade and completely fucked the trucking lines.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

A real interesting issue was talked about on 60 Minutes last night.  It was a really good episode, by the way--come for the Jerome Powell interview; stay for the border story.

Anyway--in the first half of 2023 (the most recent period for which we have statistics), a majority of migrants crossing the Southern border came from "historical atypical countries."  Basically, that is everyone who is not from Latin America.  And as detailed in the 60 Minutes piece, a growing percentage of those are from China.  They're middle-class economic migrants who hop a flight to Mexico and walk across the border with their roll-aboard luggage in tow.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

A real interesting issue was talked about on 60 Minutes last night.  It was a really good episode, by the way--come for the Jerome Powell interview; stay for the border story.

Anyway--in the first half of 2023 (the most recent period for which we have statistics), a majority of migrants crossing the Southern border came from "historical atypical countries."  Basically, that is everyone who is not from Latin America.  And as detailed in the 60 Minutes piece, a growing percentage of those are from China.  They're middle-class economic migrants who hop a flight to Mexico and walk across the border with their roll-aboard luggage in tow.

im here for the chinese mexican fusion food trucks 

el wok a mole 

It’s an easier path to citizenship illegally then legally 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Was the Chinese angle presented as a positive or a negative? Just curious what angle they’re trying to push. 

1 minute ago, Boss Hogg said:

Was the Chinese angle presented as a positive or a negative? Just curious what angle they’re trying to push. 

Why the hell would it be positive that Chinese (or anyone) is trying to illegally cross into the country?

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Why the hell would it be positive that Chinese (or anyone) is trying to illegally cross into the country?

I don’t know, but 60 minutes could try to spin things any number of ways. 

I’ll just say I know they’ve clearly staged one medical scene before. It was eye opening and I try not to fall prey to Gell-Mann amnesia wrt their reporting. 

20 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

It was mostly portrayed as a novelty that China is the fastest-growing population of migrants (most Americans still have the stereotype), along with many other far-flung Asian nations, and how easily they're getting through a specific hole in the fence that hasn't been patched because Congress hasn't allocated funds for it.

There were interviews with Chinese migrants citing China's bad economy and Xi's more authoritarian approach to governing as reasons for a huge increase in Chinese asylum seekers over the last couple of years. It was noted that many of them were middle-class with roller bags who got specific instructions from Tik Tok accounts on how to get through the gap in the fence.

Negatives mentioned:

• The guy who was fed up with people using his property to cross with mentions of tents, trash, and burning wood. He also recounted a story about how he shot a gun in the air and was arrested for it after telling people not to burn brush/trees on his property.
  • The app that's supposed to be used to make appointments for asylum seekers at designated border crossings is glitchy, creating a disorderly process so they pay a guy $400 to drive them 60 miles from the crossing at Tijuana to find this spot.

Other items that could be interpreted negatively include the fact that 55% of Chinese are granted asylum while only 14% of all seekers get it. Also, China often doesn't take their people back once they pursue it and are left in limbo.

My final comment is that it's telling that you have an expectation of positive/negative presentations in news broadcasts. Maybe start looking for better sources of information to consume that don't take editorial stances.

• Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

I don't know, man--the video is posted directly above your query.  Why don't you just watch it?  I think @bolverk gives a pretty good synopsis.  

From my own perspective, I'll say this: I'm pretty sympathetic to people seeking refuge from places like Honduras and Guatemala.  Those are failed narco-states, and they're failed narco-states in large part because of American (in)action and demand for drugs.  For a lot of people, staying here is a literal death sentence.

I'm a lot less sympathetic to middle-class Chinese people who are coming here because the Chinese economy is in the shitter.  The United States played a minimal role in China's poor economic decision-making; we bear no responsibility for their real-estate bubble popping.  And even in that situation, being middle class in China just isn't that fucking bad.  

So if the Biden Administration has to put in place some restrictive policies to bolster its reelection chances, I'm a lot more agreeable to that happening at the expense of middle-class Chinese people than on the backs of desperate Central Americans.  I mean, bottom line: if it takes putting some Chinese people in a detention center in Mexico for a few months to wait on a CBP appointment in order to save American democracy, then I'm on board with that.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Uhhh more Asian girls for lonely white guys. Solves the school shooting problems, incels, and white supremacy problems.

I’d marry a too old to marry, no baby, old maid, and washed up hot 30yo chinese female (born a female) with an advanced degree … asap 

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I watched it. Here it is:

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Screenshot_20240205_215859_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240205_215907_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240205_215916_X.jpg

I made the mistake of reading some twitter replies on that thread, and wow. The gomers are 100000% convinced it's an open border bill. Absolutely incredible how far out the right wing of the political spectrum is camped out

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1