Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

"Involved" LA buddy tells me he will be shocked if Tapp doesnt end up at LSU, but that Texas is announcing itself in the SEC. He reached out to me bc he knew I would be happy to hear we are officially on the scene. He thinks Bryant will stick and is underrated. He says he has no clue on Preston. Agrees we are the team to beat for Arch. He says we are going to be able to launch a massive SEC recruiting campaign if we get him in the fold and recruiting for us. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Real fishy. If you remember originally Clemson was the leader, so hes gone from Clemson to Texas to Oregon to now aggy

It's not fishy, it's a pattern.

57 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Pay the 30k then if you are the richest athletic dept. 

I'm sorry, even if you're a program that cheats, are you under the impression that the money to do so comes from the Athletic Department of the school? Username is spot on. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If you have followed at least one cycle when Jimbo has been at a&m it is clear that when a WR starts trending that way without an injury or bad season then they have a handler. This isnt't rocket science just takes a lick of common sense. 

quick reminder:

tl;dr:

In general if you are a blue chip WR and go play under Jimbo Fisher, you are going to under perform compared to your contemporaries. You will play less snaps, catch fewer balls for fewer yards and fewer TDs.

anyone acting like they are going to go and play as a true freshman in a Jimbo Fisher offense is fooling themselves.

18 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

"Involved" LA buddy tells me he will be shocked if Tapp doesnt end up at LSU, but that Texas is announcing itself in the SEC. He reached out to me bc he knew I would be happy to hear we are officially on the scene. He thinks Bryant will stick and is underrated. He says he has no clue on Preston. Agrees we are the team to beat for Arch. He says we are going to be able to launch a massive SEC recruiting campaign if we get him in the fold and recruiting for us. 

There is a decent chance Tapp does end up at LSU but would much rather have him committed right now than be uncommitted and still chasing after him. Bo Davis has shown he isn't afraid to play the SEC recruiting game.

16 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yeah, not to go all satya or bruh man, but it'll be a surprise if Tapp ends up here.  What we need to hope for is for them to lose to UCLA Saturday, win a few, lose to Bama', Florida, and one of the Miss. schools, and close out the year beating aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

By "announcing itself in the SEC", do you mean they're telling recruits we're moving soon, or just that we're targeting SEC territory recruits and having some success? 

I'm somewhat skeptical on Tapp sticking with us tbh but we'll see. Arch would be huge for recruiting, no doubt about it.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah, not to go all satya or bruh man, but it'll be a surprise if Tapp ends up here.  What we need to hope for is for them to lose to UCLA Saturday, win a few, lose to Bama', Florida, and one of the Miss. schools, and close out the year beating aggy.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

By "announcing itself in the SEC", do you mean they're telling recruits we're moving soon, or just that we're targeting SEC territory recruits and having some success? 

I'm somewhat skeptical on Tapp sticking with us tbh but we'll see. Arch would be huge for recruiting, no doubt about it.

Pussies

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's got a handler

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The "Thompson wants to stay close to home" narratives are funny. He was headed to Oregon before they ran out of WR spots. Surprise surprise that A&M is now in the picture. 

Favoring Oregon and now A&M entering the picture should tell you all you need to know about what it will take to land Thompson. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can't recall if it was CTJ or someone else said he has a handler and there is a $30k fee for his commitment.  

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Real fishy. If you remember originally Clemson was the leader, so hes gone from Clemson to Texas to Oregon to now aggy

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If you have followed at least one cycle when Jimbo has been at a&m it is clear that when a WR starts trending that way without an injury or bad season then they have a handler. This isnt't rocket science just takes a lick of common sense. 

At some point we’re going to have to stop pissing ourselves every time the possibility of a handler pops up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

At some point we’re going to have to stop pissing ourselves every time the possibility of a handler pops up.

Please see below….

Just now, texifornia said:

At some point UT needs to start winning recruitments where there's a middleman.

And if we don’t we’re going to be in for a bad time in the SEC. 

53 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Not happy with the fact that Ewers jumped to college early then signed a deal and announced it? Or something else? 

I was talking to a guy about that yesterday.  I don't think they were happy with him coming early.  

Don't think OSU cared about the deal that much,  but they are in pretty much of a lose lose situation with the roster.  No way they could have started the year with Ewers,  and unless Stroud is really bad he won't start anytime this year without causing some team disruption.  

Edited by Laga4

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Please see below….

And if we don’t we’re going to be in for a bad time in the SEC. 

Yeah, with NIL and a move to the SEC coming up, if we’re still worried about handlers in a few years, this whole thing will be an abject failure and we’re all wasting our time. Especially if that handler is only asking for 30k. That’s not even that bad.

Edited by Lonestar88

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah that’s the point. With NIL and a move to the SEC coming up, if we’re still worried  about handlers in a few years, this whole thing will be an abject failure and we’re all wasting our time. Especially if that handler is only asking for 30k. That’s not even that bad.

I personally don’t think handlers will go away. I think they will be there for certain recruits. So we either need to go all in on the SEC move or risk falling further behind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, with NIL and a move to the SEC coming up, if we’re still worried about handlers in a few years, this whole thing will be an abject failure and we’re all wasting our time. Especially if that handler is only asking for 30k. That’s not even that bad.

But but I thought NIL was gunna kill all of this need for handlers and bags etc...

mmhmm

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I personally don’t think handlers will go away. I think they will be there for certain recruits. So we either need to go all in on the SEC move or risk falling further behind. 

We are agreeing, but I don’t think you realize it. May be bad communication on my  part.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

But but I thought NIL was gunna kill all of this need for handlers and bags etc...

mmhmm

Bag money is still the easiest money.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It means we have joined the same fight that they have been waging against each other in the SEC for all this time. The NIL is great and I hope we get our act together (major credit to this website) but the old way of doing things isnt disappearing any time soon. Texas has to cover all the bases and this guy tells me our future competitors are aware that we intend to compete on all fronts. 

50 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I was talking to a guy about that yesterday.  I don't think they were happy with him coming early.  

Don't think OSU cared about the deal that much,  but they are in pretty much of a lose lose situation with the roster.  No way they could have started the year with Ewers,  and unless Stroud is really bad he won't start anytime this year without causing some team disruption.  

Yeah sounds like a huge problem. Too many 5* QBs and one might get mad. Hope poor tOSU can figure it out.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Bag Money is also the "doing time for money laundering" money.

Yep assuming they will have to strictly report NIL and do tax returns (for the 1st time, you'd think), bag money becomes less appealing.

Not doing taxes / not reporting income is different than doing taxes and lying about income. 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe a few.   Most will continue to be off the books crooks.   The Bishop Sycamore guy could have started a real school or gotten a real job, too.  But some people are just wired to be grifters even if they have other options.  And I’d wager the “recruiting street agent / handler” game has many more of those people than it does guys who will register to go legit, even if it’s not hard to do.

But the incentive for players to cut them in will be diminished.  They need handlers to cut the bag deals.  The don't need handlers to cut the NIL deals.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They find their way in with people who let them because they either feel overwhelmed or they just don’t know better.

Or because they're family.

49 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

But the incentive for players to cut them in will be diminished.  They need handlers to cut the bag deals.  The don't need handlers to cut the NIL deals.

I agree with this except I have a hard time seeing many 16/17 year old kids telling adults to fuck off. Especially family or slick trainers ingratiating themselves with parents that need short term help. Bags will always exist in the right scenario because shady grifters will always exist. It's just not the only game in town anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Boxers didn’t really need Don King or [insert your shady handler here], either.  And recruits didn’t really need their “uncle” to run bag games before NIL.  No con artist is ever really needed.  They find their way in with people who let them because they either feel overwhelmed or they just don’t know better.

While I don't disagree with your last sentence.  I still think it will diminish greatly.   They may still have an uncle but they will have to go get NIL deals instead of bags.  Also your analogy is terrible.  Don King monopolized the high dollar matchups in boxing and it killed the sport.  They needed him to make money. 

2 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

While I don't disagree with your last sentence.  I still think it will diminish greatly.   They may still have an uncle but they will have to go get NIL deals instead of bags.  Also your analogy is terrible.  Don King monopolized the high dollar matchups in boxing and it killed the sport.  They needed him to make money. 

See rickys one hitter last paragraph. I think that combines with the post you quoted is exactly why that will exist

There is a ton of hesitation from above board dealers about this NIL stuff. More than anything, there has always been a big fear that the weight of the UT machine will come down on you if you screw the pooch and tarnish the lily white brand that is Texas. 

Belmont is trying to monitor, but they don’t want Texas to be the guinea pig. While I understand that, I think we could easily get away with being the “Yankees” who stress test every possible advantage the new system could give us. We could easily set the market on this stuff but that’s just not the mentality.

There is no question that the word is going to get back to them that this site took the leap and directly improved the program. Banks will shout it from the rooftops and I think @immamac and @RGBIII chose wisely with the TE’s. As of now, an employed interfacing fundraiser for the program didn’t even know it was happening. I had to send him the link, and shocker, he loves it.

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting