Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT: Recruits React to Texas' 38-18 win over Louisiana

Spoiler

It would be difficult to find many faults in UT’s 38-18 win over the Ragin’ Cajuns on Saturday from DKR-Texas Memorial stadium. From recruits in the stands, to prospects watching on television, the game resonated well with the Texas targets. 

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022:

“It was fricken’ awesome,” said Robertson. “I was so glad to be there. Great to be back in DKR. That was a big win.”

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022: 

“I loved it,” Brown said. “I can’t wait until I’m playing in (DKR).” 

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) – 2023: 

“I was great,” said Owens. “Love how their running backs looked. Good, team win. Love the (running backs) coming out of the backfield, catching the ball, and giving them the ball in open space.” 

DB Ryan Yaites, Guyer (Denton, TX) – 2023: 

“(UT) was a damn good football team,” Yaites said. “Well execution on both sides of the ball. And the defense did a great job.” 

DB Ronald “Champ” Lewis, Easton (New Orleans, LA) (TEXAS) – 2022: 

“It was great,” said Lewis. “The city, the campus, and the hospitality.” 

WR Rohan Fluellen, Gilmer (Gilmer, TX) – 2023: 

“Amazing,” said Fluellen. “The fans and game were amazing. And yes, it was very hot.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT: Recruits React to Texas' 38-18 win over Louisiana
Spoiler

It would be difficult to find many faults in UT’s 38-18 win over the Ragin’ Cajuns on Saturday from DKR-Texas Memorial stadium. From recruits in the stands, to prospects watching on television, the game resonated well with the Texas targets. 
OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022:
“It was fricken’ awesome,” said Robertson. “I was so glad to be there. Great to be back in DKR. That was a big win.”
EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022: 
“I loved it,” Brown said. “I can’t wait until I’m playing in (DKR).” 
RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) – 2023: 
“I was great,” said Owens. “Love how their running backs looked. Good, team win. Love the (running backs) coming out of the backfield, catching the ball, and giving them the ball in open space.” 
DB Ryan Yaites, Guyer (Denton, TX) – 2023: 
“(UT) was a damn good football team,” Yaites said. “Well execution on both sides of the ball. And the defense did a great job.” 
DB Ronald “Champ” Lewis, Easton (New Orleans, LA) (TEXAS) – 2022: 
“It was great,” said Lewis. “The city, the campus, and the hospitality.” 
WR Rohan Fluellen, Gilmer (Gilmer, TX) – 2023: 
“Amazing,” said Fluellen. “The fans and game were amazing. And yes, it was very hot.” 

Only 7 hours after it was first posted.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Sark’s rough draft proof of concept

If you’re Arch Manning, you like what you saw from the passing game and Hudson Card in his first career start. Arch doesn’t have to squint very hard to imagine himself in the same setting. 

Gotdamn it.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

The Stampede: Recruiting buzz following the first game weekend of the season

The season is underway, and the Longhorns are officially 1-0 after a win over Louisiana-Lafayette at home. With that win came a lot of good energy and good feedback from recruits who were able to see the unveiling of the new facilities at DKR.

The Horns247 staff was also out on the road to see several Texas targets in action and gather information on where things stand between those prospects and Texas. Steve Sarkisian and his staff have a Top 10 class and some recent momentum on the recruiting trail. They will look to continue success on the field and parlay that into wins on the recruiting trail.

So what did we hear about the gameday experience, which visitors showed up and what intel did we pick up from the road?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, the Horns247 recruiting staff drops a boatload of notes from the recruiting trail.

Longhorns still the favorite for Rueben Owens

On Friday night, I made the trip down to Wharton County to check out El Campo five-star running back Rueben Owens II in a game for the first time.

Despite playing a Fulshear team that currently has 6A enrollment numbers (compared to El Campo’s 4A status), Owens still flashed at times. He was typically dragging along defenders as soon as he touched the ball but was almost always making the first man miss.

It wasn’t a productive night by any means, but there were positives to draw from his performance. I look forward to getting back out for a game in the future that El Campo’s offensive line can handle a little bit better.

10578502.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,of(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

On the recruiting side, things haven’t looked better for Texas since he de-committed than they do right now.

His relationship with Brandon Harris, Steve Sarkisian and Stan Drayton is stronger than it’s ever been, and the offensive performance on Saturday caught his eye in a big way. In fact, Owens was on FaceTime with the staff while they were still in the locker room after the win against UL-Lafayette.

Depending on who you talk to, the timeline for this recruitment is all over the place, but I feel confident enough in the moment to change my Crystal Ball confidence score up to a 7 from a 1. He was clear about Texas still being his leader following his de-commitment, and now that we have a little hindsight, I think that’s certainly a fact. Since then, the lead has only grown.

When it comes to other schools that are contending, I see Georgia as the number-two. There is a good relationship there with Kirby Smart, and it definitely helps when the Bulldogs can pitch their success at the running back position over the course of the last two decades. Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU and USC are other schools that I’m continuing to monitor.

Prior to Friday, I stayed in DFW to check out Rockwall-Heath and Southlake Carroll in a 6A top-ten clash.

10305005.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

Carroll 2023 quarterback Kaden Anderson impressed me in the second half, and I look forward to seeing his improvements throughout the season.

Rockwall-Heath 2022 wide receiver Jordan Nabors had his second consecutive big game in an offense that does nothing but produce big performances. The Baylor commit is someone I expect to see some more recruiting attention come his way this fall, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas get serious down the line as they have already initiated preliminary contact.

(Nick Harris)

Recruiting buzz following Texas win

I’ll start this off by echoing Nick’s intel that I’ve also heard some really strong intel as it pertains to Owens. As we reported shortly after he decommitted, if Texas continued to pursue they would likely be rewarded, and they haven’t taken their foot off the gas since that time.

As soon as the game was over, Sarkisian was on FaceTime with Owens who was excited with the way Texas ran the ball. Owens was far from the only prospect who felt that way.

The Texas staff didn’t waste any time getting on the phone with their primary targets to capitalize on the news of the day. Let’s start with some of the big names who were on hand during the game.

10420093.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Texas largely hosted a group of commits and unoffered targets.  The Longhorns were able to get a few uncommitted targets on campus for the game to take in the beginning of the Sark era.

Four-star Port Arthur Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau made the trip back to campus, and he scored the visit with high marks.  I recently mentioned that there’s growing confidence Texas will add Guilbeau back to the class sometime this fall, and I think that confidence remains based on what I’ve heard.  TCU remains the biggest competition, and Guilbeau does like the Frogs quite a bit. 

One thing working against TCU is the eventual move for Texas to the SEC leaving TCU’s future up in the air. One source I spoke with felt a decision could come sometime in October after Texas and TCU face off in Fort Worth.

Five-star 2023 Tyler Legacy DL Jordan Renaud made the trip from east Texas with his teammate and Longhorn commit Jamarion Miller. Renaud camped at Texas over the summer, but he’s never seemed overly excited about Texas when I spoke with him in the past. I was told that the visit was a big hit with Renaud who gave the Longhorns some great feedback after the trip. As the Longhorns look to build a strong DL in preparation for their transition to the SEC, Renaud would be a huge piece of that puzzle.

9853589.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 TJ Shanahan (Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

Austin Westlake OL TJ Shanahan also made the trip in with Westlake stars Jaden Greathouse and Connor Robertson. Proximity should play a big role for Shanahan. The four-star offensive lineman will likely visit a lot of schools this year, but on weekends when he isn’t out of town it will be easy to get over to campus from Westlake Hills. Texas was already in a pretty good position before Shanahan made the move to Austin, and now they can get him on campus regularly.

Aside from those big visitors on campus, it seemed that many of their top targets were watching and reached out. I spoke to sources who said that the staff had long conversations with prospects like Johntay Cook, Jaquaize Pettaway, Javien Toviano and Devon Campbell.

I also was told they had some conversations with some committed prospects up front like Cameron Williams and Kelvin Banks. I’ve said often that Texas feels they could potentially pull off some flips if they are able to play well and get guys back on campus this year, so it’s understandable they’d engage with those committed prospects as soon as possible.

I’m told that Texas also had a long conversation with Evan Stewart over the weekend where they illustrated both how they succeeded with passing plays he excelled in and how he could be used immediately. I believe they will also begin to use Hudson Card as a bigger pitch for the five-star wide receiver as well. While there’s been a lot of talk about which committed quarterbacks Stewart would most like to play with, the reality is that he likely will play early with a guy who is already at the college level.

Nick mentioned above that Jordan Nabors is a guy to watch as a backup option for Texas at wide receiver, and I’d also add Chase Sowell to the list. Sowell’s recruitment picked up over the weekend after he put up 6 catches for 174 yards and 3 touchdowns Friday. Sowell is also a star baseball player who is getting looks at the college level. He made the trip to Austin for the game and spoke with some members of the staff. The Longhorns will evaluate him throughout the season, and he could be in line for an offer if Texas needs a contingency plan.

New Facilities and gameday experience

I spoke to several players and parents who attended the game over the weekend to get some feedback on the new athletic facility. Everyone raved about the new Moncrief-Neuhaus facility which was to be expected, but one thing stood out to me.

Several of the people I spoke with were prospects without offers that the staff is merely evaluating or not recruiting that hard. Just about every one of them told me that despite not holding an offer, the Texas recruiting staff made them feel special and as if they were top priorities. That may seem like a small thing, but it says a lot about the attention to detail and gameday presentation this staff can put on. Overall, this was a good weekend for Texas.

(Mike Roach)

247 Recruiting Stampede

Turning up the heat on Evan Stewart and other bits about WR backup plans.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

If you’re Arch Manning, you like what you saw from the passing game and Hudson Card in his first career start. Arch doesn’t have to squint very hard to imagine himself in the same setting. 

Gotdamn it.

That makes about as much sense as a screen door on a battleship.

I mean, he’s gotta be trolling Surly at this point…right??

• Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

So he could make it but not kam? 

Also I'm not sure he's a take from this staff but I hope he sees what Franklin did for UTSA would love for him to play for coach Traylor. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=631461

Chase Sowell is an excellent baseball player - plays the amateur elite level in Summer circuit.    Not sure how he is being recruited for baseball,  MLB draft projections behind paywall, doubt if he is high at this point.    Add some weight,  reminiscent of Ken Griffey. Jr. from the right side.   

(Eric Nahlin) Scoop: Post-Louisiana; injury sort of update; on Alfred Collins; 5-star hoops visitor

TEAM

The win over No. 23 Louisiana on Saturday resonated throughout the building on Sunday. There's increased trust going both ways from the players to the staff and staff towards the players. They feel like they did what they needed to do against a solid Ragin' Cajuns squad. The staff was happy to see the team is as deep as the coaches thought throughout August. When asked about lack of pass rush from the defensive line a source responded, ”the goal for the day was to keep him in the pocket first and foremost and let the DB’s cover their guys.”

Expect that to be the goal against Arkansas as well. Sunday was a “voluntary” active recovery day with treatment, stretching, and light running. Today the team will lift, have meetings, and then a short practice. Tuesday and Wednesday are the more intense days of practice.

DL Alfred Collins: There’s been some curiosity over why the talented sophomore hardly played even as the coaches went deep into the depth chart. All we can gather is it was ‘coaches decision’ and Collins isn’t in the dog house. We aren’t hearing of any acrimony between the two parties and we expect him to play much more on Saturday. It’s very likely he was told by the coaches he should have played more and they’ll rework their rotations going forward.

The situation isn’t entirely surprising given recent information. Even when he moved to Jack, we heard Jett Bush was still ahead of him and we even had Bush ahead of him on the depth chart. That isn’t to say it isn’t overall surprising the most genuinely talented defensive lineman on the roster isn’t playing more regardless of the position. It’ll work out. Nothing to worry about at this time. Alfred isn’t an emotional, knee-jerk sort of young man.

Injuries: We’re still waiting on details regarding right guard Junior Angilau. He was on crutches on Sunday. We don’t want to speculate but early returns are somewhat optimistic. Left tackle Christian Jones was in a boot, which may not mean all that much. Texas trainers put people in boots almost as much as Texas parking enforcement. Tight end Jared Wiley is on the mend. It was feared he might have a torn pectoral muscle but it’s just strained. This is in addition to his shoulder ailment. The staff may have to force him to sit out to get ready for conference play. We’ll see how that plays out.

RECRUITING

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: The 5-foot-10, 205-pound On3 four-star tailback enjoyed his stay in Austin over the weekend. His family stayed overnight on Saturday and hung with recruits and parents on Sunday. Miller hung out with fellow pledge Armani Winfield and others, and once again his family left UT knowing they made the right decision. Interesting enough, it appears Miller will attempt to enroll early in January. Miller is an outstanding student, and his credits would allow him to graduate early.

Alabama, Texas A&M, and Florida are still trying to hang around the rim, but Texas will keep them boxed out if it continues to play like it did Saturday.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022: The 6-foot-2, 180-pound pass-catcher made it back to Austin for the UT-UL tilt over the weekend. After watching the offense on Saturday, Winfield thinks he can come in and play early in 2022. That's the confidence of a receiver with 39 offers including Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Michigan. Winfield took officials to Michigan State on June 4th and LSU on June 25th, but has his Horns locked in today. Winfield will also be making his 2021 debut on Friday, as he returns from a concussion, he tells IT.

What stood out about Saturday? The crowd, the new south endzone, and Hudson Card, who was "slinging that pill," versus No. 23 Louisiana. Winfield loves how Steve Sarkisian spreads the ball around and puts players in positions to make plays. And after hanging out with Jamarion Miller on Sunday, two of Texas' top offensive threats for the 2022 class were pleased with what they saw.

TE Jaleel Skinner, IMG Academy via Greer (Greer, SC) - 2022: October 9th looms large for the 6-foot-5, 210-pound five-star tight end. That's his decision date, and after a summer of visits, he's getting closer to naming his choice. Skinner took an official visit to Florida State over the weekend, as the Seminoles continue to build momentum in this pursuit. The No. 17 ranked prospect in the 2022 cycle made official visits to Florida (6/9), Alabama (6/18), Texas (6/21), and Miami (6/25), after an unofficial to Tallahassee on June 1st.

The multi-talented five-star who played snaps at wide receiver, tight end, and cornerback holds 24 offers including Clemson, OU, Michigan, and LSU. The Horns and Jeff Banks have put themselves in a positive position with Skinner. He's fond of the Texas tight end coach and head man, Steve Sarkisian, as he gives the Horns an honest shot at his services. It's not likely he'll return to Austin before October 9th, but that won't stop the Texas staff from pursuing.

Florida State has a very strong connection on staff to Skinner, while Miami has been working a non-coaching staff aspect of the recruitment.

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Ascension Catholic (Baton Rouge, LA) (TEXAS) - 2022: The On300 No. 152-rated J’Mond Tapp only watched highlights of the Texas-Louisiana game, but was very impressed. “It was lit," said Tapp. "Crazy. The defense made some good plays. The fumble the cornerback caused late in the game was a great play. And No. 18 he had a clean sack. I liked that." Tapp’s commitment to Texas hasn’t slowed down his recruitment. Quite the opposite.

”It’s been the same schools that were recruiting me, and more," Tapp says. "Oregon, LSU, Florida, and Alabama have called.” At least for now, Tapp is a Horn commit and didn’t hesitate when asked what other prospects he has sights set on. “We are trying to get Evan Stewart and Shazz Preston.” Tapp said he has spoken to Alabama about a possible December 12th visit. Texas was wise to grab the commitment while it could but the staff will have to work this recruitment through the whistle. Knowing that, the continued pursuit of Justice Finkley makes even more sense. IT has often commented on how high the staff is on Finkley.

EDGE Justice Finkley, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville - 2022: The On300 No. 190 ranked prospect is a prospect Inside Texas is monitoring for potential decision in the next couple of weeks. There is some confidence on the Texas side of the recruitment. The play of Ovie Oghoufo will be used in this recruitment in the final stages. IT continues to hear Alabama would accept a verbal from Finkley. Colorado is the third school under serious consideration.

CB/S Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial - 2022: The On300 prospect and former Texas verbal is a possibility to end up a Texas commit again. Texas would happily accept a commitment from Guilbeau, as of today. When Guilbeau decommitted, he was headed to TCU until the news broke Texas and Oklahoma were planning to head to the SEC. That left questions regarding TCU’s future. With Texas headed to the SEC and Texas A&M being very tight on defensive back numbers, the Longhorns were right back into the race provided the staff pushed. This recruitment is not expected to go in November. There will be unofficial visits to TCU (likely Texas game weekend), Texas A&M (Alabama game weekend) and possibly Texas again for the Texas Tech game.

***A very important note: Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was calling and FaceTiming with many recruits following the big win Saturday. One of the first calls was to the circle of a big time prospect committed to another school. This will be revisited in two or three weeks.

Hoops:

Five-star guard Cason Wallace (Richardson High) made his official visit to Texas over the weekend. Both mother and father made the trip with Wallace, which was huge for Texas. From all the intel IT has gathered, the visit is considered to be very successful. That includes successful in the eyes of the entire family. The 6-foot-3 combo guard knows he will be developed on both ends of the floor at Texas. Wallace is a prospect that asks sound, mature questions on visits. This opens up the staff to offer detailed explanations and examples of previous success.

There is a feeling that if Wallace was to eventually end up picking Texas, it would be very similar to T.J. Ford and his family’s decision to pick Texas. A true 40 year decision. Ford knew he would live in Texas long term and the opportunities the University of Texas family could present for Ford long term were huge. Being the face of the basketball program goes along way, even after your playing days are over.

Wallace will continue on with the official visit process. He goes back to Tennessee September 17th, and will also likely make an OV to UTSA. Texas‘ next official visitor will be On3 Top 25 overall Jordan Walsh (Southern California Academy via Dallas) September 17. The 6-foot-7 athletic wing will visit Kansas the week after Texas. The Jayhawks are currently considered the biggest threat. Arkansas and TCU received June OV’s, and Walsh will be at Arizona State this weekend.

Texas also remains in the mix for Yohan Traore (Dream City Christian via France). The Longhorns are waiting to see if Traore elects to go the pro route before making the next move in this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Need Ohio State to mudhole Oregon this coming Saturday.

Could easily happen. Oregon struggled with Fresno State. Maybe overlooking them, but with Thibodeaux likely out for Ohio State, the Buckeyes offense should have little problem moving the ball up and down the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

With a good season (10 wins), how do you all see the remaining class to shape up? We have decent to good shots at a number of uncommitted 5 stars from what I have been reading here. Which two 5 stars would you say we have the best shot at landing?

Davon Campbell and Evan Stewart

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

***A very important note: Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was calling and FaceTiming with many recruits following the big win Saturday. One of the first calls was to the circle of a big time prospect committed to another school. This will be revisited in two or three weeks.

This is the Houston/golden triangle group. 

I feel like the Arky game is the single biggest game of the year for 2022 recruiting. With a new coach, these early season games are huge for perception and only have so much time before recruits commit somewhere. Plus with our future move, the SEC card will be played to recruits in either direction depending on outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

He and Gerry need to schedule a daily tag up.  

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I hope that facetime call of a big time prospect commited elsewhere was Banks...

IT: Collins and this staff isn't going to work out.

Also IT: Collins? Nothing to see here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting