Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can't speak for their efforts, but assume they're smart enough to structure it so that the payments are made monthly throughout the course of a season. 

Hell- you don't even have to do that.  It could be in the form of a retention bonus at the end of the year/beginning of the next season if you wanted it to be.  
Something like collect $100,000 on first day of fall practice as a sophomore, junior, senior and when you walk across the stage at graduation or at the NFL draft. 
None of my employees get paid until after the work is done- no reason you can't do the same with the football players.. 

It's not like they need a monthly check for wages. They don't get it now, they have scholarship to take care of all their life needs right now.  I'm not arguing or saying that it should or will go down this way- but it's a viable option. 

7 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Sending transfers to collections when they’ve undoubtedly spent the money will be interesting 

Obvi wouldn't work like that. They'd receive the money. Theirs forever. Yearly deal. If you're not on the team, you're not renewed. Pretty simple.

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I would Imagine USC, aggy, tOSU, Michigan, and Georgia will get into the mix on this. But we are about to torpedo those SEC schools like Bama, LSU, BlowU, Arky, etc. 

I already estimated 10M for football.  85 scholarships at an average of 100K or so.  some get more some get less.  I can see this growing to about 30M pretty quick.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

baseball players are gonna love this.  they've been getting hosed for a while now on scholarships.

you know Plonsky is just hyperventilating.

So are plenty of professors on campus that like to stir shit up.  

There's an interesting racial vs gender divide in play here if certain segments want to get wound up about it.  Football is mostly black, obviously, while the olympic type sports on the womens side are pretty damn white.  So, do you end up with different identity groups fighting it out over how big the slice of the pie they get is? Or does sanity prevail and everyone happy they are getting something?  I hope that doesn't get a lot of mind space for people doing this.  It shouldn't, but, as my coach says, some people would put up an umbrella and bitch at you if you were throwing gold coins at them.  The proper response is fuck that shit, ignore the small minded moron doing that bitching but that doesn't strike me as how that cunt Plonsky views the world.   

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Only issue I could see is that this may be an obstacle in churning out dead weight on the roster. Some dude may say "why would I transfer to Texas State when I can ride the pine and take in six figures"...

I would imagine/hope that the money for dead weight is paid less than our special teamers, so they wouldn't be just sitting back collecting six figures.

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Only issue I could see is that this may be an obstacle in churning out dead weight on the roster. Some dude may say "why would I transfer to Texas State when I can ride the pine and take in six figures"...

I mean, scholarships aren't guaranteed for 4 years if that becomes too much of an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Prob a stipulation of you’re lazy wasted shit riding the pine here’s a gift card to whataburger 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's where Sark gets to come in and say. You are the weakest link, your NIL will drop to $10 next season and you will never see the field. 

there will be a limit to dead weight because if they can't play they will want to transfer.  yes some dead weight will say not transferring because they know they have no hope at next level money.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Gotta expect even more aggressive processing of guys. At six figs, more than ever they are employees now. And they can be fired…

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Maybe use a small base and the rest is based off of playing time (taking injuries and redshirting into account).

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There's an interesting racial vs gender divide in play here if certain segments want to get wound up about it.  Football is mostly black, obviously, while the olympic type sports on the womens side are pretty damn white.  So, do you end up with different identity groups fighting it out over who big the slice of the pie they get is? Or does sanity prevail and everyone happy they are getting something?  I hope that doesn't get a lot of mind space for people doing this.  It shouldn't put as my coach says some people would put up an umbrella and bitch at you if you were throwing gold coins at them.  The proper response is fuck that shit, ignore the small minded moron doing that bitching but that doesn't strike me as how that cunt Plonsky views the world.   

This would certainly happen in Austin. Some student body president is going to see some data and want to make their nMe

known. Damn you Wulaw

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This would certainly happen in Austin. Some student body president is going to see some data and want to make their nMe

known. Damn you Wulaw

Look- this thing is incredible and we should all be ridiculously happy.  Just because some small minded ankle biters will bitch a little bit about shit like this doesn't mean we should do any more than roll our eyes at them. I'm sure- if they are fundraising- and you want to point your donation to a particular sport that wish would be honored. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not only do we get rid of the slap dick that is terry joseph, we’re shipping him off to a regional recruiting rival, and soon to be conference rival, in LSU so he can be dead weight there. Sensational. I really hope this move goes through.

NO one is a liability in LA. Ask Tommie Robinson. 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Nope. You process and don't renew scholarships. Nothing changes. Offensive lineman have been loathe to transfer for years now becasue they were happy to be here under Mack. all that matters is how aggressive your HC is...

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is fucking amazing.  Aside from the obvious benefits to Texas football - all I can think about are the kids who come from less than nothing who now have the opportunity to help siblings/parents.  Incredible.

This is an amazing point. 100K+ goes a long way in a place like Carthage. A kid could support himself and send a few grand a month back home easily. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

People like to rag on Bobby Burton for whatever reason, but I don't know of a single person who is a bigger fan of UT sports than he is. It's why he does what he does for a living.

I would think if someone was as big a fan of UT sports as you claim he is, that person would not employ Chip Brown.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There's an interesting racial vs gender divide in play here if certain segments want to get wound up about it.  Football is mostly black, obviously, while the olympic type sports on the womens side are pretty damn white.  So, do you end up with different identity groups fighting it out over who big the slice of the pie they get is? Or does sanity prevail and everyone happy they are getting something?  I hope that doesn't get a lot of mind space for people doing this.  It shouldn't put as my coach says some people would put up an umbrella and bitch at you if you were throwing gold coins at them.  The proper response is fuck that shit, ignore the small minded moron doing that bitching but that doesn't strike me as how that cunt Plonsky views the world.   

I'm not so sure.  yes swimming diving, rowing, baseball. the others  like golf and tennis can be mix(but they might not be lower socioeconomically obviously).

It is going to be interesting to see how neutered Plonsky and crew are.  maybe they are happy if Womens Bball, Volleyball, Track get some. 

really gonna be cool if we can keep really good baseball recruits from going to the draft now.  I also wonder if the 3 year rule for baseball goes away.

some kid can bank maybe 100K total over 4 years and that can turn into 600K easily by the time you are 60.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

People like to rag on Bobby Burton for whatever reason, but I don't know of a single person who is a bigger fan of UT sports than he is. It's why he does what he does for a living.

I think most people dislike IT because of Nahlin, not Gerry and Bobby. The guy just comes off as a tremendously unlikeable douche bag. But if he is instrumental in this, I give him props.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

IT

Spoiler

*Al’Vonte Woodard and Ayodele Adeoye entered the portal yesterday. As you know, they’ll be joined by many more. Both of those players had their exit interviews on Monday. Other players that had interviews on Monday are prime candidates to enter the portal as well. We’ll see what they do. As you know it’s a bit delicate and we don’t want to put names out there. Most of these guys won’t be surprises, though.

*IT hears Minnesota transfer OL Curtis Duncan is supposed to visit Texas this weekend. He was talented coming out of high school but apparently rows in the opposite direction of PJ Fleck. He’s a big body and you know Kyle Flood likes them big.

*We don’t believe Texas will make a move for Austin Stogner. The OU TE is a talented receiving threat to be sure, but it sounds like the staff is looking elsewhere.

*As Gerry posted in another thread, there is some talk CB’s coach Terry Joseph will become the safeties coach at LSU. This would reunite him with Brian Kelly while also returning him to the recruiting territory he knows best. In time you’ll learn any recruiting issues he had at Texas weren’t because of him. And the coaching issues were more due to being in a disjointed schematic situation with PK.

*You may have seen a “reach” or two offered lately. While those offers did catch us by surprise, we may see a couple of more O-linemen go to the portal than we initially thought, and Savion Red offers versatility and toughness to a roster in need of it.

*IT feels pretty good about UT’s chances with Kobie McKinzie. He’s a straight line missile at linebacker but the game isn’t played in straight lines. He’s more of an OLB. He’d be a really good replacement for Eoghan Kerry, but also for a portal candidate.

*Malik Agbo is an OL IT feels pretty good about. This is in line with needing beef up front. He’s a pure guard candidate to mine eyes. We can feel good about this o-lineman because the market isn’t as crazy for him as the others.

*We keep getting asked about how Texas will finish the class. We keep saying there’s too much variance to get a good understanding. These recruitments can be won and lost at the last minute.

*The announcement of the Clark Field Collective will indeed help recruiting. Texas, more accurately donors, want the coaches to be able to show recruits this is what our 85th guy on the roster makes, this is what a starter makes, and this is what a star makes. This initiative helps that sell across the board, but its greatest strength will be to increase the baseline talent across the board. That is Grand Plan No 1.

*Grand Plan No 2 will more directly target a specific need. That program is still in the works but the goal is to have it launched in time to help with this class. In any event, it will help with the portal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

NO one is a liability in LA. Ask Tommie Robinson. 

Nope. You process and don't renew scholarships. Nothing changes. Offensive lineman have been loathe to transfer for years now becasue they were happy to be here under Mack. all that matters is how aggressive your HC is...

Also takes care of tampering/roster poaching.  There's two fronts to face--recruiting and retention.  This pretty much keeps hands out of the cookie jar.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's likely to be monthly payouts as a practical means of managing the process, carrying float for further gains, and keeping players from doing idiotic shit.

Remember when you guys are thinking about this stuff that all of this work is being done to set floors (now and evermore) so that recruits and coaches can know what the future, should they come to Texas, looks like. None of this can be used as an enticement, yada yada, but in the future, matter of fact history is not ignorable and will be front and center for recruits and transfers to understand. That's a big point of all of this. 

That considered, remember that this doesn't include any corporate NIL work for players that is very real and will only get bigger for the bigger names, which is why corporate density in Austin and Texas is a bigger deal, and a competitive advantage, than people understand right now. The 3rd string DE will still pretty much just get his expected floor, but the starting QB or point guard probably get far above the floor if they're worth a shit and have a symmetrical face. It also doesn't include crowdfunding efforts from the fanbase, memorabilia set-ups and signings, etc. 

Plonsky and crew are on the cusp of being able to pay female athletes more than any other college program in the country, and more than most semi-pro female sports leagues as well. She's not that stupid. Bickering over "equity" will come a lot later. 

This is the money statement.  The endowment allows for breadth/non-rev sports.  Corporate NIL dollars - real corporations,  not Local Pawn Shop - is what creates massive personal brand monetization for the elite,  and helps create lifetime brand revenue for those individuals,  and with a real, professionally managed org in the middle not uncles,  and pseudo agents taking 50% cuts,  the corporate marketing $$ will jump in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's likely to be monthly payouts as a practical means of managing the process, carrying float for further gains, and keeping players from doing idiotic shit.

Remember when you guys are thinking about this stuff that all of this work is being done to set floors (now and evermore) so that recruits and coaches can know what the future, should they come to Texas, looks like. None of this can be used as an enticement, yada yada, but in the future, matter of fact history is not ignorable and will be front and center for recruits and transfers to understand. That's a big point of all of this. 

That considered, remember that this doesn't include any corporate NIL work for players that is very real and will only get bigger for the bigger names, which is why corporate density in Austin and Texas is a bigger deal, and a competitive advantage, than people understand right now. The 3rd string DE will still pretty much just get his expected floor, but the starting QB or point guard probably get far above the floor if they're worth a shit and have a symmetrical face. It also doesn't include crowdfunding efforts from the fanbase, memorabilia set-ups and signings, etc. 

Plonsky and crew are on the cusp of being able to pay female athletes more than any other college program in the country, and more than most semi-pro female sports leagues as well. She's not that stupid. Bickering over "equity" will come a lot later. 

God damn, I just realized... a lot of these guys are gonna take pay cuts to go pro. And "scholarship limits" just became a thing of the past, because walk-ons can certainly afford to go to school here on $100k/yr...

Edited by Rimbo

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think most people dislike IT because of Nahlin, not Gerry and Bobby. The guy just comes off as a tremendously unlikeable douche bag. But if he is instrumental in this, I give him props.

Closetojumping recently introduced me to Bobby and I found him to be a very good dude who really cares about Texas sports. He’s helping get this stuff done. Give him your support. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting