Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Cross posting ... OU coaching crap.

Quick note on what’s going on behind the scenes

Parker Thune

Spoiler

Parker Thune

Just spoke to a source with inside knowledge, and that source indicated to me that there’s indeed been an effort from within to throw the dogs off the trail. Here’s the skinny.

I asked about the timeline I was given yesterday that referenced the basketball game as a possible juncture for the announcement, and as it would turn out, admin did indeed tell members of OU’s internal media team to prepare for that as well. But that time frame obviously came and passed with nary a rustle.

I’m now told that internal media personnel have been given a short list of names, and they’ve been instructed to prepare graphics and other elements for each of the names on that list. The source I spoke with couldn’t disclose the full list to me, but I can tell you that one of the names on it is Dabo Swinney. To be very clear here, I do NOT expect that Swinney is your next OU head coach, but it seems that even within the building, his name is indeed being thrown around in the chicanery.

For everyone’s sake, I’m going to hold off on sharing the sum of everything I was told over the last few days regarding Brent Venables. Suffice it to say there is a reason why people like Chris Plank and Teddy Lehman, who obviously have roles within the OU athletic department, publicly echoed the sentiment that Venables appeared to be the guy. There’s a reason I said I’d be shocked if the hire wasn’t BV. But I want to see how this all plays out before I expound any further.

In conclusion, there is a growing belief — as Brandon mentioned earlier — that this job could belong to Dan Lanning when all is said and done. I’ll add that the source with whom I spoke agreed with that assessment. If that is the case and BV isn’t the guy, just know here and now that the subterfuge in this ordeal ran insanely deep. But I’ll be able to share more on that whenever the hire is announced.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

it's not out of the realm of possibility. Joel Lanning went from 2500+ career passing yards and 19 TDs as a QB, to 114 tackles and six sacks in his junior year.

Anyway, Hamilton's reporting that the A&M coaches were scheduled to see Banks at Summer Creek but no-showed.

image.png

Where did he say they no-showed and when was that? From people talking to banks, Texas doesn’t come up very often, though the flip to an in-state school is probably a 50/50.

If the Oregon OL coach we’re to leave it would be a near certainty. 

If it's Lanning that really echoes the Stoops hire 20 whatever years ago. SEC defensive coordinator, mid 30s, never been a head coach. Stoops had a bit more experience. 

IDK, it worked back then but it's a risky move to say the least. Like others have said it will probably really hinge on who his OC is.

38 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Parker Thune

Hide contents

Parker Thune

Just spoke to a source with inside knowledge, and that source indicated to me that there’s indeed been an effort from within to throw the dogs off the trail. Here’s the skinny.

I asked about the timeline I was given yesterday that referenced the basketball game as a possible juncture for the announcement, and as it would turn out, admin did indeed tell members of OU’s internal media team to prepare for that as well. But that time frame obviously came and passed with nary a rustle.

I’m now told that internal media personnel have been given a short list of names, and they’ve been instructed to prepare graphics and other elements for each of the names on that list. The source I spoke with couldn’t disclose the full list to me, but I can tell you that one of the names on it is Dabo Swinney. To be very clear here, I do NOT expect that Swinney is your next OU head coach, but it seems that even within the building, his name is indeed being thrown around in the chicanery.

For everyone’s sake, I’m going to hold off on sharing the sum of everything I was told over the last few days regarding Brent Venables. Suffice it to say there is a reason why people like Chris Plank and Teddy Lehman, who obviously have roles within the OU athletic department, publicly echoed the sentiment that Venables appeared to be the guy. There’s a reason I said I’d be shocked if the hire wasn’t BV. But I want to see how this all plays out before I expound any further.

In conclusion, there is a growing belief — as Brandon mentioned earlier — that this job could belong to Dan Lanning when all is said and done. I’ll add that the source with whom I spoke agreed with that assessment. If that is the case and BV isn’t the guy, just know here and now that the subterfuge in this ordeal ran insanely deep. But I’ll be able to share more on that whenever the hire is announced.

Dabo... or Venables... or Lanning... or one of the other names on a "short list".

So what you're telling me is OU 9.95ers don't know shit about fuck either? Got it. 

Cross posting Drumm's Drivel.

DrummBeat: What we are hearing on coaching search Thusday, December 2nd| A "what if" staff| Recruiting notes

Brandon Drumm

Spoiler

DrummBeat: What we are hearing on coaching search Thusday, December 2nd| A "what if" staff| Recruiting notes

Brandon Drumm

Reminder: “What we are hearing” isn’t a report, but more of a rumor mill update with some factual reporting being mixed into it. We want you all aware of the buzz we hear, but know that some of this is our feeling on the situation and nothing more.

With that in mind, here is Thursday, December 2nd version of “What we are hearing” in the latest Sooners football head coach search:

*** We have talked to Georgia DC Dan Lanning for the last few days, and for good reason. We have tried to keep the rumors that we have heard ( from a credible source) to be reasonable, too (unless it's the Dabo Swinney rumor or the Bob Stoops ones that I have been laughing at myself over still ... And yes, I still hear the Swinney stuff from usual credible folks, so welcome to the insanity that is the coaching search world).

With Lanning, we noted that he is a Kansas City guy. Why does that matter, you ask? Well, because he grew up in a region and time where the Big 12 was king and when the Oklahoma Sooners were, as they are still these days, king of the conference. This will be the first time since 2014 that anyone not named OU has won the conference, so Oklahoma is still a big deal in the area that Lanning hails from.

Lanning also has that pedigree that OU/Joe Castiglione notoriously looks for in a coach, and that is a young, fast-rising star that has the pedigree to be the next big thing. The UGA defensive coordinator has been learning the ropes under the likes of Todd Graham, Nick Saban, Mel Tucker, and Kirby Smart. So, you know he has learned a ton over the last decade or so. Will that be enough to sway Joe C to hire the young SEC coordinator? Maybe. But sources connected around him continued to tell OUinsider, "(OU) really is the holy grail job for him. I know you have heard that from others, but they aren't lying. The Kansas City Chiefs are the one team that could sway him away from -- maybe Alabama too. He just has a respect for OU growing up around that region that would make it a destination job that could last for over a decade with him. He could be Bob Stoops. He could be Kirby or Saban or Dabo. He has that type of personality and ability as a coach. He is ready for it. That is the best I can put it to you."

Another source went a bit further to inform OUinsider that he had heard that a connection had been made between Lanning and OU over the last 24-48 hours. OUinsider is working to confirm that, but the source said it was more of a round-a-bout contact until very recently when "I believe the higher-ups finally started to touch base."

Again, this is not something we have confirmed 100%, but in the spirit of 'what we are hearing,' I wanted to give you all a taste of what is being told to me. I can say that the sources I have heard this stuff from are very well-connected in the Lanning stuff, and that is as best as I can get there.

*** A "What if" Staff ***

We have also heard that Joe C would love to keep the staff that stayed behind as much intact as they possibly can. This is all in the name of continuity and the fact those coaches are viewed very highly in their circles.

Offensively, if it is Lanning as the choice at HC, I can see that being the case even more so. One source on that front thinks it would be smart to hire FSU OC/QB coach Kenny Dillingham if Lanning was head coach. They go back to the Memphis days, and when Dillingham was there, the Tigers were the second overall offense in the NCAA.

I am told that Dillingham and the Memphis staff also met with OU offensive staff that summer to learn from one another. So that connection there would make sense as the staffers know one another if they went that route. Could also make the pitch for Lanning even more effective, in my opinion.

Defensively, as we reported yesterday, the idea of Lanning being head coach would also make it to where a guy like A&M DB coach TJ Rushing would be one to watch. He and Lanning are close, and Rushing is originally from Pauls Valley and recruits OKPreps very well, much as Dillingham has in the past.

I also think guys like Drew Hill (director of player personnel), Jamar Cain, and Calvin Thibodeaux would be on the docket to stay in Norman. S&C? Well, how about former OU LB Russell Dennison? Think OU could swing Jerry Schmidt back after what he has done with the Aggies? Would he be interested? Connections there would make that an easy transition if that was the case, but I think it would be a long shot at this time. Remember, this is all hypothetical and a "what if" stuff anyways.

If Bill Bedenbaugh came back and stayed in Norman like it seems he might want to do in the long run, why wouldn't you finish the offensive staff with former Sooners great and legendary freestyler, Malcolm Kelly?

This is where we are IF Dan Lanning was the guy, but also know I am probably so far off on how this will all play out to not take this as fact. Just a little fun with some of the buzz we have heard over the last 72-hours, that's all.

HC - Dan Lanning

OC - Kenny Dillingham

DC - Lanning? Someone else, maybe?

QB- Dillingham

RB - Demarco Murray

TE - Joe Jon Finley

WR - Malcolm Kelly

OL - Bill Bedenbaugh (could he really be convinced to stay? Some say yes. We will find out soon)

DL - Calvin Thibodeaux

DE/OLB - Jamar Cain

LB - Dan Lanning

DB - TJ Rushing

ST - I don't know yet.

Director of Player Personnel - Drew Hill

*** Other Names ***

Yesterday, we said this in regards to Brent Venables after talking to a few well-connected sources, "With BV, some think he may not be as strong of a candidate anymore, but it could also be a deflection due to a lot of buzz in his direction. I can't confirm that, and honestly not sure I buy that either. We are digging still, but as coaching searches typically go, this thing is sending me down a lot of winding roads and chasing a lot of ghosts, as you all would expect."

The longer this drags out, the longer the sources that told me that stuff on BV seem to be right. Obviously, it's not over until they announce one, or we can confirm a hire from Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma. What we do know is that BV would take the job from the Sooners if offered. Multiple sources have told me that from day one. The Oklahoma head coaching job is one that BV respects and is viewed by him as a "destination job," per several sources that know this situation.

Regardless, I have also been told on several occasions that BV has yet to be offered the job. Is that truly the case? Again, it's nothing I can confirm 100%, but it's also something that seems very much a possibility the longer this coaching search at OU drags out.

I am not ready to completely throw BV's name out of the hat because we are dealing with Joe C. He is the mastermind of the shocking hire, and the second you stop talking about a candidate, the second they become one for real. If anyone wants to see how Joe C works, just go look at his men's basketball hires over the years. Always a sleight of hand type of deal, and then a boom hire that shocks folks comes about. I am expecting that here, too.

With that in mind, we have named Lanning and BV as candidates already. We seem to feel that the announcement will come Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. I don't expect one today, and right now, Friday seems like a possibility, but if one of the coaches is playing on Saturday, a Friday announcement wouldn't be ideal now, would it? I am not discounting that as a chance to happen as one source said, "Friday thru Sunday seems to be the timetable, but if it happens during one of the conference title games, it wouldn't shock me at all. You all (media) can't seem to hold your water and always like to let it leak a bit," the source said. "Plus, anything after Monday is treading into treacherous territory due to NSD and transfer portal stuff. If OU lets it get that far down the tracks, it's a major, major issue and one coaches would look at as a red flag."

Two other names that I have heard over the last 24-hours might pique the interest of the Sooners fans. One is a coach that I have heard from day one and have written about since the opening happened. That guy is Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell. Fickell has turned Cincinnati into one of the best programs in college football, and he did it while dealing with a G5 schedule and G5 perception.

The other is a head coach in the Big 12 and a guy that we heard the initial buzz on but scoffed it off early on because he was rumored to have been working with Baylor on a new deal. That is, of course, Dave Aranda. The contract stuff is something that hasn't yet come to light, so his name piques my interest, at the very least.

Aranda has built powerful defenses at Wisconsin and then at LSU, winning a national title in 2019. Since then, Aranda has continued to build up the Baylor Bears to the point they are playing for the Big 12 Title and in the top 10 with a 10-2 record right now. Not an easy feat at Baylor. A feat that can garner you a fat payday from a program like Oklahoma if Joe chose to go that route.

*** We will continue to watch this as closely as we can. We don't expect anything tonight, but things could start to heat up a bit starting tomorrow. The university is preparing for things around the football offices and stadium. They started that last night, and the trend continues, so we will pass it on as we get more information. One thing we can tell you is that you are on the downward part of the rollercoaster, and things are starting to move in the direction you all want them to move.

Now, we wait to see what name comes out of the shuffle and work on confirming it and informing you all of it.

Stay tuned there.

*** Recruiting ***

*** I briefly exchanged texts with the father of 2022 RB Gabe Sawchuk last night. They seemed to love their in-home with Bob Stoops, Cale Gundy and Demarco Murray. Kevin Sawchuk told me, "OU will make the right choice."

That choice would seem to hint that they have confidence in the head coach hire, along with them retaining Demarco Murray. All in all, that is a great sign and one that should help ease some tension with OU fans there.

What that means for OU, though? Well, a source in coaching ranks thinks Demarco Murray is "the real deal. That guy is legit, from what I have heard. I know he can recruit his a** off, that's for sure."

They said if they were in that position, they would retain him "in a heartbeat."

*** Murray has kept OU in it with four-star RB Jovantae Barnes, but Florida State has made quite the run, I am told. His relationship with the FSU staff and Kenny Dillingham is something to watch moving forward. If Murray is kept on the Sooners staff, that will go a long way, so this one is far from over and could come down to how the hires play out with OU over the next 5-10 days.

*** Bob Stoops, Cale Gundy and Calvin Thibodeaux were in the home of five-star DL commit and Sooners legacy Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy today at 11 am eastern time. I have yet to speak with the Dindy's about the in-home visit, but they were stoked to have Stoops in their home when I spoke with his father earlier this week.

UPDATE: Dindy's father texted me and said, "A pleasant visit. Good to meet coach Stoops and see coaches Thib and Gundy. Nothing that gives us any more insight into what our next move will be. Just waiting on the hire."

They want to be Sooners. This is no secret. I can tell you that Venables and Lanning are two that excite the Dindy's, for obvious reasons,

More on Dindy when I get it.

*** Lastly, I was told that OU met with Caleb Williams family again today. It was just a meeting to check in and nothing more, but the OU admin has been putting in the work with Joe Castiglione, Zack Selmon, and Bob Stoops all meeting/talking with them and keeping them updated on things going on outside of the coaching search at this time. This shows the dedication the university has to keep Williams in Norman.

All good signs there with CW and company.

Marvin Mims is another player I can tell you is in a wait-and-see mode. He wanted to temper reports of his potential transfer and stopped me at the game last night when I was at the game with my kiddos. We were walking up the stairs to the concession stand at halftime, and he stopped me to just talk a bit and added, "I want to stay at OU. I really do. Just ready to see who the next hire is."

Mims is a mature as they come. I wouldn't expect a hasty decision either way.

*** When all this is said and done, I will have a story or two for you all. Let's just say our lives cover this stuff has been insane the last 4-5 days. That is putting it lightly.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

If it's Lanning that really echoes the Stoops hire 20 whatever years ago. SEC defensive coordinator, mid 30s, never been a head coach. Stoops had a bit more experience. 

IDK, it worked back then but it's a risky move to say the least. Like others have said it will probably really hinge on who his OC is.

Sort of but not really. Stoops came in and gave offensive coach Spurrier a championship level defense because Spurrier couldn't field a good enough one before he got there. Kirby Smart is, obviously, a defensive coach. With Stoops you knew that defense was his. With Lanning that's not a certainty.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Parker Thune

Hide contents

Parker Thune

This fucking shit.  Why even bother shitting this out their ass?  Goddamnit.

Edited by Darth Tron

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Anyone have the war room from OB? Apparently Suchomel dropped some good nuggets on the remaining board and the transfer LB from UNLV.

He intends to visit next weekend. Everything else is typical recruit speak. Also he chose to leave cause he was tired of his teammates being content with losing like they did this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting