Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm disappointed the monkey didn't make it - but I'm guessing his parole officer wouldn't ok the trip.

Guess you haven't seen the @Brisketexan report on Gia's unknown whereabouts :  

"That monkey’s got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. She speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom. She'll blend in, disappear and you'll never see her again."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just an fyi...

Seems like a good idea to get rid of it. The HC carousel is bad but you’ve also got schools waiting to make staff changes until right after early signing day. That’s shitty for the recruits not having all the real info in their decision. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Can Sark go to Macy's or the Men's Wearhouse or some shit? Needs a new shitty blazer ASAP 

I mean it could be superstition at this point. He totally fucked up the season and recruiting was following accordingly then all of a sudden shit started falling in his lap. I might superstitiously refuse to change the jacket I was wearing when all that started if I were in his position, too. Don't tempt the gods.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Im hoping aggy going crazy with the bag game this year, results in them giving themselves enough rope to hang themselves via NCAA violations.

I know thinking the NCAA will do anything is a vain hope. But one can dream, right?

Id love the aggy tears from half their team bailing like what happened at Tennessee last year. 

I know the NCAA is inept but I don’t see how they can just turn a blind eye to what Aggy is doing just because it’s so far and above what even the top programs have historically done. When Alabama and UGA can’t even compete for recruits with an 8-4 team, something is out of line even for NCAA standards  

Plus if CTJ’s Covid ranch visits are true that’s another strike. 

I mean shit, if these under the table tax-free numbers are true for guys like Stewart, this could start getting the attention of the freaking IRS. A&M has probably dished out $1mm+ of untaxed payments this cycle alone. 

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I know the NCAA is inept but I don’t see how they can just turn a blind eye to what Aggy is doing just because it’s so far and above what even the top programs have historically done. When Alabama and UGA can’t even compete for recruits with an 8-4 team, something is out of line even for NCAA standards  

Plus if CTJ’s Covid ranch visits are true that’s another strike. 

I mean shit, if these under the table tax-free numbers are true for guys like Stewart, this could start getting the attention of the freaking IRS. A&M has probably dished out $1mm+ of untaxed payments this cycle alone. 

no need to continue

• Hook 'Em 2

Nahlin on class needs and overview:

Less than a week from signing day, Texas is sitting on 21 commitments with room for 26. Simple math tells us the staff can add five more prospects, but there may be some government accounting involved with the finish to this class. Since we don’t know the true number, we’ll discuss needs unencumbered by math and see how the staff plays its cards at the final table.

QB - 1

We know the staff would like to add another high school quarterback independent of what Quinn Ewers decides to do. If, as expected, Ewers selects Texas, assuming he wins the job he’s going to be a quicker fix than a late addition from the high school ranks.

Though the staff has QB as a need, it will be very low priority when measured against other positions.

RB - 1

Similar to quarterback, running back is low on the priority list but the staff would like to add another player after Jamarion Miller flipped to Alabama.

Ollie Gordon was offered but the Euless Trinity standout is highly unlikely to flip from Oklahoma State after committing to the Cowboys around the same time Kelvin Banks did. That’s how long ago his commitment was.

Grand Prairie’s Savion Red is one to watch. He’ll take an official visit to Texas this weekend. As numbers construct, versatility is a great, late ingredient. Red could also play off-the-ball linebacker, which is another need in the class.

WR - 2

It’s incomprehensible Andre Coleman only has Spearman stud Brenen Thompson committed in the class even though it’s been an obvious need going on two cycles now. Really, it’s been longer but he can’t be blamed for three years ago.

I do applaud the staff for not wanting to “reach” for players with the expectation they can back-fill out of the portal, but wide receivers are one of the sport‘s most common resources. Evaluate and unearth a gem or two.

If Ewers announces for Texas the coaches will make one final push for Evan Stewart. They could also press for Lewisville’s Armani Winfield, a former long-time commit who de-committed in the middle of Texas playing Kansas State.

Louisiana’s DeColdest Crawford, a recent LSU de-commitment, has been in communication with the staff.

Don’t read anything into this, it’s purely speculation, but maybe the staff has something up its sleeve. They are still recruiting Lousiaina product Shazz Preston and probably a couple who aren’t publicly known.

TE - 0

They might portal shop at this position depending on what Jared Wiley does. It never made much sense to take a TE in this class after taking three the year before.

OL - 3/4

The stated number for the class is five, and Kyle Flood already has two quality commitments in Westlake’s Connor Robertson and Frisco’s Cole Hutson, but the roster needs an infusion of bigs in a major way.

Texas looks good for Washington’s Malik Agbo. Assuming Flood adds the wide-body to the program, that leaves room for two more unless they can land someone too good to pass up late.

Flood has done well setting up quality options late. Here they are with some brief commentary:

LT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek: Most likely stays within driving distance of home, but the national sharks are circling.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita: My opinion has long been he’d end up at the school that had the better season between UT and A&M. Gulp. If that holds true, tallest midget it is, and that’s not a joke about Jimbo’s height.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen: A true wild card. He is taking odd visits this late in the game. I’m wondering if he’ll elect to push his decision back.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie: He’s visiting UGA this weekend, which of course requires some attention, but this recruitment sets up well for UT. Like Banks, he’s a major need.

OL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (CA.): Greene helps in that he’ll likely occupy a number at Alabama. Texas made a solid push here and had an in-home last week.

RT Cameron Williams, Duncanville: Williams is postponing his decision until February which helps and hurts Texas. I personally think it’s to UT’s advantage he does so as it allows time for Texas to reassess its overall needs. Flood is a huge fan.

DL - 0

When Pete Kwiatkowski and Bo Davis were hired I mentioned they would take a huge class and that’s what they did. Barring a major surprise, they’re going to have to deal with signing only 30% of the class, or whatever it ends up being.

LB - 1

Alabama’s TJ Dudley is likely to announce in February, and yet again, that’s to UT’s benefit. By then the dust will have settled, giving UT a clear view of needs, plus time to re-engage and build a relationship with the recent Oregon de-commitment.

As mentioned above, Savion Red could come into play at linebacker but I’m not sure that’s the immediate consideration.

A priority down the stretch will be to hold on to newly committed Kobie McKinzie from Lubbock Cooper.

DB - 2

Five-star CB Denver Harris and five-star STAR Harold Perkins are the big names here but UT is also recruiting LA’s Larry Turner-Gooden and Arlington Seguin’s Xavion Brice. Shreveport’s Kendrick Law is considering UT, but Alabama is the more likely destination.

Notes on Harris are in the moderator only thread. Texas needs to have a great in-home on Friday night.

Perkins had his in-home with Texas last night. Smart money is on A&M for him.

There’s a solid chance Turner-Gooden will end up in the Texas class. Though he’s signing next Wednesday he’s not announcing until January 8th at the All-America game in San Antonio.

Brice, an OU commit, will take an official visit to Texas this weekend. UT is recruiting him as a cornerback.

There’s a wide variety of potential outcomes for this Texas class.

The staff needs to coax the bottled blonde into the class in order to boost perception of program trajectory. They need to hit on two elite O-linemen, and truly, one of them needs to be Kelvin Banks. I have him as the top prospect in the state and he’s a left tackle which is one of the greatest needs on the roster. The staff needs to close Denver Harris, who is a true corner in a class full of guys who might be able to play the position.

We told you the finish would be a roller coaster. Some of you aren’t tall enough for this ride, the rest need to buckle up.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hasn’t Nahlin been completely wrong about a ton of the high profile recruiting battles? Should we just ignore him by now? I may be mixing him up with someone else. 

I’ll give him to NSD1 before completely determining. But yeah hasn’t been a good cycle for him or IT

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Hasn’t Nahlin been completely wrong about a ton of the high profile recruiting battles? Should we just ignore him by now? I may be mixing him up with someone else. 

I think they missed bad on Banks but other than that it has seemed par for industry standards. We will see if he can survive if we miss on Denver

39 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Is this bad news or is this implying commitments from higher priority targets?

🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Seems like a good idea to get rid of it. The HC carousel is bad but you’ve also got schools waiting to make staff changes until right after early signing day. That’s shitty for the recruits not having all the real info in their decision. 

Early NSD was a mistake. There have been a ton of unintended consequences that probably should have been predicted beforehand.

14 hours ago, Guest said:

Yep. Texas will still require a good coach, winning seasons, some level of a bag game, and a strong NIL to get key recruits. We have 1 of the 4 at present. Maybe NIL pulls in Ewers, but it doesn’t seem to mean much for Harris, Stewart, Banks, etc. 

Bro, just create an account and jump in on the convo

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The good news is even though aggy is tearing it up in recruiting they're still aggy 8-4 until they school crumbles. 

The bad news is we could use those recruits to better our program, so now they're going to waste. 

I expect that they might lose a couple if Elko and Robinson both leave. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The good news is even though aggy is tearing it up in recruiting they're still aggy 8-4 until they school crumbles. 

The bad news is we could use those recruits to better our program, so now they're going to waste. 

While I completely agree, the portal has changed what it means to sign a high school recruit that doesn't have to wait and can leave and play immediately.  Its one thing to sit behind other high star guys at programs competing year in and year out for championships, its another thing to sit behind guys because you're new but have never had to wait your entire football career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While I completely agree, the portal has changed what it means to sign a high school recruit that doesn't have to wait and can leave and play immediately.  Its one thing to sit behind other high star guys at programs competing year in and year out for championships, its another thing to sit behind guys because you're new but have never had to wait your entire football career.

I'm hoping Sark isn't a total regard and actually kills it in the portal. We need dudes immediately. We absolutely cannot have another o-line like we did this season and expect anyone to come here. 

Also want to add he needs to stop with the Ben Davis kind of scrubs. Ovie was ok, but again he's pretty JAG-y. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Texas working on LSU commit Emery Jones

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

Emery Jones is considering his options.

The four-star offensive lineman from Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic committed to LSU in July, but other schools have been contacting him. Recently, Terry Joseph spoke with him and the Longhorns are working on getting him in for a visit. Speaking with Billy Embody of Geaux247, Jones detailed his contact with other schools.

"Probably take an official visit to Texas. Arkansas been texting me," he said. "Tennessee been texting me a little bit. Pretty much those schools I'm in contact with. Get the experience, some people don't get that. I just want to be thankful and just take every opportunity I get."

Jones is looking at pushing his recruitment until the February signing date. He maintains that he's firm to LSU, but he does want to take his trips.

"No doubt in my mind I'm going to take it to February," Jones said. "I know everything LSU has to offer. Obviously, LSU is my favorite school and it's the school I feel like fits me best. I'm pretty locked in to LSU whether I'm signing in December or February. I'm pretty locked in with the Tigers."

The Longhorns have been active in looking for offensive linemen in this class. Texas would like to host him and make the run at flipping him.

"They just want to get me up there and they want me to give them a chance to see what they have to offer up there in Texas," he said. "Talking to coach Joseph and he's just been telling me that if I want to see it, I can see it and go from there. I like him. We talked on the phone once or twice, kind of talking. He just told me he wanted me to win a state championship, focus on that and then we'll talk about a visit."

With the coaching change at LSU, Jones is using it as an opportunity to re-evaluate everything. The Tigers are retaining Brad Davis on the offensive line, and Jones said the Tigers still hold the top place for him.

"I'm pretty locked in. Been looking at a couple colleges. I took only three official visits so maybe taking one more not counting LSU this weekend. Just go and look and see what some colleges have to offer, but I'm still locked in tight.

"I'm going to wait till February to sign just because I can't early graduate at Catholic so I'm just going to wait till February, let everything fall down into place and kind of just be patient."

At 6-foot-4, 341 pounds, Jones is ranked as the No. 8 interior offensive lineman in the country and No. 12 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

247Sports' Billy Embody conducted this interview

https://247sports.com/player/emery-jones-46101512/

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

Emery Jones is considering his options.

The four-star offensive lineman from Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic committed to LSU in July, but other schools have been contacting him. Recently, Terry Joseph spoke with him and the Longhorns are working on getting him in for a visit. Speaking with Billy Embody of Geaux247, Jones detailed his contact with other schools.

"Probably take an official visit to Texas. Arkansas been texting me," he said. "Tennessee been texting me a little bit. Pretty much those schools I'm in contact with. Get the experience, some people don't get that. I just want to be thankful and just take every opportunity I get."

Jones is looking at pushing his recruitment until the February signing date. He maintains that he's firm to LSU, but he does want to take his trips.

"No doubt in my mind I'm going to take it to February," Jones said. "I know everything LSU has to offer. Obviously, LSU is my favorite school and it's the school I feel like fits me best. I'm pretty locked in to LSU whether I'm signing in December or February. I'm pretty locked in with the Tigers."

The Longhorns have been active in looking for offensive linemen in this class. Texas would like to host him and make the run at flipping him.

"They just want to get me up there and they want me to give them a chance to see what they have to offer up there in Texas," he said. "Talking to coach Joseph and he's just been telling me that if I want to see it, I can see it and go from there. I like him. We talked on the phone once or twice, kind of talking. He just told me he wanted me to win a state championship, focus on that and then we'll talk about a visit."

With the coaching change at LSU, Jones is using it as an opportunity to re-evaluate everything. The Tigers are retaining Brad Davis on the offensive line, and Jones said the Tigers still hold the top place for him.

"I'm pretty locked in. Been looking at a couple colleges. I took only three official visits so maybe taking one more not counting LSU this weekend. Just go and look and see what some colleges have to offer, but I'm still locked in tight.

"I'm going to wait till February to sign just because I can't early graduate at Catholic so I'm just going to wait till February, let everything fall down into place and kind of just be patient."

At 6-foot-4, 341 pounds, Jones is ranked as the No. 8 interior offensive lineman in the country and No. 12 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

247Sports' Billy Embody conducted this interview

https://247sports.com/player/emery-jones-46101512/

6’4 341, makes sense. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting