Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

A lot of people talked themselves into Kobie a couple of days ago and Burke looks a lot better on tape than him. 

I’m a Westlake homer but like all year I’ve wondered why a giant aggressive dude who’s committed to Michigan and has quite the frame wasn’t getting any if much interest from us 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Burke is better than Mckinize. Much better fit playing on the edge. Better player. More potential.

Totally agree with this.  When we had McKinzie committed, it was like...where is he going to play?  Almost no chance he stuck at linebacker (even in the SEC) at his size, and then you have to hope he can spin down to a DE.

Eric Nahlin: A pre-NSD Stream of Consci_ _ness

It’s been go-time for the last week, but things are beginning to move even faster now. I’ve seen a few people state they can’t keep up with the board, well that’s a product of our inability to keep up with calls and messages. Here are some thoughts with the short early signing day window beginning tomorrow. I’ll keep this brief. You guys can fill in the gaps with deeper conversation (wink) if you want.

Prioritize the draft, not free agency

Texas is in an usual spot in which it struggled on the field and needs immediate help for next season, yet it‘s recruiting so well it would be short-sighted to pass on high quality high school products for stop-gaps out of the portal.

Now, the names we’ve heard associated with the portal are pretty strong, not as strong as Quinn Ewers, but still. That said, the men in charge want to build this program from the ground up and want to do it right the first time. They want a 10-year run of excellence, not the ups and downs associated with poor management decisions. The best way to build an enduring run is through recruiting and dedicating numbers across the lines.

The investment and sacrifices being made today will yield great returns long-term. Fear not, there will still be some free agency to track out of the portal.

NIL just in time

Pour one out for the those who sarcastically mentioned NIL‘s impact whenever it was written about. The timing of the Clark Field Collective as well as Horns with Hearts couldn’t have come at a better time. In particular, the Pancake Factory appears to be paying dividends. Or maybe it’s coincidence Texas landed Kelvin Banks, Cam Williams, and Neto Umeozulu in successive days.

That’s not to say Kyle Flood hasn’t done a great job recruiting. He has, and his reputation along with early playing time makes Texas an attractive option, but, nobody could have foreseen Texas having the best O-line class in the country one year removed from signing just Hayden Conner and Max Merril.

Let’s keep in mind: Flood is the same, quality recruiter he was 8 months ago. Recruiting rainmakers are myth more than anything else. They’re a product of having favorable tailwinds. Momentum is a big one, and it appears corners coach Terry Joseph may be next to ride the wave.

December tells the June story

You may recall the post I made in late June or early July in which I posited July would tell us how successful the June recruiting/visiting window was for the coaches. That month couldn’t have been more disappointing as Texas got friend-zoned for one prospect after another. Even before the month took a negative turn, we lamented Steve Sarkisian might have a problem with closing.

I felt Texas had good fundamentals heading into July. I also predicted 10 wins coming into the season. But what we’re learning right now is they did have a solid foundation with the class, it was just six months away from manifesting. (Hopefully I was 12 months early on the season prediction.)

Even simple math is hard

Class numbers is basic addition and subtraction, but trying to understand how numbers at each position will be allocated is a fool’s errand right now. That’s because best player available can often trump presumed needs. E.g., Texas needs numbers at receiver but the staff isn’t eager to just fill a spot. Although, I’d take Armani Winfield’s letter of intent before shredding it at halftime of K-State’s bowl game.

Even with NSD tomorrow, many position numbers are in flux. If an elite target can be landed, the plan seems to be to get him in the class and count numbers later. They are big game hunting.

To that end

We’re not ruling out a surprise or two between now and the end of the signing window on Friday. A staff that appeared too passive in the summer is reaching out to every top recruit it has contact information for to see if they’re content with their decision. They‘re prioritizing players committed to schools that have experienced staff turnover or have speculation circulating about departing staff. In one case, the player they’re communicating with is a heavy lean to a national power…but those pesky coaching rumors make it worth contacting the player.

We’ll see if anything shakes out from these last call overtures, but you have to love the staff having good options in front of them yet still looking to improve them.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting