Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know man- I think people view him as a fast guy who has the chance at being a deep threat but not somebody you are going to count on to move the ball consistently down the field.  
Will it be good to have another guy who can rip the top off? Sure.  But that doesn't solve our needs.  What we really need is a Lil Jordan or Kwame Cavil or some other type dude that can catch a ton of balls, move the chains and keep drives going on when we need 7-10 yards.  X has plenty of big play ability but he's small and slight and you don't want him trying to make a living as a possession/move the chains kind of guy. Thompson doesn't help us there.  Carl's cousin could be that guy if his hands weren't subpar and if he could play for more than 3 games in a row without gimping himself.

lol, these kind of post are funny.

During the last 10 years, why do we always have these big slow receivers?

Now we're targeting fast smaller guys, WHY DON'T WE RECRUIT BIGGER POSSESSION RECEIVERS!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know man- I think people view him as a fast guy who has the chance at being a deep threat but not somebody you are going to count on to move the ball consistently down the field.  
Will it be good to have another guy who can rip the top off? Sure.  But that doesn't solve our needs.  What we really need is a Lil Jordan or Kwame Cavil or some other type dude that can catch a ton of balls, move the chains and keep drives going on when we need 7-10 yards.  X has plenty of big play ability but he's small and slight and you don't want him trying to make a living as a possession/move the chains kind of guy. Thompson doesn't help us there.  Carl's cousin could be that guy if his hands weren't subpar and if he could play for more than 3 games in a row without gimping himself.

We solved a whole bunch of problems (probably) with this class.  We just didn't really do anything to solve our gaping hole at receiver (or LB, or TE). The hope at TE, obviously, is that the guys we got last year will be dudes (TE isn't really a position that is known for true freshmen showing out) and start showing out next year, but we still are lacking that other dude at WR.  Hopefully it happens in the portal.  Mim has been my hope since Riley left.  Not super likely, but that would be awesome.

if we start infusing Whittington with adamantium from now until next season...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We solved a whole bunch of problems (probably) with this class.  We just didn't really do anything to solve our gaping hole at receiver (or LB, or TE). The hope at TE, obviously, is that the guys we got last year will be dudes (TE isn't really a position that is known for true freshmen showing out) and start showing out next year, but we still are lacking that other dude at WR.  Hopefully it happens in the portal.  Mim has been my hope since Riley left.  Not super likely, but that would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Maybe someone like Armani Winfield. 

You want a prototype Herman WR - Caleb Douglas being that guy that's out on the market.

10 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Serious and likely dumb question:  are there examples of small receivers who played small school competition who have gone on to ball out / ball out early on big stage? 

I really like the kid but it's also not reassuring to know that my ass would have been good enough (i.e. a barely athletic warm body) to play for most of the teams he's owning in his tape.  Did he dominate 7 on 7 circuit against better competition?

I'm sure there are lots of examples but a couple from UT I can think of off the top of my head:  Quan Cosby came from Mart.  Not sure if they even have a stoplight. And Shipley wouldn't exactly qualify as "big" either I don't think.  

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Now we're targeting fast smaller guys, WHY DON'T WE RECRUIT BIGGER POSSESSION RECEIVERS!

Nah, that's not really what I'm saying. Cavil and Lil Jordan both caught like 100 passes and were super helpful for us.  You want 1 of those guys, that can go over the middle and move the chains. They can't all be burners/smurfs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Serious and likely dumb question:  are there examples of small receivers who played small school competition who have gone on to ball out / ball out early on big stage? 

I really like the kid but it's also not reassuring to know that my ass would have been good enough (i.e. a barely athletic warm body) to play for most of the teams he's owning in his tape.  Did he dominate 7 on 7 circuit against better competition?

As concerns Texas, perhaps the most obvious answer has been, and remains, Johnny "Lam" Jones. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I honestly don't know. But I mean, with worthy and perhaps another WR schematically causing issues. Thompson really only needs to be able to catch the ball cleanly on WR screens and start running to either exploit coverage weaknesses, or to just eat up a CB to take him out of the play. Anything else is gravy, imo. Hell, if we can make him decent at getting off press, even better, but that's probably asking a lot of a small freshman if he's playing wide. 

Worthy was kind of the same profile last year and he regularly beat press. Guys who are that fast can pretty regularly do it with even an average level of lateral quickness, plus Sarkisian can always scheme him open with motions etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

James Washington from Stamford, TX.  Formerly of Oklahoma State and now the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Yes. It's a 4A private school. Or were you under the impression that all of the private schools in Texas were in the same classification?

I would think he qualifies as an "example of small receivers who played small school competition who have gone on to ball out / ball out early on big stage?" . 

Nah, use to coach at BMT Kelly, just forgot 

Nah, that's not really what I'm saying. Cavil and Lil Jordan both caught like 100 passes and were super helpful for us.  You want 1 of those guys, that can go over the middle and move the chains. They can't all be burners/smurfs.

You don't need big receivers to do that. You need smart receivers who can recognize coverages and know when to settle in between the zone, especially in the offense we want to run. It's why Whittington was successful early on for us. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His first couple of years were injuries....nothing related to talent. 

Your memory is probably better than mine.  Looks like he registered a touch in every game his freshman year and in 9 of his sophomore.  That obviously doesn't mean he wasn't banged up. 

I think that factors into my original question though-  Going from small school high school competition where nobody can catch you to the physicality of big time college football is a tough transition, presumably for a smaller guy like Brennan.  

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His first couple of years were injuries....nothing related to talent. 

That's exactly right.  He was going to be our #1 WR very likely in 2004 but for his injury in camp.  He was lighting people up before he hurt his knee.  And we had very little at WR that year -- thankfully Scaife and Thomas were stud TEs.

We had just lost Roy, BJ and Sloan in 2003.  We had Jeffery and youngsters.  Shipley was the stud who was ready to play day one.  He just got hurt twice.  He was a legit 4.4 guy before his injuries.  Still was plenty fast after.

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

Your memory is probably better than mine.  Looks like he registered a touch in every game his freshman year and in 9 of his sophomore.  That obviously doesn't mean he wasn't banged up. 

I think that factors into my original question though-  Going from small school high school competition where nobody can catch you to the physicality of big time college football is a tough transition, presumably for a smaller guy like Brennan.  

I mean, don't forget he was behind a LOADED roster at that time. In the age where you stack talented players for years and if they don't play they wait their turn. Life is different now. Also, he was injured quite a bit. 

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Jordan Shipley is the best route running high school WR I've seen in the state....when he finished HS he had a ton of receiving records. Dude was so fast and so good at his craft. 

In 2004 he had a knee injury and in 2005 he had a hamstring injury. He didn’t play a down either season. From what I recall he was tearing it up in camp before the injury in his freshmen year happened.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Don’t think he’s talking about a roster full of big slow WR’s.  I wouldn’t mind having a LJH,  or Kwame Cavil type on the team.

Neither one of them was very fast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, D3zii said:

So cause Nalin conceded Harris to A&M that means is over??? Have y’all not seen how all this recruiting is working out?? 

~ Stewart committed to Texas during the national championship and even openly recruited for us and got BJ Allen and then de-committed  

~ Harris shitted on A&M basically all year and then all of a sudden has a top 3 with them included and the so-called Favorite. 

~ Bryce Anderson was all Texas until one weekend in college station changed everything 

~ Terrance Brooks has been committed to Ohio State forever then All of a sudden Flipped to Texas Two weeks ago and not one Insider knew until Tuesday 

~ Omari from Duncanville hasn’t even looked Texas way until Yesterday and has now moved things back and plans on getting to Austin soon

my point is no one knows Anything ~ insiders included and even when we think we do kids change like the weather in a blink of an eye. They can wake up one day and switch the next. We could win all our remaining targets or lose them all  but with us being in it after a  horrible season let’s me know these coaches are working . . . 

How bout we just chill and let it work out . I think these coaches have proved they deserve that much 

Add Neto and Williams to that list sir.  Agree, we just signed an amazing class with a lot of unexpected but hoped for players.  I'm happy with Sark as coach - let him have time to build.  As you said, we can bitch and moan but why not trust and support. Let the foundation get built and we just did a ton of foundation work with this class in the trenches. 

I'm older - use to meet Mackovic weekly as I was going to scuba lessons (MPA and BBA) yea don't hate it was my relax as a former swimmer. He was a wonderful human, he invited me to attend our bowl against NC. I was fortunate to meet Priest Holmes, Ricky, James Brown - others.  This has no bearing but let Sark build a foundation and tbh if in year 4 he's pulling a Jimbo 8-4  - we move on.  

• Hook 'Em 5

maybe flex out one of the TEs --> WR for this? we have a bunch of dudes who are much better at catching than blocking anyway

image.png.7148b8e282160a592fa34842b3b30bf2.png

in theory, the only guy(s) who really match this concept in the WR room are both made of glass - Whittington somehow less so than Omeire

image.png.131bc597144eb0bb89f68782cd01eaba.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, don't forget he was behind a LOADED roster at that time. In the age where you stack talented players for years and if they don't play they wait their turn. Life is different now. Also, he was injured quite a bit. 

We had dick for WRs that year.  Big 3 had graduated.  Lots of busts from classes after Big 3.  Timmons, Marquis Johnson, Myron Hardy, etc.  Sweed and Pittman were not ready for prime time until 2005.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

maybe flex out one of the TEs --> WR for this? we have a bunch of dudes who are much better at catching than blocking anyway

in theory, the only guy(s) who really match this concept in the WR room are both made of glass - Whittington somehow less so than Omeire

No, IMO. We're going to have to coach those young TE's up to be pass blockers especially considering Sark's base offense requires two for what he wants to do. None of those guys have the speed. I'm interested to see Juan Davis and Jatavion next year after a full year of development. 

Isn't there rumors of Wiley hitting the portal? Omeire is nothing to me considering his injury issues, until proven otherwise.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We had dick for WRs that year.  Big 3 had graduated.  Lots of busts from classes after Big 3.  Timmons, Marquis Johnson, Myron Hardy, etc.  Sweed and Pittman were not ready for prime time until 2005.

I'll take your word for it. I just remember not having an issue moving the football on the ground or air in 2005, obviously, and I knew we were recruiting well enough. 

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What is the outlook for J. Sanders? He play at all this year?

Ask again after the spring. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You don't need big receivers to do that. You need smart receivers who can recognize coverages and know when to settle in between the zone, especially in the offense we want to run. It's why Whittington was successful early on for us. 

Ok.  That's fine.  Is there any way in hell that's Thompson, which was my point that you responded to?  Do you want 162 pound worthy catching a bunch of balls over the middle?

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Estell is gone, Red is a RB, and add Thompson.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll take your word for it. I just remember not having an issue moving the football on the ground or air in 2005, obviously, and I knew we were recruiting well enough. 

I was talking about 2004.  Jeffery was the leading receiver with 33 catches. Then Thomas and Scaife.

2005 we spread it around and had more receivers ready.  Pittman, Sweed, Cosby, Carter and we had moved Ramonce Taylor to WR.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Re: WR's - I still have high hopes for Jaden Alexis - I think he is talented as hell and could surprise if he is fully recovered.

Yeah I want to see him play. He is also a speed demon. Kelvontay could be solid with some confidence and coaching too, he’s shifty.

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What is the outlook for J. Sanders? He play at all this year?

On the FCB podcast with Cade Brewer, he said JT makes a bunch of catches in practice or whatever but he sounded most impressed with Helm and Davis. He said Davis is the fastest TE and has the best hands by far of the group. He mentioned Helm as being the smartest.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jordan Shipley is the best route running high school WR I've seen in the state....when he finished HS he had a ton of receiving records. Dude was so fast and so good at his craft. 

In 2004 he had a knee injury and in 2005 he had a hamstring injury. He didn’t play a down either season. From what I recall he was tearing it up in camp before the injury in his freshmen year happened.

I forgot he was on campus for 6 years.

So he didn't register a catch (due to injuries mentioned above) until his 3rd season out of high school.

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

So cause Nalin conceded Harris to A&M that means is over??? Have y’all not seen how all this recruiting is working out?? 

~ Stewart committed to Texas during the national championship and even openly recruited for us and got BJ Allen and then de-committed  

~ Harris shitted on A&M basically all year and then all of a sudden has a top 3 with them included and the so-called Favorite. 

~ Bryce Anderson was all Texas until one weekend in college station changed everything 

~ Terrance Brooks has been committed to Ohio State forever then All of a sudden Flipped to Texas Two weeks ago and not one Insider knew until Tuesday 

~ Omari from Duncanville hasn’t even looked Texas way until Yesterday and has now moved things back and plans on getting to Austin soon

my point is no one knows Anything ~ insiders included and even when we think we do kids change like the weather in a blink of an eye. They can wake up one day and switch the next. We could win all our remaining targets or lose them all  but with us being in it after a  horrible season let’s me know these coaches are working . . . 

How bout we just chill and let it work out . I think these coaches have proved they deserve that much 

Stewart didn't commit at halftime of championship game. So your overall point that some ppl don't know anything does have some standing

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

Damn, seeing it laid out like that - that is a sad WR room. Best player by a mile was a true freshman. Second best is constantly injured. Can't even give out a bronze medal.

Hope Stewart likes it at aggy, he would've caught a bunch of balls here next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Re: WR's - I still have high hopes for Jaden Alexis - I think he is talented as hell and could surprise if he is fully recovered.

Prior to the arrival of Worthy, Alexis was the guy getting a ton of Sark love... Spring game had him as the deep threat for Casey, which he missed on all of the throws.  But Alexis was there behind the coverage every time.  Once healthy I would expect him high on the lineup once again

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting