Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, NoName said:

this is the OU plan these days.

let's recruit great offensive players and move anyone who has any real talent over to offense...then just see if we can score a million points per game and hope their offense gets tired enough that they only score 999,999 and we win

It's almost like I've seen this before...as if he leached this philosophy from somewhere....

I guess it's a mystery.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Geoff Ketchum is the Texas version of Billy Liucci, just without the connections to the program, the knowing when to shut the fuck up or he analyst (which is saying something)

And Texas fans never want to be seen in public with Ketchum. Nobody here thinks he's a celebrity.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Geoff does. Come on out, you fat garbage person.

The latest Yakk podcast Geoff talked all about the type of player he was.  Geoff Ketchum was the type of player who could take as much yelling as the coach could dish out - but some of today's players just aren't wired this way.

Does Ketch know that kids that looked like Billy Bob didn't actually get to play?

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The latest Yakk podcast Geoff talked all about the type of player he was.  Geoff Ketchum was the type of player who could take as much yelling as the coach could dish out - but some of today's players just aren't wired this way.

Does Ketch know that kids that looked like Billy Bob didn't actually get to play?

I remember fat tubs of shit like Ketchum playing in 7th grade. They were always the last ones, by far, to finish drills. Blubbering their eyes out trying to finish bear crawls and stuff like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He used to post here a lot, but something spooked him a few months ago. 

handle was @closetojumping

im actually kind of impressed that Ewers didn't bring back CTJ or the TARS, even for a short period of time.

CTJ has been gone for 4+ months posting wise. not sure if either lurk.

giphy.gif

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

im actually kind of impressed that Ewers didn't bring back CTJ or the TARS, even for a short period of time.

CTJ has been gone for 4+ months posting wise. not sure if either lurk.

giphy.gif

No way he is lurking, Carl having inside sources and getting the boards glizzy hard would send him over the edge into posting.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He doesn’t. He can’t resist bait. 

in golfing with him today. I’ll tell him all of you told him to get fucked. 

This is the first post where I thought having a pos rep "fuck you" option woudn't just be nice, but almost necessary. May I suggest a box of Cheerios option?

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1

Denver Harris 247 article

Spoiler

Denver Harris is a busy man.

The five-star prospect from Galena Park North Shore holds 36 offers from all over the country. Texas offered Harris last fall, and the Longhorns have been a contender in his recruitment for a while. Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai has been in charge of his recruitment, and Harris said the two talk frequently.

“I’ve been talking to Texas at least once a week since COVID started,” Harris said.

The Texas class is looking to get off to a fast start following the commitment of Quinn Ewers. Harris said he definitely took notice, but he wants to make sure he completes his own process.

“I’ve always liked Texas,” he said. “Quinn committing is fantastic, but that doesn’t make me feel like I have to follow his lead.”

Harris talked with Ewers a few times since he committed. He’s in a group chat with Ewers and a few other top prospects, and Ewers has been on his game recruiting.

“Quinn and I are in the same group chat,” he said. “We’ve had a few Texas conversations. He’s definitely reppin his new school home.”

Ohio State is another school that’s been mentioned for Harris. He hasn’t been able to speak with them as much, but he hopes to change that soon.

“I haven’t really had a lot of conversations with Ohio State,” he said. “It’s just that they are not able to reach out directly. That changes September 1, so I hope to change that.”

Harris thinks his class can be special. It won’t change his timeline, but he hopes to have a big moment for himself when he makes his commitment.

“I see my 2022 class making moves,” Harris said. “It’s not gonna make me rush my process, but please believe when I commit it’s gonna be big.”

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Harris is ranked as the No. 5 cornerback in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Charles Power: The Red River rivalry has big-time shootouts in its future

In case you didn’t realize, the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry game is now called The AT&T Red River Showdown. If recent recruiting events are any indication, future contests may resemble the prior moniker – the Red River Shootout – at least in terms of on-field play.  The No.1 ranked quarterbacks in the 2021 and 2022 recruiting cycles – Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers – are set to take part in the rivalry. Williams, who ranks as the top quarterback and No. 7 overall prospect among rising high school seniors per the 247Sports Composite, committed to the Sooners on July 4.  Texas answered by landing Ewers, 247Sports’ top-ranked rising junior, on Aug. 14. Adding two of the nation’s best arm talents to the Big 12 rivalry is sure to increase the likelihood of fireworks in the years to come. 

Each five-star quarterback fits well with his future college coach and offensive scheme.  Williams provides Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley with a versatile skill set behind center. The Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga standout is capable of creating a mismatch in the run game with his athleticism and speed, allowing for some dangerous opportunities on designed runs. His arm talent also allows for the whole passing playbook to remain open, as well. Lincoln Riley has had a number of different quarterbacks thus far in Norman between Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts and has molded his scheme to fit their skills. He could feasibly grab from each of the three in fitting his offense for Williams. 

This offseason saw Tom Herman and Texas bring in offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich from Ohio State to spruce up the Longhorns’ attack. Yurcich was at Oklahoma State for several years prior to spending 2019 in Columbus. His schemes look to be a strong fit for Ewers, who is a historically high-rated pledge for Texas. Yurcich’s offenses have played with tempo and pushed the ball downfield – two areas where Ewers excels. The Southlake (Texas) Carroll signal caller is advanced when it comes to his pocket feel, downfield arm, timing and location. I’m not sure we’ve seen a recent quarterback in Austin with the type of vertical passing ability that Ewers could bring to the table.  The addition of Yurcich alone could further the offensive output we see from the rivalry. In his last two years at Oklahoma State, we saw the in-state clash with Oklahoma, also known as Bedlam, turn into a legitimate track meet. In 2017 both teams combined for 1,446 yards of offense in a 62-52 Oklahoma win. Things were a bit tighter in 2018 with Oklahoma squeaking out a 48-47 victory with both teams accounting for 1,342 yards of offense. Yurcich’s quarterbacks threw for 448 yards and 501 yards in those two games. 

Williams and Ewers are set to join quarterback rooms that already have some top talent. Oklahoma’s presumed starter is Spencer Rattler, the former No. 1 quarterback from the 2019 recruiting cycle. Between Rattler, Williams and Ewers, three of the last six quarterbacks to be ranked as five-stars by 247Sports are set to play in Red River. While Texas doesn’t have another former five-star quarterback on its roster, Tom Herman has certainly flipped the quarterback room in Austin from a talent perspective. After holding on to Sam Ehlinger in his initial signing class, Herman has landed multiple four-star quarterbacks over the past few years, including two top 100 freshmen in Hudson Card and Ja’Quinden Jackson in the 2020 cycle. 

The Red River Showdown is already one of the more unique rivalries in college football. It’s played at the Cotton Bowl in the midst of the Texas State Fair. The crowd is literally split down the middle between Oklahoma and Texas fans. It is played in October, earlier than many other rivalries. The recent games have also been very competitive with just one of the last seven clashes being decided by more than a touchdown.  The food at the Texas State Fair is known for its grease content, but we’ve seen a little spice added to the rivalry here recently. In the aftermath of Ewers’ commitment, Lincoln Riley tweeted a pawn emoji. Prior to the announcement, Oklahoma was considered among the top schools in the mix for the five-star. Was Riley’s tweet a coincidence? A veiled shot? I’m not sure. 

It’s not as though the rivalry has lacked any off-field juice, either. We had the whole “Horns Down” discussion last year. Then there’s the Baker Mayfield-Sam Ehlinger beef among Austin natives and high school rivals. While there doesn’t appear to be a similar personal animus between Williams and Ewers, these are two quarterbacks who don’t lack in attitude and swagger. This rivalry should continue to cross over to the recruiting trail in the meantime. Oklahoma continues to heavily recruit the Lonestar State and Texas is already looking to ride the wave of Ewers’ commitment to generating some steam among in-state prospects.  We might be a few years away from seeing a Caleb Williams-Quinn Ewers showdown in the Cotton Bowl, but it’s fun to envision what that matchup may look like in the future.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

“I haven’t really had a lot of conversations with Ohio State,” he said. “It’s just that they are not able to reach out directly. That changes September 1, so I hope to change that.”

Translation: I have not made a point to reach out to fOSU and will gauge their interest by how much they reach out to me. 

Reportedly, Texas has been in heavy contact which is again, initiated by Harris. Hope he shuts it down soon. 

TFB notes on 22' guys from the Open Post:

A few 2022 updates 

I was able to connect with a few top 2022 prospects to get quick updates on their status and thoughts about the Quinn Ewers commitment. I’ll also share my thoughts on a few other guys in the class where there has been some activity this week.

Summer Creek 5-Star OT Kelvin Banks Jr

Texas got a great player and it seems like Texas is a great fit for him.” 

When asked if it got his attention at all: “I’m not sure yet. But, any decision I make won’t be based off of what Quarterback is there.”

IMG Academy 5-Star S Kamari Wilson

“I’ve been in contact with Texas for a couple of months now and Coach Valai has been recruiting me the entire time.”

“I love the vibe about UT, I just have to get to Austin and put my eyes on everything when I get the chance.”

“The most important factors in my recruitment will be the defensive scheme and how they mold their athletes as men not just players.”

Manvel LB and Texas offer Justin Medlock 

“I’m talking to Texas and OU each about once a week.”

“I’m happy for Quinn and his commit. It makes me look at Texas even harder now.”

Klein Cain 4-Star RB Jaydon Blue 

When I debuted my 2022 rankings, Blue debuted as the top Running Back in Texas. Earlier this week, he was recognized by Rivals as the top Running Back in the nation. 

I also mentioned in my write-up that Blue was a big fan of both Texas and LSU. I feel comfortable stating that the Longhorns should be considered the favorite for Blue at this point. 

Lewisville 4-Star WR Armani Winfield 

There were some crystal balls put in for Winfield earlier this week and I can confirm that Winfield does indeed have a good relationship with Ewers. 

Although I’ve always personally viewed Winfield as Oklahoma’s to lose for over a year now, I no longer feel that way. The Sooners could be looking at bringing in a large Wide Receiver class in 2022 and they don’t have a shortage of options. While I don’t believe that anything is imminent, these things could end up playing in the Longhorns’ favor in a big way here.

Port Arthur Memorial 4-Star CB Jaylon Guilbeau 

There’s also been chatter about Guilbeau and the Longhorns this week. In the 2022 debut, I mentioned that the Longhorns would be a very strong contender for Guilbeau’s commitment whenever the time comes. 

With teammate Jordon Thomas already on board, it truly does some like more of a matter of “when” and not “if” when it comes to Guilbeau ultimately ending up in Austin. 

Del Valle 5-Star WR Caleb Burton 

I recently stated that I didn’t think that Texas would be much of a factor in Burton’s recruitment. I was going to back off of that claim anyway after seeing recent comments by Burton about the Texas staff. When you add in the Ewers commitment, all of a sudden Texas actually looks like it may be a real contender here after all for the Austin-area standout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't think Burton ends up at Texas just based off of a gut feeling and nothing factual.  We've basically whiffed on every elite skill player from centex under Strong and Herman.  

I think you can right Kelvin Banks off.  I don't think he has any interest in Texas.  He's going to end up at aggy.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't think Burton ends up at Texas just based off of a gut feeling and nothing factual.  We've basically whiffed on every elite skill player from centex under Strong and Herman.  

I think you can right Kelvin Banks off.  I don't think he has any interest in Texas.  He's going to end up at aggy.

Saved By The Bell Shrug GIF

Edited by Houston20
  • Hook 'Em 1

IT note on Cooper being a lock to Stanford stinks.  The DL doesn't look very deep early on for this class.  Seems to be a drop off after Abor, the Bear, and Sylla.

Hope Perkins isn't attached to PJ Williams and Donovan Green like IT is alluding to, because both of them are probably aggy bound.  That kid is the type of LB we need in this system.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Summer Creek 5-Star OT Kelvin Banks Jr

Texas got a great player and it seems like Texas is a great fit for him.” 

When asked if it got his attention at all: “I’m not sure yet. But, any decision I make won’t be based off of what Quarterback is there.”

Advantage aggy

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

IT note on Cooper being a lock to Stanford stinks.  The DL doesn't look very deep early on for this class.  Seems to be a drop off after Abor, the Bear, and Sylla.

Hope Perkins isn't attached to PJ Williams and Donovan Green like IT is alluding to, because both of them are probably aggy bound.  That kid is the type of LB we need in this system.

It still is pretty early and teams haven't begun to organize visits or post COVID.  Also, there hasn't been one season played, much less two.  A lot will change.  

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting