oh no big deal, just a two year old case of louisiana state police murdering a black man

hayden_horn

https://apnews.com/article/ronald-greene-death-louisiana-eca021d8a54ec73598dd72b269826f7a

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana state troopers were captured on body camera video stunning, punching and dragging a Black man as he apologized for leading them on a high-speed chase -- footage of the man’s last moments alive that The Associated Press obtained after authorities refused to release it for two years.

“I’m your brother! I’m scared! I’m scared!” Ronald Greene can be heard telling the white troopers as the unarmed man is jolted repeatedly with a stun gun before he even gets out of his car along a dark, rural road.

The 2019 arrest outside Monroe, Louisiana, is the subject of a federal civil rights investigation. But unlike other in-custody deaths across the nation where body camera video was released almost immediately, Greene’s case has been shrouded in secrecy and accusations of a cover-up.

Louisiana officials have rebuffed repeated calls to release footage and details about what caused the 49-year-old’s death. Troopers initially told Greene’s family he died on impact after crashing into a tree during the chase. Later, State Police released a one-page statement acknowledging only that Greene struggled with troopers and died on his way to the hospital.

emphasis obviously added by me.

may, 2019. two fucking years ago.

The 46-minute clip shows one trooper wrestling Greene to the ground, putting him in a chokehold and punching him in the face while another can be heard calling him a “stupid motherf---—.”

Greene wails “I’m sorry!” as another trooper delivers another stun gun shock to his backside and warns, “Look, you’re going to get it again if you don’t put your f---—- hands behind your back!” Another trooper can be seen briefly dragging the man facedown after his legs had been shackled and his hands cuffed behind him.

Instead of rendering aid, the troopers leave the heavyset man unattended, facedown and moaning for more than nine minutes, as they use sanitizer wipes to wash blood off their hands and faces.

“I hope this guy ain’t got f------ AIDS,” one of the troopers can be heard saying.

i'm not sure i have the words for this one. you beat him so badly that his blood got on you. that's on you, trooper. just an utter lack of humanity.

Louisiana State Police declined to comment on the contents of the video. In a statement, the agency said the “premature public release of investigative files and video evidence in this case is not authorized and ... undermines the investigative process and compromises the fair and impartial outcome.”

you've had two years to investigate your troopers beating, tasing, and keeping another black man on his stomach with people on his back. this was a classic police coverup that probably would have never come to the public's attention until police murdered george floyd in a manner somehow more humane than this one. that conviction wasn't your cue to get ahead of this barbarous display by louisiana's finest? 

jesus fucking christ.

State Police brass initially argued the troopers’ use of force was justified — “awful but lawful,” as ranking officials described it — and did not open an administrative investigation until 474 days after Greene’s death.

they have all this bodycam footage, and waited MORE THAN A FUCKING YEAR to open an investigation?

and he fucking surrendered.

Greene, a barber, failed to pull over for an unspecified traffic violation shortly after midnight on May 10, 2019, about 30 miles south of the Arkansas state line. That’s where the video obtained by AP begins, with Trooper Dakota DeMoss chasing Greene’s SUV on rural highways at over 115 mph.

Seconds before the chase ended, DeMoss warned on his radio: “We got to do something. He’s going to kill somebody.”

As DeMoss and Master Trooper Chris Hollingsworth rush Greene’s SUV, he can be seen appearing to raise his hands and saying over and over, “OK, OK. I’m sorry.”

seconds after his surrender, did the cops take him peacefully into custody? no.

Hollingsworth shocks Greene with a stun gun within seconds through the driver’s side window as both troopers demand he get out of the vehicle.

Greene exits through the passenger side as the troopers wrestle him to the ground. One trooper can be heard saying “He’s grabbing me” as they try to handcuff him. “Put your hands behind your back, bitch,” one trooper says.

Hollingsworth strikes Greene multiple times and appears to lie on one of his arms before he is finally handcuffed.

At one point, Trooper Kory York yanks Greene’s leg shackles and briefly drags the man on his stomach even though he isn’t resisting.

York was suspended without pay for 50 hours for the dragging and for improperly deactivating his body camera. York told investigators the device was beeping loudly and his “mind was on other things.”

Hollingsworth, in a separate recording obtained by AP, can be heard telling a colleague at the office that “he beat the ever-living f--- out of” Greene.

50 hours. for brutalizing someone who isn't resisting and is cuffed and shackled. 50 fucking lousy hours. just 2 days and 2 hours. 

“Choked him and everything else trying to get him under control,” Hollingsworth is heard saying. “He was spitting blood everywhere, and all of a sudden he just went limp.”

Hollingsworth later died in a single-vehicle highway crash that happened hours after he learned he would be fired for his role in the Greene case.

coward checked himself out rather than face justice.

DeMoss, meanwhile, was arrested in connection with a separate police pursuit last year in which he and two other troopers allegedly used excessive force while handcuffing a motorist.

yeah, so when you fail to hold police accountable for despicable behavior, that behavior continues. rinse, repeat.

The AP last year also obtained a medical report showing an emergency room doctor noted Greene arrived dead at the hospital, bruised and bloodied with two stun-gun prongs in his back. That led the doctor to question troopers’ initial account that Greene had “died on impact” after crashing into a tree.

“Does not add up,” the doctor wrote.

yeah, no fucking shit.

cops are liars. this isn't one or two bad apples. this was cops taking turns taking their shots on this guy. they beat and tazed him to death. and then the department covered it up. 

couple of bad apples my white ass. this is some systemic shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

41 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Holy fuck what a travesty. Side note, but every time I've crossed the state line into Louisiana, I've had to take a massive shit. I'm working with a theory that all the shit in America naturally flows to Louisiana 

When I was younger, I always felt slightly uncomfortable driving through parts of Louisiana with Texas plates.

These days, I don't think they will fuck with a family in a minivan.

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

see-he-gets-5c3535.jpg

Truly, when you read a police report....assume it's false.  It's the safe assumption.

Basically every police report I’ve ever read contains at least one false statement and usually a whole lot more. Cops should teach creative writing courses on the side. 

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

see-he-gets-5c3535.jpg

Truly, when you read a police report....assume it's false.  It's the safe assumption.

They are absolute works of fiction chocked full of words and phrases which help their conviction rate.  Very plain, very simple.  A substantial percentage (if not majority) are professional liars.  There really is not debate to be had over this, except for the rationalization games people seem to need to play in their own heads.

Edited by Cajun

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

They are absolute works of fiction chocked full of words and phrases which help their conviction rate.  Very plain, very simple.  A substantial percentage (if not majority) are professional liars.  There really is not debate to be had over this, except for the rationalization games people seem to need to play in their own heads.

It's why vest cams are the best thing to happen to policing in decades.  Also helps cops who have a false accusation.  They should be running at all times unless the cop is using the bath room.  Makes things safer for all parties. And when something bad like this does happen, you have the ability to have objective evidence.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's why vest cams are the best thing to happen to policing in decades.  Also helps cops who have a false accusation.  They should be running at all times unless the cop is using the bath room.  Makes things safer for all parties. And when something bad like this does happen, you have the ability to have objective evidence.

or alternatively: the cops hide the evidence for more than a year to allow their criminal members to hide from the law.

It's why vest cams are the best thing to happen to policing in decades.  Also helps cops who have a false accusation.  They should be running at all times unless the cop is using the bath room. 

Great. Now the cops are gonna be pissing on victims while they murder them.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

The percentage of cops who can actually define what "furtive" means can't be higher than maybe 5%.

53 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Great. Now the cops are gonna be pissing on victims while they murder them.

"We all went to take a leak, turned the cameras off, and when we came back out, we found him dead."

• Haha 1

I read a few articles on this yesterday. Insane coverup and not one fuck given. 

97f16ce76f913abf5489b04d5a47e2a1.gif

I’m shocked!!

My last bad shoot case I told the jury I would prove that the Louisiana State Highway Patrol assisted the local LE in the conspiracy and coverup of a negligent homicide.

Jury found for my family. Court denied JMOL and new trial and appellate court affirmed the verdict. The good thing with those assholes is that they are so arrogant they do not put much effort into creating plausible lies. They just go into their usual “I may be a lying cop but my story can’t be questioned when I say something” mode at trial.

Does not work as well when their shit gets examined more closely and they have to explain the obvious discrepancies. Not so much quick on their feet, but very much will double down on obvious lies to protect their fellow cops - or themselves. So thank you Baby Jesus for that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

or alternatively: the cops hide the evidence for more than a year to allow their criminal members to hide from the law.

Louisiana has a 1 year statute of limitation. If you say your baby was murdered, you better file within a year. So they withhold the reports so the family’s lawyer has no good faith/due diligence investigation reason to sue.

Fuck ‘em. I assumed they were lying even sans report and would file anyway. Rule 11 is like a Pirate Code, more of a guideline.

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Louisiana has a 1 year statute of limitation. If you say your baby was murdered, you better file within a year. So they withhold the reports so the family’s lawyer has no good faith/due diligence investigation reason to sue.

Fuck ‘em. I assumed they were lying even sans report and would file anyway. Rule 11 is like a Pirate Code, more of a guideline.

That sounded so crazy I had to go and look that shit up, and it's true. WTF? WTF Louisiana?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s basically a third world country there with good food and booze.

Oh I know, both sides of my family is from southern Louisiana, grandfather came out of the woods speaking Louisiana creole as a first language. I like the food and creole/cajun culture but I'd never live there. 

@hayden_horn  50 hours is 2 weeks of police work.  Not 2 days.

My wifes car was stolen in Houston.  Driven around for a few months while HPD did ZERO.  The car was involved in an accident, abandoned and the thief ran off.  The police showed up and had the car towed.   Barney Fife didn't bother to run the plates and didn't seem to think this was unusual at all.  He did not check the VIN.    The wrecker yard informed me about my stolen car being recovered.  I reported it to the police to update them.  The next day some other clueless cop actually calls my wife with a congratulations they recovered our car!   It was totaled.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

Oh I know, both sides of my family is from southern Louisiana, grandfather came out of the woods speaking Louisiana creole as a first language. I like the food and creole/cajun culture but I'd never live there. 

Pretty much the same but my grandfather came from Arkansas. But the Cajun food is great and I always love to visit but like you, would never live there. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

@hayden_horn  50 hours is 2 weeks of police work.  Not 2 days.

My wifes car was stolen in Houston.  Driven around for a few months while HPD did ZERO.  The car was involved in an accident, abandoned and the thief ran off.  The police showed up and had the car towed.   Barney Fife didn't bother to run the plates and didn't seem to think this was unusual at all.  He did not check the VIN.    The wrecker yard informed me about my stolen car being recovered.  I reported it to the police to update them.  The next day some other clueless cop actually calls my wife with a congratulations they recovered our car!   It was totaled.  

i only do math for a living. it's okay.  i'm an english/history major

On 5/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Holy fuck what a travesty. Side note, but every time I've crossed the state line into Louisiana, I've had to take a massive shit. I'm working with a theory that all the shit in America naturally flows to Louisiana 

If Florida is America's dick, doesn't that make the Mississippi Delta it's anus? And everything in between is the taint?

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i do math for a living, but you rightly called out my misrepresentation of the length of 50 hours. then i excused myself because I'm a liberal arts major. 

I was trying to joke about how cops only work 25 hours a week.  

On 5/22/2021 at 8:47 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Would that make Texas the butt of that joke?

Easy.

South Texas is America’s right hand (Michigan is the left) and neither can quite reach Florida to jerk it off, Cuba won’t suck it, so America as a whole becomes this dysfunctional, oddly shaped, sexually repressed character that resorts to violence.

5 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Easy.

South Texas is America’s right hand (Michigan is the left) and neither can quite reach Florida to jerk it off, Cuba won’t suck it, so America as a whole becomes this dysfunctional, oddly shaped, sexually repressed character that resorts to violence.

That’s anatomically incorrect. 

• 7 months later...

Bump

Second-in-command at State Police implicated in Ronald Greene cover-up

BATON ROUGE - Louisiana State Police's second-in-command, Lieutenant Colonel Doug Cain, is implicated in the cover-up of Ronald Greene's death in new documents obtained by the WBRZ Investigative Unit through a public records request.

It's the first time Cain's name has been associated with the cover-up, and the documents show Cain not only knew what was happening but was also doing a lot behind the scenes, including leaking internal affairs information to his old boss, Kevin Reeves, after Reeves left the agency.

Cain was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel when Kevin Reeves abruptly quit his position in October 2020 following numerous controversies exposed by WBRZ.

Watch Nakamoto's full report on WBRZ at 6:00

Greene, a black man in Monroe, was brutally beaten and died in May 2019. State troopers originally told Greene's family that he died in a crash. However, body camera footage that came to light showed the truth. 

Greene, a black man in Monroe, was brutally beaten and died in May 2019. State troopers originally told Greene's family that he died in a crash. However, body camera footage that came to light showed the truth. 

INVESTIGATOR'S CASE NOTES RELEASED IN FULL

The new documents WBRZ received include all of Trooper Albert Paxton's case notes from the Ronald Greene death investigation. A few pages of those notes were leaked to WBRZ last year, but Cain's name was not mentioned in any of them.

The notes in their entirety say Cain "blew off" the investigating trooper and made it known to others that he did not trust Paxton.

According to Paxton's notes, both he and Scott Brown wanted Chris Hollingsworth arrested a week after Greene died. That never happened. Instead, more than a year passed before the case came to light. Months later, Hollingsworth died in a single-vehicle crash hours after he was served termination papers from the agency in the fall of 2020.

Paxton spoke to Cain on Dec. 23, 2020 about his concerns. Paxton mentioned Trooper Kory York committed batteries on Greene.

"He says York has already been punished and we are not going back," Paxton noted Cain telling him.

On another occasion, during meetings with prosecutors, it was noted that Cain did not want a high-ranking trooper who hid evidence to be prosecuted and even "appeared angry" that the district attorney was considering it. It involved the highest ranking trooper on scene the night Greene was killed. Lt. John Clary's body camera footage was hidden from investigators until it was leaked out.

On May 20, 2021, Cain and others met with District Attorney John Belton.

The notes read, "Cain tells the DA Greene screamed out because a taser probe was being removed. Doug Cain defends Clary. Doug Cain does not want Clary prosecuted... Doug Cain appears angry the DA is even thinking about it."

Documents notated in investigative reports show that was not the truth. Ronald Greene was already unresponsive when taser probes were removed from Greene. That is also backed up by body camera videos and the investigation into his death.

PAXTON CALLS STATE POLICE A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION

Trooper Paxton called State Police "a criminal organization." Paxton announced his retirement from the department last week and testified at the capitol that investigators were now targeting him.

"I'm being investigated because I won't participate in the cover-up, I won't hide evidence and won't lie," Paxton told lawmakers last month.

Following the release of a few pages of the notes last year during a WBRZ interview with Trooper Carl Cavalier, Paxton said he was called to an internal affairs interview.

"They are investigating my personal notes. How did Carl Cavalier get my notes? LSP doesn't care what they detail. LSP is mad Carl has exposed a cover-up. LSP wants to know why I kept them and who I gave them to. I am protecting myself. LSP is looking to blame someone. I wouldn't badmouth Cavalier. This is when I became a target."

TLDR - the cops lied about their murdering a black man and ham-fistedly tried to cover it up. News at 11.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

PAXTON CALLS STATE POLICE A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION

Trooper Paxton called State Police "a criminal organization." Paxton announced his retirement from the department last week and testified at the capitol that investigators were now targeting him.

"I'm being investigated because I won't participate in the cover-up, I won't hide evidence and won't lie," Paxton told lawmakers last month.

Duh.