Allen West resigns as chair of Texas Republican Party

RPM

Until y'all elect a non-Republican (hell, at this point, even a half-wit Libertarian would be an improvement) I'm gonna smugly keep on bein' glad I moved.

I'm more Texan than Allen West by 1,000,000,000%, and I want nothing to do with Texas (other than the Longhorns) at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Until y'all elect a non-Republican (hell, at this point, even a half-wit Libertarian would be an improvement) I'm gonna smugly keep on bein' glad I moved.

I'm more Texan than Allen West by 1,000,000,000%, and I want nothing to do with Texas (other than the Longhorns) at the moment.

6th generation on one side, 8th on another.  Im not moving back until you lose the wing it governance. 

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Karankawas were relative latecomers to the coast of Texas themselves. Native Americans had lived along the coast for at least 4,500 years, but the Karankawas arrived in (about) 1400 AD, less than a century before Europeans discovered the new world. Many archaeologists believe the tribe originated in the Caribbean. The language, impressive physical size, and the cultural traits (particularly the antisocial behavior) of the Karankawas are strikingly similar to those of the Carib Indians, a tribe of cannibal warriors who traveled in sturdy dugout canoes and regularly raided and conquered neighboring lands.

By the way, "Karankawa" is not the name this tribe gave itself. Like most other North American Indians, they called themselves men, people, bodies etc.... Other South Texas tribes assigned various names to these newcomers. The Lipan-Apaches knew them as "people who walk in the water," and others called them "wrestlers" or "without moccasins." But the name that stuck came from two Indian words "Karan (dog)" and "kawa (to love). Since the tribe traveled with small, barkless, foxlike dogs, it became known as the dog lovers, Karankawas. Archaeologists note that this breed of dog has been discovered in only two places in the western hemisphere: among the Karankawas and among the Armwak population of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean.

i was not aware of that waynes world GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We're crushed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently there was a recent meeting in the Dallas burbs with Chad Prather speaking. He's the comedian by way of NJ-->Georgia-->Texas so of course he'll probably get the nod for folks wanting to primary Abbott. The far right in that area is okay with West being gone according to their social media. Guess he was the wrong kind of carpetbagger.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Apparently there was a recent meeting in the Dallas burbs with Chad Prather speaking. He's the comedian by way of NJ-->Georgia-->Texas so of course he'll probably get the nod for folks wanting to primary Abbott. The far right in that area is okay with West being gone according to their social media. Guess he was the wrong kind of carpetbagger.

The black kind  

Edited by Post Oak

19 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shit, I was gonna correct you and say some Comanche chief, but they weren't here much longer than the Spanish, if at all. The Texas tribes that were here in the olden days pretty much were killed by diseases before European contact, spread via other tribes through trade networks. Or are now believed to be extinct like the Karankawa. Some historians believe the Caddo were once as powerful as the Cherokee but by the time the Spanish got here they were already wrecked. 

Back to the Comanche, it's fascinating how fast they went from literal bug-eaters to the terror of the plains. They used to be the bitches of the Utes and the Shoshones up in the Rockies, and then some Spaniards left them a little string of horses, and then....

The Caddo are, as far as I know, the only Native Americans to figure out ceramic glaze. They were trying to get a piece of the white gold trade.

In ceramic technology, that is a big leap.

Texas beat both Mexico and the Comanche, as underdogs.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

My 79 yo mom's favorite candidate in the 2016 GOP primary was Ben Carson, so I guess it's plausible. She took a kind of perverse pleasure in voicing her support for him.

Last week when I was driving her around for doctors' appointments, she asked "Is your golden boy, Bay...Bayt...Baytoo, gonna run for governor?"

Don't be surprised if elderly evangelical TX GOP voters pick the craziest of the bunch, even if he happens to be (or in fact because he is) a Black man.

I always had the thought that radical Republicans tried to make themselves like Carson not because he was a good candidate (he wasn’t) but because they knew deep inside their party is pretty fucking racist so them liking or choosing “the Black republican” makes them feel better about themselves. 

(Not saying your mama is radical because she might be sane compared to those on the right today)

It’s similar to radical Republicans saying racist shit then looking to Candice Owens to see if she says something similar (which she often does) and then those same radical Republicans keep spewing racist shit because “a Black said it too, see!”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

I always had the thought that radical Republicans tried to make themselves like Carson not because he was a good candidate (he wasn’t) but because they knew deep inside their party is pretty fucking racist so them liking or choosing “the Black republican” makes them feel better about themselves. 

(Not saying your mama is radical because she might be sane compared to those on the right today)

It’s similar to radical Republicans saying racist shit then looking to Candice Owens to see if she says something similar (which she often does) and then those same radical Republicans keep spewing racist shit because “a Black said it too, see!”

Yep. A black/woman man will never go hungry so long as he/she is telling the enemy of black people what they want to hear.

Coon capitalism is flourishing.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Not sure what this means.  Texas beat the Comanche with technology, particularly the Sharpe's Rifle.

I am puffing the Battle at Plum Creek, the first defeat the Comanche suffered in a pitched battle with early Texans. Sure, their reign would inevitably end. At that moment, the Rangers who fought there were so outnumbered, it was said the greed to protect their spoils is what cost the Comanche that battle. The Rangers could fairly be described as underdogs, and lacked the game changing tech that was to come. It wasn’t firearms that proved crucial.

The Rangers adopted Comanche horseback warfare, on the spot and in that moment, and sent the Comanche out of Central Texas. The next major conflict came years later, the dynamic had changed: that’s when the inevitable part of the war began.

iI must also state the Texans who defeated both Mexico and the Comanche were a multi-racial lot. Not saying folks got along, I’m saying they got it done.

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

The Rangers adopted Comanche horseback warfare, on the spot and in that moment, and sent the Comanche out of Central Texas. The next major conflict came years later, the dynamic had changed: that’s when the inevitable part of the war began.

But didn't the Comanche get the upper hand during the Civil War, and push the frontier back eastward about 50 miles? I believe something similar happened in Minnesota at the same time with the Sioux.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

But didn't the Comanche get the upper hand during the Civil War, and push the frontier back eastward about 50 miles? I believe something similar happened in Minnesota at the same time with the Sioux.

After the Civil Warr, the Comanche were a US problem:

On 6/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Karankawas were relative latecomers to the coast of Texas themselves. Native Americans had lived along the coast for at least 4,500 years, but the Karankawas arrived in (about) 1400 AD, less than a century before Europeans discovered the new world. Many archaeologists believe the tribe originated in the Caribbean. The language, impressive physical size, and the cultural traits (particularly the antisocial behavior) of the Karankawas are strikingly similar to those of the Carib Indians, a tribe of cannibal warriors who traveled in sturdy dugout canoes and regularly raided and conquered neighboring lands.

By the way, "Karankawa" is not the name this tribe gave itself. Like most other North American Indians, they called themselves men, people, bodies etc.... Other South Texas tribes assigned various names to these newcomers. The Lipan-Apaches knew them as "people who walk in the water," and others called them "wrestlers" or "without moccasins." But the name that stuck came from two Indian words "Karan (dog)" and "kawa (to love). Since the tribe traveled with small, barkless, foxlike dogs, it became known as the dog lovers, Karankawas. Archaeologists note that this breed of dog has been discovered in only two places in the western hemisphere: among the Karankawas and among the Armwak population of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean.

Pssh, you made all that up.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The frontier definitely moved East as the US army abandoned all of its forts defending various Texas settlements at the beginning of the Civil War.

• 1 month later...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/07/allen-west-texas-gop/

With only days before he steps down from the helm of the state GOP, West is embroiled in a fight with his vice chair and under attack by county GOP chairs.

Allen West’s final days as Texas GOP chairman are ending with an explosion of the kind of intraparty drama he has become known for throughout his tenure.

On Wednesday, long-simmering tensions between West and the party’s vice chair, Cat Parks, boiled over as he called her a “cancer” and “delusional and apparently deranged” amid a dispute over a party committee project. Parks is a cancer survivor.

A day earlier, a group of county party chairs called for West’s immediate removal as state party leader, alleging an “outrageous conflict of interest” given that he is now running for governor. West announced last month that he was stepping down as Texas GOP chair, but it is not effective until Sunday, when the State Republican Executive Committee is set to elect his successor.

He unloaded on her in an email early Wednesday morning, charging her with long using her position to advance herself. Parks shot back at West, accusing him of hypocrisy.

“Allen,... if anyone has used their position at the Republican Party of Texas in an attempt to advance themselves,... it has not been me,” Parks concluded, punctuating the sentence with a laughing-face emoji.

West has held the job for just under a year, and it has been a run filled with regular bouts of intraparty drama. He has been a leading GOP critic of Gov. Greg Abbott’s coronavirus response, even protesting outside the Governor’s Mansion last fall. He called House Speaker Dade Phelan, R-Beaumont, a “political traitor” for courting Democrats in his bid for the gavel late last year. And during the regular legislative session earlier this year, he sharply questioned Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s commitment to a long-sought bill allowing permitless carry of handguns, which ultimately became law.

As a carpet bagger, attacking the Governor, Republican House Speaker, and Lt. Governor.  Calling an actual cancer survivor a "cancer"....

bold GIF

In an email Monday night, Parks asked West to get involved. His response took aim at far more than just Parks' problems with the scorecard.

“This entire year you have done nothing but seek to advance yourself and never raised any funds for the Republican Party of Texas,” West said. “It is obvious your goal is to protect the failures of certain Republican legislators.”

“You Ma’am are a cancer, do not EVER email me again,” West said, adding that Parks does "nothing but create chaos and confusion.”

Cat Parks has far more support among the Republican BMDs and Republican leadership than West does.  Last year, she received the award for being the volunteer who contributed the most to the Texas Republican Party, presented by Dickey, Patrick, and Abbott.

On Twitter, former House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, R-Angleton, called West’s email to Parks “nothing but a tirade of misogyny & disrespect by a man pitifully floundering to be right when he is so blatantly wrong.”

It is not the only controversy that West is facing in his final days as Texas GOP leader. A group of county party chairs is objecting to West still serving as state party leader while running for governor, and in a letter Tuesday, they asked the SREC to immediately remove him.

“It is an undeniable fact that a sitting State Party Chair cannot also be seeking a statewide office without the unacceptable comingling of time, resources, contacts, communications, and other things of value,” the letter said. “It is an outrageous conflict of interest and it cannot continue one minute longer.”

The letter was signed by 18 county party chairs, including the GOP leaders in some of the state’s biggest counties, such as Travis, Williamson and Nueces. Texas has 254 counties.  On Wednesday, eight members of the SREC — which has 64 members total, including West — called for his immediate resignation.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Just another LARPing group.

Not necessarily. There are several Templar organizations (the original became defunct around 1300 A.D.) They don't get along because one of them is very far right fascist supporting and on watch lists. So, it is LARPing but perhaps not of the harmless hobby variety.