New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

FKB, but I love the quote from CDC.

I like how he specifically listed each day of the week, Forrest Gump style, and I picture Aggies counting each one out on their fingers then having the moment of realization when they got to 7.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, TexEx15 said:
23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why is Ole Miss a shark?

I imagine a klansman got vetoed? I think it’s because of the “Land Shark Defense” thing they try to pull off.

Ole Miss has been struggling with how to replace/revive their mascots for 20 years now. They used to lean into it before, flying confederate battle flags and everything at the game.

I think a big part of the problem is that a large enough people were happy to just vote Colonel Reb back in. The students voted to rename him to Mr. Ole Miss at some point I guess to soften his history.

Eventually a committee picked the Black Bear -- based on the bear that Roosevelt refused to shoot while hunting in Mississippi -- but wasn't very popular and it was replaced by the Land Shark a few years later.

At least it's not a tiger.

Edited by gatormarc

12 hours ago, Hondo said:

I like how he specifically listed each day of the week, Forrest Gump style, and I picture Aggies counting each one out on their fingers then having the moment of realization when they got to 7.

You are assuming they had all ten fingers available.

img_4582.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Ole Miss has been struggling with how to replace/revive their mascots for 20 years now. They used to lean into it before, flying confederate battle flags and everything at the game.

I think a big part of the problem is that a large enough people were happy to just vote Colonel Reb back in. The students voted to rename him to Mr. Ole Miss at some point I guess to soften his history.

Eventually a committee picked the Black Bear -- based on the bear that Roosevelt refused to shoot while hunting in Mississippi -- but wasn't very popular and it was replaced by the Land Shark a few years later.

If I recall, there was a legit chance they were going to choose Admiral Ackbar.  That would have been so awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think we’ll play aggy on Black Friday in primetime. I’m sure the Iron Bowl will hold on to Saturday night. 

I hope ESPN doesn’t press the issue. The NFL owns Thanksgiving. They’d get a good number on the first game, but it would taper off after that. 

The NFL is adding black Friday this year so they'll have that as well. Make it Thanksgiving night again. The NFL took over on Thanksgiving night because there wasn't a primetime CFB that night the last decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The NFL is adding black Friday this year so they'll have that as well. Make it Thanksgiving night again. The NFL took over on Thanksgiving night because there wasn't a primetime CFB that night the last decade. 

Isn't the Thanksgiving night game on the NFL network or NBC?

So, let the great unwashed, which comprises much of the NFL fandom (love the NFL goon thread), watch whatever game that night and have ESPN roll out Texas - aggy Thanksgiving night.

Two completely different audiences.

We get back some tradition. aggy gets one of their 1,500,000,000 turditions back. 

We get a few extra days of rest before we play in the SECSECSEC championship game.

What's not to like?

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Isn't the Thanksgiving night game on the NFL network or NBC?

So, let the great unwashed, which comprises much of the NFL fandom (love the NFL goon thread), watch whatever game that night and have ESPN roll out Texas - aggy Thanksgiving night.

Two completely different audiences.

We get back some tradition. aggy gets one of their 1,500,000,000 turditions back. 

We get a few extra days of rest before we play in the SECSECSEC championship game.

What's not to like?

This is how I feel about it. Let them carry Titans/Raiders on NFL network and let’s beat aggy ass on ESPN. 

Edit: Ok, only downside is that on years when we play here, I’ll feel obligated to go. And I’ll be drunk and tired and full of turkey and generally happy/miserable and ready to watch any sport on tv, maybe even break the seal on Christmas movies. Rethinking this. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Should have gone with a Cane Corso, walk him over to rev for a sniff.

21 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I believe the Egg Bowl has been on ESPN every Thanksgiving night since aggy left.

But yea, who gives a shit about this game outside of Mississippi. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe the Egg Bowl has been on ESPN every Thanksgiving night since aggy left.

But yea, who gives a shit about this game outside of Mississippi. 

a Black Friday 2:30pm or prime time kickoff will be ideal for UT vs aggy

IMO

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

a Black Friday 2:30pm or prime time kickoff will be ideal for UT vs aggy

IMO

I really don't mind it on Thanksgiving. I actually loved it being on Thanksgiving. It gave me a Curb Your Enthusiasm weapons-grade excuse to leave Thanksgiving dinner early. 

They just need to get around the NFL problem. Marketing, begging Goodell to put the Jags vs Bengals in primetime, there's a path. 

Just make it at night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Updated from last weeks post. 

South Carolina partners seem to be the hardest to matchup 

I think they'll get Georgia since they share a border, Florida, and Kentucky. Gives Georgia and Florida more balance since each will get a tougher main rival in Auburn/LSU and each other. Kentucky could be a good option but Tennessee is technically closer. Still they have to give South Carolina at least one school they have a shot against each year. 

Edited by mdmost

On 6/14/2023 at 1:24 PM, Hondo said:

Whatever the SEC does, several things can be certain:

-Alabama will dodge the tough teams when they're really good or, at a minimum, get them at home.

-Georgia will get a bunch of cupcakes every year.

-Whatever years Texas has its best roster, it'll get Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State (OOC), Michigan, etc. - all on the road.

xD

Yeah…that last part ain’t gonna happen. I’m pretty confident we won’t be getting more favorable treatment than Bama or Georgia in the foreseeable future, but there’s absolutely zero incentive for them to bring in the most profitable program in the country and then try to tank us. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From IT:

Spoiler

Nothing matters more than the 2023 season and the 3-0 Texas Longhorns readying to travel to Waco to play the Baylor Bears. After that game Texas has visiting Kansas, a dangerous offensive team, and then travels to Dallas for the annual rivalry game against Oklahoma. So there’s plenty to concern ourselves with in the present.

As for the future, Texas’ inaugural 2024 SEC season is already scheduled. But that schedule is a placeholder, a one-off designed to buy the schedulers and politicians in the SEC time to figure out a more permanent arrangement. 

Nine game conference schedule 

We are not reporting this as fact but we’ve heard it credibly the SEC will revert to a nine game conference schedule in 2025. Currently the SEC employs an eight game slate that typically features four pushovers in non-conference. SEC scheduling has largely helped to build the mystique of the conference once you get past Alabama, Georgia, LSU and sometimes Florida. That fourth non-conference game equates to a whole lot of conference wins rather than the 50/50 win-loss split you see in other conferences. 

The extra conference game is something Texas power brokers have supported as a way to improve gates and concessions as well as the overall product and fan experience. As you know, the current UT leadership wants all the challenges, best represented by the move to the SEC in the first place. Why switch conferences to play an extra directional school each year?

The NCAA moving to a 12-team playoff has made this schedule more palatable to conference decision-makers.

Pod of Rivals

We aren’t reporting this as fact, either, but we’re also hearing the 16 member universities will be broken into four pods. The best guess on Texas’ pod includes Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. That would be a Pod of Rivals if there ever was one.

RRS game time

Speaking of OU, we’ve heard that game will permanently move to a 2:30 p.m. time slot. We expect it to be held at 11:00 a.m. this year but going forward you’ll likely have the chance to drink much more wax beer and eat much more fried foods at the State Fair. Pace yourselves accordingly.

Natural grass

A final note, the topic of a natural playing surface returning to DKR is often brought up, especially after the scorching conditions on the field turf against Rice and Alabama. Grass will make its return but that’s probably still a few seasons away. We weren’t given a reason for that but we’re sure there’s a good one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

When we return to grass, we should also do some extra iconic landscaping around the field like they do in the SEC. But instead of hedges, I was thinking cactus? You don’t go into Austin, TX and get a win between the cacti, etc. 

Or maybe instead of grass, we should zero scape the field? Creative juices are flowing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 2

6 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

When we return to grass, we should also do some extra iconic landscaping around the field like they do in the SEC. But instead of hedges, I was thinking cactus? You don’t go into Austin, TX and get a win between the cacti, etc. 

Or maybe instead of grass, we should zero scape the field? Creative juices are flowing. 

"...and in the back of the end zone there's Xavier Worthy, diving for the ball...he caught it!  Oh but Bob it looks like he landed in the prickly pear patch (sponsored by Deep Eddy) again...yeah he's probably done for the day.  Another receiver falls victim to the cacti."  We'd make so many great memories :D 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Our perm opponents were always going to be those three so that wouldn’t really change much from a Texas perspective. Interesting choice for other schools though. Mizzou seemed a natural opponent for Arkansas and Oklahoma for example, they’d be a hella awkward pod member with whoever else. No worse then the SEC east I guess.

OU locked in at 2:30 would be very nice.

16 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Buncha goddamn stickers and mesquite trees, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only issue with pods and I guess I'd have to revisit if there was a resolution is how you keep regionality in pods but protect dedicated rivalries like Auburn/Georgia and Tennessee/Bama every year. Those aren't going away and I doubt they'll pair those schools in the same pod. You can't separate Auburn/Bama into different pods. So is it 3 games in your pod + 1 historic rival + 3 from one pod  + 2 from another to get to 9 conference games?

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only issue with pods and I guess I'd have to revisit if there was a resolution is how you keep regionality in pods but protect dedicated rivalries like Auburn/Georgia and Tennessee/Bama every year. Those aren't going away and I doubt they'll pair those schools in the same pod. You can't separate Auburn/Bama into different pods. So is it 3 games in your pod + 1 historic rival + 3 from one pod  + 2 from another to get to 9 conference games?

I don't get why people still want pods. There's no advantage over a simple 3-6-6 schedule.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1