Fentanyl laced Oxy, Valium, and Xanax

crash_davis

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

You seem to think that by making percocet and xanax widely available (two medications that we are increaingly discovering aren't particularly useful for anything in a therapeutic sense) . 

I can't believe a Texas fan thinks Xanax is not particularly useful in a therapeutic sense.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I can't believe a Texas fan thinks Xanax is not particularly useful in a therapeutic sense.

Oh - don't get it twisted. Xanax is awesome. It just isn't good for managing GAD/chronic anxiety (which is what it used to get widely prescribed for). Benzos should pretty much be reserved for emergency situations or for treating withdrawals. 

Just like percocet - which should really only be used when all other pain management options have been exhausted.

That said - neither should be criminalized to the degree they are currently.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:53 AM, ztejas said:

You seem to think that by making percocet and xanax widely available (two medications that we are increaingly discovering aren't particularly useful for anything in a therapeutic sense) it will somehow cut down on fentanyl ODs.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, ztejas said:

Oh - don't get it twisted. Xanax is awesome. It just isn't good for managing GAD/chronic anxiety (which is what it used to get widely prescribed for).

Just a question - have you been checked for MPD, or do you just not care if your argument contradicts itself like 5 posts later?

I didn't mention general anxiety disorder. In fact my example, if I recall correctly, was pretty much the opposite. Besides being inherently contradictory your argument is absolutely inane.

First, let's just note the obvious because you failed to mention it. Xanax is prescribed for multiple reasons other than GAD. I'm not going to argue with you about an SSRI being more effective than xanax for GAD. Perhaps for some people that's the case. But SSRIs have serious shortcomings. But again that's limited to GAD, something which I didn't even mention.

The US' corporate medicine scheme -- doctors' insurance carriers, their practices' large corporate ownership, state intrusion on the doctor-pateint relationship-- is rapidly removing the option to prescribe drugs similar to and stronger than xanax from the hands of physicians. And it's all because of the bad apples who schemed their way into into fortunes mainly due to oxy.

What we're left with is - sure you can still get prescribed xanax legally here if you happen to go to a doctor who's not corporately compromised. But it'll probably be quite time consuming and very expensive. Or you can go to a country like MX or DR and roll the dice. So you can laugh at me just like your (figuratively speaking of course) parents laughed at you when you said it's idiotic that cannabis is illegal. But college kids or others who are looking for some quick relief are going to take shortcuts and are more likely to buy what's been sourced from countries such as MX or DR. From what I've heard, they're taking a 50/50 chance that shit's not laced with fent.

Realize though, before you get your panties in a bundle again and one of your personalities responds to me, I'm not even talking about a regular, ongoing Rx for any medication. I'm talking about just a limited supply for a short duration. It's far easier to smuggle some pills across the border than it is weed, and there's probably no incentive for anyone to bring weed across anyway. If you think the drug trade is going to get shut down sometime soon, I'll point out it's been going on for 45 years or more, despite becoming more and more militarized along the way. We've lost every step of the way. Admit defeat. Focus on intervention and treatment. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, TexLonghorn said:

You're not worth it, Chopper, and anyone who hasn't put you on ignore already knows that your argument here is ridiculous.  I was snide to you because your viewpoint is shit.  

I have no idea who you are but your obsession with me is noted. I'll continue not knowing who you are, nor caring, for another 50 years. And just to be clear any of you who think we're going to win a "war on drugs" we've gotten whipped at every step of the way over near 50 years is incredibly naive at best. Keep parroting the tough on drugs talk you hear from the politicians and voting for their endless dumbfuckery, ya fucking morons.

Edited by Chopper

Chop, a few days ago you necro-negged me for that post and then necro-quoted it just now.  Dude, that post was over a month ago.  Let it go.  I'm only posting this reply out of courtesy for your pathological scream for attention, as you popped up yet again as a notification for me while I was on the Movies & TV board - stop trying to make you and I happen.  Surely you noticed that I didn't even care enough to neg you back a few days ago. Please find some medication to steal from someone's medicine cabinet for yourself.  As a general approach, that thought was utterly stupid, but for you specifically, I can understand the necessity.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, ztejas said:

You seem to think that by making percocet and xanax widely available (two medications that we are increaingly discovering aren't particularly useful for anything in a therapeutic sense) it will somehow cut down on fentanyl ODs. The cat is already out of the bag with fentanyl. Reverting to giving out benzo and opiate/oid prescriptions like candy would just dump gasoline on the fire. 

This does draw an interesting paradox or something about drug legalization for "street drugs" that aren't usually prescribed and the whole Rx regime for addictive and non-addictive drugs.

Does legalization mean dispensing with prescriptions altogether for narcotics and addictive drugs that do have a therapeutic purpose?

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/man-who-sold-oxycodone-laced-with-fentanyl-sentenced-to-20-years/269-05202a2a-892d-4f92-8bec-8eca11ac7e64

AUSTIN, Texas — A Cedar Park man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after selling fentanyl-laced oxycodone, which lead to the death of a man in December 2020.

Jean Claude Meama-Kajue, 29, sold counterfeit oxycodone containing fentanyl to a man on December 13, 2020, resulting in his death. 

After ingesting the drug, the victim was found by first responders unresponsive in his vehicle later on the night of December 13. The initial indictment claimed that Meama-Kajue distributed a controlled substance containing fentanyl on four separate occasions in Austin in 2021, as well.

dickhead went to McNeil HS and ran track for TX State

https://txst.com/sports/mens-track-and-field/roster/jean-claude-meama/3779

Meama.jpg?width=300

• 1 month later...

Just a PSA - smoke shop down the street from me sells test kits for $4/pop that have 3 uses each in them. 

Yes the fent crisis is fucked up but I gurantee your life is worth $1.33. 

Anyone not testing their drugs nowadays doesn't care about living or dying. It's that simple. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 5:23 AM, ztejas said:

Just a PSA - smoke shop down the street from me sells test kits for $4/pop that have 3 uses each in them. 

Anyone not testing their drugs nowadays doesn't care about living or dying. It's that simple. 

I it isn't callous or judgemental to say that if you're concerned enough to test your mj/xanax/etc. for fent, you should just throw them away.  One false negative and you're dead.

15 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I it isn't callous or judgemental to say that if you're concerned enough to test your mj/xanax/etc. for fent, you should just throw them away.  One false negative and you're dead.

Ah yes, the "just don't do drugs" advice. Brilliant.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ah yes, the "just don't do drugs" advice. Brilliant.

Yeah, funny how the Fentanyl situation became dire when it wasn't inner-city crackheads ingesting it.  

I know it annoys some regular posters.  But it boggles my mind how people don't put two and two together.  It is U.S. Law Enforcement that moves fentanyl around the country.  And we make sure the folks that bring it across the border are given adequate amount of firearms.  But y'all keep up with your cute understanding of how drugs and guns work.  Fucking adorable

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/1/2023 at 5:23 AM, ztejas said:

Good post.

Everyone I know is testing these days. My friends in Miami test everything, every single time. It's just table stakes at this point for the discerning user and maybe it's more common and routine in certain cities (like Miami and Denver are two I am aware of it where my buddies tell of it).

That said, responsible drug use is an oxymoron to most people, but between the advancements in understanding drugs like hallucinogens and MDMA and of course cannabis, culture is changing.

Lots of recreation and therapeutic responsible users. We need a surly thread like the old school erowid website.

Edited by BeardIP

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Can you imagine if we tried something that progressive here?

Oregon tried. Not sure it is going that well.

With Oregon facing rampant public drug use, lawmakers backpedal on pioneering decriminalization law

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Democratic lawmakers in Oregon on Tuesday unveiled a sweeping new bill that would undo a key part of the state’s first-in-the-nation drug decriminalization law, a recognition that public opinion has soured on the measure amid rampant public drug use during the fentanyl crisis.

The bill would recriminalize the possession of small amounts of drugs as a low-level misdemeanor, enabling police to confiscate them and crack down on their use on sidewalks and in parks, its authors said. It also aims to make it easier to prosecute dealers, to access addiction treatment medication, and to obtain and keep housing without facing discrimination for using that medication.

“It’s the compromise path, but also the best policy that we can come up with to make sure that we are continuing to keep communities safe and save lives,” state Sen. Kate Lieber, a Portland Democrat, told The Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-drug-decriminalization-law-3f851183d45e9c29609360b09e996d04

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Oregon tried. Not sure it is going that well.

With Oregon facing rampant public drug use, lawmakers backpedal on pioneering decriminalization law

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Democratic lawmakers in Oregon on Tuesday unveiled a sweeping new bill that would undo a key part of the state’s first-in-the-nation drug decriminalization law, a recognition that public opinion has soured on the measure amid rampant public drug use during the fentanyl crisis.

The bill would recriminalize the possession of small amounts of drugs as a low-level misdemeanor, enabling police to confiscate them and crack down on their use on sidewalks and in parks, its authors said. It also aims to make it easier to prosecute dealers, to access addiction treatment medication, and to obtain and keep housing without facing discrimination for using that medication.

“It’s the compromise path, but also the best policy that we can come up with to make sure that we are continuing to keep communities safe and save lives,” state Sen. Kate Lieber, a Portland Democrat, told The Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-drug-decriminalization-law-3f851183d45e9c29609360b09e996d04

I am not sure that Oregon's "failure" is factual. 

Decriminalization is never going to eliminate addicts and users. If any remain, fentanyl and more conventional ODs will remain a problem and fent will accelerate them. 

That seems like more of a pander to an Ill-informed and likely misinformed public that is constantly pissing down its leg about alleged crime 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Can you imagine if we tried something that progressive here?

Yes we in the USA are known for our self control….   So legal or non prosecuted drugs should work great….  See SF and Oregon as examples maybe of how great that’s going.

Edited by Hook1997

Decriminalizing doesn’t solve the drug problem in the USA because, even as the richest country in the world, we will never have the systems in place like other countries to help people with drug addiction. 

Portugal focused scarce public dollars on health care, drug treatment, job training and housing. The system, integrated into the country's taxpayer-funded national health care system, is free and relatively easy to navigate

It’s also very American (dumb) to say decriminalization doesn’t work and repeal rather than try to figure out why it’s not working. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Decriminalizing doesn’t solve the drug problem in the USA because, even as the richest country in the world, we will never have the systems in place like other countries to help people with drug addiction. 

It’s also very American (dumb) to say decriminalization doesn’t work and repeal rather than try to figure out why it’s not working. 

Yup, especially the latter. I suspect this is a big flinch by Oregon liberals. 

ETA that said, from what I can tell the rest of the world is more like the US in lacking mental health infrastructure. But I think some, like Portugal, are more willing to indulge harm reduction and the specific mental health treatment that is addiction recovery (I consider this actually probably easier to deal with than florid mental illness like schizophrenia). 

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 hours ago, Chopper said:

Not political but just factual that America is very un-United with the 50 states having 50 different approaches and methods to deal with drug problems. I’m sure that while Portugal has challenges that we don’t face, they also only have a 10m population. I imagine that everything feels somewhat local and people are usually more apt to help neighbors, friends and family. 

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not political but just factual that America is very un-United with the 50 states having 50 different approaches and methods to deal with drug problems. I’m sure that while Portugal has challenges that we don’t face, they also only have a 10m population. I imagine that everything feels somewhat local and people are usually more apt to help neighbors, friends and family. 

I do think the US is somehow unduly toxic in a way that feeds people's desire to escape, thus partially accounting for our unholy demand for drugs. 

I also think similar factors make it harder to enact a supportive rather than punitive model for dealing with drugs and their fallout. Puritans, as 956 would say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I do think the US is somehow unduly toxic in a way that feeds people's desire to escape, thus partially accounting for our unholy demand for drugs. 

I also think similar factors make it harder to enact a supportive rather than punitive model for dealing with drugs and their fallout. Puritans, as 956 would say. 

Punishment is reactionary and requires little brain power.   Thus we employ it despite evidence of where it goes wrong and how it doesn't lead to desired outcomes relative to other methods.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-citizen-arrested-crossing-border-back-america-mexico/story?id=107709358

A U.S. citizen has been arrested attempting to cross back into the United States from Mexico after authorities found an estimated $130,000 of fentanyl hidden in the taxi they were riding in, according to officials.

The incident occurred at approximately 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday when a ride-share taxi driver who was carrying four passengers attempted to cross into the United States with the passengers and entered the inspection area of the U.S. Border Patrol immigration checkpoint on Highway 86 in Southern California, according to a statement released by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) on Thursday.

“The agent in the primary inspection area referred the vehicle for further investigation,” said the statement released by CBP. “In the secondary area a K-9 team trained to detect concealed humans and narcotics asked for consent to search the vehicle from the driver and was granted permission. The K-9 alerted to the trunk area of the vehicle. The trunk was opened, and agents found several bags inside. The K-9 alerted to a backpack and a speaker that belonged to an individual who claimed them as his property.”

Authorities began to search the speaker and the backpack which resulted in the discovery of several wrapped packages consistent with wrapping commonly used to transport illegal narcotics. A sample was taken from one of the packages and subsequently tested positive for the presence of fentanyl.

The total weight of the fentanyl weighed in just under 10 pounds with an estimated street value of $130,000, according to CBP.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so obviously people are doing fentanyl. lots of it. who are the people who are the repeat customers? 

I'll let you know. I just got the business started.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so obviously people are doing fentanyl. lots of it. who are the people who are the repeat customers? 

It's in a lot of shit. People aren't just taking fentanyl. A lot don't even know they're taking it.

It's been going on for years. Cousin is a Fire Dept Bat Chief and was been telling me about ODs on fentanyl over 10 years ago... One someone dies, the other addicts think, "that must have been some good shit..." And they find it...  Random dose of fent in heroin...

16 minutes ago, Slacks said:

It's in a lot of shit. People aren't just taking fentanyl. A lot don't even know they're taking it.

It's been going on for years. Cousin is a Fire Dept Bat Chief and was been telling me about ODs on fentanyl over 10 years ago... One someone dies, the other addicts think, "that must have been some good shit..." And they find it...  Random dose of fent in heroin...

but it makes no sense to cut your shit with poison. it has a value or else it wouldn't be coming. what is its value? it cannot be simply a diluting agent. that makes no sense

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but it makes no sense to cut your shit with poison. it has a value or else it wouldn't be coming. what is its value? it cannot be simply a diluting agent. that makes no sense

I think opiates have a faster and stronger addiction potential than most other street drugs,fentanyl in particular.

They will kill quite a few but also generate repeat customers. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think opiates have a faster and stronger addiction potential than most other street drugs,fentanyl in particular.

They will kill quite a few but also generate repeat customers. 

that's where the messaging of central fent kills breaks down though. 

omigod they are going to give it to our kids in Halloween candy is a bunch of pearl clutching nonsense but that seems to be where we are. 

who is buying this. why?  how much is it?  how can we tell it from a xanbar?

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

The value is it’s cheap and valuable. Take a walk down the skid row of any major city and you’ll see the repeat customers. 

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah I think the idea is someone buys say xanax from a lacing dealer. If he doesn't die or think it's too heavy, that dealer is about to have a long term customer. 

At this point there’s no pretense, people straight up buy fentanyl.