Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

18 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Nah, his teams are usually tough, smart, and play hard. Aggy could do a lot worse. 

Not a culture that appears to appeal to the kind of elite athletes who chose to go to and stay at A&M. Permissive coaches and bags o' cash are the big draw to go there. 

Impose discipline and here's what the portal looks like in beautiful, beloved College Station:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I have strong doubts they're getting rid of Jimbo this year. I think there's 0 chance if he goes at least 7-5, which is possible given that that conference sucks ass. 

After yesterday I think they are likely to go 8-4, and 9-3 is a real possibility. Tennessee has taken a big step back from last year, and Alabama isn’t built to take advantage of ATM’s issues in the secondary. They will compare it to last year and claim progress, and Jimbo will get another year minimum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think the saving grace for Aggy is going to be Weigman. I think he’s the real deal and will keep them in most games, despite the offensive line.

Who on their schedule looks like a problem right now? Maybe LSU? 

I hope bama makes weigman an offer he can’t refuse in the offseason. But he’s all aggy, isn’t he?

• Drool 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think the saving grace for Aggy is going to be Weigman. I think he’s the real deal and will keep them in most games, despite the offensive line.

Ole Miss has the tools to rip that defense to shreds

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

After yesterday I think they are likely to go 8-4, and 9-3 is a real possibility. Tennessee has taken a big step back from last year, and Alabama isn’t built to take advantage of ATM’s issues in the secondary. They will compare it to last year and claim progress, and Jimbo will get another year minimum. 

This will be a lot like 2020. The SEC is fucking awful this season. They have 2 losses for sure on their schedule in Ole Miss and LSU. Tennessee is not the same, this is Sam Pittman's final ride, the pirate is swinging his sword in heaven, apparently South Carolina can only kick a team's ass for a half, and Saban is following the Mack Brown late career playbook.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

What evidence is there at all that A&M has sure victories against anyone in their conference? Weigman is good and they have excellent receivers. Okay. True

The world keeps repeating that they are the 4th most talented team in the country. Based on what? Can you really be so talented and have such a miserable losing streak against D1 teams that, by the same metric, are comparative pygmies? It's an idiotic statement to keep repeating. Discussion of talent level should not revolve around some abstract notion.

It does not take a world class offense to exploit their secondary. Their five-star DL has not established itself as any more than ordinary in the pass rush. They will be in danger from ordinary passing attacks.

Olin the Dull pointed to their run defense being a bright spot. Is it not natural that a team who is easily exploited in one phase will have better stats in another? A&M is not easy to run on, but we've seen teams do it. Why run for 3 yards in one play when you can pass for 8 in two attempts?

They quit. Not Weigman and the skill positions on O, but the rest do. They show inconsistent intensity. The fact that the Aggies are so terrible on the road could suggest that their players actually need a favorable atmosphere to expend the effort necessary to beat a D1 team. Last year, that often wasn't enough.

Their culture is rotten and their coach would be gone except for his often-discussed contract. Inspiring!

Every conference game they play is a toss-up at best.  Alabama playing murderball will be a problem if their secondary doesn't buck up and support the line. I haven't seen LSU. I expect Heupel is familiar enough with a passing attack to be quite prepared.

The Aggies may turn it around and start getting maximum effort, team cohesion, and displays of their alleged overall talent level, but I don't see why that will happen. Will they have someone who was a seeming mercenary like X. Worthy talking team? Do they have any chemistry at all?

No, my friends, I don't see the Aggies healing themselves and becoming a team with a sense of great things.

I don’t see “great things” for them, just 8-4 and possibly 9-3 with some luck. The SEC is just that bad right now. But I’ll certainly be here with you to enjoy the fun if you’re right and they go 5-7 again. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought 6-6 for sure after the Miami loss, but the SEC is so bad I could see 8-4. 

Give me Ole Miss at this season’s fool’s gold game. They’ll win like 45-42 and Looch will proclaim they’re headed in the right direction. 

Nope.  They beat Tulane who would boat race aggy.  Even with Tulane playing their backup QB.  Kiffin will put up 50+ on Jimbo and Durkin.  He won't call the dogs off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Going forward Leipold and Prime have changed the head coach searching rules, you need to bring a talent infusion along with you or you are just self sabotaging. You get one great recruiting class after a hire (that ignores results), after that it is all based on results (even NIL is influenced by results since donors have to shell out in the first place).

Aggies are extremely stupid though, their decade's long HC fantasies have been NFL guys (Kubiak and Gruden) so they settled for the closest thing they could get Jimbo. No talent infusion, no competent staffs, they are doomed to make the same mistakes going forward.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:46 PM, closetojumping said:

I’ve never quite figured out whether or not Liucci is more of an asset or a hindrance to that program. On the one hand, he functions as an extension of the AD and helps recruit players with impunity and was a big part of their bagman program. 

On the other hand, he’s always going to function as a buffer between the fans and the AD, obfuscating and exaggerating feedback and issues, never fully allowing anyone to really understand where anything stands until it is too late. 

I wouldn’t want somebody like that around Texas. I also don’t like true parasites like Ketchum and Chip Brown hanging around either. At least Texas has extensions actually helping them identify talent and issues with some transparency and honesty though. 

oh man, without a doubt i think he is a huge asset to the A&M program.

if 9.95ers FCB and Geoff "Ham Guy" Ketchum were out there 1) not shitting on the program and 2) recruiting/being bag men while 3) never really doing anything to hurt the program i think that has tremendous value. add in that they are a place to speak directly to the schools fans, without having to report up to a bigger network like 247/on3/rivals and that basically everyone involved with TexAgs is in on the grift and you have a situation where there is only upside potential for the A&M Athletic Dept.

as to if it's good or bad? well TexAgs was founded in 98 and over the last 25 years they haven't done shit. literally, the only conference title they have ever won during that timeframe was year 1 of the site. so if your goal is to keep the proletariat happy, they have done a fantastic job of generally doing that and tamping down folks getting worked up. then again, it's amazing the rubes who believe any of the shit that Looch says considering he is as shocked as anyone when their season falls apart.

all this to say that i agree with you on not wanting anyone like that program wise around the Texas football program.

i take a ton of satisfaction in the knowledge that Looch knows he is in on it, knows his value isn't the work he does or the analysis he provides or the value he provides to his subs but instead is that he is basically the guy who exists to parrots the Athletic Dept's talking points and keep folks from getting TOO fired up about things whenever possible by deleting threads or banning folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

OFEI rank through week 2, so this doesn't include saturday's games.

image.png.26c9b13347c79f94e765ffcba436402a.png

they play a lot of good to pretty good offenses.

Defense wise Auburn is #11 in DFEI, Alabama is #8, Tenn is #23, Miss St is #16 and LSU is #19

if they come out of the Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Tenn stretch at 2-2 they are in ok shape. if they come out of that at 1-3 they are in trouble.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

OFEI rank through week 2, so this doesn't include saturday's games.

image.png.26c9b13347c79f94e765ffcba436402a.png

they play a lot of good to pretty good offenses.

Defense wise Auburn is #11 in DFEI, Alabama is #8, Tenn is #23, Miss St is #16 and LSU is #19

if they come out of the Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Tenn stretch at 2-2 they are in ok shape. if they come out of that at 1-3 they are in trouble.

Having watched a little bit of Arky and Miss State this past weekend, it should be a fireable offense to lose to either of those teams. I have no clue on Auburn, but SCar and Tenn are at least somewhat competent. Ole Miss and LSU will most likely be losses, and Bama should be if they can get Milroe playing to a high school level on reading defenses. 2-3 losses through the rest of the season seems like a safe bet.

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Having watched a little bit of Arky and Miss State this past weekend, it should be a fireable offense to lose to either of those teams. I have no clue on Auburn, but SCar and Tenn are at least somewhat competent. Ole Miss and LSU will most likely be losses, and Bama should be if they can get Milroe playing to a high school level on reading defenses. 2-3 losses through the rest of the season seems like a safe bet.

The Texas 8-4 moniker lives on, which is my preference.  While I'm not certain that even 6-7 wins this year creates the sort of urgency needed to raise about $80M to cut bait and hire someone new, I'd rather not chance A&M playing the new hire lottery and ending up with a competent coach and staff. I'd like to see their recruiting classes lose some steam beforehand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I'm not sure where you saw that Tenn looked competent. They lost to a terrible Florida team. As for Milroe, he's perectly fine, but it looks like Rees is going to insist on his mediocre ND QB play and they aren't even going to try and develop a zone read game with Milroe. And if that's the case, 'Bama might lose 2-4 more games. Ole Miss isn't looking great for them, and let me tell you, Kentucky is probably going to give them plenty of issues as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1