Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

Some third hand info so take it for what its worth.

Its Elko. They're basically just hashing out the details now. Apparently the thinking is that they have 70-80% of the players they need to make a championship run. Big allocation for 2025 class to fill the remaining needs. The view is that the only missing piece was coaching which in their minds they are fixing with the new hire. Will go all out retard for a big name OC.

gain, passed on to me by aggy who is close with a big money guy who knows the decision makers in this matter. Caveat emptor and all that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Its Elko. They're basically just hashing out the details now. Apparently the thinking is that they have 70-80% of the players they need to make a championship run. Big allocation for 2025 class to fill the remaining needs. The view is that the only missing piece was coaching which in their minds they are fixing with the new hire. Will go all out retard for a big name OC.

gain, passed on to me by aggy who is close with a big money guy who knows the decision makers in this matter. Caveat emptor and all that.

If it's Elko, it would mean they elevate Elijah to figurehead DC.

image.png.70d2e4d5d8374f11ebe77c8d148a90e3.png

He wants a new presence but he prioritizes the collie, the fake army, and the yell leaders (yell leaders not cheerleaders; yell leaders sounds more masculine, and we yell not cheer because it's more manly, too.).

The mounted cavalry is more goofy Aggie shit, as well. How exactly does that fire up the crowd or impact the visiting team?

Where would they even put the cheerleaders if you've got the yell leaders leading cheers? Same with the dance line.

This is meant to be radical and will seem so to the cult.

They are hide-bound in their strange ways. No coach can change it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's Elko. They're basically just hashing out the details now. Apparently the thinking is that they have 70-80% of the players they need to make a championship run. Big allocation for 2025 class to fill the remaining needs.

Bringing in freshman for the 2025 season to fill out the team as it is in 2023. That's some really thinkin' there, my friends.

The 2022 class will be long gone. They're going to have to rebuild unless Elko can work the portal as ruthlessly as Deion Sanders. 

On Elko, I know everybody has been waiting breathlessly for my opinion, bringing Duke up to a level where they beat shitty teams they regularly lost to and plays competively in most games is notable. He deserves praise. 

I don't know if he has the recruiting skills to build a great roster or the coaching skills to do much more than beat many equals and look good against the betters. Yet to be seen.

Sanders would have been their best hope for a quick turnaround. Of course, he's not a fit for A&M.

Investing in a class two years away from enrollment and shelling out big bucks to hold onto to players that will be gone before that 2025 class gets there sounds like the usual shrewd investing that defines A&M.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm talking like how we have Flood as OC.....they'd do the same because Elko calls the defense for them. Robinson likely gets a pay raise to full coordinator pay, he currently makes 1.1 million.

yeah, Durkin calls the defense now for A&M.

Robinson is the co-DC in name only so they could pay him more. he's currently the 2nd highest paid DL coach in the country just ahead of Bo Davis and just behind Larry Johnson by like 67k.

he's just outside the top 10 highest paid DCs in football at that $1.1m.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

that ended in like May 2020 just for what it's worth. when they were still owned by the original owners, before they sold to NYT

Wasserman is just a general meathead.

his last article there was posted 5/20/2020

https://theathletic.com/author/olin-buchanan-texags/

it looks like they signed the agreement in July 2019 and as far as i can tell the last article shared from texags there was that 5/2020 article.

Buchanan is a ginormous tool

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume with an Elko hire the majority of the defensive staff will be kept - that should help keep some of the defensive recruits. 

Interested to see what will happen with the offensive side of the ball.  Do they go for someone like Broyles award nominee and Texas native Will Stein?  I'd imagine most of the offensive guys are familiar or were recruited by him.

What other 'big' offensive recruiter names are out there this cycle?  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I assume with an Elko hire the majority of the defensive staff will be kept - that should help keep some of the defensive recruits. 

Interested to see what will happen with the offensive side of the ball.  Do they go for someone like Broyles award nominee and Texas native Will Stein?  I'd imagine most of the offensive guys are familiar or were recruited by him.

Burton and Gerry touched on this is their reaction video. Elko is malleable, won’t ask for autonomy, and will keep current staff like Robinson. They called Traylor unmalleable, autonomous and will want to bring in his own staff. 

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I would assume Stein would remain at Oregon out of some loyalty to Traylor if Elko gets the job. Do they throw a ton of money at GJ Kinne to be OC? 

Durkin will be gone, and Elko and Robinson will control the defense. The question is really who they get for OC.  just have a hard stime seeing Stein move on from Oregon without Traylor. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do they throw a ton of money at GJ Kinne to be OC? 

My first reaction was why the hell would he make that move, but after thinking about it, if they drop a big enough bag he’d have to consider it. 

He would probably only need to be in College Station for like two years before getting a good P5 job if he turned that offense around in a real way. The possibility of fast tracking your way to an SEC HC job plus millions of Aggie dollars would be hard to turn down. Hopefully his tenuous connection to the Sips makes it a non-starter for them. 

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

My first reaction was why the hell would he make that move, but after thinking about it, if they drop a big enough bag he’d have to consider it. 

He would probably only need to be in College Station for like two years before getting a good P5 job if he turned that offense around in a real way. The possibility of fast tracking your way to an SEC HC job plus millions of Aggie dollars would be hard to turn down. Hopefully his tenuous connection to the Sips makes it a non-starter for them. 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think Elko would bring Johns with him from Duke. Kinne would be good get but he's got like a 2M buyout and I can't see him staying more than a year before moving on to another HC gig (if he doesn't already this year)

He wouldn't be the first HC at a smaller school to take a coordinator position at a place that gets a lot of eyeballs on it every saturday. And I don't think aTm cares about a 2 million buyout to get the right guy, and I don't think they give a fuck if he stays more than a year. He'll tell them whatever they want to hear in an interview. 

1 hour ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

If this is true, then they really are stupider than we think. They have zero depth on that team outside of DLine. Sure, they may go and get some high end front line starters, but it takes years to build depth. If they allocate for one big title run then they literally have a 1 year window. Plus, neither Weigman or Johnson have proven to be that dude at QB. Even If they go ape shit in the portal, it still isn't going to work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwix said:

You would think someone from a self-proclaimed military school would know the difference between Calvary and Cavalry.

I laughed too hard at the suggestion of new camo uniforms for the milkmen so I didn't make it all the way to the crucifixion discussion. Gotta admit, it is more than a bit symbolic of the aggie state of mind.

Edited by Chopper

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The current aggie staff members are telling players that it's Elko and to hold off on transferring because most of the staff won't be going anywhere.

This was always the most obvious outcome.  Even if they kicked the tires on other folks, I'm betting they didn't move from Jimbo without confidence Elko would take the job.

It makes sense that it should help retain players on the defense.  I'm not sure how much "most of the staff won't be going anywhere" helps retain offensive talent.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

This was always the most obvious outcome.  Even if they kicked the tires on other folks, I'm betting they didn't move from Jimbo without confidence Elko would take the job.

It makes sense that it should help retain players on the defense.  I'm not sure how much "most of the staff won't be going anywhere" helps retain offensive talent.

Jimbo seems to be the one most of them couldn’t stand. Liucci slipped a quick comment under his breath the other day that Evan Stewart is practicing again and that the coaches brought out a box of sleeves and are letting any and all players wear them if they like. He slipped in a quick joke about Muhammad and the sleeves too

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:
He must be watching Josh Pate. 

Yeah, Pate has taken a swig from the jizz jar for sure. Midwestern guy who now lives in Georgia, but aggy has won him over.

Pate was called out on this about a month or so. The guy who called him out said it was because Academy was pressuring him to always talk about aggy and talk positively about them because of Academy. Pate then insisted if that was true he’d be required yo do the same about UT and USC, but his argument wasn’t very convincing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lol. Farrell fucking hates Texas more than aTm. The guy hates everything. Of course, if one's life was so miserable that they were unemployable and got caught trying to slide into some underage girl's DM's to get laid for the first time in 20 or so years, they'd probably be as miserable as Mike Farrell as well. Like, EXACTLY as miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Pate was called out on this about a month or so. The guy who called him out said it was because Academy was pressuring him to always talk about aggy and talk positively about them because of Academy. Pate then insisted if that was true he’d be required yo do the same about UT and USC, but his argument wasn’t very convincing.
I don't know if the Academy thing plays a role, but he's mentioned several times that he talks to Looch, and recently said he's talked to several aggy who are involved in the coaching search. It's a sure bet Billy hooked him up with those phone #'s.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The current aggie staff members are telling players that it's Elko and to hold off on transferring because most of the staff won't be going anywhere.

Think we'll find out how much his buyout actually is/was if they hire him?  I assume since they're a public institution they'll have to publish that data.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
37 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don't know if the Academy thing plays a role, but he's mentioned several times that he talks to Looch, and recently said he's talked to several aggy who are involved in the coaching search. It's a sure bet Billy hooked him up with those phone #'s.

If I did Twitter I would ask Pate if aggy loses to LSU would aggy move into his top 10.

I don't know if he has a hard on for aggy or a blind spot for talent. He does the same for Mario. Always apologizes for him and commends the talent he has brought in. 

4 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

If I did Twitter I would ask Pate if aggy loses to LSU would aggy move into his top 10.

I don't know if he has a hard on for aggy or a blind spot for talent. He does the same for Mario. Always apologizes for him and commends the talent he has brought in. 

Yeah, his Pate poll or whatever it’s called is….interesting. I get it, he goes by who would be favored on a neutral field but this week’s poll still has aggy at #18? It’s odd. 

He also claimed there are “firmly entrenched coaches” who have reached out to aggy. Me at the gym when I heard that:

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, his Pate poll or whatever it’s called is….interesting. I get it, he goes by who would be favored on a neutral field but this week’s poll still has aggy at #18? It’s odd. 

He also claimed there are “firmly entrenched coaches” who have reached out to aggy. Me at the gym when I heard that:

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

He gets his info from Luicci, so expect him to have a ministry of truth flavor to whatever he actually says. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't understand how anyone can watch Pate or the On3 crap.  They basically follow the same formula of babbling and talking around the topic and never offer real information or predictions even.   If Texas can control the clock, complete passes, and run when they need to, and protect the QB they have a chance to win.  But they need to get more efficient in the red zone.  ISU has a chance if they can make Texas one dimensional, hold and tackle receivers with immunity,  and score more points.   

• Hook 'Em 6