WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

26 minutes ago, Nivek said:

If you are going too fast where you cannot see a vehicle stopped, a bike, or a kid on the sidewalk you should slow down and put your phone in the trunk. Goddamn y’all are some shit drivers.

There are some dangerous situations.  On a 55 or 60 mph four lane road, you can be behind a truck or large suv in the right hand lane, where you can’t see in front of them.  Then at the last second they whip over to the left lane to avoid some obstacle.   Even if you’re not tailgating you would likely hit whatever they swerved to avoid.  

I’ll also add that I bet dollars to doughnuts this little shit was either filming his coal rolling or looking back to see his handiwork, and that’s why he plowed into the second group.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Saw in a cross post in /r/Houston that the Waller County DA wasn't even notified of the incident by the police, and only learned about it from social media. The little shit heel's parents must know someone in the police department. 

From the linked article: the case will be reviewed and presented to a grand jury to determine if the 16-year-old driver will face any criminal charges.  A timeline has not been given for the legal process.

Edit: didn't realize I linked the reddit thread and not the local news article I meant to...

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/16-year-old-driver-under-investigation-after-running-over-6-houston-area-cyclists

Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 1

Roads turn and dip all the time. Exercising caution is the prudent course of action when visibility is reduced. I believe that is in most driving booklets.

If you know of an area where bikeys like to play, then try to avoid it or slow down and shift your attitude. It is not that big of an inconvenience, and hitting a bikey is a bigger inconvenience for you and everyone else who was trying to use the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I can't fucking stand cyclists, but this kid should have been arrested on site.  

Even the pleasingly plump ones on circa-1987 mountain bikes wearing sneakers?

Okay, I'll admit to not being the types of cyclist you are referring to, but I will admit to running stop signs and lights when there is no traffic. 

When a cyclist actually does follow all the rules, it can get pretty frustrating, because half the cars want to run you off the road anyway, and the other half themselves stop following the rules of the road to "let you go first", which causes all kinds of confusion.

Was listening to a podcast about cyclists talking about all the times they were hit by cars, and they were universally all about driverless cars as the only solution to bikes and cars sharing the road.

50 minutes ago, midtown said:
1 hour ago, F250 said:
Exactly. Particularly on winding Hill country roads surrounded by brush and full of major dips.

So you guys who've been dealing with country roads and the random county road stuff like wild stock and tractors can't handle cyclist?

You ask questions without the courtesy of answering them?

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Saw in a cross post in /r/Houston that the Waller County DA wasn't even notified of the incident by the police, and only learned about it from social media. The little shit heel's parents must know someone in the police department. 

From the linked article: the case will be reviewed and presented to a grand jury to determine if the 16-year-old driver will face any criminal charges.  A timeline has not been given for the legal process.

And then there is this (unverified) tidbit on the thread:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 9.00.42 PM.png

Which should make us all say:

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Edited by hornian
  • Rage+1 1

I ride my old bike in the neighborhood and on the bike paths in Houston. If we decide to ride to the park we ride on the neighborhood roads, but when we cross at a light, we switch to the crosswalks.

I am a simple man, I always defer to whatever is faster/heavier when I walk or pedal putz around.
Unless it's a gorilla, right?
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ll also add that I bet dollars to doughnuts this little shit was either filming his coal rolling or looking back to see his handiwork, and that’s why he plowed into the second group.  

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The little shit will have plenty of time to delete his videos/scrub his phone/etc.

I was a passenger in a car that hit a cyclist. Biker ran a stop sign, my buddy slammed the brakes, but we hit him anyway, despite traveling below the speed limit prior to braking. As he tumbled into the windshield, I realized I knew the dude. 

As a pedestrian, I have twice been bulldozed by cyclists on the sidewalks.

The way that story is written I don’t think you could have arrested him on the spot  

“Ferrell says a black diesel pickup truck slowed down near him and accelerated to blow smoke in his lane.  Moments later, Ferrell claims the pickup truck tried doing the same thing to the other cyclists riding ahead of him.”

While a extremely dick move, I am not sure slowing down and accelerating is a illegal move, and that is all the witness claimed. There may be a case for reckless driving and endangering others but just from this article it seems far from a slam dunk. With out hard evidence of a crime this is just a accident to the cop and should let the investigation play out. 

just reading it I could see the case of the first cyclist being pissed off about what the kid did and in a rage blame him for a accident that happened minutes later. I know this is surly but those sure are fast jumps to conclusions y’all made. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, hornbri said:

The way that story is written I don’t think you could have arrested him on the spot  

“Ferrell says a black diesel pickup truck slowed down near him and accelerated to blow smoke in his lane.  Moments later, Ferrell claims the pickup truck tried doing the same thing to the other cyclists riding ahead of him.”

While a extremely dick move, I am not sure slowing down and accelerating is a illegal move, and that is all the witness claimed. There may be a case for reckless driving and endangering others but just from this article it seems far from a slam dunk. With out hard evidence of a crime this is just a accident to the cop and should let the investigation play out. 

just reading it I could see the case of the first cyclist being pissed off about what the kid did and in a rage blame him for a accident that happened minutes later. I know this is surly but those sure are fast jumps to conclusions y’all made. 

6 hit, 4 hospitalized, 2 care flighted.  I’m pretty firmly on team anti-biker, but the kid did a little more than harmlessly fuck with them.  He should at least face the prospect of a trial and some potential jail time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I've never had to deal with bike riders, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. That being said, this sounds like the most boring shit to listen to.

I don't think by clarifying it would make any more exciting, but it was a Malcolm Gladwell podcast about driverless cars and how they are pretty good, generally, and not hitting cyclists.

r2s7sV.gif

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

And he may still be charged. What does arresting him on the spot do?

didn’t this happen 2 days ago? Why not let the evidence play out before saying he is “walking free”

Not arresting or even fucking citing him for an offense is a pretty clear signal of the police trying to sweep it under the rug to protect this little good ol boy. What evidence is there to play out?

This dumbass kid rolled coal on one group of cyclists, then went onto the next group up ahead, tried the same stunt, and lost control of his vehicle and hit six people for no fucking good reason, and hospitalized four of them. That's not harmless fun. It is a crime to recklessly endanger the lives of others with a deadly weapon (his brodozer truck). 

Although frankly it sounds like you're on the rich kids side and just think the cyclists are being sour grapes.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

What if it was reversed and the diesel truck was white and the 16 year old kid was black?

Oh now you've done it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I've never had to deal with bike riders, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. That being said, this sounds like the most boring shit to listen to.

Yea this is me as well. I guess I see a few ppl on a bike every now and then but I never experienced anything like everyone else is describing. Different worlds and all that in guess

1 hour ago, midtown said:

They can't see someone 100-300 yards in front of them with a blinking light?

Do any of you have actual txdl?

Right? I've been driving semis as well as my own pickup in the hill country for decades. I've hit plenty of deer darting across the road at night. I've never once had an issue with a cyclist. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Anyone walking on the side of a road or riding a bike on said road is automatically entered in the Darwin awards program… fast tracked actually.

I’ve seen 3 bikes, and their riders  hit in the course of a single day on the outer banks of NC.

You’re all friggin idiots, wish a death wish.

cars headlights are like a dolls eye….. lifeless, Dead,  I’ll never wear a life vest again …. Or something like that 

No you haven't. 

1 minute ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

No you haven't. 

Yeah... I have.  Went for a day trip with the family from the northern end of the beaches down to a southern barrier island called Ocracoke. Saw 3 folks who'd been hit by cars on that hour and a half stretch of 2 lane road.

It's go lots of traffic from folks who aren't from there, and are looking at dunes, and water instead of paying attention the the road.  It was pretty damned weird to see.  So, yeah I have.  I'm not one to make shit up.

25 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

What a dumb fucking take. Good job 

Whatever. The only witness statement you are going off of is one person who already had a gripe against the kid. 

if there was even a single second witness that backed up the first I would agree. But that’s not what the article says. 

right now it’s he said/ he said either multiple people hurt. 

Maybe the dumb take is accepting the first thing you read without asking questions and just joining the lynch mob. 

Edited by hornbri
  • Fuck You 4

Wow, I hope I don't encounter some of y'all on the road when I'm biking to work. Bike lanes are basically non existent in Houston so I take the lane when I'm on a two lane road (I don't bike on roads with just one lane). The speed limit will never be what I pedal so I guess y'all will have to slow down for a few minutes until you can safely pass. F me for trying to do a good thing for the environment and stay healthy. Most bikers I see around my area are just trying to get from point A to B and not decked all out in spandex. I do rock the spandex once a week but that's when I'm getting miles in on the bayous. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wow, I hope I don't encounter some of y'all on the road when I'm biking to work. Bike lanes are basically non existent in Houston so I take the lane when I'm on a two lane road (I don't bike on roads with just one lane). The speed limit will never be what I pedal so I guess y'all will have to slow down for a few minutes until you can safely pass. F me for trying to do a good thing for the environment and stay healthy. Most bikers I see around my area are just trying to get from point A to B and not decked all out in spandex. I do rock the spandex once a week but that's when I'm getting miles in on the bayous. 

Fuck yo environment!

0103ebaa327bb6f149da2ffd8b476aa4.gif

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

If you are going too fast where you cannot see a vehicle stopped, a bike, or a kid on the sidewalk you should slow down and put your phone in the trunk. Goddamn y’all are some shit drivers.

Another friend of mine in the Tarpley area was driving home after a gig. It was after midnight, and he was traveling slow. 45mph in a 55mph zone. There was a bridge that you cross after a sharp turn. He said as soon as his lights illuminated the bridge, he slammed on the brakes due to an animal. He couldn’t stop in time, and he killed an elk. He knew dispatch and the sheriff who responded. Both mocked him for thinking the animal was an elk. When the sheriff got there, the sheriff said, “damn, it IS an elk.

Driving too slow is as dangerous as driving too fast. Worst case is too fast meets up with too slow. Don’t be either.

The elk had escaped from an exotic ranch. Totaled his vehicle. He couldn’t even claim the elk.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

My opinion on this is heavily influenced by some time spent in the insurance industry.  You see 10-15 motorcycle accidents with seriously bodily injury and it makes you tap the brakes on wanting to get on the road with vehicles that outweigh you by a few thousand pounds.

edited to add: and bicycles are worse because of the speed differential.

Edited by conVINCEd

32 minutes ago, hornbri said:

The only witness statement you are going off of is one person who already had a gripe against the kid

Dude. There are six folks injured AFTER the incident you reference. Maybe they could not give a statement, because they were being airlifted to the hospital. You seem more invested than anyone else. This guy your cousin?

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Whatever. The only witness statement you are going off of is one person who already had a gripe against the kid. 

if there was even a single second witness that backed up the first I would agree. But that’s not what the article says. 

right now it’s he said/ he said either multiple people hurt. 

Maybe the dumb take is accepting the first thing you read without asking questions and just joining the lynch mob. 

He said she said with 6 people really fucked up and in the hospital. 

Edited by Zepol87

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Yes, being a juvie is what let him walk that day. He was either going to be released at the scene to his parents or down at the station. You can't hold a Julie for long without things being an immediate felony and they can't question him without parental consent and witness.
Charges will come out of the DA office based on him being a juvie within the week.

Irrespective of how much jail time he should or will do, convict or take a plea from him of something that will remove his rights to vote and own a firearm for a good long while. He’s proven too stupid/dangerous with either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

makes you tap the brakes on wanting to get on the road with vehicles that outweigh you by a few thousand pounds.

This is me. I've mountain biked and rode dirt bikes for years with my kids but there ain't no fucking way I am going to do any cycling or ride a motorcycle on the road.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Dude. There are six folks injured AFTER the incident you reference. Maybe they could not give a statement, because they were being airlifted to the hospital. You seem more invested than anyone else. This guy your cousin?

There were two airlifted. 4 remained on scene. Not one of those four could give a statement? Maybe they did and it’s not reported in which case the cops fucked up. But they fact that it wasn’t reported is significant  (or maybe they gave conflicting statements which is also significant. We just don’t know at this point). 

this board constantly complains about cops and their actions. All I am saying is if the only two statements are the driver and the one cyclist behind the accident. Then I think the cop did the right thing by just filing a report and letting the system work. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I was a passenger in a car that hit a cyclist. Biker ran a stop sign, my buddy slammed the brakes, but we hit him anyway, despite traveling below the speed limit prior to braking. As he tumbled into the windshield, I realized I knew the dude. 

As a pedestrian, I have twice been bulldozed by cyclists on the sidewalks.

Riders preparing for triathlon (like in article) arent riding on a sidewalk…