Texas BBQ

Washpark

And speaking of shitty chain BBQ, my research to recall the name "Famous Dave's" (because I sure as shit have never eaten there) turned up this world-class ranking of chain BBQ places around our great country.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/americas-best-barbecue-chains-2018-gallery

This photo in particular caught my eye.  Also caught in my throat as I almost hurled up lunch.  This is BBQ???

8_Smokey%20Bones_Slide_edit.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, Focht Up said:

I got some lunch at Mickelthwaite's yesterday (brisket and the frito pie).  The brisket was dry AF, and the frito pie had a weird flavor.  very disappointing.

Had the same experience with the brisket today. The spare ribs were good. The pickles were delicious. 

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hate to say it, but last week I had a bad meal at Pinkerton’s. I would say this was like the third time in maybe 20 times eating there, so not a big deal I guess. The brisket was chewy as fuck and fat wasn’t rendered. Sausage was good though.

Did you just sit there and eat it, quietly suffering or take it back and get another plate?   Reasonable guys like Grant and Champ are more than happy to replace your bad cuts if you let them know.  They don't want bad product coming off the line and on to plates. 

Did you just sit there and eat it, quietly suffering or take it back and get another plate?   Reasonable guys like Grant and Champ are more than happy to replace your bad cuts if you let them know.  They don't want bad product coming off the line and on to plates. 

I ate it. I didn’t see Grant around. If he was around, I probably would have asked for another cut. It happens, and at these type of places, not often.

Interestingly though, I have never seen cutters throw away so much as I have at Truth. One could draw a couple of conclusions from that, but I haven’t had a bad meal there with the exception of once or twice. I think the most consistent place I have been has been Tejas.

46 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I ate it. I didn’t see Grant around. If he was around, I probably would have asked for another cut. It happens, and at these type of places, not often.

Interestingly though, I have never seen cutters throw away so much as I have at Truth. One could draw a couple of conclusions from that, but I haven’t had a bad meal there with the exception of once or twice. I think the most consistent place I have been has been Tejas.

I once got a burnt up rib at Buck’s.  I brought it to Champ’s attention and he was ashen-white horrified.  3 perfect replacements where on my plate within a minute.  

Sometimes a clunker gets loose.  Real operators take it seriously. 

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

I once got a burnt up rib at Buck’s.  I brought it to Champ’s attention and he was ashen-white horrified.  3 perfect replacements where on my plate within a minute.  

Ditto at PCs.  Shit got fixed quick once Champ saw what someone else served me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, deadshank said:

I've said it before, but the worst cut BBQ I have ever had someone cut and serve to me was Will Fleischman (formerly of both Lockhart Smokehouse locations and Louie King BBQ)

It was a flat out terrible brisket, all the way around. that happens. but the guy was happy to serve it, cut it and let me pay for it without saying anything. i assumed he was some guy learning the pits but later on found out he was the pitmaster - he has a very unique look which is the only reason i knew who he was after looking some stuff up later.

Meanwhile, I have seen Jordan Jackson at Bodacious open a "fresh" brisket, cut it, see it wasn't good (it ended up in sloppy joe), then go back to get another one off the smoker with a long line after the last Top 50 release. 

Like you said, things happen - but if you are at a reasonable place with any level of pride in their work, they are going to do everything they can to fix it. 

On 8/12/2019 at 4:53 PM, Brisketexan said:

@Pescado_Rojo once whipped up a batch, using Hatch green chiles, that he stuffed with boudin, battered, fried, and served with a green chile cream gravy.  They were, ummm, magnificent.

you know what i'm bringing to the LSU beatdown on 9/7...so i'm doing my part. 

and that shit better show up at our tailgate or i'll curb stomp your collective asses.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

you know what i'm bringing to the LSU beatdown on 9/7...so i'm doing my part. 

and that shit better show up at our tailgate or i'll curb stomp your collective asses.

I don't think we're gonna beat y'all down, but a comfortable 10-point win is likely. :)

that’s at least two pounds of brisket and a rack of ribs. 

I see that happening sort of, but in my world, right when he gets to the table with your 2lbs of brisket and rack of ribs, he chunks them in the trash, hops onto your table, drops trow, and proceeds to take a giant shit on your placemat.

Oh, and your mom’s there.

For those in the 620/Lake Travis barbecue wasteland:

Just tried Jim’s Smokehouse, a trailer on 620 between Steiner and the dam.  Legit bbq, good sides.  Interstellar has been a Godsend out this way, but this is a good place with good bbq.  The owner, Brad, is very nice.  Trained at CIA, worked at Mezzaluna and Siena.  

Just laid a few pieces on a plate to show.  The smaller rib is a baby-back

spacer.png

If anybody is going to be in the Temple area tomorrow a guy I know will be set up with his barbecue truck between Adams and 25th, kind of across from the ghetto HEB. Li'l Armadillo BBQ is the name. Really good brisket, excellent spares (even though they are St. Louis cut, better than what Miller's has now), some of the best beans I've had in a long time, excellent slaw, lots of other stuff. Kirby is a good cook and a good dude, and a hell of a drummer.

He's not there every week, but starting to set up there pretty often when his schedule allows.

54 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

This guy fucks

I took it home (whole, 1 1/2 lbs) and sliced it, and put some on my plate.  I am sure he uses paper.  My point was the bbq, not the serving method.

And yes, at home, I use plates.    Philistines...

And, oh Champ, what are the round white things your food is served on in the photos on the Buck’s thread?

Edited by AustinMT