Texas BBQ

Washpark

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped at Southern Smoke BBQ in San Angelo yesterday afternoon on the way back from Midland.  It's located in the back of Plateau Brewing which looked like a pretty cool place to hang out and drink a beer.
Got a half pound of moist brisket, half pound of cheesy jalapeno sausage, and cole slaw.  Brisket was well seasoned with a nice bark.  Sausage was unlike most jalapeno/cheese sausages - no chunks of cheese or jalapeno, everything was ground.  Flavor was good and skin had a nice snap.  Slaw was good.  They were very generous with the slicing.  I'm going to guess that was close to 3/4 pound of brisket based upon the thickness of the slices.
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of barbecue.  Would recommend if you find yourself in the Concho Valley and are looking for lunch.

b388e4b2436fcac21024304b4c709a9a.jpg4ed39efd794390f9d234974590a328e1.jpg

Those /lb prices are VERY reasonable based on what is currently out there.

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped at Southern Smoke BBQ in San Angelo yesterday afternoon on the way back from Midland.  It's located in the back of Plateau Brewing which looked like a pretty cool place to hang out and drink a beer.
Got a half pound of moist brisket, half pound of cheesy jalapeno sausage, and cole slaw.  Brisket was well seasoned with a nice bark.  Sausage was unlike most jalapeno/cheese sausages - no chunks of cheese or jalapeno, everything was ground.  Flavor was good and skin had a nice snap.  Slaw was good.  They were very generous with the slicing.  I'm going to guess that was close to 3/4 pound of brisket based upon the thickness of the slices.
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of barbecue.  Would recommend if you find yourself in the Concho Valley and are looking for lunch.

b388e4b2436fcac21024304b4c709a9a.jpg4ed39efd794390f9d234974590a328e1.jpg

Those /lb prices are VERY reasonable based on what is currently out there.

Edited by pch
delete-double post

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

I have a 1:30 p.m. hearing on Thursday in Llano. Is Cooper’s worth a shit these days? Haven’t been there in about seven years and last time it was incredibly meh.

as everyone has said, get the big chop and skip basically everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Everything else there is so salty that it is almost inedible.  Ground black pepper > Kosher salt on smoked meats.  I don't understand how they have so badly lost their moorings.

The pork chop was pretty salty, but not like the ribs and brisket I’ve gotten recently at the Congress Avenue location. Still, between that and the green beans, I just ate a week’s worth of sodium.

Don't know where to put this, so I'll go with this thread, because it gets some run.  For the more butcher-y among us, what are these ribs?  Are they long short ribs?  Short dino ribs?  Another part of the cow altogether?  Seems cheap, do they suck?

image.png.63304305f558bd7dfcceac38c54828ca.png

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

not like the ribs and brisket I’ve gotten recently at the Congress Avenue location. 

If you order too much to eat in one sitting from Cooper's downtown, just give it away. You can't even take their stuff home for later. The saltiness gets even more overwhelming over time. 

PSA time (psst, it's for a good cause!)

I'm involved with the Touchdown Club of Dallas. We put on a handful of charitable events in Dallas every year with the sole purpose of raising money to fund the Ashford Rise School of Dallas. It's a great fucking cause. And we have a lot of fun with our events. Ryan Bingham played our Round-Up event on Thursday before the Texas-OU game last October for instance.

We also do an annual Rib/Appetizer Cook-Off in the spring and I'm the chairman for the 2022 event, scheduled for Saturday, April 16th. This event is just getting bigger and better every year. We have re-branded the event as the Big Texas BBQ and this year we'll be on the plaza at Fair Park just under the famed Cotton Bowl sign. We'll have live music starting at 10 AM and culminating in performances by Gary P Nunn and Kevin Fowler to close out the proceedings.

Celebrity judges include Tootsie Tomanetz and Daniel Vaughn (among others). All-day passes are available for $50 until 4/1 when they jump to $75. That price includes all booze provided by Ben E Keith, Tito's, Treaty Oak and more! So, quite literally, all the beer/whiskey is ON ME!!!!!

Come join us an individual ($50), a competitor (teams are $750 and $1500) or a VIP sponsor ($1500+). I don't give a shit what level you choose as long as you come out and have fun!

(End shameless plug.)

GaryP-Fowler-TDC-2022.jpeg

TDC Big Texas BBQ Cookoff Flyer 2022.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't know where to put this, so I'll go with this thread, because it gets some run.  For the more butcher-y among us, what are these ribs?  Are they long short ribs?  Short dino ribs?  Another part of the cow altogether?  Seems cheap, do they suck?

image.png.63304305f558bd7dfcceac38c54828ca.png

Chud did a video on beef back ribs here:

basically? lots of work for not much result.

Help ! “I need to know what cut of Beef Ribs to Tell my Butcher” | Three  Little Pigs BBQ Rubs & Sauces

They're from the back, not the underneath.  Less meat, not as tasty.  I'd rather cook and eat pork spare ribs which are also quite affordable.

Short ribs off the plate, on the other hand, are heavenly.  And expensive.

Edited by utee94

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're from the back, not the underneath.  Less meat, not as tasty.  I'd rather cook and eat pork spare ribs which are also quite affordable.

Ironically, I'm doing some pork spare ribs right now.  Didn't trim 'em down St. Louis style, so we'll see if that's a mistake.

Short ribs off the plate, on the other hand, are heavenly.  And expensive.

Any thoughts on the chuck (flanken) short ribs?  I see them now and again.

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

Chud did a video on beef back ribs here:

Thanks, that helps.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ironically, I'm doing some pork spare ribs right now.  Didn't trim 'em down St. Louis style, so we'll see if that's a mistake.

Thanks, that helps.

I like chuck ribs too, they tend to be less fatty and have more connective tissue, but they still make a tasty finished product.  Not as good as plate short ribs, IMO, but there are probably some that like chuck better.

Also, St. Louis style has caught on in recent years, but 25 years ago and further back, many Central Texas BBQ joints didn't trim them that way,  As long as you trim off the skirt piece on the back so the rack cooks evenly, should come out fine.

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Also, St. Louis style has caught on in recent years, but 25 years ago and further back, many Central Texas BBQ joints didn't trim them that way,  As long as you trim off the skirt piece on the back so the rack cooks evenly, should come out fine.

Yup, I trimmed off that flap and threw it in with the rest of them.  It wasn't that big, about the same as one of the longer ribs, but I didn't want it shielding the back side.

I even managed to get most of the silverskin off this time.  I have to get my head in the right space for the battle.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks, that helps.

If you mean the "flanken" ribs as like when they're cut super thin, I love these things. However, I saw them at Central Market the other day and they were like $13/lb!!!! Fuck that shit.

I saw a feature about Valentina's on one of the cable food channels, and was surprised to see Miguel Vidal smoking Q over mesquite.  It was from 2015, though -- is that still his wood of choice?  I was taught that mesquite is OK for grilling, but shouldn't be used for low and slow because it can put out creosote.  I'm wondering if that's an overly cautious point of view?

On 3/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Everything else there is so salty that it is almost inedible.  Ground black pepper > Kosher salt on smoked meats.  I don't understand how they have so badly lost their moorings.

That was my last experience at Cooper's in New Braunfels 4-5 years ago. It was awful.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

There was a legend leading the chats at Q2 stadium this weekend:

FNMmVonXoAcM0tK?format=jpg&name=small

She's an amazing lady. As mentioned above, she'll be in Dallas on 4/16 to be a celeb judge at our Rib/Appetizer Cook-Off (The BIg Texas BBQ) at the Cotton Bowl. Come join us -- $50 includes all booze and Gary P. Nunn/Kevin Fowler playing back-to-back to end the event!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

Houston Truth was still excellent today.

About 40 min wait walking up at 11

We could have ate together. Hot there about 11:15 and it was indeed excellent. The cutter says to me “I should know by now what your order is” then gave me a free slice of brisket with my order. Winning.

What's the line like at Burnt Bean on a Sunday?

Doesn’t matter. Just go. And if they have tortilla soup, get some.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a feature about Valentina's on one of the cable food channels, and was surprised to see Miguel Vidal smoking Q over mesquite.  It was from 2015, though -- is that still his wood of choice?  I was taught that mesquite is OK for grilling, but shouldn't be used for low and slow because it can put out creosote.  I'm wondering if that's an overly cautious point of view?

Grant P uses a mix of post oak and mesquite

44 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Doesn’t matter. Just go. And if they have tortilla soup, get some.

Usually I'd be down for whatever, it's just that this particular trip I'm going to have four children under the age of 8 in tow. I can hear the whining already.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Usually I'd be down for whatever, it's just that this particular trip I'm going to have four children under the age of 8 in tow. I can hear the whining already.

I haven't been but I'd be prepared for a long line. My good buddy, who is a BBQ aficionado of the highest order, said the brisket huevos rancheros is among the best things he's ever eaten anywhere. Only offered Sunday during brunch.

Any interest in a large trailer bbq pit? It’s a 500 gallon tank on a tandem trailer. Some of you may recognize this pit, let’s not get all that started. Feel free to reach out directly if you want to discuss live. Figured it would get more traction here than in the classifieds. It’s in Amarillo currently but would deliver it or meet somewhere. 8o6-679-oo05. $6K

683F39D9-1908-44C3-8665-71E0567F0CC4.png

Edited by RMac5
  • Like 1

To heck with gas prices -- things are getting real.

Don’t Mess With Texas Barbecue: Restaurants Confront Rising Meat Prices

Lone Star pitmasters get creative to stay afloat and keep a pillar of the state’s culture alive

im-500656?width=300&height=200

im-500647?width=639&height=898

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-bbq-brisket-restaurants-meat-prices-11646771801?mod=hp_featst_pos5

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 3/7/2022 at 6:52 AM, jimmyjazz said:

They used Mesquite at Bodacious on Mobberly predominantly and was never a problem. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, RMac5 said:

Any interest in a large trailer bbq pit? It’s a 500 gallon tank on a tandem trailer. Some of you may recognize this pit, let’s not get all that started. Feel free to reach out directly if you want to discuss live. Figured it would get more traction here than in the classifieds. It’s in Amarillo currently but would deliver it or meet somewhere. 8o6-679-oo05. $6K

683F39D9-1908-44C3-8665-71E0567F0CC4.png

looks like Bushland to me

• Hook 'Em 1

To heck with gas prices -- things are getting real.
Don’t Mess With Texas Barbecue: Restaurants Confront Rising Meat Prices
Lone Star pitmasters get creative to stay afloat and keep a pillar of the state’s culture alive
im-500656?width=300&height=200
im-500647?width=639&height=898
https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-bbq-brisket-restaurants-meat-prices-11646771801?mod=hp_featst_pos5

RJ enters one BBQ contest and now he’s raffling off some que.