Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

This was Pecan Lodge 5 minutes after opening today. We had a wind chill in the 30s this morning so that might have been a factor. I've always known this place to have a line out the door. My oh my how things have changed. 

20220311_110534.jpg

20220311_110530.jpg

How was it 

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Eater has a good video in LaVaca (Victoria) and the pitmaster. She seems to be a badass and I want those tamales. Anyone been?

I've been a couple of times.  Not that my opinion matters, but I think it is good bbq.  Definitely better than anything else in the area.  Have not had the tamales.  I would like to try them but I just cannot see myself spending that much on tamales.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was just okay. A lot better than my last visit in 2018 or 2019 but the overall quality has definitely taken a nose dive. 

When PL was at the Dallas farmers Market it was some great barbecue. Been on a downhill slide since moving to a real restaurant space and the owners had to run a real restaurant.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Eater has a good video in LaVaca (Victoria) and the pitmaster. She seems to be a badass and I want those tamales. Anyone been?

the place is 5stars legit. i 100% disagree with their expansion plans, want to open a shop in Victoria.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Are you trying to kill him? He's already got enough health problems.

#keepbobalive

I'm trying to save him. Someone took me the downtown Cooper's this week and the brisket was inedible. No amount of chewing could break it up. Had to spit it out. Can't imagine what the lean was like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the place is 5stars legit. i 100% disagree with their expansion plans, want to open a shop in Victoria.

They already have an outpost in Bay City.  Are they thinking about closing that one down or adding a third location in Victoria?

On 3/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

if you’re passing through town, here’s a chance to not only tee up some good cue but have a real, tangible impact…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca99WgCumNt/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'll make an extra trip or two this month just for that.   Gene is a good dude.  He's in my FF league as well.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Brisket and tamales may be the most formidable duo since Jim Beam and Johnny Walker.  

I’m driving down this weekend to propose to her.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

At a conference in Dallas this week.   Was tasked by my boss to take my co-workers and some of our out of state colleagues to dinner.   He normally takes them to Hard Ate “for the experience”.   I took everyone to Hutchins.  It was absolutely awesome. 14 of us in total.   Here’s the damage 

7lbs Brisket

2 lbs each of original and Jalapeño cheddar sausage 

3 lbs turkey

4 lbs ribs

2 lbs burnt ends   

52CCA2D3-115F-4939-9511-DAFCE7C095DC.jpeg

1B6DE34F-085F-40F3-8691-44117619E0CC.jpeg

EBF4081B-D861-4280-B30B-38C08E82501E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’ll never understand ordering turkey when delicious beef and pork is available. turkey is fine but it isn’t moist brisket or a pork rib. ham with jezebel sauce isn’t bad either but I’d never fucking order it at a bbq restaurant. 

3 ladies and a dude not eating red meat for a while in the group.   Had to bend my own rules this time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Had Pinkertons in SA today.  Overall better than a recent trip.  Ribs 8.9, Brisket 8.4, Sausage 7.9. Appeared overstaffed with plenty of people standing around talking.  The mrs stated that the dining area needed some cleaning.  He'll continue to get my business because he's better than most.  

I forgot that parking is free when you park in the Rand Building parking garage.

Edited by RollLeft

5c14cfa15673ff7a55407f66235773a7.jpg

Really mediocre meal at Stanley’s sadly. Mushy ribs and jala chz sausage was super meh. They have 3 options for brisket: lean, moist, barky. Hell yes give me barky. Brisket was very good. They threw in some potato salad that had a jalapeño kick and was also good.
They seem to have changed something with the ribs in the last year or so, and it hasn't been for the better. Your assessment is spot on. The brisket was great when I was there last week though, and the sammiches always are solid.

I’ll never understand ordering turkey when delicious beef and pork is available. turkey is fine but it isn’t moist brisket or a pork rib. ham with jezebel sauce isn’t bad either but I’d never fucking order it at a bbq restaurant. 

A properly smoked turkey breasticle is awesome. It also helps you not feel like ass if you mix a little in with the standard meats. Eating a pound of moist brisket is great, but my stomach and toilet pay for it later.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I tried to put Feges into my rotation, it didn’t stick.

The picture above is St. Louis style pork ribs. It isn’t a regular menu item. Today was their 4th anniversary in Greenway Plaza. The whole crew was there and they paid attention to detail. 

I understand your position. Their brisket is widely inconsistent. I really only go when they’re serving a special. 

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Smoked turkey is awesome.

Also, I can tell who has zero experience catering and/or feeding large crowds.

I’m beyond well versed in both.  I over-ordered on purpose because we had so many from out of state.  The only thing left was brisket and a little turkey.  I took the brisket home and vacuum packed it.  

Edited by Trey3216

On 3/17/2022 at 1:09 AM, TXSooner518 said:

5c14cfa15673ff7a55407f66235773a7.jpg

Really mediocre meal at Stanley’s sadly. Mushy ribs and jala chz sausage was super meh. They have 3 options for brisket: lean, moist, barky. Hell yes give me barky. Brisket was very good. They threw in some potato salad that had a jalapeño kick and was also good.

"Shaw" was the guy who was cooking ribs back when they started winning the Texas Monthly best ribs awards.  Shaw isn't there any more.  This review of Stanley's is the least surprising thing I will read today.  

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m beyond well versed in both.  I over-ordered on purpose because we had so many from out of state.  The only thing left was brisket and a little turkey.  I took the brisket home and vacuum packed it.  

...the real pro move

clint eastwood legend GIF

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Wasn't talking about you. :)

• Like 1