Texas BBQ

Washpark

I'm under the assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Burnt Bean will sell out or whatever i would probably be in the area around 1:00.  I hadn't considered Burnt Bean for line and possible sellout.  Advise me if that's not an issue. 

*I have never been to the City Market in Luling so that stop would be purely for nostalgia and to market it off the list. 

Edited by DallasSooner
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

I'm under the assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Burnt Bean will sell out or whatever i would probably be in the area around 1:00.  I hadn't considered Burnt Bean for line and possible sellout.  Advise me if that's not an issue. 

*I have never been to the City Market in Luling so that stop would be purely for nostalgia and to market it off the list. 

BB will sell out by 1 pm

6 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

City Market would be a great stop so long as you can appreciate what it is and not expect "craft barbecue."  

leftover food is an absolute killer. L&L do everything they can to save and re-use a ton of their food (quick plug for their Patreon which is excellent - https://www.patreon.com/leroyandlewis) and even then i am sure they take a beating on that front.
9pm is just too late, 5 min away from rangers/cowboys is good but 9p every night? come on.

This, and the other issue with Hurtado is he is open 7 days. That’s a killer on staff and your labor costs and now he adds dinner service. He should have data that easily tells him which days are worthwhile . I would likely be closed Sunday and Mondays.

He’s determined to be the IHOP of barbecue. I expect his next step is 24 hour operation.

Maybe it’s all that time huffing woodsmoke but even though the history it’s very clear on the general life expectancy of overexpanded craft barbecue joints, they just keep doing it over and over.

Alright I think the plan for now is to drive down tomorrow and hit City Market in Luling basically want to see that place and have the sauce I've heard so much about and their sausage.  Once I'm in San Antonio I'm going to hit Reese Brothers (couple blocks south of the Alamodome) on Saturday for lunch and then somewhere in Austin will be hit on Sunday on the way back to Dallas but not sure where just yet. 

Edited by DallasSooner
  • Hook 'Em 1

Alright I think the plan for now is to drive down tomorrow and hit City Market in Luling basically want to see that place and have the sauce I've heard so much about and their sausage.  Once I'm in San Antonio I'm going to hit Reese Brothers (couple blocks south of the Alamodome) on Saturday for lunch and then somewhere in Austin will be hit on Sunday on the way back to Dallas but not sure where just yet. 

I doubt you will be disappointed by Reese Bros.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

I love the City Market sauce, even bring a qt back home. The sauce is perfect for the ribs and sausage. I'm not a huge sauce guy, but the sauce does not go well with their brisket, in my personal non professional opinion of lover of cue.

Edited by dmtx

34 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

We are going to SA for a concert on Saturday night.  Trying to finagle a lunch trip to Reese Bros as well.  

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 4:46 PM, DallasSooner said:

Driving Dallas to San Antonio this week.  Gonna take toll road around Austin; last time I did this I went to Blacks in Lockhart (had never been) and this time I'm considering stoppng at Luling City Market.   Thumbs up on Luling City market?  Gonna try and hit Reese (sp) Brothers in San Antonio on Saturday. 

I have it on good authority that City Market began using pellet grills for at least some of their meats during the pandemic.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I have it on good authority that City Market began using pellet grills for at least some of their meats during the pandemic.

i've heard this for years, before pandemic. as long as those ribs and sausage continue to be absolute perfection then i don't care. 

Wife and I heading to hill country for the weekend tomorrow. Gonna stop in Luling on the way and hit City Market, as is tradition. I know they've been lapped by better shops over the years, but I still insist we go for nostalgia....and the ribs...and a lunch for 2 for under $30...and a big jug of their sauce to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At somewhere between $10-13.25 for a breakfast taco, I think we have jumped the shark.  That being said, the next time I am in Austin, I’m gonna head south and see if it’s worth it.

I agree, it’s expensive. But this isn’t some bullshit brisket taco from Bucees.

My pops and I were heading back to Houston from NM and I stopped there so he could try it. This was 2 years ago and he still talks about it being the best breakfast taco he has had.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a weird way, I prefer Salt Lick when it's crowded and hopping.  Like, Sunday afternoon when some dude is singing songs in the courtyard.  I'm not sure Monday at lunch would be so great. 

As others have said, it's the place to take family for a couple of hours to enjoy the drive, have beer, reasonable 'Q, and . . . get the dessert.  Oh yeah, cash only.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1