Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 3/4/2024 at 3:05 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Growing up in East Texas I would dip my fried okra in bbq sauce. Bodacious and Riverport sauces both make for excellent fried okra condiments.

I do that too.

And the Surly hate for the world's most popular condiment never fails to amuse me. 

Edited by ztejas

Wife and I gonna be passing through Luling tomorrow at lunchtime tomorrow. I know City Market is no longer considered a top tier BBQ spot, but I still enjoy popping in at least once a year. Brisket is extremely hit or miss, but their ribs are still worth the trip, and it's nice to be able to get more than enough BBQ for 2 people for less than $30 in this day and age.  And you best believe I'm grabbing a couple bottles of sauce to go. 

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Wife and I gonna be passing through Luling tomorrow at lunchtime tomorrow. I know City Market is no longer considered a top tier BBQ spot, but I still enjoy popping in at least once a year. Brisket is extremely hit or miss, but their ribs are still worth the trip, and it's nice to be able to get more than enough BBQ for 2 people for less than $30 in this day and age.  And you best believe I'm grabbing a couple bottles of sauce to go. 

ask for the moist and burnt ends. their sausage is still very good 

For those of you that pass through East Texas, we got a new-ish joint cranking out some good stuff here in Lufkin.  Boxcar BBQ on the south side of our downtown area.  In addition to the traditional meats and plates, they're inventing some crazy sandwiches, experimenting with sides, and cranking out some decadent desserts.  They also do pre-orders.  

Just a friendly PSA from the Piney Woods...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

ask for the moist and burnt ends. their sausage is still very good 

That with the ribs and City Market is still a solid trip.  I like the higher quality food that BBQ places have been offering over the past 10-15 years, but I still love the older joints that aren't overrun by the BBQ bros and maintain that small town local feel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That with the ribs and City Market is still a solid trip.  I like the higher quality food that BBQ places have been offering over the past 10-15 years, but I still love the older joints that aren't overrun by the BBQ bros and maintain that small town local feel.

The pit room at City Market in Luling is still one of my absolute favorite places on earth. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Yikes, that looks atrocious. Bodacious down the  street would’ve been better, no doubt. 

Not that far to Sunbird either (although I think I read they were closed for a couple of weeks).  Or even Pat Gee's for the sake of an interesting experience (I'm told).

In other news, Jordan Jackson no longer is at Franklin, moved back to east Texas, and is doing BBQ restaurant consulting of some sort.  While I don't know if there's a huge market for that, hopefully some people looking to open a BBQ joint around here will employ him, learn a thing or two, and start cranking out some good food.

Edited by dcbc

On 3/9/2024 at 6:01 PM, dcbc said:

Not that far to Sunbird either (although I think I read they were closed for a couple of weeks).  Or even Pat Gee's for the sake of an interesting experience (I'm told).

In other news, Jordan Jackson no longer is at Franklin, moved back to east Texas, and is doing BBQ restaurant consulting of some sort.  While I don't know if there's a huge market for that, hopefully some people looking to open a BBQ joint around here will employ him, learn a thing or two, and start cranking out some good food.

the experience is the ONLY reason to go to Pat Gee's

Jordan went into consulting i know, and i think he's doing some stuff w/ Joe Zavala. i know he had his issues and i am legit proud of him for making life changes - he's a good human and i'm glad he's on the right track now (and has been for 5+ years)

this just came out, not sure if it's where he talked about it or not.

edit: went into consulting because he wants to help folks who have a passion to help them grow their talents. trying to help people figure out what they want to do and become the best they can be. sounds like he's doing some work helping at Stanleys? said he has a knack for teaching and wants to help people. "i am here as a teacher"

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Hot water cornbread was great. Sausage was mid, ribs were good, brisket was legit

8e7e9273228377227e7119f39c9de095.jpg

15e79b1bab148e5666376eb17177be75.jpg

I have eaten there since I was a kid and I would be lying if I said I’ve ever ordered anything other than a chopped brisket sandwich and fried okra. Not sure if you looked around at anyone else’s plates, but I’d be curious to know the ratio of chopped brisket sandwich to sliced brisket. Seems like sliced brisket is a fairly new phenomenon (at least as a “mainstream” thing) in East Texas. Im rarely up there anymore but I can’t remember ever seeing it served sliced there without being put on a sliced brisket sandwich lol.

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

Scholl Bros BBQ

00b07a0f4f771ab61c435d7cf3f3e052.jpg

0213df7bb9b092995e1f917a8fc8f848.jpg

2ff036e1a1068b75eaf0d1e0c2b333d9.jpg

Ribs were fine, sausage was fine, brisket (they use Creekstone Farms, same as Franklin) was excellent, as was the Texas Twinkie. Mexican corn was great and peach cobbler was solid. One of their house made sauces (i forget which one) was also stellar. Worthy of back to back top 50s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

4T’s BBQ, Forney

9ba35fce22dbc036ea0e50362610b5fc.jpg

7e309f3d074d75f44e25850dc8f5cf0e.jpg

Good not great. Not sure how this is TM Top 50

I tried it once and the disappointment was immediate.  It didn't make the 2022 list.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

4T’s BBQ, Forney

guy, you are going to a BBQ spot on a Tuesday expecting Top 50 food? come on man you should know better than that.

also they were not in the most recent top 50 nor honorable mentions - they last made it in 2017

http://thesmokingho.blogspot.com/p/2021-texas-monthly-top-50-bbq-list.html

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1gyk29UKH2TsUIsyAh-Y8iAOJGGyB_Rrr&ll=32.15959695117357%2C-96.39313092801277&z=10

59 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

4T’s BBQ, Forney

Repped for putting in the work but that does not look good. Definitely the sort of stuff that I'd chop up and mix up for tacos, stir fry, or some sort of hash.

Was in Ft Worth this past weekend for a wedding. Friends and family went to Panther City and got a couple of combo platters. They were out of ribs, but got several other things. Wasn't the best I've ever had, but pretty damn good. Definitely better than anything I can get around here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

abce6658a9c198f1c68d5b9a04554f91.jpg

7dfec6947ff28c55efd4d9384b2e9dc0.jpg

Slaughters BBQ, Sulphur Springs

Sold out of brisket when I got there at 1220 on a wednesday. Also sold out of all sides except the potato salad and jalapeno coleslaw (both were tits, btw). Serrano chile cheese sausage was top notch. Ribs were a tad overcooked but otherwise great. Golden oreo banana pudding was a nice end to the meal. Great great cue

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

abce6658a9c198f1c68d5b9a04554f91.jpg

7dfec6947ff28c55efd4d9384b2e9dc0.jpg

Slaughters BBQ, Sulphur Springs

Sold out of brisket when I got there at 1220 on a wednesday. Also sold out of all sides except the potato salad and jalapeno coleslaw (both were tits, btw). Serrano chile cheese sausage was top notch. Ribs were a tad overcooked but otherwise great. Golden oreo banana pudding was a nice end to the meal. Great great cue

Does this make three different joints in three days? What gives, Greenspoint? Are you on some sort of mediocre BBQ mecca? (In all seriousness, I live in Idaho, so I enjoy every update, be they good or bad.)

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I see your Bill Miller's and Dickey's.  Now I go all in with this.

image.thumb.png.9a0cc2768b5eecd123b2923b4a2f2989.png

Please note--as the sign clearly states--that this place is only famous for the parking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Does this make three different joints in three days? What gives, Greenspoint? Are you on some sort of mediocre BBQ mecca? (In all seriousness, I live in Idaho, so I enjoy every update, be they good or bad.)

Please note--as the sign clearly states--that this place is only famous for the parking.

All are TM Top 50 at one point in time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

woah

FWST: https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/eats-beat/article286656405.html

The Heims remain partners in the barbecue restaurants, but Travis Heim wrote in an email that running them night and day for 10 years has been “incredibly rewarding” but also “very taxing — mentally, physically and emotionally.”

+

“We’re excited about the prospects of not working 60+ hour weeks, spending more time with our young girls, and working on new projects that we didn’t have the time for previously,” Travis Heim wrote.