Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

WTF is going on here? Get your shit together and focus on Tom not telling Billy he could play any position he wants. He'd be our best KR & PR, top 3 WR, DB is likely the position that would take him the longest to play. 

You can’t seriously be dumb enough to think we told him he couldn’t play WR, can you? 

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Probably worried we would use him like we have Jake Smith, which is not enough and seemingly only across the middle.

WTF are you talking about? He was our most targeted WR in the one game he’s played this year and would’ve had over 100 yards and 2 TDs if he could catch the damn ball. Plus, Smith got plenty of deep shots in the limited playing time he earned last year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can’t seriously be dumb enough to think we told him he couldn’t play WR, can you? 

WTF are you talking about? He was our most targeted WR in the one game he’s played this year and would’ve had over 100 yards and 2 TDs if he could catch the damn ball. Plus, Smith got plenty of deep shots in the limited playing time he earned last year. 

Can you be sure about anything with Tom? 

Eric Nahlin: The timing of Billy Bowman’s de-commitment is telling

It would make much less logical sense if Billy Bowman de-committed from UT after it beats OU on Saturday, which is a very possible outcome. So it stands to reason he was out on Texas regardless, and probably in favor of OU for a while now.

There are two kinds of softball players, hot ones and ones who like hot ones. Andy Bernard, who could actually add emotional stability to a game thread, stumbled on to a similar observation, just in a different niche: “Women cannot resist a man singing show tunes. It's so powerful, even a lot of men can't resist a man singing show tunes.“ Billy is dating the first kind of softball player, at least I assume and hope for his sake, and she plays at OU.

OU offered the electric three-phase standout comically late. So late it made one wonder, why now? We found out our reason and after months of Denton Ryan sources, and Bowman himself, shooting down flip rumors, it finally happened. While Bowman probably had this on his mind for a while, Texas’ disappointing performances in successive weeks certainly made his decision easier for him. Bad Tom. Winning matters and nobody cares how really really hard it is.

The home field advantage UT enjoyed through having his commitment for well over a year doesn’t hold the same weight it normally does. Relationships aren’t as strong as they should be. You can’t cement relationships without spending time together in person and Covid coughed on that notion. Bowman wanting to play offense is a game changer in many ways. UT’s offense is attractive to slot receivers but it isn’t OU. The staff would readily oblige his intent to play wide receiver and it actually would have addressed a remaining need in the class, but now UT has two needs.

With the loss of Andrew Mukuba, another blown home field advantage (this is starting to feel like the 2019 World Series), Texas has limited options at the position. I maintain the roster isn’t as loaded as it might look and landing another safety is imperative. They might need two, and another corner.

This isn’t the end of the world. Bowman is a top-20-ish WR prospect to me, and a top 8 or so on defense. He profiles to being hell on wheels in the return game but slots and returners aren’t the most uncommon resource. The biggest thing for the program right now is winning on Saturday. It’s hard to overstate how big the game is and the reasons go beyond recruiting. But the Bowman development is an interesting footnote and more than just fans have noticed.

so with these changes at DB, does this mean we go back after Devin Lemear (Baylor commit)?

https://247sports.com/player/devin-lemear-46084311/

looking at 247 offers https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2021-Football/Offers/

the undecided CBs out there:

Ceyair Wright, Nyland Green (top 100 guys)

other committed CB targets? Deuce Harmon (A&M), Jalon Williams (BC)

Safety:

Sage Ryan (top 100), Terrion Arold (top 200)

Jardin Gilbert out of Baton Rouge who reports offers from Bama, #Clanga, OU, A&M, etc (https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jardin-Gilbert-130731/RecruitInterests/) and who I don't even remember us offering or ever being discussed here? edit: i was wrong he has been discussed a decent amount here - see bottom

other committed Safety targets? Mukuba (maybe? probably not), Lemear (Baylor)

edit: Lyrik Rawls from Marshall has been listed as another potential option before in this thread

https://247sports.com/Player/Lyrik-Rawls-46080687/

///

overall the picture out there at DB right now is

tenor.gif?itemid=4402284

///

edit here are the J Gilbert comments in this thread

Spoiler

Texas made his top like 20

but we missed his top 5:

Satya said he was the backup for most of the SEC

Fud says we passed on him to focus on Mukuba

golfclap and ricky like him

fud on potential backups at DB

more golfclap

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

so with these changes at DB, does this mean we go back after Devin Lemear (Baylor commit)?

https://247sports.com/player/devin-lemear-46084311/

looking at 247 offers https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2021-Football/Offers/

the undecided CBs out there:

Ceyair Wright, Nyland Green (top 100 guys)

other committed CB targets? Deuce Harmon (A&M), Jalon Williams (BC)

Safety:

Sage Ryan (top 100), Terrion Arold (top 200)

Jardin Gilbert out of Baton Rouge who reports offers from Bama, #Clanga, OU, A&M, etc (https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jardin-Gilbert-130731/RecruitInterests/) and who I don't even remember us offering or ever being discussed here? edit: i was wrong he has been discussed a decent amount here - see bottom

other committed Safety targets? Mukuba (maybe? probably not), Lemear (Baylor)

edit: Lyrik Rawls from Marshall has been listed as another potential option before in this thread

https://247sports.com/Player/Lyrik-Rawls-46080687/

///

overall the picture out there at DB right now is

tenor.gif?itemid=4402284

///

edit here are the J Gilbert comments in this thread

Hide contents

Texas made his top like 20

but we missed his top 5:

Satya said he was the backup for most of the SEC

Fud says we passed on him to focus on Mukuba

golfclap and ricky like him

fud on potential backups at DB

more golfclap

Good post.

Rawls and Lemear will certainly be getting calls. So will Nwokobia, probably. Deuce Harmon is over. Considering Billy was a hybrid corner take, it's most likely that we end up with 1-2 more CB takes and 0-1 more safety takes. 

If we are replacing apples for apples, Lemear is not the rangy, pass defending safety that Mukuba is projected to be. I still think that Jamier Johnson is more Nickel than corner, so if he backfills that need, I think we're hoping for some combination of Jalon Williams, flipping Hunter Washington (long shot), reinvesting in Ceyair Wright and the current SC commits, and trying to convince Alton McCaskill he could go to the NFL as a safety. We could also attempt that approach with guys like De'Anthony Lewis or Caleb Berry. 

Current info says Gilbert is going SEC, Arnold is going SEC, Ryan is going to LSU, and Rawls wasn't interested the first time around. Same could be said of Nwokobia. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

That and Rattler has looked like hot garbage and this is their "future" at QB.

I don’t get why people keep saying this other than UT fans just hoping it’s true. He’s struggled a ton in crunch time and made inexperienced mistakes, but the dude is playing very well overall. Even if you take out MO St., he’s  344 YPG at 71% for 8.9 Y/A. OU’s offense is #3 in the country even though they’re only running for 3.6 YPC and their OL isn’t very good pass blocking. 
He’s hurting them with turnovers and crunch time play, but he’s only started 3 games in his career. That stuff will go down in time, and when it does, he’ll be an elite QB. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t get why people keep saying this other than UT fans just hoping it’s true. He’s struggled a ton in crunch time and made inexperienced mistakes, but the dude is playing very well overall. Even if you take out MO St., he’s  344 YPG at 71% for 8.9 Y/A. OU’s offense is #3 in the country even though they’re only running for 3.6 YPC and their OL isn’t very good pass blocking. 
He’s hurting them with turnovers and crunch time play, but he’s only started 3 games in his career. That stuff will go down in time, and when it does, he’ll be an elite QB. 

It's the turnovers.  He forces shit and I'm not sure that will change.  He has too much confidence in his arm, but we'll see.

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's the turnovers.  He forces shit and I'm not sure that will change.  He has too much confidence in his arm, but we'll see.

He’s 3 games into his career. Every young QB struggles with that stuff. The odds are a lot higher he cleans it up than it sticks with him forever. Regardless, the dude’s been elite in non-crunch time and still been very good overall. Saying he’s looked like hot garbage and OU can’t sell him as the future at QB is pretty absurd. It’s their defense that’s hot garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

That and Rattler has looked like hot garbage and this is their "future" at QB.

if you look at Spencer Rattler and think he is hot garbage you need to take off your orange colored glasses.

OU is currently #3 in OFEI

here is a valuable thread for you to read

their per drive stats are quite good, right behind Texas on points per drive, TD rate, very low punt rate (16.7% of drives) - in part because they have the highest TO rate / drive by far (contributing to their v low punt rate), but they average the most yards per drive in the b12 and have aa very high yardage rate.

this is non garbage time drives only

their defense is just very, very bad.

for god's sake, they are averaging over 7 yards per play, almost 29% of their plays go for over 10 yards and you think they aren't good on offense?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Think he was probably aware of that when he committed?

Probably to that point I agree, but do you think he maybe thought that we were finally going to breakthrough and OU possibly not winning the conference this year doesn't really change the fact that they are in a way better position program wise than us?

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Think he was probably aware of that when he committed?

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Probably to that point I agree, but do you think he maybe thought that we were finally going to breakthrough and OU possibly not winning the conference this year doesn't really change the fact that they are in a way better position program wise than us?

Yeah, every coach in the country besides Bama, Clemson, or tOSU is selling that their program is on the rise and just wait til next year and then think how good we’ll be when you get here, but if your team looks as bad as ours does, then it kills trust and credibility with that coaching staff. I have no doubt Herman and co. were selling that this year would be our year with a Senior Sam and a lot of upperclassmen talent for the first time since Herman got here, and recruits have been hearing that pitch all offseason and now they see this shitshow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We don’t get pressure on the QB so we aren’t rattling him. Our corners continue to line up 8 yards off giving quick throws. If Max fucking duggan shit all over us. Rattler will do so with ease unless we start pressing and letting ossai get there. This will be another 48-42 53-42 type game where defense is at home playing warzone on call of duty 

TFB- Thirst Thursday

Spoiler

Billy Bowman …

So, he finally decided to go through with it. 

While the de-commitment of Billy Bowman from Texas may come as a surprise to many, I’ve always expected Bowman to at the bare minimum decide to take official visits to other programs later in the process. When you stop and look at the facts as it pertains to Bowman the paper trail was there.

I’ve seen Bowman in person four times now. Two of those occasions were at camps and Bowman, who is listed as an ATH and stars on both sides of the ball for his high school team, chose to spend the entire duration of each camp playing Wide Receiver. Bowman committed to Texas to play Defensive Back and at the time Jason Washington was the Defensive Backs Coach at Texas. In my opinion, it’s clear as day Bowman wants to play Wide Receiver and I knew it back then. That’ was red flag #1.

Red Flag #2 is something that’s out of anyone’s control. Bowman dates a player on the Softball Team at Oklahoma and has for dating back to when both were still in High School. Bowman has been on the Oklahoma campus while being committed to Texas. You would have to be extremely naïve to believe that Bowman never “bumped into” any Oklahoma Football staff members whenever he was in town. Don’t forget this tweet back in July:

A Texas Defensive Back commitment of nearly a full calendar year was thankful to “earn” an offer from Oklahoma and he used Cee Dee Lamb for the photo. 

Alarms should have been full-fledged going off for folks at that point. 

When you add into the equation that Jay Valai was not his initial recruiter and you couple that with the absolute failure that the development of the 2018 Defensive Back class has been … it’s not difficult at all to understand a young man deciding to follow his heart (both on the field and off) AND do it for a program that has proven they can help him reach his dreams in the development department at that position.

One more thing happened that I think finished this thing for Texas: For the first time in forever, Oklahoma doesn’t really have a star #1 Receiver and their leading guy, Charleston Rambo, is a Senior. Bowman can now not only be told about playing time opportunities, he can see it. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this one go down very soon, like this weekend soon to capitalize on momentum if Oklahoma pulls out a victory.

This one is a very tough pill to swallow for Texas and you know I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you all need to keep an eye on his teammate as well. 

More recruiting

Spoiler

Today’s Thirsty Thursday is going to be straight to the point. The focus is on recruiting with some updates on a few targets and I have a couple of new names to take a look at in 2021 as well.

Let’s get started. 

2021 4-Star Defensive Tackle Albert Regis is slated to announce his decision at noon during this year’s Red River Shootout. Regis has a final grouping of Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Houston, Texas Tech, and Mississippi. 

Regis was committed early in the process to Minnesota but decided to open things up in the spring. While Texas threw their hat into the ring at that point, it’s never felt like the Longhorns have ever really pushed here. I’m currently not expecting Regis to add his name to the commitment list. 

From everything I understand now, 2021 4-Star Defensive End David Abiara is solidified with his commitment to Notre Dame. There was a time where it looked like he would be flipping his commitment to Oklahoma, then it looked like Texas may have become the quiet leader. As things currently stand, I’m expecting him to stick with the Irish.

I’m still working to get in touch with 2021 3-Star Defensive Tackle Ike Iwunnah who doesn’t seem to speak much publicly at all. Texas still has a committable offer out to Iwunnah.

2022 Defensive End Curlee Thomas continues to rack up the offers. Thomas is a kid whose stock is only going to continue to rise as he accumulates more footage. He’s playing on a Nolan Catholic team that has State Championship talent and will be getting a lot of exposure this season. Thomas grew up a Texas fan and the Longhorns would have the inside track if they were to decide to extend an offer in the near future. I worry that the longer they wait, the more they’ll end up hurting their chances here. 

2022 5-Star Offensive Tackle Devon Campbell gave me a quick update, although he’s primarily focused on his season right now. He says he’s been hearing from “a ton of schools,” and recently picked up an offer from Georgia that really has him excited. Texas remains in a good position with Campbell at this early stage.

2022 4-Star Offensive Lineman Cole Hutson is a guy who recently picked up a Texas offer, along with many others, and he’s been really busy with trying to get to know as many staffs as he can at this early stage. Hutson’s father was a pitcher at Arizona State, but the younger Hutson has the feel of a guy that will play his college ball in the South instead of out West. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and TCU are among the names vying for Hutson’s attention right now. Texas is going to have as good of a chance as anyone if they can perform on the field. 

P.S. If it makes you all feel any better, I think Texas is going to kick some ass this weekend.

Hook’Em.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Let me introduce you to freshman year Sam...

Soph. Colt McCoy scoffs in your general direction then throws a pick. 

Rattler is really fucking good and can make some throws that are pure NFL. He's got a great blend of arm strength and touch. I think he's probably always going to be a guy that turns it over a bit. Maybe not as bad as Favre or Elway but in that realm. He's going to throw for a trillion yards and TDs in his 3 seasons at OU before heading to the NFL. The freshman mistakes he makes - a couple of the turnovers and more often bailing the pocket when there isn't actually pressure are pretty universal. 

Also, fuck OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

You hate to put too much importance on any one game, but it feels like this thing is really going to spiral the drain quickly if we lose to OU's worst team in a decade on Saturday.

As long as we aren't on the mediocrity treadmill. I'm fine with boom or bust. Hopefully boom.

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Soph. Colt McCoy scoffs in your general direction then throws a pick. 

Rattler is really fucking good and can make some throws that are pure NFL. He's got a great blend of arm strength and touch. I think he's probably always going to be a guy that turns it over a bit. Maybe not as bad as Favre or Elway but in that realm. He's going to throw for a trillion yards and TDs in his 3 seasons at OU before heading to the NFL. The freshman mistakes he makes - a couple of the turnovers and more often bailing the pocket when there isn't actually pressure are pretty universal. 

Also, fuck OU. 

Is his arm comparable to Card’s

39 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB- Thirst Thursday

Reveal hidden contents

Billy Bowman …

So, he finally decided to go through with it. 

While the de-commitment of Billy Bowman from Texas may come as a surprise to many, I’ve always expected Bowman to at the bare minimum decide to take official visits to other programs later in the process. When you stop and look at the facts as it pertains to Bowman the paper trail was there.

I’ve seen Bowman in person four times now. Two of those occasions were at camps and Bowman, who is listed as an ATH and stars on both sides of the ball for his high school team, chose to spend the entire duration of each camp playing Wide Receiver. Bowman committed to Texas to play Defensive Back and at the time Jason Washington was the Defensive Backs Coach at Texas. In my opinion, it’s clear as day Bowman wants to play Wide Receiver and I knew it back then. That’ was red flag #1.

Red Flag #2 is something that’s out of anyone’s control. Bowman dates a player on the Softball Team at Oklahoma and has for dating back to when both were still in High School. Bowman has been on the Oklahoma campus while being committed to Texas. You would have to be extremely naïve to believe that Bowman never “bumped into” any Oklahoma Football staff members whenever he was in town. Don’t forget this tweet back in July:

A Texas Defensive Back commitment of nearly a full calendar year was thankful to “earn” an offer from Oklahoma and he used Cee Dee Lamb for the photo. 

Alarms should have been full-fledged going off for folks at that point. 

When you add into the equation that Jay Valai was not his initial recruiter and you couple that with the absolute failure that the development of the 2018 Defensive Back class has been … it’s not difficult at all to understand a young man deciding to follow his heart (both on the field and off) AND do it for a program that has proven they can help him reach his dreams in the development department at that position.

One more thing happened that I think finished this thing for Texas: For the first time in forever, Oklahoma doesn’t really have a star #1 Receiver and their leading guy, Charleston Rambo, is a Senior. Bowman can now not only be told about playing time opportunities, he can see it. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this one go down very soon, like this weekend soon to capitalize on momentum if Oklahoma pulls out a victory.

This one is a very tough pill to swallow for Texas and you know I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you all need to keep an eye on his teammate as well. 

More recruiting

Reveal hidden contents

Today’s Thirsty Thursday is going to be straight to the point. The focus is on recruiting with some updates on a few targets and I have a couple of new names to take a look at in 2021 as well.

Let’s get started. 

2021 4-Star Defensive Tackle Albert Regis is slated to announce his decision at noon during this year’s Red River Shootout. Regis has a final grouping of Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Houston, Texas Tech, and Mississippi. 

Regis was committed early in the process to Minnesota but decided to open things up in the spring. While Texas threw their hat into the ring at that point, it’s never felt like the Longhorns have ever really pushed here. I’m currently not expecting Regis to add his name to the commitment list. 

From everything I understand now, 2021 4-Star Defensive End David Abiara is solidified with his commitment to Notre Dame. There was a time where it looked like he would be flipping his commitment to Oklahoma, then it looked like Texas may have become the quiet leader. As things currently stand, I’m expecting him to stick with the Irish.

I’m still working to get in touch with 2021 3-Star Defensive Tackle Ike Iwunnah who doesn’t seem to speak much publicly at all. Texas still has a committable offer out to Iwunnah.

2022 Defensive End Curlee Thomas continues to rack up the offers. Thomas is a kid whose stock is only going to continue to rise as he accumulates more footage. He’s playing on a Nolan Catholic team that has State Championship talent and will be getting a lot of exposure this season. Thomas grew up a Texas fan and the Longhorns would have the inside track if they were to decide to extend an offer in the near future. I worry that the longer they wait, the more they’ll end up hurting their chances here. 

2022 5-Star Offensive Tackle Devon Campbell gave me a quick update, although he’s primarily focused on his season right now. He says he’s been hearing from “a ton of schools,” and recently picked up an offer from Georgia that really has him excited. Texas remains in a good position with Campbell at this early stage.

2022 4-Star Offensive Lineman Cole Hutson is a guy who recently picked up a Texas offer, along with many others, and he’s been really busy with trying to get to know as many staffs as he can at this early stage. Hutson’s father was a pitcher at Arizona State, but the younger Hutson has the feel of a guy that will play his college ball in the South instead of out West. Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and TCU are among the names vying for Hutson’s attention right now. Texas is going to have as good of a chance as anyone if they can perform on the field. 

P.S. If it makes you all feel any better, I think Texas is going to kick some ass this weekend.

Hook’Em.

He repeatedly kicked us in the dick and finished with "don't worry, it'll swell up real nice".

• Hook 'Em 1