The Portal is Fool’s Gold

Fastbreak

I’ve seen so make takes about how we need to hit the portal hard to get this rebuild going faster. This is folly. The portal isn’t free agency where you open the check book and sign a bunch of stars.

There are 3 types of players in the portal:

1. The guy who can’t crack the lineup on his current team.

2. The malcontent.

3. The smaller school guy who wants a shot at the big time.

An example of #2 is Josh Moore. Some team’s fan base is going to celebrating picking him up, “we got a former 4 star with lots of catches and TDs at Texas!” But we all know he will probably do more harm than good on his next stop.

The portal can be useful to fill small gaps in recruiting (like the lineman we picked up from Rice a few years ago (see #3)), but it isn’t the answer. Recruiting the right HS players nationally and keeping the cigars out of chasing star rankings and then developing them is how we get back on track.

• Hook 'Em 7

I agree with you for the most part. Is it possible to find a guy to portal in that is elite? Yeah sure...but that is the exception and not the rule. Most of the guys are #1 or #2 and maybe help with depth, but aren't some world beater. Are they better than what you have on campus? Possibly or likely so if you are taking them, but again that doesn't mean they are game changers. Just look at the transfers we took on defense this year. Nothing special. But then you look at a guy like Xavier Worthy and hope that you can find other guys like that.

And yes absolutely right about recruiting. You gotta find guys that not only buy in, but stick it out and play 3-4 years. You need the culture and the consistency. We certainly don't have that at all. And it desperately shows.

There will be good starters who portal off P5 teams whose coach got fired.  There will be other good starters who just want a change of scenery or to get closer to home.    There will be backups off good really teams who are better than other teams’ starters.   There will even be one good player who transfers for a masters degree program.   We should aggressively go after any of these who can fill some of the gaping holes in our roster.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

There will be good starters who portal off P5 teams whose coach got fired.  There will be other good starters who just want a change of scenery or to get closer to home.    There will be backups off good really teams who are better than other teams’ starters.   There will even be one good player who transfers for a masters degree program.   We should aggressively go after any of these who can fill some of the gaping holes in our roster.  

I considered putting “closer to home” as #4. I agree that is something you can use to get a better player (hopefully Ewers). But that case is pretty rare and it brings in some possible tampering issues.

1) Texas is not “too good” to use the portal.

2) schools that utilize the portal well win stuff.

3) the portal is great for lack of depth and filling in some gaps until recruits can do so and be coached up.

4) worthy much? Hello? 

It is the job of the coaching staff to evaluate those players and the areas of need. We aren’t Alabama where we are turning players away.the portal can be a great thing if used effectively. It remains to be seen how well out coaching staff will use it. We can’t afford to be snobs about the portal. We just got our fucking asses beat down by Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

In a lot of cases, we don't need total studs.  We just need serviceable, as in linemen.  

Yeah, Texas isn't trying to build a championship team right now. Just a serviceable team. Serviceable players are better than shit players. 

Long-term.... taking as many portal players as Texas will this next cycle isn't the answer but it's what you have to do when your roster is this bad. 

3) the portal is great for lack of depth and filling in some gaps until recruits can do so and be coached up.
4) worthy much? Hello? 

It is the job of the coaching staff to evaluate those players and the areas of need. We aren’t Alabama where we are turning players away.the portal can be a great thing if used effectively. It remains to be seen how well out coaching staff will use it. We can’t afford to be snobs about the portal. We just got our fucking asses beat down by Kansas.

Even Bama got some starters from the portal this past year.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

For now the portal will bring in improvements over what is on the roster now.

And when utilized well, meaning when a legitimate stud is available, the portal is a great weapon.

I agree the portal is generally fool's gold but with this roster no stone can be left unturned. 

That'll be seven dollars and 53 cents, please.

You're welcome.

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We won’t get any of those transfers though. 

• Haha 1

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I considered putting “closer to home” as #4. I agree that is something you can use to get a better player (hopefully Ewers). But that case is pretty rare and it brings in some possible tampering issues.

Counterpoint. MSU sent over 20 players into the portal last offseason and took like 20 incoming players. They went from a 2 win team to a 9+ win team in 1 year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I agree with you for the most part. Is it possible to find a guy to portal in that is elite? Yeah sure...but that is the exception and not the rule. Most of the guys are #1 or #2 and maybe help with depth, but aren't some world beater. Are they better than what you have on campus? Possibly or likely so if you are taking them, but again that doesn't mean they are game changers. Just look at the transfers we took on defense this year. Nothing special. But then you look at a guy like Xavier Worthy and hope that you can find other guys like that.

And yes absolutely right about recruiting. You gotta find guys that not only buy in, but stick it out and play 3-4 years. You need the culture and the consistency. We certainly don't have that at all. And it desperately shows.

Well as CDC said, we only have 52% of the 2018 and 46% of the 2019 class.  He didn't mention how sorry the 2021 class was as a whole.

44 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

4) worthy much? Hello? 

Georgia got JT Daniels from USC.  Last year they got the Wake Forest QB as a grad transfer (but Justin Fields convinced him to make a bad decision and sit out the Covid year).  They lost Justin Fields and Jacob Eason.  They had a defensive starter from UAB a couple years ago.

Alabama has some players who are transfers.  

If you aren't using it, you are tying your hands behind your back.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

You've got the old rules.  There are no sports excluded.  They just changed that.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Tell that to Michigan State

Agreed... Portal has some good players -- Possible Heisman

How Kenneth Walker III went from Wake Forest to Michigan State | College GameDay

Kenneth Walker III, RB, Michigan State

Season stats: 197 carries, 1,330 yards, 15 TD

Walker still leads the country in total rushing yards and rushing yards per game through nine games of his season. His 146 rushing yards against the Boilermakers were nearly exactly his season average, as was his 6.35 yards per rush and one touchdown. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tell it to Baylor as well

Yeah, Baylor's OL success this year is a direct result of adding two transfers...

"Not only do Jacob Gall and Grant Miller have a wealth of experience under their belts as fifth-year transfers from Buffalo and Vanderbilt, respectively, they also have the versatility to play any of the three interior positions in Baylor's offensive line." 

Baylor's 2021 success tied directly to improved offensive line play 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/10/13/baylor-s-2021-success-ties-directly-to-improved-offensive-line-play?ref=article_preview_img

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, Baylor's OL success this year is a direct result of adding two transfers...

"Not only do Jacob Gall and Grant Miller have a wealth of experience under their belts as fifth-year transfers from Buffalo and Vanderbilt, respectively, they also have the versatility to play any of the three interior positions in Baylor's offensive line." 

Baylor's 2021 success tied directly to improved offensive line play 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/10/13/baylor-s-2021-success-ties-directly-to-improved-offensive-line-play?ref=article_preview_img

Unpossible.  I was told the portal is fool's gold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I’ve seen so make takes about how we need to hit the portal hard to get this rebuild going faster. This is folly. The portal isn’t free agency where you open the check book and sign a bunch of stars.

There are 3 types of players in the portal:

1. The guy who can’t crack the lineup on his current team.

2. The malcontent.

3. The smaller school guy who wants a shot at the big time.

An example of #2 is Josh Moore. Some team’s fan base is going to celebrating picking him up, “we got a former 4 star with lots of catches and TDs at Texas!” But we all know he will probably do more harm than good on his next stop.

The portal can be useful to fill small gaps in recruiting (like the lineman we picked up from Rice a few years ago (see #3)), but it isn’t the answer. Recruiting the right HS players nationally and keeping the cigars out of chasing star rankings and then developing them is how we get back on track.

Sark's crew should be scouring the country for #3, especially on both lines and at QB. Not to compete for anything next year but to be able to run off the players who aren't bought in and replace them with experienced guys who are motivated to show they have something at this level. Goal is to burn the bad culture out and get a good culture and a few leaders in.

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Sark's crew should be scouring the country for #3, especially on both lines and at QB. Not to compete for anything next year but to be able to run off the players who aren't bought in and replace them with experienced guys who are motivated to show they have something at this level. Goal is to burn the bad culture out and get a good culture and a few leaders in.

i agree, that is where I think we get the culture guysl  Guy who have chips on their shoulders with something to prove.  It's a very tricky thing for Sark to manage and i think he has less than a month to make it happen under the new rules.

The portal is useful as fuck, but the main problem is that kids that are a 4 or 5 star recruit have a god complex when they step on campus of "look at me! Big man on campus! I should play right away I'm so good..."  They fail to grasp that once you get to college the stars go away. It doesn't matter how highly recruited you were. It's now a level playing field.

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

sonny-dykes.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

SMU knows how to use the portal to their advantage. Texas needs to do the same thing. Recruit every kid, no matter what star, in their metropolitan area(even ones they know they have no chance of signing), get them on campus for multiple visits, get their family on campus to meet the coaching staff and tour the facilities, and stay in touch with them at best as possible. That way, if they committed to Bama, USC, OU, etc. and they bust or don't get playing time and end up in the portal, Sark and his staff can reach out and sell them on why coming to Texas is best. Most kids want playing time, so promise them that and it'll pique their interest.