• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

This is the best, most concise summary of their coaching search. It skips the Stoops fiasco, which was pure entertainment, but it still sums it up.

And @Chuckie Finster is absolutely correct - If they had announced Elko the day after Jimbo was fired, the reaction would have been the same as what we saw Saturday when the Stoops story surfaced.

Don't buy any of their bullshit in the next 48 hours about getting their first choice.  They swung for the fences, convinced that they are one of the biggest of the big dogs and top coaches would be lining up for the opportunity, and whiffed completely.

look at the difference between how OU handled it and out A&M handled it though

everyone believes OU went big game hunting when Riley left. they ended up "settling" for Venables. they could tell the whole world he was their first choice because there wasn't jack out in public that showed they talked to 8 other people before him.

the same with A&M except their dumbass AD went out and told the entire universe they were interviewing a ton of people, hired a guy, got it rescinded by the BOR, then ran to the guy who had publicly turned them down at least once before and had to "settle" for him.

they created the situation by firing Jimbo clearly with NO PLAN, negotiated against themselves publicy, handled the situation as poorly as i can possibly imagine, and ended up looking like crap everywhere and pissed off their own players to make it even worse. and Bjork has now tied his wagon directly to Venables.

meanwhile, joe castiglione was caught flat footed by Riley leaving and ran a better search much more quietly and can move on when/if venables fails. venables failing != joe c failing.

how Ross Bjork has a job today is beyond me. those clowns need to reassign him to be the AD at A&M-Qatar yesterday.

they should offer Joe Castiglione the AD job for what they were paying Jimbo and laugh their way to the bank, but they wont and probably end up somehow re-hiring Bill Byrne or RC as their next AD.

thank god they keep actually successful people away from their athletic department or they might actually find a way to become relevant more than twice every 80 years.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3426578

The sips are scared of this hire.
5,982 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by ATM9000
HJack207:00aAG
They know Elko has the ability to win at an elite level. They are scared of the 2024 game.

there is no single fanbase that projects their fears on others as much as A&M

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've not seen any family or friends excited about this at all either online, or a few aggy that I was around this morning when dropping kids off at school (and 2 out of the 3 didn't even realize they had a new coach), and the fact that they snuck him in during the middle of the night speaks volumes about how they feel about this.  They are embarrassed.

There was nothing stopping them from bringing him in after 9am, or even better late in the afternoon when they would have had more than enough time to get something together (band, football players, BMDs, news crews, etc.).

They are fucking embarrassed by this hire.

This past weekend and coaching hire are ~#350 on the list of things that school needs to be embarrassed about.  

• Hook 'Em 2

As a Duke guy, we really liked Elko, but knew he would take this job if offered, if only for the guarantee if it doesn't work out.  Worst case, he's on the Tom Herman/Kevin Sumlin track and gets another job after A&M.

I just don't see him as an A&M guy.  Look, what he did at Duke was awesome.  He took pretty much the same roster on defense from the previous year and made it salty.  He was gifted a really, really, good QB in Riley Leonard, and some mid to late round NFL talent at RB to have a pretty good offense to go along with the culture shift he created on defense.  He hit the portal and made the defense even better this year.  But when Leonard went down, the season went off a cliff (and it was also a crazy tough schedule).  But he is a northeast/Big 10 personality that will have to deal with the West Texas/East Texas oil money rednecks.  The culture fit just doesn't seem great as a HC, where as a DC, it mattered less, if at all.

All that said, if the NIL train over there keeps chugging along, and he gets a really strong OC, if they take all of the that off of his plate and let him be a coach, who knows what will happen?  I just don't see this as anything but a bandaid.

It sucks that I can't really hate the Aggie coach, though.  Elko is a good dude.  He just needs to be careful because he is very much on the Mangino/Friedgen trajectory.    

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

everyone believes OU went big game hunting when Riley left. they ended up "settling" for Venables. they could tell the whole world he was their first choice because there wasn't jack out in public that showed they talked to 8 other people before him.

the same with A&M except their dumbass AD went out and told the entire universe they were interviewing a ton of people, hired a guy, got it rescinded by the BOR, then ran to the guy who had publicly turned them down at least once before and had to "settle" for him.

they created the situation by firing Jimbo clearly with NO PLAN, negotiated against themselves publicy, handled the situation as poorly as i can possibly imagine, and ended up looking like crap everywhere and pissed off their own players to make it even worse. and Bjork has now tied his wagon directly to Venables.

meanwhile, joe castiglione was caught flat footed by Riley leaving and ran a better search much more quietly and can move on when/if venables fails. venables failing != joe c failing.

how Ross Bjork has a job today is beyond me. those clowns need to reassign him to be the AD at A&M-Qatar yesterday.

they should offer Joe Castiglione the AD job for what they were paying Jimbo and laugh their way to the bank, but they wont and probably end up somehow re-hiring Bill Byrne or RC as their next AD.

thank god they keep actually successful people away from their athletic department or they might actually find a way to become relevant more than twice every 80 years.

Yep.  The way CDC handled the Herman termination and rollout of Sark was telling.  It was obvious that we had professionals in charge, and CDC knew the assignment.  He didn't tip his hand by terminating Herman and then broadcasting to the world that Texas had an opening.  That alone allowed Texas to negotiate with some leverage.  Sure, there were rumors that Herman was going to get fired, but that just comes with the territory at a school like Texas when the football program is underperforming.  Nobody except those in the know knew that we already had Sark locked up when it came time to show Herman the door.

Indeed, aggy had no plan - they just decided to shitcan Jimbo on a whim a few weeks ago and hoped it all worked out.  That's a textbook case of magical thinking, and magical thinking almost never works out.  Perhaps Elko will work out for them in the end, but I wouldn't take those odds.  They're probably about the same as me winning the lottery and getting to sleep with Kate Upton.

Edited by orangebird
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The self awareness is scary.

image.png.7a34608158afb38e40f775674ddd4a71.png

Why would Elko be scared?  He's probably going to get 30 million guaranteed, and only have to serve 3 years of that sentence. If he does somehow succeed with a couple of 8-9 win seasons, he will get another 50 million guaranteed before the program nosedives back into mediocrity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

NSIAP, but is gold Jerry!  Gold!

In hiring Mike Elko, Texas A&M football shows it's more Michigan State than Michigan

Mike Elko averaged eight wins in two seasons at Duke. Aggies athletic director Ross Bjork says Texas A&M is 'not an 8-4 job.'

Texas A&M settling for Elko is a humbling reminder that, despite all of its resources, it’s closer to being Michigan State than Michigan.

Two years ago, LSU and Southern Cal stealthily raided blueblood programs to make shocking hires. In contrast, the Aggies walked through Duke’s front door of snagged a coach from a basketball school.

simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, orangebird said:

aggy had no plan - they just decided to shitcan Jimbo on a whim a few weeks ago and hoped it all worked out

Exactly.  They believed they could wish (insist!) themselves into being a top-tier program, and then were shocked when Lanning/Deboer/Harbaugh/Saban/Belichik/Lombardi wouldn't take their calls.

8 minutes ago, orangebird said:

and getting to sleep with Kate Upton

Keep your filthy mind-mitts off my Kate.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

They need to get the old band back together!

bill-byrnejpg-cb3cdfcd4e4ac785.jpg

This goofy bastard was just absolutely perfect for that place.

I remember in his "Weekly Wednesday" column when he had to tell aggie fans that they could no longer bring bass boat seats into the stadium to use as stadium seats. I mean...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Yep.  The way CDC handled the Herman termination and rollout of Sark was telling.  It was obvious that we had professionals in charge, and CDC knew the assignment.  He didn't tip his hand by terminating Herman and then broadcasting to the world that Texas had an opening.  That alone allowed Texas to negotiate with some leverage.  Sure, there were rumors that Herman was going to get fired, but that just comes with the territory at a school like Texas when the football program is underperforming.  Nobody except those in the know knew that we already had Sark locked up when it came time to show Herman the door.

Indeed, aggy had no plan - they just decided to shitcan Jimbo on a whim a few weeks ago and hoped it all worked out.  That's a textbook case of magical thinking, and magical thinking almost never works out.  Perhaps Elko will work out for them in the end, but I wouldn't take those odds.  They're probably about the same as me winning the lottery and getting to sleep with Kate Upton.

Per a few Maroon acquaintances, his days were done after the Miami game.  That's the spin anyway.  The problem was after the MSU game, they had a cupcake to allow the interim to settle in and also prep for the LSU game.  They couldn't allow for the possibility of Fisher winning the LSU game - making it seemingly more difficult to get rid of him.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

OU has their shit together.  It’s no coincidence they left with Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Elko is the perfect fit for aggy.  As has been mentioned, he KNOWS what he is getting into and he “gets” them. That is what is most important to them.

He’s seen behind the curtain, and he quickly made the decision to come back even after all of the fuckery that’s gone on this weekend.

That’s a guy who “gets them.” At the end of the day, that’s the best they can ask for—someone who gets them and isn’t running in the opposite direction. 

Aggy spin so good they even got Texas fans believing it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HeyMcFly said:

Aggy spin so good they even got Texas fans believing it

I don't think so.  When they fired Jimbo, plenty of Texas fans said they thought that Elko and Traylor would be obvious choices as a "good fit" but that the ags would somehow screw that up and do something different and stupid.  And, well, they did.

But ultimately they ended up with one of the coaches that folks on here predicted weeks ago.  

Just because he's a decent coach and a "good fit" doesn't mean anyone in Austin is drinking any koolaid.  This is a guy who will consistently field teams that Sarkisian will have no problem dismantling and dismembering.  The ags' 8-4 ceiling probably just dropped to 7-5.  They better make sure there are no App States on future schedules...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

He’s a pussy. Any coach who does that is a reeking STD infested pussy. Be a man, talk to your team. Fuck him.

Quoted for truth. There was zero urgency in this hire. If he can't wait a few hours to get on that shitty jet and jump in that shitty f150 to head to his new gig just so he can tell his team he's leaving then fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 6

45 minutes ago, orangebird said:

So Urban really was a myth?

Given all the laughter at aggy"s expense, we're probably less than 24 hours from an aggressive Looch article wherein he compares the hires of Elko and Sark and reaches the conclusion that objectively Elko is a much more justifiable hire, and any mocking you here coming from Austin is driven by fear and jealousy.

• Hook 'Em 4

I think this was the best, and most obvious, hire they could make from the start.

That said, he's massively unproven as a HC at this level.

Objectively, Charlie Strong had a better resume as both a DC and HC when he was hired at Texas.  Herman as an OC/HC, as well.

Let that sink in when aggy says we should be scared about the hire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Imagine spending 90 million dollars to hire Mike elko

to get them to . . . 8-4.

Reminds me of Pink Floyd’s the Wall beginning and ending “Isn’t this where . . . we came in.”  The whole doomed to repeat the mess cycle message.

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

So Urban really was a myth?

No, they mythed out on Urban.

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Michigan State comparison is really unfair. They were smart enough to get out from under the dumb ass contract they prematurely handed out.

Was this lady a setup to get him fired?

Did the torpedo their own guy to get out of that contract?

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think so.  When they fired Jimbo, plenty of Texas fans said they thought that Elko and Traylor would be obvious choices as a "good fit" but that the ags would somehow screw that up and do something different and stupid.  And, well, they did.

But ultimately they ended up with one of the coaches that folks on here predicted weeks ago.  

Just because he's a decent coach and a "good fit" doesn't mean anyone in Austin is drinking any koolaid.  This is a guy who will consistently field teams that Sarkisian will have no problem dismantling and dismembering.  The ags' 8-4 ceiling probably just dropped to 7-5.  They better make sure there are no App States on future schedules...

I mean, they really should go 8-4 at worst next year. Their schedule is super favorable. No Alabama, Georgia or Ole Miss, and their four toughest games (ND, LSU, Texas and Missouri) are all at home. ND and LSU are relatively down, and although we should be better than A&M on paper, it's worth acknowledging that we have to replace a fuck ton of talent on both sides of the ball next year. If they can't get to 8 wins next year, it's a really bad sign for them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Reese Bennett said:

I'd be more fearful if he was behind me. Getting body-checked into the potato bar by a guy hell-bent on getting to the gravy station is no fun.

Or just the bar-bar.  Lots of hardened liver in that whiskey and carb belly.