Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Haha. Just wanted to share it cause if true, it's got to be the strangest coaching decisions of all time and I had never heard it before this year. 

Royal came out and straight said he taught blowU the wishbone. Its maybe the biggest wtf moment in the history of the rivalry and almost never gets talked about

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Royal came out and straight said he taught blowU the wishbone. Its maybe the biggest wtf moment in the history of the rivalry and almost never gets talked about

That’s when the Horns had a seven game winning streak going against those cheaters.

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Crazy, right? @RomaVicta I did a cursory search on the internet and there seems to be some indication that this actually happened, which is kind of incredible.

This site is called "The History of Longhorn Sports: "Coach Royal teaches OU head coach Chuck Fairbanks the intricacies of the wishbone against the advice of Emory Bellard." 

https://www.texaslsn.org/dkr-1971-1976#:~:text=Coach Royal teaches OU head,the advice of Emory Bellard.

The following is from an interview w Emory Ballard: https://blog.kir.com/?p=4829

And finally, on legendary UT head coach Darrell Royal’s decision to teach the Wishbone to other programs, including arch-rival Oklahoma. OU  refined the formation during the late 1970’s and 80’s to win National Championships and to dominate Texas after UT abandoned the Wishbone when Royal retired in 1975:

"[E]verybody in the country was looking to run the Wishbone. And it became the winningest formation in the history of the game of football for quite a while there. We gave it to Alabama, we gave it to Oklahoma. I mean, their execution knowledge and so forth of the offense came from us; we gave it to Oklahoma."

"I just saw Barry [Switzer] the other day. He was offensive coordinator at Oklahoma and Chuck Fairbanks was the head coach and Darrell came into my office one day and we’d already just wore Oklahoma out a couple years and he said, “Chuck is in trouble, he’s gonna lose his job and they want to put in the Wishbone. Barry is gonna be calling you, help him all you can.”

I shook my head, I said, “Darrell, you got to be joking?” He said, “No, I wanna help him.”

I said, “Well, I can admire your wanting to help somebody but I said, gosh darn, not them.” That’s true, too, because they got to where they had so much speed it was hard for us to catch them.

He [Royal] called me about four or five months ago. He calls every now and then and I call him every now and then. But anyhow, he called and said, “You know, I was just sitting here thinking, I might not be as benevolent if I had it to do over (again).”

I said, “I hope not, Darrell. I don’t think we could go through that again.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

16 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

plaintext

Adjusted SEC Top 10 Power Rankings for Next year
Posted by Tarpon08 iconLSU.gif online on 1/19/24 at 8:49 pm

1. Texas- Because UGA lost Downs lol
2. Georgia- Lost Downs Lol

Rest of the top 10 remains:

3. LSU- Back to Back 10 Wins, Staff Upgrades, Recruiting
4. Ole Miss- All in in 2024. Only this low due to high school recruiting.
5. Oklahoma- Nice Turnaround Year and Top 10 Recruiting
6. Tennessee- Solid last few years and recruiting OK.
7. Missouri- Will be good next year and then we'll poach the rest of your staff. Sorry.
8. Auburn- Freeze can Coach and 2024 and 2025 classes looking good!
9. Alabama- You guys are so fricked.
10. Texas A&M- You guys are so gay.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, linux said:

It did happen the question is is the whole story true. That is just a tall tale for his Okie fan base, making them feel Superior that they got one over Texas. The idea that nobody could ever copy the wishbone without Ballard explaining it is dumb

dkr also gave it to bear

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/daily-dose-crimson-tide-1971-alabama-usc-wishbone

by the next season ('72) purdue and ucla also ran it

fuck switzer

and fuck sherrill

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Also for 2023, Texas A&M reported $12 million in direct institutional support in 2023, the first time since 2014 that it has shown any help for athletics. However, the athletics department's chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, said this was a loan by the university from non-taxpayer funds to assist with another facility project — and it will be repaid by the athletics department.

Where the hell is our $9.95 ecosystem on FOIA requests for documentation of repayment of the loans from 2007 and 2008?  Come on fuckers.  It's the offseason.  Earn you scrip.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks for the whole article but particularly the above. The Aggies preserve their delusion about holy Jack Sherrill by claiming he was never found guilty of anything to do with cheating. I don't recall the details, but his actions depicted in the article make it crystal clear that he was right in the middle of it. I had not doubt, but I also had no documentation or details loaded in the ol' brain pan.

aggy bitches about the BOMC but it sure failed mightily when aggy skated for more than a decade before the no-tv no-bowl sanctions handed down on 6 Jan 94

smew didn't kill the SWC - no one gave a shit when they were executed

but aggy....

the wailing and caterwauling across the state held off the dogs for YEARS and in the end they still got to play their season

aggy are never reported accurately in austin, dallas or houston because the media avoid the blowback by simply ignoring the aggy reality of the day

there were plenty of sec schools (klan, barn...) that had tv bans after aggy

but the only real sanction (TV MONEY) ever taken against a SWC team was the punishment of aggy for the sherrill years

and that was postponed until the rig deal was put together behind the scenes

the reality is, aggy killed the swc and shared killing of the rig along with dr. tom's butthurt

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Here is a post to get things back on track:

Texags-Gold-Q.jpg

They just hired Jordan Peterson as their safeties coach. Will reinforce the victim mentality.

(read in weeping Kermit J Frog voice)

"I am the safeties coach. And to enact this properly I must teach the young men that the fundamental precept of 'safety' is ensured by male power and the masculine threat of and propensity towards violence, perpetually undercut and challenged by the feminine framework of rules and fair play..."

aggie-peterson.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Haha. Just wanted to share it cause if true, it's got to be the strangest coaching decisions of all time and I had never heard it before this year. 

Royal was an OU alum, old teammates were boosters, and he believed in collegial sportsmanship (while beating that ass). He didn’t believe in cheating, though, and Fairbanks and Switzer did. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ABSR said:

See bold below.  Anyone else surprised that aggy waited until Texas reported before making up a larger number in any way possible, including using loans and donations as a “revenue” source….yet again, in order to over inflate their numbers.  There is no ncaa standards around this, but I would think they do have to get their books audited.  So which former student mom and pop countin’ firm is certifying this?

The Texas A&M athletic department had $279.2 million in operating revenue during its 2023 fiscal year, its new financial report to the NCAA shows.

The document was obtained by USA TODAY Sports through an open-records request in partnership with the Knight-Newhouse Data project at Syracuse University. 

It comes days after the University of Texas’ report showed just over $271 million in operating revenue for 2023.

Guess if they included the money they had to raise to make Jimbo's payoff down payment, it might be close.  

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Well, I watched “We are Marshall” and they had to be taught by Bobby Bowden.

That was the veer Bowden taught them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I'm shocked that those dudes with names like Bennett, Luke and Brody are frat boy douchebags. Shocked I say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

I am probably the last to know, but I am just now learning that the satellite schools act like they are college station with yell leaders and "gameday".

https://www.tamug.edu/yell/index.html

This is an old clip I found in demonstration.

As someone who works with several sea aggy grads, I have been informed that the Galveston campus is not a system school in the way that A&M Commerce or A&M Kingsville is.  The Galveston campus is considered a part of the main College Station campus.  Probably a better analogy out there, but it is sort of the aggy version of the Balcones Research Center or whatever it called nowadays.   

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, ScottS said:

As someone who works with several sea aggy grads, I have been informed that the Galveston campus is not a system school in the way that A&M Commerce or A&M Kingsville is.  The Galveston campus is considered a part of the main College Station campus.  Probably a better analogy out there, but it is sort of the aggy version of the Balcones Research Center or whatever it called nowadays.   

Hmm....kind of like a hickey on a hemorrhoid?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, pacman said:

I am probably the last to know, but I am just now learning that the satellite schools act like they are college station with yell leaders and "gameday".

https://www.tamug.edu/yell/index.html

This is an old clip I found in demonstration.

10 hours ago, ScottS said:

Does galveston aggy have their own milkmen, do they get JV or split squad milkmen from college station aggy, or do "varsity" milkmen go down to the island on Thursdays, singing tra la la (NTTAWWT) and hitting every Buc-ees along the way (NTTAWWT)?

11 hours ago, ScottS said:

Like UTMSI in Port Aransas

On 1/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

So $12MM of their made up $279MM was a “loan” from TAMU (that they’ll never pay back), meaning their revenue would actually be less than Texas’ $271MM. And of course they’re falsely including another $53MM.

Really, anything Texas A&M claims is most likely false. They just gotta be “Bigger’n and Better’n” dem durn t-sippers. Except they’re not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Leanderman said:

I live here on the island. I see multiple sea gomers who consider themselves full blown red asses. They dress out in their fake navy uniforms and attend multiple functions and events here.

Sea monkeys suck 

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

So $12MM of their made up $279MM was a “loan” from TAMU (that they’ll never pay back), meaning their revenue would actually be less than Texas’ $271MM. And of course they’re falsely including another $53MM.

Really, anything Texas A&M claims is most likely false. They just gotta be “Bigger’n and Better’n” dem durn t-sippers. Except they’re not. 

The irony is that any normal institution wouldn't be continually bragging about their operating budget and supposed revenue when they had SO LITTLE athletic success to show for it!! Aren't they embarrassed to have wasted so much money? 

And when did I wake up to a world where Ohio State just hired away the athletic director who presided over the most embarrassing contract fiasco in the history of athletics business?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

The irony is that any normal institution wouldn't be continually bragging about their operating budget and supposed revenue when they had SO LITTLE athletic success to show for it!! Aren't they embarrassed to have wasted so much money? 

And when did I wake up to a world where Ohio State just hired away the athletic director who presided over the most embarrassing contract fiasco in the history of athletics business?

My goodness, how many facilities can these morons possibly build? It’s like they are purposely doing capital projects to keep the balance sheet stuffed or something so they can prove they don’t care about us.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

This….I don’t believe they’ve ever paid back the “borrowed” academic funds they borrowed when they were moving over to the secsec, years ago.  Duke Randolph could most definitely elaborate.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This….I don’t believe they’ve ever paid back the “borrowed” academic funds they borrowed when they were moving over to the secsec, years ago.  Duke Randolph could most definitely elaborate.

They borrowed money from academics back around 2005 that they’ve never repaid. They suck and they’re poor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They borrowed money from academics back around 2005 that they’ve never repaid. They suck and they’re poor. 

And it was borrowed at 0% interest I believe, with no required pay back schedule.   So State funded dollars were "loaned" at no interest and with no payback requirement to their athletic department in 2005.  Nothing has been paid back.  We know aggy has no real oversight/auditing, but doesn't the State of Texas?

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, ABSR said:

And it was borrowed at 0% interest I believe, with no required pay back schedule.   So State funded dollars were "loaned" at no interest and with no payback requirement to their athletic department in 2005.  Nothing has been paid back.  We know aggy has no real oversight/auditing, but doesn't the State of Texas?

Aggy is using state money allocated to TAMU College Station and using it to pay for operating expenses for its “satellite” branch TAMU-Qatar. This money is then paid back to TAMU through gifts from the Qatar Foundation. So no there is no oversight with how they are using their money at all. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Aggy is using state money allocated to TAMU College Station and using it to pay for operating expenses for its “satellite” branch TAMU-Qatar. This money is then paid back to TAMU through gifts from the Qatar Foundation. So no there is no oversight with how they are using their money at all. 

And it's doubtful we will in the future, due to all the legislators who have roots in A&M.