Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

On 7/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

I have always, my entire life, greeted people with a "howdy." Not an in-your-face "howdy" like aggy does, but "howdy" all the same. It is NOT an aggy thing, it is an old school Texas thing. In the 1970s in Llano, San Angelo, Marfa, Harlingen, and a half dozen other places where my family was scattered about, I'd visit relatives with zero connection to the li'l farming school in the armpit of Texas, and they'd all say "howdy" as a greeting.

I get the feeling the term went out of favor, actually, as soon as the media presence for aggy increased enough that people started associating it with Texas A&M. They are so obnoxious that they ruin everything they touch, including a good old fashioned Texas greeting.

I say howdy a lot.  It just comes out in certain situation without any thought on my part.   It's a bit tongue in cheek, said fast and sometimes sounds more like Heidi or Hah dee.  I will never concede that word as "theirs".

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

Just now, Teamdirtyleg said:

I say howdy a lot.  It just comes out in certain situation without any thought on my part.   It's a bit tongue in cheek, said fast and sometimes sounds more like Heidi or Hah dee.  I will never concede that word as "theirs".

Talk about cultural appropriation.  Only in CS do everyday gestures take on mythical turdition status.  As an example, I (along with the rest of the Western world) give thumbs-up a lot, when one means to signal that things are good, or when one is looking for a ride when one's car has broken down.  Outside of the cult, thumbs-up has never, ever, ever meant any affiliation with the school in CS. 

I mean, I am fucking flabbergasted that someone who takes the sport and sports journalism as seriously as Stewart Mandel is aligning with a batshit crazy lying piece of shit outfit like TexAgs. 

Mandel has always had this sort of weird credulity towards A&M's grander aspirations. Like, he's always seemed to buy into the bullshit A&M spouts about itself. It was a little annoying, but not a dealbreaker, but giving this kind of credibility to Billy Liucci and company instead of treating them like the insane dipshit partisans they are.... again, I'm actually shocked he'd do that.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

IMO, Tom doesn't see value in playing them either. Instead he's calling their bluff. At least, that's what I hope he is doing.

Tom and CDC have both publicly expressed a strong desire to play them. If the stars align, it's going to happen at some point as long as one of those two are employed at UT.

Thankfully, the stars haven't aligned yet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

IMO, Tom doesn't see value in playing them either. Instead he's calling their bluff. At least, that's what I hope he is doing.

He is saying what he thinks presents the best look from the University of Texas' head coach. 

I doubt he gives playing A&M a lot of thought or really gives a shit either way because it's not going to happen in the short term. 

This is still the best way to behave publicly. He's trying to be a grownup about it, like praising your cunt of an ex-wife in front of the kids.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

This is still the best way to behave publicly. He's trying to be a grownup about it, like praising your cunt of an ex-wife in front of the kids.

Agree...Herman’s being a grownup.  Praising your cunt of an ex-wife in front of your kids is just being a pussy.

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
So, today at media days, which player does Jimbo bring out?
Aggy just loves that punter huh?
I get he's really good, but why have him represent your team at media day when you would prefer that he never step on the field?

You realize that Herman took Michael Dickson to media days two years ago, yes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
I get he's really good, but why have him represent your team at media day when you would prefer that he never step on the field?

Did Dumbo bring anyone else?

Agree...Herman’s being a grownup.  Praising your cunt of an ex-wife in front of your kids is just being a pussy.

I’ve got to disagree with the second part of this post. I wouldn’t say that I praise my cunt of an ex-wife, but I don’t badmouth her in front of little man. I don’t think Herman was praising aggy in any way, shape, or form. I think he was being a grown up about it, and letting the people see that, which is comparable to being a grown up in front of your kids (if they’re young, their mom/your ex-wife is a cunt, and you realize that they’ll remember her jabs at you, and nothing of malice ever said on your part about her).

I think the analogy is accurate, just leave praise out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Herman missed a good opportunity to remind everyone that CDC offered to play them and they chickened out.

The reporters should know that too. They should’ve asked Jimbo why aggy turned down Texas’ overtures.... twice.

5 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Of course they love their punter.  They see how good Dickson was, how much praise he gets and somehow in their minds they naturally believe they are entitled to a better punter now.  They have a weird habit of this

12 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

They don't own the word. We are from Texas, we are the flagship, we can use it. But when a clear aggy says it just smile, reply hook em, and move on. They love that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I’ve got to disagree with the second part of this post. I wouldn’t say that I praise my cunt of an ex-wife, but I don’t badmouth her in front of little man. I don’t think Herman was praising aggy in any way, shape, or form. I think he was being a grown up about it, and letting the people see that, which is comparable to being a grown up in front of your kids (if they’re young, their mom/your ex-wife is a cunt, and you realize that they’ll remember her jabs at you, and nothing of malice ever said on your part about her).

I think the analogy is accurate, just leave praise out of it.

I don't have an ex-wife but I do have a wife who has a cunt of an ex-husband and a kid with him.  The day my wife or I ever "praises" that piece of shit for anything will be a cold day in hell.  We did go several years never badmouthing him in front of the kid, which I don't have a problem with.  So I think we're saying the same thing.  The "praise" part was what I have a problem with.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled making fun of aggy.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So, aggy plans on scheduling high school teams?

better avoid Lake Travis though.

They play themselves in the spring, so close enough. The 100,000 in the stands have the maturity level of high schoolers too, so same thing basically.