Mass casualty event in Waukesha, WI

TXSG8R

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Bullshit. Keep the politics out of it.

The suspect should not have been released in the manner he was (low bail). IMO, while some of the reform towards release has tried not to make bail onerous, it is crazy (to me) when that is applied in a domestic violence charge. If someone is physically aggressive then they don't need to be released until they've gotten their shit together. He's going to prison and he should.

Is there a reason you believe only the wealthy should be allowed to fight their DV cases while out of custody?

Just now, DDD Dad said:

kermit-darkside.gif

I participate over there and particularly enjoy when people get real mad at each other.  Nazis, fascists', cunts, assholes, cats and dogs, russian bogeyman, paid trolls.  Our own little mini 4chan. 

This thread is destined for CR super hot takes.  

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Is there a reason you believe only the wealthy should be allowed to fight their DV cases while out of custody?

I don't support a wealthy abuser being out of custody either. Not until there has been some time to cool off. I realize that domestic violence affects all genders, but female murder victims are most likely to have been killed by a spouse or intimate partner.

I don't have any answers, it is such an overwhelming problem in terms of spreading outward into the community because we can't seem to talk about it constructively. It's connected to all the other issues and exacerbated by socioeconomic status.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't support a wealthy abuser being out of custody either. Not until there has been some time to cool off. I realize that domestic violence affects all genders, but female murder victims are most likely to have been killed by a spouse or intimate partner.

I don't have any answers, it is such an overwhelming problem in terms of spreading outward into the community because we can't seem to talk about it constructively. It's connected to all the other issues and exacerbated by socioeconomic status.

there's a whole other conversation to be had about the bail system in this country.

i believe in restraining orders, but not in locking people up before found guilty of anything.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there's a whole other conversation to be had about the bail system in this country.

i believe in restraining orders, but not in locking people up before found guilty of anything.

I'm not sure I'm good with letting everyone roam free until the jury reaches a verdict.

Richard_Ramirez_1984_mug_shot.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:
It is a difficult issue. Just because the guy is a racist POS doesn't mean he intentionally ran over a bunch of people. He's obviously not the local Mensa chapter president so maybe he thought driving through a parade was an efficient escape route. The one thing we know is everyone is suddenly switching opinions about these kinds of things.

That dude didn't slow down or use his horn to let people get out of the way. He was going full speed through those people like he was playing GTA. It was completely intentional to do the most damage he could. Don't need social media posts to confirm that, give him the electric chair and be done with it.

I don't disagree (although I oppose the DP).

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I understand your point, because as you say-the accused has not had their day to be heard. But the ability to keep the released accused from harming the partner while awaiting the details is something we need to work at.

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

We had this discussion on another thread about the intent of bail. I'm sort of "three strikes" guy on it. You screw up once, low bail. You're a habitual offender, reconsider. Have to balance criminals' rights with the communities' rights.

Pretty sure a person that ignores the laws about domestic violence might not be super intimidated by another piece of paper.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 2

Of all the crimes out there, DV is the one I most believe should involve extremely high bail or even no bail. (And yes, law dawgs, I know that “bail is to guarantee appearance,” my point is that maybe we need to rethink the system and why or when we use bail.

First, DV is almost a guaranteed repeat crime until the situation is resolved by total separation or the death of one of the parties. No one hits a partner “just once.” 

Second, as @Bama Chick says, women are most likely to be killed by an intimate partner. And usually, that partner has a history of violence. 

Third, it takes a tremendous amount of courage to just call the cops on an abuser. And when he’s hauled away, and then shows back up it’s a message that the act didn’t really accomplish anything. And it doesn’t give the abused a period to reflect and realize that life is really ok without the abuser, and even move forward with pressing charges.

Restraining orders are bullshit things. You’ve got a guy who just beat the hell out of his partner. But now he has a piece of paper that says he can’t do that or next time it’s BIG trouble. Do they have cops working on shifts to make sure he doesn’t break it. Fuck that. They don’t work and lots and lots of women are murdered and brutalized by men who had this “order.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

We had this discussion on another thread about the intent of bail. I'm sort of "three strikes" guy on it. You screw up once, low bail. You're a habitual offender, reconsider. Have to balance criminals' rights with the communities' rights.

Pretty sure a person that ignores the laws about domestic violence might not be super intimidated by another piece of paper.

Gavin de Becker writes a lot about this. In a lot of cases, he advises clients not to get them. As he points out it is just a piece of paper that has zero force until AFTER its already been violated. The people who need them are in relationships with someone who does not respect laws or social norms. A lot of times, it only further enrages an abuser or causes a stalker to see just “one more obstacle to overcome to reach destiny.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, cabowabo said:
On 11/22/2021 at 8:20 AM, Johnny Sack said:
Looks like possible domestic terrorism to me. Too early to see what or who radicalized this man.

Maybe even some hate crime implications.

definitely hate crime. should probably get the feds on this asap.  have we determined that he was or wasn't running from the police?  

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

definitely hate crime. should probably get the feds on this asap.  have we determined that he was or wasn't running from the police?  

I don't have much faith in the feds handling it. Keep it local.

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Gavin de Becker writes a lot about this. In a lot of cases, he advises clients not to get them. As he points out it is just a piece of paper that has zero force until AFTER its already been violated. The people who need them are in relationships with someone who does not respect laws or social norms. A lot of times, it only further enrages an abuser or causes a stalker to see just “one more obstacle to overcome to reach destiny.” 

Yeah, unfortunately restraining orders are rarely effective and cops generally don't give a shit about enforcing them. There's even a truly horrible SCOTUS case in which SCOTUS said they don't have to try to enforce them, even though the law clearly said they do. 

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Of all the crimes out there, DV is the one I most believe should involve extremely high bail or even no bail. (And yes, law dawgs, I know that “bail is to guarantee appearance,” my point is that maybe we need to rethink the system and why or when we use bail.

First, DV is almost a guaranteed repeat crime until the situation is resolved by total separation or the death of one of the parties. No one hits a partner “just once.” 

Second, as @Bama Chick says, women are most likely to be killed by an intimate partner. And usually, that partner has a history of violence. 

Third, it takes a tremendous amount of courage to just call the cops on an abuser. And when he’s hauled away, and then shows back up it’s a message that the act didn’t really accomplish anything. And it doesn’t give the abused a period to reflect and realize that life is really ok without the abuser, and even move forward with pressing charges.

Restraining orders are bullshit things. You’ve got a guy who just beat the hell out of his partner. But now he has a piece of paper that says he can’t do that or next time it’s BIG trouble. Do they have cops working on shifts to make sure he doesn’t break it. Fuck that. They don’t work and lots and lots of women are murdered and brutalized by men who had this “order.” 

My 65 year old mother was accused of assault by my POS dad during their divorce a little over a year ago. He tried barging in her room at 11 o’clock at night while drunk off his ass and she held the door trying to keep him out. Because he’s on blood thinners he cut his elbow on the door handle while trying to shoulder the door she was holding. Blood on the outside of the door. Cut on his elbow and bruising on his forearms. He called the cops and claimed assault. She admitted to pushing him out of the room after he shouldered the door partially open. Even though she recorded the entire thing on audio the cops decided to arrest her because someone has to go in and she wasn’t the one bleeding. This was in a Friday night. She sat in jail (during covid, in a cell with 3 other people without masks) until Sunday morning and had to post a $5k bond to get out. 

The entire police responding to DV is bullshit and worth its own thread, but if it was any worse I would probably be in prison if I found out my mom couldn’t get out of jail until trial, which took almost a year to hold. Or if she had to post some ridiculous bond and was left destitute all to try to find some way to keep dumb fucks like the Waukesha guy off the street. If you tie a judges hands with larger bail minimums, innocent people will get fucked. Put more teeth in criminal trespass or something else. 

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

I participate over there and particularly enjoy when people get real mad at each other.  Nazis, fascists', cunts, assholes, cats and dogs, russian bogeyman, paid trolls.  Our own little mini 4chan. 

This thread is destined for CR super hot takes.  

now see THIS is the proper attitude

6th person dead. Two children in critical condition. The discussion about his bail will continue…should have at least had on an ankle bracelet monitor. Imo. Maybe they could have caught him prior to the parade? Who knows. I think the amount of bail should be determined on a case by case basis but whatever. What an Outstanding human being regardless. He’s crying cuz he knows he ain’t ever getting out. Fuck him.

TLDR version below: 

“The ex-con charged with killing five people at a Wisconsin Christmas parade appeared to weep throughout his court appearance Tuesday, as it was announced that a sixth victim had died from the attack and his cash bail was set at $5 million.

Earlier this month, Darrell Brooks had been cut loose on “inappropriately low” bail on an earlier criminal case.

Brooks, 39, who is charged with five counts of first-degree intentional homicide in the attack Sunday at the Waukesha Christmas parade, will also be hit with a sixth homicide charged after a child who was hit by his SUV also died, prosecutors revealed on Tuesday.

Brooks bowed his head during the proceedings and at one point appeared to weep as the judge detailed his lengthy criminal record.

Police said Brooks, a wannabe rapper with a lengthy criminal record, was fleeing a domestic disturbance when he barreled past police barricades and onto the parade route, where he mowed down marchers and spectators.

In addition to the fatalities, authorities said 48 people were injured during the attack, including at least two children now in critical condition.

Among the victims was a young dance troupe and the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, who said they lost three members in the tragedy. 

Cops caught up with Brooks nearby, initially identifying him as a person of interest in the case before filing the homicide charges.

Compounding the tragedy, prosecutors admitted this week that Brooks should have already been in jail — he was released on “inappropriately low” bail just days earlier.

Brooks was charged in that case with allegedly punching and running over the mother of his child at a local gas station on Nov. 2, but was released on a $1,000 bond.

According to reports, Brooks had another pending assault case from July 2020 — in which he was released in February on just $500 bail — and has an open sex assault warrant in Nevada. 

Just minutes before Sunday’s parade, Brooks got into a dispute with his ex-girlfriend, who neighbors said had to flee her home barefoot and with a black eye to escape him.

Waukesha Police Chief Daniel Thompson said Brooks fled the domestic violence scene before cops responded — and launched the attack on the parade while fleeing.

An amateur rapper who calls himself Mathboi Fly, Brooks reportedly used the red Ford Escape SUV he allegedly drove into the parade on a rap video.”

37 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

6th person dead. Two children in critical condition. The discussion about his bail will continue…should have at least had on an ankle bracelet monitor. Imo. Maybe they could have caught him prior to the parade? Who knows. I think the amount of bail should be determined on a case by case basis but whatever. What an Outstanding human being regardless. He’s crying cuz he knows he ain’t ever getting out. Fuck him.

TLDR version below: 

“The ex-con charged with killing five people at a Wisconsin Christmas parade appeared to weep throughout his court appearance Tuesday, as it was announced that a sixth victim had died from the attack and his cash bail was set at $5 million.

Earlier this month, Darrell Brooks had been cut loose on “inappropriately low” bail on an earlier criminal case.

Brooks, 39, who is charged with five counts of first-degree intentional homicide in the attack Sunday at the Waukesha Christmas parade, will also be hit with a sixth homicide charged after a child who was hit by his SUV also died, prosecutors revealed on Tuesday.

Brooks bowed his head during the proceedings and at one point appeared to weep as the judge detailed his lengthy criminal record.

Police said Brooks, a wannabe rapper with a lengthy criminal record, was fleeing a domestic disturbance when he barreled past police barricades and onto the parade route, where he mowed down marchers and spectators.

In addition to the fatalities, authorities said 48 people were injured during the attack, including at least two children now in critical condition.

Among the victims was a young dance troupe and the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, who said they lost three members in the tragedy. 

Cops caught up with Brooks nearby, initially identifying him as a person of interest in the case before filing the homicide charges.

Compounding the tragedy, prosecutors admitted this week that Brooks should have already been in jail — he was released on “inappropriately low” bail just days earlier.

Brooks was charged in that case with allegedly punching and running over the mother of his child at a local gas station on Nov. 2, but was released on a $1,000 bond.

According to reports, Brooks had another pending assault case from July 2020 — in which he was released in February on just $500 bail — and has an open sex assault warrant in Nevada. 

Just minutes before Sunday’s parade, Brooks got into a dispute with his ex-girlfriend, who neighbors said had to flee her home barefoot and with a black eye to escape him.

Waukesha Police Chief Daniel Thompson said Brooks fled the domestic violence scene before cops responded — and launched the attack on the parade while fleeing.

An amateur rapper who calls himself Mathboi Fly, Brooks reportedly used the red Ford Escape SUV he allegedly drove into the parade on a rap video.”

That Cant Be Good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

50 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

TLDR version below: 

webster doesn't have to update the definition of crocodile tears at least.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I wonder what the media angle would be if a white guy who had anti-black posts all over his social media had plowed his car through a parade made up of mostly black people, swerving to deliberately hit them as he went.

Actually, I don't wonder at all. 

Is this or is this not what happened in Charlottesville?

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Wrong.  Charlottesville was a political event and the violence was politically motivated.  This is neither as far as we know. 

Glad to hear from our Russian overlords.

It's all good, people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Wrong.  Charlottesville was a political event and the violence was politically motivated.  This is neither as far as we know. 

Was it like the case in kenosha where the abuser, blake, was fleeing a crime (and violating an order) holding a knife and was shot by the police? Police were villified and led to protests that lead to rittenhouse.
Circle of keepin it real?
Sorry, I know, TLDR
  • Hook 'Em 4