Orange Bowl CFP semifinal Georgia vs Michigan

Helobious

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're dreaming. Cincy isn't in the same ballpark as Alabama. A competent OC and Saban not being content to take the easy win playing conservatively, and that game would have been an absolute beat down. No amount of trick plays would have changed that. This isn't basketball. The other team can't just get hot from 3 and put a scare in the better team. The top 2-3 teams every year are just too big, fast, and physical for a non-P5 school or 16 seed to reasonably expect to compete, even if they catch all the breaks. We beat Bama because they had a let down in the middle of a long season with games every weekend. If we had their full attention, that ain't happening. With a 16 team field, we'd just see a handful of blowouts every single year and wonder why we keep doing this for the twice a decade that Boise State beats Oklahoma in the first round.

Cincy was down 11 late in the 3Q with the ball at Alabama's 30 yard line. Don't let your aggy shine through. 

Try and tell a 13-0 team that they shouldn't be there and can't compete. Alabama was beatable today. They weren't beat today but have them play 2 games instead of one leading into the title game and maybe they get got. It isn't unreasonable at all to think that. They should have lost to an Auburn team that lost to UH. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Today’s games have demonstrated the need to go at least 8 team playoff.

I'm part of the minority that liked the bowl system with it's tie-ins and kinda liked the BCS era better than this. But, we are where we are. I can see two factors that will drive this train toward more teams in the playoffs and they have a lot more to do with money than with the quality of play. 

1. The minor bowls appear to be dying (and not just of Covid). Making them part of the playoff system would make them relevant and likely more profitable. 

2. The opting out phenomenon only started after the playoff format began. Any bowl that wasn't a playoff bowl was no longer worth the risk/effort for the top players on many teams. This is also less likely for expanded playoffs.

On the down side it will even further dilute the value of the regular season. At least with only 4 teams you have a pretty low chance of a two loss team claiming a NC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

There would be upsets in a 16 or 8-game playoff. I don't know why y'all think Alabama would be more invincible in a playoff game than in regular season just because it's a playoff game. Yes baseball and basketball are more open to shocking results but it happens in football too. Underdog comes out and smacks favorite in mouth, gets out to two-score lead, favorite starts pressing, a couple of bounces or tipped balls go the right way, and you could have Cincy over Bama. Or you have a Boise come out with a bagful of sick trick plays and take down the dickeater. A QB gets KTFO.....I'd be willing to bet there would be one big upset every season.

42 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'm part of the minority that liked the bowl system with it's tie-ins and kinda liked the BCS era better than this. But, we are where we are. I can see two factors that will drive this train toward more teams in the playoffs and they have a lot more to do with money than with the quality of play. 

1. The minor bowls appear to be dying (and not just of Covid). Making them part of the playoff system would make them relevant and likely more profitable. 

2. The opting out phenomenon only started after the playoff format began. Any bowl that wasn't a playoff bowl was no longer worth the risk/effort for the top players on many teams. This is also less likely for expanded playoffs.

On the down side it will even further dilute the value of the regular season. At least with only 4 teams you have a pretty low chance of a two loss team claiming a NC. 

The broadcasters remarked that the Dawgs didn't seem to be very happy.  That's because they didn't win a real bowl game, they just won a first playoff game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

There would be upsets in a 16 or 8-game playoff. I don't know why y'all think Alabama would be more invincible in a playoff game than in regular season just because it's a playoff game. Yes baseball and basketball are more open to shocking results but it happens in football too. Underdog comes out and smacks favorite in mouth, gets out to two-score lead, favorite starts pressing, a couple of bounces or tipped balls go the right way, and you could have Cincy over Bama. Or you have a Boise come out with a bagful of sick trick plays and take down the dickeater. A QB gets KTFO.....I'd be willing to bet there would be one big upset every season.

Cool. Then they'll get beat by 30 in the quarterfinals.

I’ve now watched part of 3 UGA games this year and there’s a young Mr Clean guy whose sole job seems to be clapping and pulling on Kirbys pants.   Never see KS get pissed even when they guy is tugging him a yard or 2 back, so I guess it’s like, “hey, it’s your job to make sure I don’t fuck up and get a penalty”.

Guess I’m just amazed there’s a job description and probable >250k salary to pull that fucker back off the field for 3 hours, a dozen or so times a year.  

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

A 8- or 16-team playoff limits the amount of prep time. Three weeks of watching video and developing schemes is almost unfair. There’s a reason the large majority of semi-final games in the CFP era have been double-digit wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Cincy was down 11 late in the 3Q with the ball at Alabama's 30 yard line. Don't let your aggy shine through. 

Try and tell a 13-0 team that they shouldn't be there and can't compete. Alabama was beatable today. They weren't beat today but have them play 2 games instead of one leading into the title game and maybe they get got. It isn't unreasonable at all to think that. They should have lost to an Auburn team that lost to UH. 

That was a systematic dismantling of a team that was outmatched in every way.  Alabama suffocated them and didn’t show anything at all.  Cincinnati had the following drives outside of their field goals right up until that moment in the third:

1 yard, 6 yards, 5 yards, 4 yards, 1 yard.  Then after that moment they had a drive of -16 yards.

Cincy was a team that was getting strangled slowly instead of riddled with bullets. 11 points might as well have been 50. There’s no shame in what happened to them, Bama does it to lots of really, really good teams.

4 hours ago, HornPhD said:

A 8- or 16-team playoff limits the amount of prep time. Three weeks of watching video and developing schemes is almost unfair. There’s a reason the large majority of semi-final games in the CFP era have been double-digit wins. 

The teams that lose get the same amount of time to prep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

“Cincinnati…..you shouldn’t be there and can’t compete!”
  • Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:09 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

That was a systematic dismantling of a team that was outmatched in every way.  Alabama suffocated them and didn’t show anything at all.  Cincinnati had the following drives outside of their field goals right up until that moment in the third:

1 yard, 6 yards, 5 yards, 4 yards, 1 yard.  Then after that moment they had a drive of -16 yards.

Cincy was a team that was getting strangled slowly instead of riddled with bullets. 11 points might as well have been 50. There’s no shame in what happened to them, Bama does it to lots of really, really good teams.

This. Given the playoff, Saban didn't need style points.