Star Wars - Ahsoka

UT_OB1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It's wasn't another galaxy.  Pretty sure they are building a huge ship that can make it to the other galaxy.  That's why they needed the really big hyperdrives.

I disagree. I think the ring is her ship and the idea is to bring Thrawn's Star Destroyer back with them back with them using it. I'd assume his ship can't make the jump that got him there without mimicking the power of the purrgil. 

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ah, like the old clone wars fighters had.  I should have rewatched the last season of Rebels.

Thrawn's Star Destroyer was pretty much damaged beyond repair in that final battle when Ezra had the purrgil jump them away. I think it's very much like Jedi starfighters needing the hyperspace ring to get them to different galaxies. And I could be wrong, it could be Captain Palleon's ship that will show up and jump using the ring. Based on Mando season 3, we know he's out there waiting for Thrawn to return. 

My older daughter hopes this show will bring about a decent loth cat stuffed animal. The ones at Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland were kinda terrible.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Sarcasm on…

These people who don’t want to be found/don’t want someone to be found really need to stop leaving maps lying around.

That’s a helluva tracking device that can report back from another …

I know it was in your sarcasm section, but it isn’t a “map to thrawn” that someone made after he disappeared. 

The Purgil (space whales) migrate between the galaxies.  The ancients (that they just referenced) saw this and it is what inspired hyperspace travel a looonnng time ago. The dathomir witches followed one of these hyperspace routes to the SW galaxy and left a map back. The rumor / assumption is that Thrawn is in the other galaxy because that’s where the Purgil would have gone on their migration (and of course that is going to end up being correct)

That was a solid start to the season. I know it has been mentioned multiple times now but the score was pretty awesome. Felt new and fresh but still had that Star Wars sound (at some points it sounded like the OT). 

Casting was done well although I think I’m in the minority in thinking that Sabine could be better in some instances. Nothing major and more nit picking. We’ve seen Ahsoka mature from the very beginning and I think Dawson is trying to portray that more and imo is doing a fantastic job. Everything seems tactical with her, kind of Qui Gon vibes. 

Baylin and Shin are going to be badass in this series. Really excited to see where they go this season. (Rip to Ray Stevenson)

42 minutes ago, Levi said:

Casting was done well although I think I’m in the minority in thinking that Sabine could be better in some instances. Nothing major and more nit picking. 

Yeah, I think it's the right actress, but just a few tweaks of dialogue here and there, maybe directing. I like her as Sabine though.

42 minutes ago, Levi said:

Baylin and Shin are going to be badass in this series. Really excited to see where they go this season. (Rip to Ray Stevenson)

It fucking sucks so much that Ray Stevenson died.  This is not his breakout role or anything, but I loved him in Rome and a few other things and he makes a great Star Wars villain. He has a presence about him. He commands the room when he enters.

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You gotta admit it’s a little weird how often they’ve used the map quest plot device, especially in a hyperspace-faring era.

My issue with the maps in Star Wars are:

1. If a map is possible, that means the universe is static and not moving. 

2. If #1 is true, then any destination in the universe is a straight line. You just need your origin and destination. (The hyperspace computer routes you around the off chance there's a planet in the direct path.)  You don't need to planet hop and change direction. 

3. Why do the maps exist? Every time a map has existed, there's be zero reason for it to exist other than the plot requires it.

11 hours ago, jofus said:

That inquisitor feels like it’ll be a twist reveal about who it is later on. Could it be Ezra?

If it was Ezra, then Thrawn could have made his way back, or Ezra could have guided them.  Plus if Ezra falls to the dark side, I think he is going to be more like Dooku than a sidekick's sidekick. 

I never watched Rebels or CW but watched the Screen Crush recap and now I get the tone Filoni is going for.  Not having watched any of the animation, Ahsoka was a bit of a jolt because in hindsight, it seemed cartoony, but it fits well within the clips of the shows in the recap video.

On 8/23/2023 at 9:14 AM, kevwun said:

It's wasn't another galaxy.  Pretty sure they are building a huge ship that can make it to the other galaxy.  That's why they needed the really big hyperdrives.

I need to watch again, but I'm fairly certain it WAS another galaxy.

I think what they are essentially looking for is a worm hole / hyperspace route to the new galaxy.

In canon, the original Star Wars galaxy's hyperspace routes were mapped out using the Purgil's hyperspace migration patterns. The thing that makes the "Unknown regions" "unknown" is that they had no (or very few) Purgil migration routes and, thus, no (or very few) hyperspace routes; so it was difficult, if not impossible, to get there and then if you somehow get there difficult or impossible to get back to the "known" parts of the galaxy.

So I think what the map is leading to is the "start" of a specific hyperspace route established by the Purgil to jump from the Star Wars galaxy to this other galaxy where Thrawn and Ezra presumably are hanging out.

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah there's absolutely going to be some kind of reveal (Starkiller? Cal Kestis?) but I don't think it'll be Ezra. 

Can’t see it being Cal Kestis. They won’t want Ahsoka to spoil what would be part of the storyline of a third game 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can’t see it being Cal Kestis. They won’t want Ahsoka to spoil what would be part of the storyline of a third game 

You're probably right but I was just throwing out names.  It definitely seems like they are setting it up for a reveal of some sort.

Honestly what it reminded me of was the reveal of the OG Tron as the main henchman in Tron: Legacy.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I need to watch again, but I'm fairly certain it WAS another galaxy.

It was. I’m not taking crazy pills. He was banished to Peridea. The Eye of Sion is needed to reach it 

Spoiler

Peridea was an extragalactic location in the universe where Imperial Grand AdmiralMitth'raw'nuruodo was banished to from his original galaxy. A compass of the Witches of Dathomir depicted a Pathway to Peridea from the main galaxy

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I

So I think what the map is leading to is the "start" of a specific hyperspace route established by the Purgil to jump from the Star Wars galaxy to this other galaxy where Thrawn and Ezra presumably are hanging out.

Correct. 

again, this isn’t a “map to thrawn” in the sense a lot people are thinking. It is an ancient star chart showing the way back home for the group that migrated from the other galaxy to this one using the Purgil rout

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing last night when I watched Ep 2.

I’m glad ya’ll are liking Dawson because I think she’s adorable, but I hope her portrayal lightens up a bit as the show continues.  Clone wars/Rebels Ahsoka was far more fun.  

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My issue with the maps in Star Wars are:

1. If a map is possible, that means the universe is static and not moving. 

2. If #1 is true, then any destination in the universe is a straight line. You just need your origin and destination. (The hyperspace computer routes you around the off chance there's a planet in the direct path.)  You don't need to planet hop and change direction. 

3. Why do the maps exist? Every time a map has existed, there's be zero reason for it to exist other than the plot requires it.

the maps are clearly connecting to the internet and autoupdating 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I’m glad ya’ll are liking Dawson because I think she’s adorable, but I hope her portrayal lightens up a bit as the show continues.  Clone wars/Rebels Ahsoka was far more fun.  

This is Rebels Ahsoka who was way less fun, something about everyone she knew and loved except Rex getting murdered and her best friend killing some children might have given her clinical depression. Also its the Luke thing of becoming a jedi and getting super serious.

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Until Anakin turned to the dark side.  She's not the same person anymore.

Even in the last arc of Clone Wars, she had a positive vibe around here even when things were going horribly wrong. But Rebels Ashoka, as mentioned above, was much more somber.

She was in her 30s at the time of Rebels. It's now 7 years after ROTJ. So she's in her 40s now. I'm confused what is even the point but given it's from the internet, I'm assuming it's negative. It's never going to be a 1:1 when you bring something animated into live action. 

I don't know, looks pretty accurate to me.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I think they could have picked an actress that resembles adult Ahsoka more, and has her vibe, and it sucks they had truncate her head tail thingys due to them getting in the way during action scenes (I’ve read). But yeah they could never recreate such a dynamic character IRL.

And that’s the last comment I have about that. Looking forward to next week.