Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

Putin is like the bar owner from Road House.  No one really liked him but they put up with him because of economics until he went off the deep end and then they killed him and no one saw a thing.

We seem to be approaching the end of this movie now.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I realize I'm stating the obvious, to this crowd at least, that the remarkable, albeit delayed, response by our EU/NATO allies can only be achieved through collective action among friends. Yes, it can be a noisy cacophony of out-of-tune notes at times but once we're all playing the same tune, it can be a tremendously powerful and beautiful orchestra. Seventy-five years ago, the US volunteered to be the conductor of this sometimes squabbling band and, yes, it can be a pain in the ass at times, but without it we'd be in a far worse place.

It's clearly not over yet and this effort may not still work, but disunity in the West, and Europe in particular, guarantees failure. My hope is that those of us who already knew this lesson will never forget it and that those of you who are the slow, the obstinate, or the agitators actually finally fucking learn it.

Fuck the nationalists, the isolationists, the America Firsters, and the Brexit supporters all of whom have weakened the Western Alliance by their cheering on the fracture of the EU or desiring to leave NATO. Let's make some beautiful music together, motherfuckers.

i noticed the "nobody respects us and the rest of the world is mocking our weak leadership" twitter trolls have taken a long weekend.  weird how that happens.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I like that Twitter is bringing up things like this to remind people...

It’s possible that Putin misread the fragility of America democracy as he saw it play out on J6. Seems he believed the insurrectionists inspired a world wide rejection of democratic ideals that he could exploit and parlay into an expansion of his imagined empire. Talk about misreading the room.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d like to hear from liberals, who unlike me, agree with the vanden Huevals of the world:

https://aninjusticemag.com/americas-putin-apologists-have-pawned-their-patriotism-by-glamorizing-dystopian-russia-632e034c215e

Unfortunately, there are many on the American radical right who see Putin as a role model. They admire his attacks on liberals and his opportunistic embrace of “family values.” These U.S. extremists want to impose their beliefs on others, undermine democracy, and silence the opposition. They aim to forbid free speech, such as Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which creates a gag order on discussing LGBTQ-related content in schools, or bills that forbid honest, historically accurate discussions of race in classrooms.

Predictably, the same traitors behind the January 6 U.S. Capitol Coup, are now cynically backing efforts to bolster Putin’s probable attack against Ukraine. Haaretz columnist David Rothkopf correctly identified Fox News host Tucker Carlson, Sen. Josh Hawley, and former impeached President Donald Trump as some of Putin’s biggest cheerleaders. Rothkopf nailed it when he said they are “Putin’s dream, but America’s worst nightmare.” He declared the seditionists “a repulsive and depraved trio” who are “active partners in Putin’s efforts to gaslight the West on Ukraine and to undermine the United States itself.”

Carlson, for his part, is weakening American resolve on the right for upholding democracies, by asking the foolish question, “Why is it disloyal to side with Russia but loyal to side with Ukraine?” Could one imagine a Republican asking that self-evident question even five years ago? To quote White House press secretary Jen Psaki, why are prominent GOP voices “parroting” Russian talking points?

To a significantly lesser degree, there are also those on the left who seem to romanticize Russia, apparently unable to see it for the totalitarian state it is today. The Nation magazine publisher Katrina vanden Huevel has long had rose-colored glasses on Russia. Her magazine has offered scenic travel tourswhere liberal readers can meet the “The Changing Faces of Russia.” The gaunt, haunted face of Russia that first comes to my mind is Alexander Litvinenko, a Russian dissent who died a miserable death from radiation poisoning in London after Putin’s agents poisoned him with Polonium-210.

Unsurprisingly, vanden Huevel is now serving as Putin’s apologist. She bizarrely wrote of his Ukraine adventurism, that his “goal is the status quo.” The 170,000 troops and the mechanized divisions that are menacing Ukraine’s border certainly don’t look like the status quo to anyone who isn’t towing the Kremlin’s party line. I know vanden Huevel is the publisher of The Nation, but I’m increasingly wondering which nation — the United States or Russia?

We need to be cold, clear-eyed realists about Putin and the perverse Russia that he has created in his revanchist former-KGB agent image. The strongman claims to represent virtues and values, but he commands a filthy rich kleptocracy of soul-selling vultures who are saturated in vice. Russia’s delusional claim of decency is betrayed by its decadence. The declarations of moral superiority belied by its amoral malignancy.

This is a failed country with tainted elections, cowardly invasions of weaker neighbors, the stifling of a free press, and the ruthless crushing of internal dissent. As contributing Washington Post columnist Frida Ghitis wrote, “Russia makes headlines for its kleptocracy, repression and mafia-style tactics…modern-day Russia may still inspire fear, but it generates very little in the way of respect.”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

SIAP.  Big news.

The world is really coming together.

There is some masterful collaboration and leadership going on with NATO right now. Individual countries make their own announcements of their policies and contributions rather than having a single front man. I think this brilliantly reminds everybody that this is an alliance and that each member is important. It also allows each country pride of ownership in their own actions.

I think this was evident in Biden's speech and follow-up Q&A last week. I believe it had been decided that no one country, not even the US, would get to hog the spotlight. NATO no longer seems like a synonym for the United States.

We may have been gifted with an opportunity for a renewal in the belief of the importance of free nations and republican institutions in the face of tyranny. Who know, maybe it will erode the blind faith in American Republicans have in their leadership.

Thanks, brave Ukraine!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Not all trolls are created equal.   Some warrant a different tactic.  

You let me know if you ever reach one of them. In all my years of ignoring trolls, I’ve never seen anyone quote a post that made me decide to stop ignoring them. Get Anastasis to admit that there was some shady stuff going on between Trump and the Russians and maybe I’ll reconsider. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Gotta admit when Rubio started tweeting about this, my first thought was ‘has to be a different Marco Rubio.’ Kinda like how Jon Favreau isn’t that guy from Swingers and Chef.

I turned on MSNBC a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy who seemed to be making sense talking.  Then I learned it was Rubio.  I was shocked.  

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

not the point of my post, but facts, no matter how irrelevant, do exist.  Putin is using a very immaterial fact disproportionately for his actions.

Interesting how before this started we kept hearing how he was going in to rescue all those poor starving Ukrainians under that savage yoke of Zelensky's tyranny.  Odd though how very little of that we are seeing compared to the well prepared eager ukrainians ready to boot his ass out of their country.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

rambo.

Have to wonder if Putin ever thought the Ukrainians might actually be preparing a defense.  That puppy is at least 3 months old, and they were there in that position when his mother gave birth.  Makes you really think how long these folks have been getting ready and how resourceful they have been.

28 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s possible that Putin misread the fragility of America democracy as he saw it play out on J6. Seems he believed the insurrectionists inspired a world wide rejection of democratic ideals that he could exploit and parlay into an expansion of his imagined empire. Talk about misreading the room.

What he gets for relying on Fake News.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Do they have drones? 

yes, a few. Turkish-made Bayraktars. That video of that dude talking to the Russian troops earlier in the thread mentioned them. I'll try to dig up the video. Might make more sense knowing that is what he talking about
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-02-26/card/ukraine-says-it-uses-turkish-made-drones-to-hit-russian-targets-DrigGO7vkGfDzbBuncnA

https://armedforces.eu/compare/country_Russia_vs_Ukraine

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1