NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There goes the neighborhood..

I thought at least when college football went completely off the rails I could fall back on Texas HS Football... this might put a big "ding" in that.

They had to make that change as other states are doing the same. Not doing it allows for the Hs kids to get poached from the state. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The interview was posted in the aggy thread on the football board but cross posting here. Talk about unhinged. 

"I researched this" lol

aka I have a bagman named Craig who I am happy to throw under the bus.

"Checked with compliance"

Aka, Only one person filed legally

"1 of 11 have NIL deal"

First, aggy fans have been saying since signing day their NIL deals got them these recruits.

Second, only one of these players got NIL according to compliance..

Stewart *probably the only one filed

Dindy

Weigman

Harris

Lucas

Anderson

Johnson

Groves-Killebrew

Taylor

Kerr

Harris

The ones who stand out there, as some kind of bs, are Dindy, Harris, and Lucas imo.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, pacman said:

"I researched this" lol

"1 of 11 have NIL deal"

First, aggy fans have been saying since signing day their NIL deals got them these recruits.

Dindy

Weigman

Harris

Lucas

Anderson

Johnson

Groves-Killebrew

Taylor

Kerr

Harris

The ones who stand out there, as some kind of bs, are Dindy, Harris, and Lucas imo.

Still think it's hilarious that people are trying to claim that a top rated kid from Florida with no ties to aggy would sign with an 8-4 program 5 days after their DC left... and it was all above board.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

"I researched this" lol

"1 of 11 have NIL deal"

Dindy

Weigman

Harris

Lucas

Anderson

Johnson

Groves-Killebrew

Taylor

Kerr

Harris

Ahem... Walter Nolen is enraged at his  omission.

Quite an interview here with Lane Kiffin, who says the quiet parts out loud. He thinks that eventually this gets resolved with a salary cap. But until then we all need to embrace pay-to-play, because that's the way. 

SI: What’s the wildest thing you’ve heard or seen, and is it sustainable?

LK: You have kids going to schools now, and some haven’t even taken a visit. [They sign] because of their NILs. You’ve got to think that it is here to stay. To say that it’s not sustainable, why? Ten years ago, no one would have said schools were going to pay coaches $10 million a year. Well, they do now.

When people argue and say there is no way donors are going to come up with the money to pay players this much? Wait, those are the same donors that pay $30 to $40 million to one coach—when they fire him! But they’re not going to raise $20 million a year for players? Yeah, they are. It just means they’re not going to give it to other things on campus, like facilities.

If there’s something big-money people are motivated to do, they do. Everyone wants to own an NFL team. It’s essentially like you’re a minority owner if you are a big-time investor [in a collective]. You get to show up on Saturday and see your product.

It is sustainable.

• Hook 'Em 1

On3: Inside Lamborghini Austin's decision to partner with Bijan Robinson

Spoiler

In the ever-changing landscape of NIL, Bijan Robinson landed one of the most eye-catching deals earlier this month with Lamborghini Austin. The Texas running back and 2022 Heisman Trophy candidate casually dropped pictures across his social media platforms of him sitting in a black Lamborghini Evo, announcing the deal to the college football world.

The deal sparked conversation across the college sports world, just the latest high-profile athlete to land a NIL partnership. The deal was not set up by a collective or brokered through a NIL exchange, though.

Actually, it all started at a recruiting event inside Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium. With the theme of Steve Sarkisian’s “All Gas No Brakes,” Texas asked luxury sports car dealerships in the area to bring vehicles to the event.

Jeremy Jaramillo, Lamborghini’s marketing director, was the representative at the event. He let wideout Jordan Whittington rev up one of the cars, and he stayed behind to network after the event.

“As I’m pulling out of the stadium in through the tunnel, Bijan Robinson’s roommate runs up to the car window,” Jaramillo told On3 on Wednesday. “He’s saying, ‘Hey can you stop real quick? I got Bijan Robinson on the phone, and he wants to know if you can do a NIL deal.’ Well, number one, I didn’t know who Bijan Robinson was because I don’t really follow college football. Number two, I didn’t even know what NIL was at the time because I wasn’t following college football.

“So I spoke to Bijan on the phone, and I told him ‘Hey, if you give me some time, let me figure out what NIL is. I’ll speak to one of our managing partners about it and see if it’s something they’re interested in.”

From there, Robinson met up with Jaramillo and Bruce Knox, one of the owners of Lamborghini Austin, at a Grand Prix motorcycle racing event at COTA International Raceway. The parties discussed what the star running back was looking for and got to know him. After speaking with Robinson, Lamborghini worked out a deal with his agent.

While Jaramillo declined to give specifics on the deal, the Texas running back is allowed to drive a Lamborghini off the lot and the contract is a year long, set to expire in the spring of 2023.

“At the end of the day, we’re not boosters,” Jaramillo said. “We’re not someone who, you know, if they lose to OU, that’s the end of everything kind of people. We’re just, more or less, a local business supporting a local business. … Right now, we just want to have our brand associated with Bijan’s brand because it’s brand exposure for both parties. He wants to exude excellence on the field. That’s what Lamborghini’s brand is associated with: exuding excellence and top-notch standards. That’s really what we’re looking at the biggest piece of this partnership is between us.”

Jaramillo said the deal has even caught the attention at Lamborghini’s headquarters in Italy. And while Lamborghini Austin never set off to become an active NIL partner with Texas, future plans are already in the works.

“It was so organic how it happened,” Jaramillo said. “And nonetheless, ironically, it ended up working backward. Now, we have been working with the athletic department and coach Sarkisian, and we got some future things in the works.”

• Hook 'Em 9

14 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

On3: Inside Lamborghini Austin's decision to partner with Bijan Robinson

“As I’m pulling out of the stadium in through the tunnel, Bijan Robinson’s roommate runs up to the car window,” Jaramillo told On3 on Wednesday. “He’s saying, ‘Hey can you stop real quick? I got Bijan Robinson on the phone, and he wants to know if you can do a NIL deal.’ Well, number one, I didn’t know who Bijan Robinson was because I don’t really follow college football. Number two, I didn’t even know what NIL was at the time because I wasn’t following college football.

James Franco Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

Stuff like this should be a boon to us eventually.  Podunk town football factories have boosters that are motivated to spend money but none of them are sitting in the largest metro area in the country without a pro sports team.  There's no reason that local tv spots and endorsement deals that go to middling pro players in other markets shouldn't go to longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Stuff like this should be a boon to us eventually.  Podunk town football factories have boosters that are motivated to spend money but none of them are sitting in the largest metro area in the country without a pro sports team.  There's no reason that local tv spots and endorsement deals that go to middling pro players in other markets shouldn't go to longhorns.

Our well funded alumni should be lining up to donate with HWH and CFC.  But hearing Ctj, Sydney, and RGB talk about the types of conversations they have this is going to be a fuck ton slower than it should to get to the point we need 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

So much NIL in this...

Lane Kiffin: “We’re a professional sport and they are professional players.”

While most in his profession pine how college football used to be or how it should be in some undefined future, Kiffin is dealing with reality on reality's terms.

ZACH BARNETT      MAY 25, 2022

For a time, it seemed Lane Kiffin adopted the Troll in Chief role out of necessity. First, he was young, brash, and looking to gain attention by poking Urban Meyer and Florida. 

By the time he got to Florida Atlantic, Kiffin was in on the joke. Being the coach who would say (or tweet) anything brought him a new identity and much-needed attention to FAU and Ole Miss. 

Now, though, Kiffin has worn the outsider's clothing so long that he can say anything and not fret about the consequences. Or maybe he was the same guy all along and we're just now in a position to hear it.

Kiffin granted an interview to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger about the state of college football, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more candid set of answers, anywhere.

"I’ve said from the beginning, players should get paid," Kiffin said. "They do the work. Why that should be limited to a scholarship check, I disagree with. And they shouldn’t be [paid] all equal. That’s not what happens in the real world. Why does their best player get paid the same as their worst player? That’s not real life."

While most in his profession pine how college football used to be or how it should be in some undefined future, Kiffin is dealing with reality on reality's terms.

Kiffin said that the NCAA isn't riding in on white horses to save the day, and that the current, booster-funded system is sustainable. 

"A professional player already has money, and they usually follow the money [in free agency]. So when you don’t have it and are three or four years away from getting money in the NFL, you take what is guaranteed," Kiffin said. "How can you blame them when a lot of them never make it to the NFL? How do you not take it?

"Why did Bryce Young not go into the portal? If you are advising Bryce Young, why do you not go into the portal and walk into Nick Saban’s office and say, ‘Hey, I want to be here, but I’ve got to protect myself so I’m going to go into the portal. And I want to come back as long as it’s matched with what I get out there.’ The kid would make 10 times what he would have made. How’s that not going to happen all the time? It should. It will."

Read the full interview here.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What’s the implication, here? Is he UM’s “NIL” sugar daddy?

Yes.  Although the IPO for his SPAC failed spectacularly, he's probably (maybe?) worth billions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-24/mega-spac-mints-a-21-billion-fortune-that-collapses-in-minutes

Edited by Hornlover

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Good thing we are doing everything legally - buncha fuckin jokers 

Getting wall street to fund your NIL initiative is pretty next level. Are you sure you can't think of some Vanuatu ponzi scheme involving grassfed sausage links and mcRibs?

Edited by Vertigo

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-coach-ryan-day-puts-a-number-on-nil-cost-says-buckeyes-need-13-million-to-keep-roster-intact/

"We need some kind of transparency in name, image and likeness deals to verify that players are doing what they need to do to have the opportunity to make money in name, image and likeness," Saban said. "And believe me, I'm all for players making as much as they can make, OK. But I also think that we've got to have some uniform, transparent way to do that.”

First time I’m seeing this put out there. It’s the most obvious thing to me. 

Edit: put in wrong link, also, @BurntOrange&White already posted a 24/7 article about the Ryan Day comments and I didn’t see it. But that article didn’t have Saban’s comments, which are pertinent to me. 

Edited by SL Xpress

sure that would be best, but we already have rules like them that are useless because the ncaa has no power to investigate nor any great authority to punish. So I wonder what the procedural and legal mechanism to do this would be. If it's just some ncaa official asking each party if they're doing the work than what good is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

sure that would be best, but we already have rules like them that are useless because the ncaa has no power to investigate nor any great authority to punish. So I wonder what the procedural and legal mechanism to do this would be. If it's just some ncaa official asking each party if they're doing the work than what good is it?

I’m not sure what this is in reference to. Are you addressing the quote from Saban I posted, or something else in the thread? 

Because there’s no official movement right now towards requiring transparency, nor any attempt to enforce it. I’m not sure why you would be under that impression. 

7 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m not sure what this is in reference to. Are you addressing the quote from Saban I posted, or something else in the thread? 

Because there’s no official movement right now towards requiring transparency, nor any attempt to enforce it. I’m not sure why you would be under that impression. 

yeah to the quote. There's a movement by some coaches and media persons to "reign in" NIL laws, however it's shallow thinking without fixing the deeper structural issues with enforcing the rules.

43 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah to the quote. There's a movement by some coaches and media persons to "reign in" NIL laws, however it's shallow thinking without fixing the deeper structural issues with enforcing the rules.

I don’t think there’s any hope of enforcing the rules. Which rules would you like to see enforced? I also find people echoing Lane Kiffen’s calls for some kind of salary cap as being obtuse. That’s not a reasonable suggestion, either. 

However, requiring student athletes to register their NIL deals with the school they’re enrolled in, and then requiring those schools to log the deals in a transparent database are all perfectly allowable, especially if it’s not done with some kind of constraint. 

Any enforcement against participants keeping NIL deals secretive is not possible right now, because there’s no rule about reporting them. 

The deeper structural issue regarding enforcing rules about NIL is that it’s an impossibility. 

The ONLY reasonable thing that can be done right now is to create transparency in the process, and then enforce that. It won’t be perfect by any means, but it’s a heck of a lot easier to enforce against entities choosing to keep NIL agreements under wraps, than it is to say that one NIL deal is okay while another is not. 

I’ve been arguing the ONLY thing that can be done right now is to bring more transparency. Outside of congressional involvement - which we’re not close to getting and is going to be its own sort of fiasco when it finally arrives - at best we’re going to see a patchwork of state wide laws that are more designed to keep organizations within their borders competitive than looking to crack down on anything. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/31/2022 at 10:49 PM, Hookem2147 said:

This has probably been asked and answered before so apologies for asking again, but is occupy left field foundation set up similarly to Horns with Hearts? Did a quick look around the OLFF site and it says they are an approved 501(c)(3).

Technically I guess, they have not raised near the amount of money and it’s basically all crowd sourced…dude legit filed his 501c3 paperwork in an hour on legal zoom so let’s see how long it lasts. HWH has none of these concerns

On 6/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Number sounds decently accurate honestly

On 6/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

That guy is a fucking moron

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

So, how long until they just remove all amateurism rules and the only rules are that players have to be enrolled in college and only get 5 years to play 4?  The only reason for keeping the college enrollment requirement would be that “college” sports become direct competitors to the NFL/NBA without it, and the established pro leagues would then crush the school league.

Still, a transparent bidding war for players is better than a bidding war with arbitrary and nonsensical rules where 1/3 of the people follow the rules, 1/3 of the people cheat, and 1/3 of the people can’t even figure out the rules - and nobody enforces any of them.  Universities pay wages to other students that provide a service.  Just think of them as really expensive research assistants, start signing them to contracts that have some real teeth for both parties instead of these pretend arrangements, and be done with it.

That isn’t going to work, though. Universities are not going to negotiate directly to pay different salaries to different players. Or if they are, we’re a long ways from it. The most that will happen is that players will have the amount they’re paid across the board increase. Perhaps even substantially.

It’s unclear how NIL will impact Title IX. You know what will impact Title IX? Directly paying players. 

At the end of the day, as long as there is a gap between how much a university is willing to spend to have a player play for the school, and how much they’re actually worth in terms of the revenue/prestige/chest thumping they create for the school, there’s going to be a market that creates a financial incentive for them to come play at different places willing to compensate them at closer to their market worth. 

The University of Alabama is not going to be able to sign a high rated quarterback to a $1m per year contract. There’s too much hair all over it, from the university level, title IX level, a state law level, and federal and state employment laws. It changes the relationship so fundamentally and radically, it simply won’t be accepted. First and foremost you’re breaking federal law to have a $15m payroll for football and not have a similar per student payroll for women’s gymnastics. 

Whatever is done short of that will have to be made up in other ways. So if a university pays all their athletes a stipend of $50k per year above and beyond the full scholarship and all the support that goes with it, some other fund is going to have to come along and make up the difference between the $1m (the figure can easily be more) or whatever the market rate is and the $50k per year, whether it’s above or below the table. 

That’s been going on since time immemorial, of course, and was a big reason for the Ivy Leagues leaving Div I. It’s just with NIL everything has been accelerated. 

The first key change that needs to happen is transparency with NIL. Make a rule that a student athlete can lose eligibility if they accept NIL money without reporting it to their school. Make each school subject to sanctions if they don’t report the NIL deals. And then enforce it the best you can. That’s the most that can be done right now. It’s not a solution, but it would create a heck of a lot better environment than exists currently. Any “solutions” at the moment can only be created by Congress. We’re a long ways away from having Congress address this. Until then, the more information, and the more transparency, the better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent. We'd just like to thank you for forcing the NCAA to investigate Aggy and Oklahoma for all of their recruiting violations, and to punish them for their wicked behavior! Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen.
200.gif

Lol, your little deity will not come through for you on this..

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I'm sure this is all playing out just like the NCAA envisioned 

It absolutely is. Just like the loss in 1984 to Georgia and OU in the Supreme Court played out exactly how they envisioned. 

The bottom line is without some kind of antitrust relief granted through Congress, the NCAA has always operated outside the law. They’ve never had the authority to do what they’re supposed to do. Which is a big part of why they’ve been so ineffective at it. That and they serve too many masters as an institution. Too many conflicts of interest between the schools under their umbrella. Oh well. Time is short for the NCAA to matter any more. We’ll see how the next group does.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh no players can make money and get luxury cars after being exploited for decades! I'll stop watching!!!!!!! muh amateurism! 

Dumbest shit ever, especially given that NIL will be a place where we can be at the top of the food chain.

Not if we keep winning in non revenue sports. I have it on good authority you can’t have both. 

• Haha 4