Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

2 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Coming out that Chris Rock didn’t even write his set(I can’t confirm it). Lol some white boy wrote that joke and Rock got slapped for it.

No one is making Chris read jokes other people have written. If he used writers then he used writers, read it over, and decided to read it on stage and attach his name to it and take credit for it. 

Either way he didn't deserve to be hit for it. But saying "omg he didn't even write the joke" is fucking stupid. 

Was listening to "Kidd" talking about it and said he's known both of them well for over 30 years. He was pissed that this incident sullied an Oscars that they were making more inclusive. That now all anyone will talk about is the "ghetto" moment between two black men and the black man who refused to control himself. That it just feeds into the racism and justification for those beliefs.

He also wondered if Smith would have attacked a white comedian who said the same thing or if he only felt comfortable attacking a black one that he knows. When asked if he believes Smith is being emotionally abused by his wife he danced around it but hinted he thinks that's the case. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Immediately after he starts to say something where it seems he's about to just blast him but then he stops himself and does that little "serenity now" type reset and deep breath before going the safe route. I really want to know what he was about to say. 

Will Smith is runner up to Putin as guy burning his house down in 2022. He built that squeaky clean brand for over 30 years and now he's known as the the mentally weak cuck who's allowed his wife to abuse him to the point he's completely unhinged. It's disgusting to see. 

This is what makes the conspiracy crowd sound so fucking stupid.  Although, that kind of comes with the Q crowd, so I guess we shouldn't expect critical thinking from them.  It just seems like a bad decision for Will Smith, who is favored to have the greatest and most important night of his profession life, to decide to play along with a publicity stunt that makes him looks like a bitch and ruins his big night.  And his reputation as a "good dude" to the ignorant masses who don't dig too deep.  And what did Rock get out of this publicity stunt?  Getting slapped like that in front of the world is pretty embarrassing and it totally threw him off.  I imagine one of the worst parts for a guy like Rock, who can be an artist with words, was standing there looking like an idiot and not knowing what to say.  I'm gonna guess that doesn't happen to him very often.    

Have any of the Q crowd explained what their motivation would be or do they not worry about facts, logic, and common sense getting in the way....and I just answered my own question.  Never mind.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Was listening to "Kidd" talking about it and said he's known both of them well for over 30 years. He was pissed that this incident sullied an Oscars that they were making more inclusive. That now all anyone will talk about is the "ghetto" moment between two black men and the black man who refused to control himself. That it just feeds into the racism and justification for those beliefs.

He also wondered if Smith would have attacked a white comedian who said the same thing or if he only felt comfortable attacking a black one that he knows. When asked if he believes Smith is being emotionally abused by his wife he danced around it but hinted he thinks that's the case. 

I'd imagine there would be a lot of outrage if say Hugh Jackman slapped Chris.  

No one is making Chris read jokes other people have written. If he used writers then he used writers, read it over, and decided to read it on stage and attach his name to it and take credit for it. 
Either way he didn't deserve to be hit for it. But saying "omg he didn't even write the joke" is fucking stupid. 

I’m not worried about the idea he went in blind vs whatever. I don’t think he shoulda been slapped for it either.

I was more amused that it was (potentially) at least 2 people who went over that joke and said yep, let’s do it!

Personally I’m all for roasting them during these shows. I’m team Gervais for the GG and Oscars. And seeing how Regina Hall was able to joke about Smith being a cuckold and that was all fun and games for Jada, I for sure don’t think a gi Jane joke cuts deep enough.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'd imagine there would be a lot of outrage if say Hugh Jackman slapped Chris.  

What would have been interesting is if a similarly beloved actor with a squeaky clean image similar to Smith who's white, like say Tom Hanks, had done the same thing to Rock. How would that have been received? I can say with a high degree of certainty the Tiffany Haddish crowd wouldn't be applauding old Tom. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I’m not worried about the idea he went in blind vs whatever. I don’t think he shoulda been slapped for it either.

I was more amused that it was (potentially) at least 2 people who went over that joke and said yep, let’s do it!

Personally I’m all for roasting them during these shows. I’m team Gervais for the GG and Oscars. And seeing how Regina Hall was able to joke about Smith being a cuckold and that was all fun and games for Jada, I for sure don’t think a gi Jane joke cuts deep enough.

It is funny. And not accusing you of meaning something along the lines of "Rock didn't deserve it" or "it wasn't even his joke". When he goes on stage at the Oscars and says it it's his joke. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

What would have been interesting is if a similarly beloved actor with a squeaky clean image similar to Smith who's white, like say Tom Hanks, had done the same thing to Rock. How would that have been received? I can say with a high degree of certainty the Tiffany Haddish crowd wouldn't be applauding old Tom. 

Hugh Jackman has a pretty squeaky clean image I think but I get your point.  I think there'd be greater outrage, whether justified or not. 

It's not even like Jada cheated on Will with some other man. It was one of her son's friends that was living with them because he was screwed up physically and emotionally. The guy was less than half her age and suicidal.

No excuses for Will on any of it, just laughing at the idea that this 50-year-old predator is such a wilting flower that her husband needs to derail his career and image to "defend" her... all while she's sitting there in a dress that costs more than 5 teacher salaries.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Hugh Jackman has a pretty squeaky clean image I think but I get your point.  I think there'd be greater outrage, whether justified or not. 

I was going to say, although he's not as prominent as Hanks, he seems to have a real, genuine good-guy image.

I think everyone would be first utterly gobsmacked if either one slapped someone on stage at the Oscars, white or black.  But I suppose that would come up at some point due to the outrage machine.

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Literally any other racial combination would have been a bigger deal. Two white guys - white guy hitting a black guy - black guy hitting a white guy - two hot Asian chicks with oiled up tits wrestling. For whatever reason. It's just the country we live in.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

That joke felt more like an ad lib to me.  He was making another joke about WS and Jada was sitting there and that joke popped into his head.  At least I think that's what happened.  I'm more offended by how incredibly dated and unfunny the fucking joke was.  Can't wait to see you in GI Jane 2?  Of all the jokes told at the expense of Hollywood at all these award shows through all the years, that piece of shit, throwaway, adlib is the one that will go down in infamy?  Fucking offends me as a person with a well developed sense of humor more than anything.  And if this was a set up, do you really think that's the joke Rock will want people relaying when they discuss this story?  That might be more embarrassing for him than getting bitch slapped in front of the world.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

That joke felt more like an ad lib to me.  He was making another joke about WS and Jada was sitting there and that joke popped into his head.  At least I think that's what happened.  I'm more offended by how incredibly dated and unfunny the fucking joke was.  Can't wait to see you in GI Jane 2?  Of all the jokes told at the expense of Hollywood at all these award shows through all the years, that piece of shit, throwaway, adlib is the one that will go down in infamy?  Fucking offends me as a person with a well developed sense of humor more than anything.  And if this was a set up, do you really think that's the joke Rock will want people relaying when they discuss this story?  That might be more embarrassing for him than getting bitch slapped in front of the world.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Literally any other racial combination would have been a bigger deal. Two white guys - white guy hitting a black guy - black guy hitting a white guy - two hot Asian chicks with oiled up tits wrestling. For whatever reason. It's just the country we live in.

What if John Candy came back to life and had to mud wrestle four strippers?

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

To me this is what makes excusing what Smith did either disingenuous or flat out insane. Many of those excusing it would have the opposite feelings if Smith wasn't a black man. Excusing actions based on the perpetrator's race is by definition racism. 

Smith was an idiot and way out of line no matter who he is or what he looks like. Just wish far more people were calling it out as such. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

i'm not watching fox news to verify but i'm sure it will be shared in the CR if their prime time hosts go this route. which would surprise exactly nobody. 

also, regarding Haddish's take... i'm not black but i am female. there was a clip posted in another thread of a man threatening a much smaller woman on a crowded subway, yelling at her, inches from her face, verbally and physically threatening her, her man stood right next to her and did not even respond after the other man literally punched her in the face! (which she took even better than Rock, btw)

that man on the subway should have physically stepped in and i would have lost all respect for him as a mate when he didn't. even though he probably would have gotten his ass kicked. 

last night isn't even in the ballpark.. hell it ain't even the same game! in Jada's position i feel like i would have been absolutely furious at what he did, mortified to the point i'm not sure i would have remained sitting with him. i mean i get mad when my husband goes all road-ragey lol.

i respect her perspective but i would strongly disagree. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

And there's just no way that 180* reversal comes without her.  I mean, Will has agency; he's responsible for his own actions.  But one can't ignore her culpability in all this.

My friend, I don't think you can be more wrong. I was a big, quick, strong young man. Had any woman with me taken offense at something so mild, I wouldn't have gone straight to striking the person in the face. I'd be doubly reserved if the guy were half my size and just trying to be funny. Double it again if the guy indicates he was just trying to make a nice joke. Me hitting that guy would be vulgar posturing and cause for shame.

I can easily ignore her alleged culpability. She seems to be an asshole, but Smith chose to do what he did at a gathering of professional peers televised to the world. His cannot have been an unconsidered act. He had to think, rise from his seat, walk a distance towards a man not suspecting he will be attacked, and then attack him.

Fuck Will Smith.

ps I know you're not a guy looking to blame men's woes on women. This time, I just disagree with you on your post above.

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I agree with much of your sentiment, but the pampered lives enjoyed by the big stars in Hollywood follow the general path of the fabulously wealthy all over the country (New York & LA). 

You're incorrect in your description of life on a movie set. Shooting about 10 minutes of film on a good day means that most of the time on a set is about as romantic and make believe as a building site. Stars spend a lot of time in luxury trailers waiting and then have to find a way to get into a scene surrounded by a silently standing crew. That's not happily playing make believe. It's concentration and talent.

Now, at home or anywhere, you get rich people behavior. Me Too started with Weinstein and spread to famous figures in movies, TV, and music. It seems most of Jeff Epsteins clientele of rapists were not in show biz but from other areas of wealth. Some handle wealth and power with dignity and integrity. Others don't.

Will Smith's attack on Rock strikes me (purely guessing) as a rich boy-then-man looking for street cred in his holy crusade to prove he's some sort of great vessel of love protecting people who likely don't need it. How was he protecting the actresses playing Serena and Venus Williams? Sounds creepy and awkward. Smith's world view has been shaped much like Tom Cruise's: early success followed by phenomenal success. That's a lot of isolation from the real world if you throw in how their recognizability makes ordinary activities in public just about impossible.

I've been bored by Smith on screen for sometime. You have to think his power turned a movie about Venus and Serena into a story about his character. I'm told he was offered Jango Unchained but insisted the Brunhilde storyline be dropped with all characters involved leaving a movie simply about Jango wreaking havoc. 

He's a dick. He's self-important. He's a bully. He towers over Rock who stands with his hands behind his back because it's unthinkable that he will be assaulted on the stage of the fucking Academy Awards. 

I go on about this at too much length because the event is very troubling to me. Just how far are people willing to push simple civility and tolerance out of our lives? The audience at the show were still applauding and laughing after Smith returned to his seat and shouted the first time. It just seems like a perfect little scene depicting the threads of civility wearing out. Not important on it's own but indicative of something I'm concerned about.

TL:DR. I deserve it. But it is disturbing. And fuck Will Smith. On the other hand, we've got Chris Rock collecting himself and proceeding as decorously as he could. He didn't stoop to Smith's level. I would not want to be the target of Chris Rock with a mic in his hand. Rock maintained diginity. Maybe I should focus more on that part of the story.

Jesus, halfway through this, I was sure I was reading a Lobo post, only I got to the end and there was no mention of one Mister Ronan Sinatra.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

My friend, I don't think you can be more wrong. I was a big, quick, strong young man. Had any woman with me taken offense at something so mild, I wouldn't have gone straight to striking the person in the face. I'd be doubly reserved if the guy were half my size and just trying to be funny. Double it again if the guy indicates he was just trying to make a nice joke. Me hitting that guy would be vulgar posturing and cause for shame.

I can easily ignore her alleged culpability. She seems to be an asshole, but Smith chose to do what he did at a gathering of professional peers televised to the world. His cannot have been an unconsidered act. He had to think, rise from his seat, walk a distance towards a man not suspecting he will be attacked, and then attack him.

Fuck Will Smith.

ps I know you're not a guy looking to blame men's woes on women. This time, I just disagree with you on your post above.

I enjoy many of your posts but I wonder if I'm the only one who reads them in "Frasier Crane voice"

It cracks me up

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, C-Man said:

"Academy leadership strongly considered removing Will Smith from last night's broadcast following the incident. There were immediate discussions but the Academy decision makers were seated in various spots in the Dolby Theater and couldn't mobilize to make a decision before he won best actor," the source said.

Someone couldn't stand up and say "fuck that, he's outta here"?

Weak sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Weak sauce. 

Story said the true decision-makers were spread throughout the venue and couldn't coordinate in time. Didn't Best Actor get announced like 15 mins later?

my sister has known jada and will for a long time and all i can say is that is a strange relationship and they are even stranger people. jada is a very controlling person and will is not a nice guy. i was surprised but not surprised by what happened. will smith is a punk.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Weak sauce. 

i guarantee you he would've been quietly approached/walked out if he wasn't 15 min away from winning one of the biggest awards of the night.  his absence would've drawn more attention to it, and they clearly didn't want that.

and i don't think he would've been dragged out or even forced out by security.  i think it would've been more of a wellness check and reset - kinda what denzel and tyler perry tried to do.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A bigger deal? It's literally everywhere. Something like this from Tom Hanks would be weird as shit because it'd be from out of nowhere. Will Smith has been in the news over the last few years for his seemingly toxic relationship so while surprising as hell, is just part of that ongoing story.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i guarantee you he would've been quietly approached/walked out if he wasn't 15 min away from winning one of the biggest awards of the night.  his absence would've drawn more attention to it, and they clearly didn't want that.

Yeah, but think of the memes!

5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously, you just slapped a man. i cannot imagine a situation where i'm slapping another dude. i can imagine fighting, i guess, though my bitch ass would tend to avoid actual physical fighting. 

but if you are going up there to confront the man, have the courtesy of making a fist. jesus christ.

If a man is going to slap another man, it better be a backhanded slap...just to inject a whole extra level of absolute disrespect.  

• Like 1

Well, this should shut up the stupid-ass conspiracy theorists on this thread. Academy is condemns Smith's actinos, is investigating and "strongly considered" removing Smith from the telecast after slapping Rock and before winning Best Actor.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/entertainment/academy-members-discuss-will-smith-oscars-slap/index.html
(CNN)The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in a statement issued on Monday condemned the actions of best actor winner Will Smith after the "King Richard" star stormed the stage and slapped presenter Chris Rock in the face during Sunday's Oscars ceremony.
"The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show," the statement said. "We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law."
Earlier on Monday, CNN learned that the Academy leadership "strongly considered" removing Smith from the Oscars telecast after the incident, according to a source close to the situation. 
"Academy leadership strongly considered removing Will Smith from last night's broadcast following the incident. There were immediate discussions but the Academy decision makers were seated in various spots in the Dolby Theater and couldn't mobilize to make a decision before he won best actor," the source said.
Following the ceremony, the Academy Awards tweeted a short statement about the on-stage incident that read: "The Academy does not condone violence of any form. Tonight we are delighted to celebrate our 94th Academy Awards winners, who deserve this moment of recognition from their peers and movie lovers around the world."
At least a dozen members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, the organization behind the Oscars, met virtually on Monday morning to discuss a response to Smith slapping Rock, according to two sources with knowledge of the meeting.
The meeting was described as "heated" and "divided." There was no agreement on further action, according to the sources.
The dozen members who met on their own volition and are being described as influential and recognizable members of the Academy, including actors and directors. The group does not have any disciplinary power, but they are considered high profile enough that the Board of Governor's for the Academy could be influenced in any response they may have.
Some people on the call said the Academy mishandled the incident with its initial tweet. Others feel that the situation was handled properly and no further steps should be taken, according to the sources who spoke to CNN.
It's unclear if the Academy leadership is planning on meeting to discuss the unprecedented situation. CNN has contacted the Academy for further comment.
The Academy's Board of Governors has the power to discipline members who violate their code of conduct through a vote for suspension or expulsion from the Academy.
CNN has reached out to Smith's representatives for comment.
There are more than 9,000 voting members of the Academy, comprised of Hollywood artists and film executives.

Nope. CNN. Don’t bother.
  • Hook 'Em 2