Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

Bill Maher spent quite a bit of time on the topic this weekend...he was at the Vanity Fair after party and said he was talking to 'a very well respected and famous member of Hollywood who was AA'..

basically Bill said something along the lines of "i remarked how restrained and calm Chris Rock had reacted and he (the AA) said 'he had to be, bc in that moment he was 'carrying the weight of his race'."

so one...i thought he was talking about Denzel, but given that^ tepid statement i guess it was someone else...maybe Perry, or Sam Jackson... although I imagine Jackson saying something much colorful lol. was Idris Elba there?

anyways, whoever it was...interesting point i had not considered, bc why would i? #whiteprivilege lol. but i could see it, the idea if Rock had responded in kind, what kind of story would have been written.

but Rock is a comedian and wordsmith by trade... so if there were any 'responding in kind' it would have been him punching with words. probably right in the gut which, given Smith's obvious emotional and mental stress, would have resulted in the same (i.e. a basic brawl onstage).

which was the person's point, and how that would have undoubtedly (and wrongly) given license to the notion it reflected on the AA population as a whole.

Which the very notion is born of racism. It's condemning the whole based on the actions of a few. Which is something that doesn't happen to whites in America. When a white celebrity does something stupid or criminal no one says they're bringing down their race. 

That's a completely unfair burden to place on any individual. No individual speaks for or represents a race or ethnicity

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

If you go to a comedy club anywhere and you’re sitting in the front row you have to be prepared for jokes. Just how it is. Works the same at the Oscar’s. 

Anyway, not sure how old this video is, but oooof. 

It’s amazing that someone this rich and powerful could be under one person’s thumb so badly. 

*Oscars

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

If you go to a comedy club anywhere and you’re sitting in the front row you have to be prepared for jokes. Just how it is. Works the same at the Oscar’s. 

Anyway, not sure how old this video is, but oooof. 

It’s amazing that someone this rich and powerful could be under one person’s thumb so badly. 

No sympathy.  He has earned every bit of where he is at today.

But geez that is a screwed up household. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I just don't get it.  She's a G-list nobody outside of her marriage to him.  Leave that bitch.

Edited by TriStone
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 4/3/2022 at 9:35 AM, Helobious said:

You know how many females want to fuck that guy? A lot. I’d say that qualifies you as manly if that’s the case. That’s like ingrained in human DNA, attract the opposite sex. And he’s achieving that. 

How does it augment your manly argument/definition if you are attracting not just the opposite sex?

On 4/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, Hermanator said:

Which the very notion is born of racism. It's condemning the whole based on the actions of a few. Which is something that doesn't happen to whites in America. When a white celebrity does something stupid or criminal no one says they're bringing down their race. 

That's a completely unfair burden to place on any individual. No individual speaks for or represents a race or ethnicity

Right.  I don’t disagree with this but I think there would be a diffeeent level of outrage if Will were white

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m guessing if he gets nominated again before the 10 years are up they’ll lift the ban. Because they’re all pussies.

How does someone get nominated if they're banned? I would assume his name isn't under consideration for any academy award during the ban. 

How does someone get nominated if they're banned? I would assume his name isn't under consideration for any academy award during the ban. 

Looks like he can still be nominated and win.

Smith's resignation means that he is no longer part of the Academy's voting body, but it does not prevent the Oscar winner from being nominated in the future, a source with knowledge previously told CNN.

Smith can also still be nominated despite being barred from attending the Oscars because "the standards of conduct rules" at play in today's action "do not apply to awards eligibility," a source close to the Academy with direct knowledge of the rules told CNN on Friday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/08/entertainment/will-smith-academy-sanctions-decision/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twcnnbrk&utm_content=2022-04-08T19%3A02%3A35&utm_term=link&fbclid=IwAR2LFbvOg-8elguY6aFryEFpGCnu8ae9WPXD6__RIrgcdzyEgwf7QWE4Zz0

• 1 year later...
57 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Imploded his career over a comment about the woman he wasn't even living with? What a terrible decision. 

He is an emotionally abused man. She always seemed like a controlling, manipulative cunt, and he allowed himself to be played and owned by her. He prob did that hoping to win points with her. Damn, knowing this makes what he did even more sad and pathetic.

She seems genuinely angry that Will is famous and she is not, or more accurately that she's only famous because of him and she's determined to punish him for it.

She would probably more happy if they had been just scraping by but she got to shine between the two of them.

Something about this crazy lady puts her on my radar. She clearly has the Amazing Snapping Undefeated... I always thought it would be Halle Berry that would be my crazy old lady, but Jada is really putting up a fight. 

Maybe I should give her a call. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Slacks said:

Something about this crazy lady puts her on my radar. She clearly has the Amazing Snapping Undefeated... I always thought it would be Halle Berry that would be my crazy old lady, but Jada is really putting up a fight. 

You need practice before you jump into that pool.  I suggest starting here and here.

13 hours ago, Slacks said:

I don't think she answers calls from your side anymore. NTTIAWWT.

• Hook 'Em 1