Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

I guess the question I have is, why hasn’t Will Smith been arrested? If a cop sees you battering another person does that not remove the need for Rock’s cooperation?

First, this would have been a misdemeanor battery. Second, DAs are far less likely to pursue charges (especially misdemeanors) if the victim is uncooperative. What if Will Smith took the stand and said "it was staged. we planned the whole thing. Rock was in on it." How does the DA counter that evidence without Rock? I've only personally seen one misdemeanor case where the LA DA's office went forward all the way to trial with an uncooperative witness. A DV case where there were multiple past reports of DV and the DAs felt like they had to go after the guy because they believed she was non-cooperative due to her fear of the defendant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

First, this would have been a misdemeanor battery. Second, DAs are far less likely to pursue charges (especially misdemeanors) if the victim is uncooperative. What if Will Smith took the stand and said "it was staged. we planned the whole thing. Rock was in on it." How does the DA counter that evidence without Rock? I've only personally seen one misdemeanor case where the LA DA's office went forward all the way to trial with an uncooperative witness. A DV case where there were multiple past reports of DV and the DAs felt like they had to go after the guy because they believed she was non-cooperative due to her fear of the defendant. 

I don't think that would be terribly difficult to confirm or deny that it was staged and I doubt people want to lie for Will Smith.   If it were private I think deferring to the victim to press charges is fine, but once it is in the public domain, and it could not have been more public that that, they should act.  We shouldn't normalize this behavior or selectively apply the law.  But I guess I am just a idealist.  Thank you for the perspective though.  I'll kindly go fuck myself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I don't think that would be terribly difficult to confirm or deny that it was staged and I doubt people want to lie for Will Smith.   If it were private I think deferring to the victim to press charges is fine, but once it is in the public domain, and it could not have been more public that that, they should act.  We shouldn't normalize this behavior or selectively apply the law.  But I guess I am just a idealist.  Thank you for the perspective though.  I'll kindly go fuck myself.  

I get your perspective. It makes sense logically, and you are right that you could still get a conviction at trial even without Rock, but it really isnt as easy as it sounds. All defense needs is a sliver of reasonable doubt. How do your prove it wasn't staged? All that is needed to stage the act was the cooperation of Rock and Smith. Rock won't show and you cant compel Smith to testify. Even if you subpoena every member of the Smith and Rock family (which the defense attorney could arguably get excluded under relevance), how can they say with certainty that there was no plan between the two men? 

"were you with Will Smith every moment for the last several months?"

"No."

"So how can't say whether Rock and Mr. Smith ever discussed staging this act at the Oscars?"

"Well, he never said anything about it..."

"But you can't say with certainty that Mr. Rock and Mr. Smith ever spoke about the Oscars leading up to it?"

"No, but . . . "

I also don't think its selective enforcement and, given the blanket dismissals that DAs ask for when the victim no-shows, its arguable that a prosecution in this case would be selective enforcement against Smith.

• Hook 'Em 2

From SFGate.com:

I don't believe for a minute that Will Smith's "slap" of Chris Rock at the Academy Awards on Sunday night was real. No way. No how. No evidence to the contrary — no matter how compelling — can persuade me to abandon my world view that "elites lie, my own research is always better."

The Academy — a cabal of Hollywood scum with a penchant for drinking the blood of children — is clearly seeking to improve the Oscars broadcast's sagging ratings and disappointing crowd size. They tried to make the show move faster by not televising certain awards. They included categories for top "fan-favorite movies" and "cheer moments" in an attempt to appease Real Americans (TM) who prefer superhero movies and are fed up with the virtue signaling in indie movies. 

And because Tom Hanks has finally been jailed for his crimes, they needed something to distract us from their degeneracy. Enter the "slap heard around the world," an event I am about to expose as the biggest hoax perpetrated by our elites since they brainwashed millions of Americans into believing the moon landing was real.

Let's start with the joke that prompted the "slap." Smith can clearly be seen laughing at Rock remarking that he will soon be seeing Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, in a "G.I. Jane" sequel on account of her bald head.

What's that you say? Pinkett Smith is clearly not laughing? And it's possible that she said something to her husband, who then felt compelled to defend his wife's honor? And that he'd be particularly compelled after feeling shame for laughing at a joke at her expense? 

Well first, I’d say that if Smith is incapable of feeling shame for “After Earth,” he’s incapable of feeling shame for anything. Furthermore, there's no way she could have had the time to say something that'd prompt him to leap on stage with such haste. Look at how quickly Smith is on stage after the joke's conclusion! It's inconceivable that she'd have the time to say anything persuasive enough to get him to confront Rock.

Oh, I already know what you're going to say next. "She didn't have to say anything," you say. "She could have conveyed her displeasure with one look, and Smith would know what she meant," you continue.

"She's been open about her struggles with alopecia, a condition that causes hair loss, and Will Smith has been open about feeling guilt over not defending his mother against his verbally and physically abusive father. Furthermore, the pair's relationship has been turbulent and it's possible Smith — who already has beef with Chris Rock over jabs at his wife — lost it in that moment after catching her glare."

You say all of this, with citations and all, as I stand next to my Charlie Day wall. Undeterred, I ask you the simple question, "If it was real, why did it look so fake?" You, a normie social media user, reply with this slow-motion video of the "slap" that does make it look as if Smith made contact.

Me, a savvy user of everything ranging from Twitter to 8kun, knows how to spot a deepfake when I see one. I also know that Smith smirked as he walked away, and no, it's definitely not possible that Smith's smirk can be attributed to him feeling satisfaction over slapping his wife's tormenter. Not possible at all.

Perhaps you're one of the more reasonable useful idiots our elites employ, in which case, you might be willing to cede some ground. You'd say, "I understand how some might have believed the slap was staged right after it happened, but I'm not sure how you can still believe that after the immediate aftermath, Smith's tearful and chaotic acceptance speech, the fallout from the incident, and the reactions of those in the crowd."

But I already told you how this story ends. No amount of facts, logic, reason, video evidence or an intervention by my closest friends and family can persuade me of your position. And because me harboring such beliefs doesn’t ever lead to negative societal consequences, I kindly suggest that we agree to disagree.

40 minutes ago, Nivek said:

There are plenty that think it was fake as is.  Beyond hollywood or being rich and getting special treatment a hell of a lot worse fights occur in the real world without any arrests.  If you slap someone on camera and the person laughs and walks away or vice versa the police aren't scrambling to arrest anyone no matter who you are.  This is akin to wanting football players arrested for dirty hits.  

39 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There are plenty that think it was fake as is.  Beyond hollywood or being rich and getting special treatment a hell of a lot worse fights occur in the real world without any arrests.  If you slap someone on camera and the person laughs and walks away or vice versa the police aren't scrambling to arrest anyone no matter who you are.  This is akin to wanting football players arrested for dirty hits.  

This is a terrible comparison and you should feel ashamed for posting this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The Academy says they asked him to leave and Will Smith refused. They might expel him from the Academy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-chris-rock-academy-disciplinary-proceedings-1235122743/

The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy.

Consistent with the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, as well as California law, Mr. Smith is being provided at least 15 days’ notice of a vote regarding his violations and sanctions, and the opportunity to be heard beforehand by means of a written response. At the next board meeting on April 18, the Academy may take any disciplinary action, which may include suspension, expulsion, or other sanctions permitted by the Bylaws and Standards of Conduct.

Mr. Smith’s actions at the 94th Oscars were a deeply shocking, traumatic event to witness in-person and on television. Mr. Rock, we apologize to you for what you experienced on our stage and thank you for your resilience in that moment. We also apologize to our nominees, guests and viewers for what transpired during what should have been a celebratory event.

Things unfolded in a way we could not have anticipated. While we would like to clarify that Mr. Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

"How was your weekend?" he quipped, to which the audience responded with laughter. 

"I don't have a bunch of s*** to say about that, so if you came here for that," he said, paused and then continued, "I had written a whole show before this weekend. I'm still processing what happened, so at some point I'll talk about that s***. It'll be serious. It'll be funny, but right now I'm going to tell some jokes."

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Frank The Tank said:

Saying “We asked him to leave and he refused” today is a wildly different statement than what they originally put out there as “it happened fast and we weren’t all in one place and couldn’t all get together for a response before he won”

Someone probably asked him to leave over it and he said no and that person  didn’t have the power to make it happen. Like someone said you should probably leave and Will was like nah. Them saying they could have handled it better probably means sent someone to do it that could enforce it.

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Smith will get suspended a year.

sounds about right. indefinitely/permanently wouldn’t surprise me.

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jada will almost certainly be a 2023 presenter to draw eyeballs. 

zero chance. my guess is she doesn’t attend an award show for several years if ever again. 

25 minutes ago, Covri said:

Someone probably asked him to leave over it and he said no and that person  didn’t have the power to make it happen. Like someone said you should probably leave and Will was like nah. Them saying they could have handled it better probably means sent someone to do it that could enforce it.

fwiw, the report i read said that they asked him to leave "through his reps" which is not even close to the same thing.

going to tell his publicist that he needs to leave and then his publicist saying, "ok, i'll mention that to him" is a plan with an expected success rate of zero.

the academy handled it shittily because they had no idea how to handle something like this because they never ever thought they would have to.  yeah, they blew it, but that's just how it goes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agreed. Pressing charges when Rock doesn’t want to is the dumbest fucking idea ever. 

Anyone who thinks this was staged is trying way too hard to be contrarian, dumb, or both. 

Carrey’s comments were great, especially when he pushed back hard at King’s idiot notion this “escalated”. 

6 hours ago, freyguy said:

So they may throw him out of their fruity little club?  Yeah right....

I was pissed to see Denzel, Madea and Bradley Cooper each go over there and suck him off, one after another.  Noone gave a shit about Chris.

Denzel talked to Chris after it happened.  Not sure about Cooper.  Madea?  WTF she doing there?  Looking for the MTV awards?

he's had bust after bust. he and his family were punchlines before this incident. all this did is insure they will continue to be punchlines for another few years.

i didn't see his latest movie because of him. he just gave me additional incentive not to see his movies. but then again, not sure who's going to cast him or his family after this shitshow. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

he's had bust after bust. he and his family were punchlines before this incident. all this did is insure they will continue to be punchlines for another few years.

i didn't see his latest movie because of him. he just gave me additional incentive not to see his movies. but then again, not sure who's going to cast him or his family after this shitshow. 

they'll have a "reality show"; count on it. 

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

*ensure*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume the expulsion smoke is posturing. Smith will get suspended a year. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Jada will almost certainly be a 2023 presenter to draw eyeballs. 

I’m not sure anything could motivate me to watch the Oscars. Naked women would do it but I’m not sure what else. Maybe Halle Berry would be willing. I’d tune in to see that.