Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah he’s been kind of a pompous ass ever since he got his online doctorate in underwater basket weaving. 

He’s no more a pompous ass than anyone else here who spouts off like they’re experts in every field under the sun because they googled and read Wikipedia about topic X or Y

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Will Smith was afraid that he'd no longer be an A-list celebrity if Americans thought he was divorced?

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865wytz4eks9sz0nlng8

Exactly. Brad Pitt seems to be doing okay and he went through something messier with (at the time) an actual A-list wife. That’s one of the reason I don’t buy in to the creepy Scientology conspiracy theories about him staying in a cuckold relationship and the other is it’s 2022.

Why would a Will Smith be afraid of coming out as gay? If anything that would revive his career and popularity (I know it sounds weird to say after winning an Oscar for a movie nobody saw). He would be celebrated and honored and considered brave and tap into a culture and demographic of fans that have been turned off by him. Heck he might even look redeemable from all this Jada crap and get to rewrite the story that he’s the real victim and get a lot of sympathy.

But Occam’s razor is he’s not gay, just a weirdo.

Edited by TurkeyChew

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Know some people who know some people.

Those people happen to be Scientologists.  And Will, like Travolta, has been mixed up in their bullshit for a minute. 

Ain't no hard evidence here, but it adds up.  Will needs a beard.  Jada (was) a good 'un.  Until she wanted to get some real dick that was into her.  She splits.  Will panics because if you want to be an A-lister who appeals to the majority of Americans you gotta keep up appearances a la Tom Cruise.  So he gets her back but she's putting him through the ringer.  He can't bail because then it all comes out.  So Jada wears the pants in that fucked up family.  And of course, he's being ridiculed for being a cuckold, etc.  Can't sit well with a guy who is used to having everything go his way. 

If you play the tape back, Will is laughing at Rock's joke.  People think he went nuts because he saw Jada looking pissed, but they only think that because the camera cut to her reaction right before he got up.  In reality, you can hear Rock say "Aw, that was a nice one."  Implying he could have been making jokes about Will being a cuck.  THAT'S when Will gets up, acts a fool, and then is trying to hold back tears while yelling once he gets back to his seat.  He panicked.  Wife who owns the keys to his life is pissed and Rock is hinting about some serious shit Will has already taken plenty of heat for.  Time to flip the fuck out.   

Dude is having a mental breakdown because Jada has the goods on him and he's trapped.  Or maybe he just really misses his wife's hair.  Who the fuck knows. 

I haven't watched every episode of Fresh Prince, but I too sat through I Am Legend on a date.  Decent enough flick.  Ending definitely could have been better.  Should have stuck more to the novel where he's actually seen as the bad guy by all the vamps. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Even before the slap heard around the world, the Oscars was having a come-back: the broadcast drawing nearly 15.36 million viewers — a huge 56% jump from last year’s 9.85 million

I would imagine for at least next year, Oscars will be more intriguing to try and catch for the drama?

13 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Nice apology that was dumb. He doesn’t owe anyone anything. And, I would’ve loved it had he responded with “you’d be less pissed if I’d slept with her / you’d let me sleep with her.”  He took the high road, which is admirable, but apologizing is dumb. Fuck the Smiths. They are weirdos and all of their careers are over. 

Agree with everything you said but the last part.  This ain't cancelling them.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

He’s no more a pompous ass than anyone else here who spouts off like they’re experts in every field under the sun because they googled and read Wikipedia about topic X or Y

I did my own research, motherfucker.  You go ahead and listen to your so-called "experts."

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know that as a young man, I was certainly volunteered for fights by various girls.  For the most part, I obliged.  But there was definitely once that I thought "are you out of your fucking mind?".  And you're exactly right--it is abusive.

We've been subjected to a lot of talk over the past few years about "toxic masculinity."  But at some point, we need to talk about toxic femininity.  Because sitting there and encouraging violence without bearing any of the consequences of that violence is some serious bullshit.

I was at a trial in Atlanta a few years ago, wherein, a “lady” wanted to rob a guy getting money out of an ATM for a $50 hooker, told a young dumb 16 year old with a gun that the guy had disrespected her and called him a pussy. Said kid walks up and shoots the guy in the head twice, takes all the money he had on his body and gives it to the “lady”. The lady only got hit with 5 months because she testified against the kid saying it was all his idea, and the kid got life.
Only reason I know this is because the real story was talked about ad nauseam by the witnesses that knew the kid and “lady” and as it all went down. I was never so happy to be out of a room as much as that witness room. Streets are crazy. 

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

intentionally calling people by the wrong name is a sick burn to a subset of people. feels like something you’d see on texags.

Whatever, Henry Gandalf!

5 hours ago, hpslugga said:

image.png.7b678f17eb33f4db41f380b425194ce8.png

Narrator: She still had another affair. 

Edited by Droopy
Words are hard.
  • Like 1

I mean everyone’s take on a video makes me understand the Bible better. Like if God came down to earth and said “what’s up bitches?” And it was filmed and witnessed by millions, millions more would have an alternative take…because. 

all I know is Will seems like a weird mofo. And his wife is batshit from the few episodes of her talk show online I watched. She is like Tom Cruise’s Mimi Rogers! And we know Mimi is the reason Tom went Scientology. 

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Rock is bracing for contact while smith is 10 feet away from him.

Pic is lol.  But I think Rock leaned in thinking Will was gona say/whisper something to him to apologize or something.  We can't see Will's face as he is in front of Rock, but he probably had a smirk and didn't look angry.

intentionally calling people by the wrong name is a sick burn to a subset of people. feels like something you’d see on texags.

Jesus Christ some of you really can’t get past shit. Alex was either a typo or auto correct error. There was no Alex conspiracy to do a sick burn. I will straight out say ALEC Baldwin is a motherfucker who killed that poor woman and has not accepted an iota of responsibility. I hope they take everything he fucking has.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Jesus Christ some of you really can’t get past shit. Alex was either a typo or auto correct error. There was no Alex conspiracy to do a sick burn. I will straight out say ALEC Baldwin is a motherfucker who killed that poor woman and has not accepted an iota of responsibility. I hope they take everything he fucking has.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I read the entire piece and I have no idea what her point is other than, "Meh, no big deal."

Whites and blacks have basically the same attitude about it, whites slightly more "he shouldn't have done it" than blacks. Blacks identical to Hispanic.

An interesting breakdown in the provided poll is age difference. Older folks are far more strongly against Smith than younger generations, which is funny since part of the social defense of Smith is how he is "defending his woman" in a more traditional view of society.

18-29yo: 40% "not acceptable"

65+ yo: 77% "not acceptable"

29 minutes ago, Covri said:

Her take is pretty straight forward and level headed. Most of us would agree with most of it. Not sure why she gets so much hate, and I doubt the people that trash her even bother to read the article. 

You obviously haven’t seen her episode of Below Deck, she’s a raging cunt.  Also she thinks she’s way more important than she actually is….

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I discovered today that September is Alopecia Awareness Month, so yeah, you're a survivor. You are thriving, queen, and we're all here for it. Periodt.

I don't think it's necessary to start diminishing and down-playing auto-immune diseases just because Will Smith is an idiot and his wife seems to be a Jezebel.