Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

For the love of god why couldn’t Chris Rock think up “damn Will, you would have been less pissed if I slept with your wife” 

12 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That would’ve been perfect. Unfortunately, Rock was just too surprised by the entire thing.

I think Rock took a moment to pick his best course of action. He decided, like a responsible adult, not to throw gas on the fire. He could have chosen to obliquely needle Smith instead of the direct insult described above. Rock is wit. He thankfully held his fire because he kept sight on what would be best on a world stage.

As I said on another post, I would not want to be the person Rock is focusing his anger at with a mic in his hand.

Fuck Will Smith. His good guy image from the past will sustain much of his popularity even though it shouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't think that was a staged bit at all, but it was definitely a stage slap.  Rock didn't react strongly because he wasn't hit very hard.

Smith has been publicly emasculated by his wife and acted exactly like a guy whose been publicly emasculated by his wife.

This is probably what happened.  He had a pretty long walk to think about it and could have made it a funny moment but he's a cuck so had to do something for his wife.  The screaming just proved he's batshit.

Don’t know if you’re married or not but let’s say the wife lost her hair because of cancer and he made that joke. Is that still ok? Or, is it about the degrees of disease a wife has that makes it a tasteless joke? Do you have any idea how devastating it is for a woman to lose her hair due to a disease?  Fuck off

Um, she is a public figure. Public figures get made fun of and most take it in good stride. Arnold loved the Hanz and Franz stuff, even though Kevin Nielsen was worried. Dana Carvey was surprised by the sense of humor former President Bush had, who he made fun of incessantly.

Jada is a public figure who is not some recluse. She was there right front an center.

Plus the whole “name out of mouth” is the stupidest fucking saying that makes smith even dumber.

If smith was a man, he would have talked to him afterwards or even before. Not acted like a victim. He is a cuckold and acts like it. If Jason Mamoa or David Chappelle made that comment smith would have not been so brave. But Rock is an easy mark physically.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Hollywood stars get a bad rap.  You can't be a star for 10+ years and be batshit or an asshole.  There are some people on the margins, sure, but what you saw from Will Smith is rare.  He's been a fucking loon for years but the general public had no idea.  They do now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

lost in all of this was Gaga being a human being

I only like a few of her songs, but I kind of love Lady Gaga. With her caring help, a few moments that could have been painful were touching instead. I was very gratified to see Minelli getting a chance to go on a stage and joyfully soak it in even as she displayed confusion. I didn't know she'd fallen into poor health. Good luck to her.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It was such a weird series of events. Rock makes the joke, the camera cuts to Will Smith laughing next to Jada. It's almost like Jada made a face or signaled Will Smith to do something about it. And then he yells at Rock to keep his wife's name out of Rock's mouth. Smith should have probably left immediately and then publicly apologized. 

I doubt Hollywood will care. Will Smith is on the record as being bat shit crazy, but he keeps getting jobs because he can act. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Hollywood stars get a bad rap.  You can't be a star for 10+ years and be batshit or an asshole.  There are some people on the margins, sure, but what you saw from Will Smith is rare.  He's been a fucking loon for years but the general public had no idea.  They do now.

confused-no.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Will Smith's attack on Rock strikes me (purely guessing) as a rich boy-then-man looking for street cred in his holy crusade to prove he's some sort of great vessel of love protecting people who likely don't need it. How was he protecting the actresses playing Serena and Venus Williams? Sounds creepy and awkward. Smith's world view has been shaped much like Tom Cruise's: early success followed by phenomenal success. That's a lot of isolation from the real world if you throw in how their recognizability makes ordinary activities in public just about impossible.

I

This.  I listened to the beginning of the audiobook of Will Smith's autobiography---traveling companion chose it.  And he was obsessed by how he hadn't intervened in some situation involving a neighbor when he was a kid.  I don't recall it more specifically now, but he went on but his weakness as a child and how embarrassed he was by it.

Just now, 4th&Five said:

crazy tom cruise GIF

Prime example right there.  You ask anyone who has ever worked with him or dealt with him in business and they'll tell you he's awesome.  Smart, hard working, knows how to prep for a role, knows which roles to pick, etc.  Dude has been an A lister for 30 years.  That's not an accident.

Those same people will tell you they're completely stunned by the Scientology bit.  Everything else he does is awesome.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

confused-no.gif

A great example of what I'm talking about is Katherine Hiegl.  She had a 10+ year runway ahead of her of making hundreds of millions of dollars doing rom coms and shit.  Flamed out because she was difficult to work with and he mom was a cuz.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

crazy tom cruise GIF

say what you will about the lunacy that is tom cruise's personal life, but he is a consummate professional and arguably the biggest movie star of all time.

he would've laughed it off and shaken his head and held his wife's hand or whatever he thought was appropriate.  i'm having trouble coming up with a list of other actors that would've done what smith did. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Prime example right there.  You ask anyone who has ever worked with him or dealt with him in business and they'll tell you he's awesome.  Smart, hard working, knows how to prep for a role, knows which roles to pick, etc.  Dude has been an A lister for 30 years.  That's not an accident.

Those same people will tell you they're completely stunned by the Scientology bit.  Everything else he does is awesome.

God works in mysterious ways...sometimes he calls himself David Miscavige just to have a little fun.

30 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're incorrect in your description of life on a movie set. Shooting about 10 minutes of film on a good day means that most of the time on a set is about as romantic and make believe as a building site. Stars spend a lot of time in luxury trailers waiting and then have to find a way to get into a scene surrounded by a silently standing crew. That's not happily playing make believe. It's concentration and talent.

I'm not suggesting that acting on a movie set is not hard work.  These actors have a craft, they're good at it, and I know it can be physically and emotionally challenging.  But working hard to play make believe while being paid millions of dollars is a lot different than hard work in other vocations.  That's why it doesn't surprise me that a lot of famous actors are detached from the reality that most of us live in. 

And yes, you can say the same thing about wealthy individuals in other sectors.  But Hollywood is still a completely different animal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess Smith is stuck with Jada because they have children together, but he should have dropped her years ago. She publicly admits to cheating on him, meanwhile professing her undying romantic love for Tupac. I mean act like a leading man for f***'s sake. 

tldr: un-de-feat-ed.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

say what you will about the lunacy that is tom cruise's personal life, but he is a consummate professional and arguably the biggest movie star of all time.

he would've laughed it off and shaken his head and held his wife's hand or whatever he thought was appropriate.  i'm having trouble coming up with a list of other actors that would've done what smith did. 

Mickey Rourke and Jon Voight?

I'm not saying the A-lister are men/women of the people.  They're not.  It's a weird bubble.  However, to be at that level for a prolonged period of time, you have to take care of your body, you have to work hard on your parts, show up on time, know your lines, choose the right parts, turn down the right parts, etc.  There is some luck involved but at that level, there's long term thinking.

Look at Leonardo DiCaprio.  It's easy to laugh because he likes to party and bang 19 year olds but when it's game time, he's fucking money and he's chosen some outstanding roles over the year.  It's not an accident that he's still A list.

• Hook 'Em 3

Take another guy near and dear to our hearts.  Matthew McConaughey.

After breaking into acting, he made very good money doing rom coms and what not.  We all laughed and naked bongos, weed, some of his movies, etc.  However, we all know he's a smart dude, strategically planned his career pivot, and works hard to prep for a role (Dallas Buyers Club).

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I can't think of any, unless they, too, had systematically lost their shit over a period of years due to mental health issues or substance abuse.

And I keep hearing people talk about how Will Smith has to be better than that to combat the "angry black man" stereotype.  But can anybody imagine Denzel Washington or Idris Elba or any other black star doing this?  Does anybody really think this is anything other than a "Will Smith is a fucking lunatic" issue?

Rick Moranis
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I had a friend that was at some helicopter training resort type place in New Mexico several years ago.  Cruise was there too.  It was a pretty intimate and high end place.

He said Cruise could not have been nicer and more engaging.  Said he was just a hell of a nice guy.  Their groups ended up hanging out some and Cruise was just completely awesome.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I've seen some mention online that maybe this is a lot like a Doug Christie type relationship. If you're not aware of that, it was a pretty wild scene with an NBA player where his wife was ridiculously overbearing and always making him do things in public to show how great their relationship was. Behind the scenes she was doing things like weighing his balls to see if he was cheating on her after he got back from a road trip. There's some thought that things were peachy until Jada took it the wrong way and possibly gave Will Smith the look of you need to go rectify that. So I'm not so sure Will Smith is okay with her sleeping with other dudes as much as he may not really have a say in the matter. Doesn't excuse his behavior but there's something very very strange about that relationship. 

Lol, wut? That's a thing?

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I had a friend that was at some helicopter training resort type place in New Mexico several years ago.  Cruise was there too.  It was a pretty intimate and high end place.

He said Cruise could not have been nicer and more engaging.  Said he was just a hell of a nice guy.  Their groups ended up hanging out some and Cruise was just completely awesome.

I know numerous people at Walmart who dealt with him extensively over the years.  They all speak very highly of him.

One time he went to dinner with them at a place on the downtown square.  He held court for like three hours and let anyone who wanted meet him and get a picture.

Dude is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has anybody brought up that Chris Rock made a documentary about black women’s hair? I remember actually finding it interesting.

I’ll also take this opportunity to quote the late great Russell Jones:

Have you ever, ever, ever
In your long legged life
Had a bald headed bitch
For your bald headed wife

• Haha 1