Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You had me up until this. LOL at the hubris of saying that Texas kids improved those schools’ academics. 

I’d put UF academically above those three schools but otherwise generally agree with this. (Granted I’m biased). 

I am sure you are aware that the composition of students at UT has changed a lot since we were in school. Because we have failed as a state to have developed other quality tier 1 public universities to complement UT, lots of smart, suburban kids from Texas who who would have been admitted back in the 80s and 90s are now shut out. The impact that has on the future of our program will start to be felt soon. These kids are not going to go to Cougar High or Tech but will and have picked schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, UGA, Auburn, etc. I don’t blame them. If you don’t think that well to do suburban kids from Texas leaving the state and adding to the student base of a school like Ole Miss or Bama is not improving those schools I don’t know what to tell you. It is a problem that has deep repercussions for the future of our school and state since our competitors are siphoning off future donations, fan support and alumni pull that UT never had to compete with before.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

No, you were probably negged because for some reason people that dont think like you are half-wits.  I didnt neg you and I have not taken the shot.  There is zero evidence it is effective.  Vaccines (pills, whatever) generally take years to develop (smallpox,polio, AIDS).  118 years after the Flu epidemic that killed millions and millions worldwide, the vaccine is at best 40-60% effective.  The covid vaccine does not keep you from getting it or spreading it.  And with 95% of the people either asymptomatic or only having mild symptoms, there is no way to know if the shot made the symptoms milder or not.  I'm almost 70.  I've had covid twice. (had to get tested cause it was required)  I didnt know I had it till I tested positive.  I've had sore throats that made me feel worse.  I certainly dont take this lightly and you are entitled to do whatever you think is best for YOU.  However I have been part of government (military)forced experiments before.  If its all the same to you I'll pass till there is more evidence. 

The best to you and yours.  🤘

Bold Strategy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

OU gave full rides if you got a decent PSAT score when I was in high school.  

That is in fact the case. But very few kids make that cut. It essentially requires an equivalent sat score of 1550 (out of 1600) or act of 34. For reference, you can get 90% of out of state tuition waived at UArk with a 26 ACT I think. 

Pretty common around the DC area too. It's totally anecdotal, but I've got a subset of friends who send quite a few of their kids to Ole Miss, and Colorado. And ironically more than a few hoping to get into UT from out of state. Virginia is even worse than Texas because the top two public universities here keep their enrollments very low compared to the population.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

I'm aware of that and why I made no mention of our pathetic College of Education or so-so engineering school. But a professional business degree from Bama will get you job offers from anywhere in the country. My dumbass stepson is proof of that. He's worked in Chicago, Denver, and now Dallas. It also helps to have a massive endowment like UT has.

I've been giving some lady friends my massive endowment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

No school has benefited more from UT’s admissions standards than Arkansas. I graduated HS in Austin in 2017, and I have more friends at Ark than any other big 12 school. Ark gives in state tuition to Texas kids with qualifying SAT/ACT scores. I know people at Ark who pay only 8k in tuition for a whole academic year. 

for kids that don’t make the cut at UT and A&M (and some prefer ark over A&M), ark is a much better option and TTu or Texas state. The growing number of Texas kids at Ark should make for a great rivalry once we switch over (and a crazy atmosphere on September 11)

Graduated 10 years before you in Houston.  From there, it seemed they were going to LSU.   Either way, the SEC has benefitted from kids outside the top 7/10% not making the cut from UT/A&M and not wanting to go to fucking Texas Tech. 

16 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Pretty common around the DC area too. It's totally anecdotal, but I've got a subset of friends who send quite a few of their kids to Ole Miss, and Colorado. And ironically more than a few hoping to get into UT from out of state. Virginia is even worse than Texas because the top two public universities here keep their enrollments very low compared to the population.

Texas is sending a lot of kids to CU too. 

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't think those schools add enough value.  

No one remaining will.  Y’all’s best move is to ditch the WSU/OSU/ASU schools and join the B1G.  This conference would be pretty stout.

West - UW, UO, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC

Central - Zona, Utah, CU, KU, NU, Iowa

Midwest - Minn, Wisc, NW, Illinois, Michigan, Mich St

East - Indiana, Purdue, Ohio St, Penn St, MD, Rutgers

Other than that Tech, Okie St, Kansas are your best moves, #4 isn’t obvious but could be Boise St, BYU, TCU, ISU but no combination of those will payout more than the $28mil the PAC is currently making, which means you’ll lose money in the short term.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Lots of universities have individual programs that are highly-rated.  When people here are talking about academic reputation, they generally are referring to the university as a whole.  And, as a whole, University of Alabama is a second-tier school.  As a (single) reference point, USN&WR has 'Bama at #143 among national universities, compared to #160 for Ole Miss, #47 for Georgia and #30 for Florida.

Btw, Harvard is #2 and Yale is #4.

I think US News has been proven to be a bunch of BS, with rampant manipulation of data, and there really isn't a good way to compare between the vast number of schools that are outside the top few. Clearly the Ivy and Public Ivy's are well regarded as standing out, along with a few additional private schools. After that, I don't see much value in trying to rank or compare the large public colleges. Each will have some really good programs, some crappy ones, most in between. Anyone who puts their research into particular programs and puts the work in on campus can be highly successful in whatever field they choose with a degree from most of these places. Employers will care more about GPA, extra curricular, etc. No employer is going to hire a mediocre student from a #50 school over a top tier student from a #100 school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

No one remaining will.  Y’all’s best move is to ditch the WSU/OSU/ASU schools and join the B1G.  This conference would be pretty stout.

West - UW, UO, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC

Central - Zona, Utah, CU, KU, NU, Iowa

Midwest - Minn, Wisc, NW, Illinois, Michigan, Mich St

East - Indiana, Purdue, Ohio St, Penn St, MD, Rutgers

Other than that Tech, Okie St, Kansas are your best moves, #4 isn’t obvious but could be Boise St, BYU, TCU, ISU but no combination of those will payout more than the $28mil the PAC is currently making, which means you’ll lose money in the short term.

No reason to drop ASU and their 6 million students.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac-12-open-to-possible-expansion-new-commissioner-says-2423684/

“We have taken initial meetings with everyone that has expressed an interest. We have a working group … who are together deciding on what to recommend … At the end of the day, they’ll make the decision about whether or not to offer admission to the Pac-12 to any other schools.”

Kliavkoff: “There’s no hard deadline related to any of this, but I would say I don’t think it’s good for college athletics given the vibration that’s going on as a result of the Texas and Oklahoma news. The quicker we can dampen that vibration, the better. We will have a decision on whether we intend to expand or not in the next couple of weeks.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

My son says if you sneeze on the application you get in.  But some good people go there anyway.  Reality is Auburn and UA Huntsville are tougher to get into

I don't know mich about Auburn, but UAB is no slouch these days.

4 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac-12-open-to-possible-expansion-new-commissioner-says-2423684/

“We have taken initial meetings with everyone that has expressed an interest. We have a working group … who are together deciding on what to recommend … At the end of the day, they’ll make the decision about whether or not to offer admission to the Pac-12 to any other schools.”

Kliavkoff: “There’s no hard deadline related to any of this, but I would say I don’t think it’s good for college athletics given the vibration that’s going on as a result of the Texas and Oklahoma news. The quicker we can dampen that vibration, the better. We will have a decision on whether we intend to expand or not in the next couple of weeks.”

Yeah reading further in the article it certainly seems like Pac12 expansion in some form is going to happen. Especially when he's talking about them lacking a national presence. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

I am sure you are aware that the composition of students at UT has changed a lot since we were in school. Because we have failed as a state to have developed other quality tier 1 public universities to complement UT, lots of smart, suburban kids from Texas who who would have been admitted back in the 80s and 90s are now shut out. The impact that has on the future of our program will start to be felt soon. These kids are not going to go to Cougar High or Tech but will and have picked schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, UGA, Auburn, etc. I don’t blame them. If you don’t think that well to do suburban kids from Texas leaving the state and adding to the student base of a school like Ole Miss or Bama is not improving those schools I don’t know what to tell you. It is a problem that has deep repercussions for the future of our school and state since our competitors are siphoning off future donations, fan support and alumni pull that UT never had to compete with before.

That's why UT needs to be doing even more to to develop it's system schools like UTD and encouraging students who don't qualify for the Austin campus to go there by giving them some hope that they can transfer in later. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's why UT needs to be doing even more to to develop it's system schools like UTD and encouraging students who don't qualify for the Austin campus to go there by giving them some hope that they can transfer in later. 

UTD may be tougher to get into than UT.  UTD and UTA quit the auto transfer program

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

OU gave full rides if you got a decent PSAT score when I was in high school.  

I graduated HS in OK. UT offered in state tuition and a scholarship to cover tuition based on National Merit. OU offered a scholarship that covered tuition plus room and board (may have even been a small stipend, I can't recall). So the difference came down to OU offering to pay me to live in OK and leave with a degree from OU. Fuck that, lulz.

So Austin it was.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I think US News has been proven to be a bunch of BS, with rampant manipulation of data, and there really isn't a good way to compare between the vast number of schools that are outside the top few. Clearly the Ivy and Public Ivy's are well regarded as standing out, along with a few additional private schools. After that, I don't see much value in trying to rank or compare the large public colleges. Each will have some really good programs, some crappy ones, most in between. Anyone who puts their research into particular programs and puts the work in on campus can be highly successful in whatever field they choose with a degree from most of these places. Employers will care more about GPA, extra curricular, etc. No employer is going to hire a mediocre student from a #50 school over a top tier student from a #100 school.

Whatever.

As I said, it's one data point.

7 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Hahah. I assume this is sarcasm. The SEC right now is a much better academic conference than the Big 12. UGA, UF, Vandy and Tennessee are better than any school in the Big 12 academically other than UT. Because UT has gotten so hard to get in, lots of Texas kids are going to schools like Bama, UGA and Ole Miss improving the academics of those schools. 

My son resembles this remark.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

No reason to drop ASU and their 6 million students.

That’s likely the reason the B1G wouldn’t take them, that and not being AAU.  If it’s true that the B1G reportedly turned down the Sooners, I don’t think they’d take the Sun Devils.

The Big Ten only has more than a single school in 3 states: Illinois (pop 13mil) which they have the flagship and an elite private university in the largest city in the core of their footprint; Michigan (pop 11mil) the flagship and their AAU “State” school; and Indiana (pop 7mil) the flagship and their AAU “State” like school.  Arizona State would be like taking another Purdue from the B1G’s point of view (AZ pop 7 mil) but worse since they aren’t even in the AAU.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

When I was at IBM in the triangle in NC I kept running into Texas kids who were at Duke because they didn't make the cut to get into UT. I felt bad for them because they busted their ass to get in, got a 4.0, and still got shut out by the home state. It's a lot different than when we were in school. The population of Texas keeps growing and it gets harder and harder every year.

3 hours ago, Gidnik said:

The best option for PAC is add 2 teams in Lone Star state & then Cowboys (a top 5 attendance add for PAC) & Kansas (AAU/ hoops royalty)

Untitled2.png

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

When I was at IBM in the triangle in NC I kept running into Texas kids who were at Duke because they didn't make the cut to get into UT. I felt bad for them because they busted their ass to get in, got a 4.0, and still got shut out by the home state. It's a lot different than when we were in school. The population of Texas keeps growing and it gets harder and harder every year.

Did contract work in that Research Triangle IBM site in almost all the datacenters there. Coworkers who used to work there as IBM employees told me about the "drones" who worked in the tape library -- didn't believe their descriptions until I saw them for myself.  Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

There couldn't have been that many with Duke's 7% acceptance rate.

5.27 of the current graduating class in from Texas. Considering they get 13.4% of their kids from NC that's a good chunk. That's almost 400 Texas kids over a 4 year period who aren't hard to spot wearing Texas clothing around the Triangle. A couple minutes of conversation and the story is I was beat out by so and so even though I had a 4.2 GPA.

https://www.collegeraptor.com/colleges/academics/Duke-University-NC--198419

Edited by Thatguy

5 hours ago, Gidnik said:

Yea I agree. They desperately want into the central time zone

The PAC 12 might need it, but does Fox? They have plenty of inventory from the Big Ten. 

I think the PAC, ACC, and Big Ten are doing the scheduling alliance to get around adding schools and preventing further dividing their slice of the pie. And it’s the only move left on the board to poison Texas/OU/SEC. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The PAC 12 might need it, but does Fox? They have plenty of inventory from the Big Ten. 

I think the PAC, ACC, and Big Ten are doing the scheduling alliance to get around adding schools and preventing further dividing their slice of the pie. And it’s the only move left on the board to poison Texas/OU/SEC. 

The ACC is trying to serve two masters here.  They go with the academics schools they are basically handing over Clemson and Florida St over the SEC at a minimum. They go with the SEC they are may handing over UVA and UNC to the B1G at a minimum.  While losing schools would suck, the ACC could still function without UVA/UNC since there are plenty of backfills like WVU, UConn, Cincy, Memphis that along with the strong football schools could still be competitive but there are no close replacements for FSU/Clemson, that would be similar to losing Texas and OU.

22 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The ACC is trying to serve two masters here.  They go with the academics schools they are basically handing over Clemson and Florida St over the SEC at a minimum. They go with the SEC they are may handing over UVA and UNC to the B1G at a minimum.  While losing schools would suck, the ACC could still function without UVA/UNC since there are plenty of backfills like WVU, UConn, Cincy, Memphis that along with the strong football schools could still be competitive but there are no close replacements for FSU/Clemson, that would be similar to losing Texas and OU.

Yeah, I think the SEC is done expanding. The ACC is trying to survive a shitty TV contract.