Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The school's growth really accelerated as the football program became more popular over the last decade. 

The tremendous fundraising opportunities a relevant, competitive football program can generate for the university is a fact that the pinhead thésards of the world just cannot (or will not) comprehend. They think academia should be "above" the demeaning effects of common athletics. 

paging @derpyhorndog it's flight tracking season....grab a cup of coffee and get to work!

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Oh I’m no pod person. I would think trying to protect rivalries across pods gets messy and scuttles the advantage of rotating everyone regularly.

The pod layout I present would protect the traditional rivals and gives room for the lesser rivalries that were a part of the SEC history.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Several reporters took note, too, how coincidental it was that Bjork just happened to be in Hoover to spin the news while no other SEC AD had been at media days all week. 

so he showed up with forethought and malice, and still rolled with the Old Yeller vibe

they are the most pathetic people on the planet and we share the same state

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I've been watching the forums - @golfclap is slapping down a Miss State hypothesis that Texas is not a national brand. It's really a race to the bottom w/ those folks regarding intellectual capacity. The aggy tears .. my God.. the tears.. It's just too much.

somebody should respond with this:

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course I have not followed this thread throughout the night like most of you, but the one thing I keep coming back to is- the Texas brand is the single biggest brand in the Big 12 and it's not close.  OU does not carry the national brand the way Texas does.  BUT, if Texas moves to the SEC, it becomes one of a cadre of national brands.  It no longer stands above the rest.  Sure, the overall water level is higher, but Texas is just one of many.  Of course it would still be in the upper echelon of brands in the conference, upper upper, but seems like there is a lot to be lost.  

Now if you joined the P12...

spacer.png

What do you feel about any 2 or 4 of

KU

KSU

ISU

BU

Tech

TCU

WVU

I can't see any two or four of that that would thrill the Pac12 schools. Maybe Tech and Oklahoma State?

if this happens, I am glad I'm not one of those folks that gave up their season tix because Charlie was worst coach in history and Herman was a barely competent.

wasn't there some deal with the tickets and locking in seating prices this year or getting frozen out and having to pay market?

33 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I guess so... According to aggy, we've destroyed the SWC, Big 12 and everything else we touch...

That’s the first thing aggy did when they got into the sec….started bad-mouthing and blaming Texas for everything….still do….I guess to try and hide their inadequacies…..in everything.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Guy on the xm 84 said just now OU pairs in the East with Mizzou and Texas to the West. We keep Ou as our permanent.  

imagine a schedule of :

Ou , Lsu, Am, aub and Bama. Add in East foe UGA or Uf. 

huh?  I guess it could happen but I think  they move Bama/Aub to the east unless Fla and Ga get their panties in a wad.

55 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Guy on the xm 84 said just now OU pairs in the East with Mizzou and Texas to the West. We keep Ou as our permanent.  

imagine a schedule of :

Ou , Lsu, Am, aub and Bama. Add in East foe UGA or Uf. 

Imagining that, what is Texas record, on average, in those 7 games year over year?  At best 5-2.  Probably 4-3.

17 minutes ago, cyatheart said:

That's right, it's just the way it is.  Unfortunate, but that's life.

It is.  And I do feel for some of the programs like ISU.  I hope that they find a good place to land -- either in the B1G, or in an expanded, but maybe not as sexy Big XII.

I'm not thrilled to see what CFB has become.  But I'm also smart enough to realize that it HAS become what it is, and it's folly to pretend otherwise or act as if it hasn't already happened.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Imagining that, what is Texas record, on average, in those 7 games year over year?  At best 5-2.  Probably 4-3.

That won't be the schedule so it does not matter.  A&M just finished in the "top 4" (BS) and their best win was over a 4 loss Florida team that OU treated like a diaper.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

That won't be the schedule so it does not matter.  A&M just finished in the "top 4" (BS) and their best win was over a 4 loss Florida team that OU treated like a diaper.

Yeah but they circled 2020 as their year for years just because of the unbalanced schedule BS. That will be us to, trying to find just the perfect storm of FCS teams and shitty SEC schools on our schedule to make a run.

Since the SEC is ending up with more power than the NCAA, everyone should try to join the SEC. Bowlsby ought to be in Birmingham begging the SEC to 'merge' with the Big 12 with Sankey as commissioner and Bowlsby as the newly created vice commissioner. 'Merge' obviously only being a face saving term while Bowlsby tries to get as many Big 12 teams in the SEC as possible. Propose take 8 of the 10 teams. Leave out WVU who never belonged and BU as, well, no explanation needed. Make the SEC East 11 teams - the 10 current founding SEC members plus South Carolina. Make the SEC West the 8 newly added Big 12 teams plus the two former Big 12 teams plus Arkansas. Each division plays a 10 game round robin. The division winners battle it out in the SEC Championship Game, which is guaranteed not to be a rematch. Hell, call it the Sugar Bowl and move it to New Orleans after the SEC buys out the Sugar Bowl Committee with all its cash. Watch the SEC champion get all the AP and Coaches votes so that the little Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC ask to merge. Next step, SEC is the NCAA replacement, and it's barely into the 2030s.

Edited by n64ra

I bet this is as much a reaction to the SCOTUS ruling against the NCAA as it is a TV contract.  if players are going to be paid legit you need more money in your pockets to play.  can't carry anyone else now, gotta be in a league where everyone makes the same amount (at the top) plus then maximize your brand.  Texas can maximize it's brand like no other, add an equal playing field with Bama, Florida, LSU, etc. on the conference money and Texas is back at a financial advantage.  now the question is can Texas play to win (again)?
Another factor is tuition room+board and small stipend are still considered sufficient "payment" by the schools, and the NIL thing is just a separate possible revenue generator for players. Will it always be this way? The NIL thing combined with the portal instantly makes CFB more NFL lite than anything else, but businesses rushing to do NIL deals will quickly find out only a handful of top players really have an ROI, and 3rd string long snappers will find it hard to make even a couple hundred a month. How long until the other players demand a real contract salary from the schools they sign with? This is a real possibility now..
  • Hook 'Em 2

Since the SEC is ending up with more power than the NCAA, everyone should try to join the SEC. Bowlsby ought to be in Birmingham begging the SEC to 'merge' with the Big 12 with Sankey as commissioner and Bowlsby as the newly created vice commissioner. 'Merge' obviously only being a face saving term while Bowlsby tries to get as many Big 12 teams in the SEC as possible. Propose take 8 of the 10 teams. Leave out WVU who never belonged and BU as, well, no explanation needed. Make the SEC East 11 teams - the 10 current founding SEC members plus South Carolina. Make the SEC West the 8 newly added Big 12 teams plus the two former Big 12 teams plus Arkansas. Each division plays a 10 game round robin. The division winners battle it out in the SEC Championship Game, which is guaranteed not to be a rematch. Hell, call it the Sugar Bowl and move it to New Orleans after the SEC buys out the Sugar Bowl Committee with all its cash. Watch the SEC champion get all the AP and Coaches votes so that the little Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC ask to merge. Next step, SEC is the NCAA replacement, and it's barely into the 2030s.

No.

1 minute ago, DaysOff said:

I'm not happy about it, but we live in a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere. It has to be done.

There's definitely this.  We're a steakhouse university joining a Waffle House conference, but there's no denying where the best football and biggest money is.

• Like 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Houston doesn't add market. Big 12 already has that one. If we wanted to save the Big 12, Cincy and Memphis would be a starting point. 

Heh. No. All this has been thoroughly studied by Texas and the Big 12. There were no schools who added any value to the Big 12. At the end of the day we were either going to make it as 10 or not. And I guess it is not.

55 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:
I'm not saying it couldn't happen but, I was told by a good friend who played for WVU that he was told, by the AD, that WVU was told by the ACC that their fan's behavior would forever keep them out of the ACC.

I know there is a long history of bad fan behavior, but they've worked hard to clean it up. I took the kids to Margontown for a (day) game. Not one ill word spoken. In fact, it was clear they were trying as many fans walked up to chat us up and ask if we needed help finding our seats.

There is a reason why I said - I'm not saying it couldn't happen. It surely could happen in today's crazy world. Imagine a conference with Pitt/WVU/State Pen and Maryland. The ease for fans to get to games would be incredible. It'd be awesome.

But, there are differences in experiences for folks who have gone to Morganhole for games. Try doing it as the fan of one of their traditional rivals. It is usually not very pretty, especially at night. And the comment I posted did not come from a walk-on to WVU football. It came from a guy who made the NFL. And he is kind of in the know. He has no reason to lie to me about what he was told.

• Like 1