Ivan Melendez: Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah but he bats right-handed and plays 1B so he sucks /MLB

It is unfortunate that College Baseball stars translate to MLB even worse than College Football stars translate to the NFL.

Anyway that is awesome and well deserved! I bet he has a monster weekend!

Edited by Valmy77

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He looks like an MLB power hitter to me, but what do I know?

The plate discipline he showcased this year is what separates guys at the next level, I am very optimistic about his future 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah but he bats right-handed and plays 1B so he sucks /MLB

Nah, he’ll get a shot. What you’re getting at is that he may not be drafted as highly as you might expect, and that prospect writers will not rate him highly because of these attributes. Their logic is that he’ll have to hit at a really high level to make it in MLB because he’s a righty 1B (and thus doesn’t offer a lot of value elsewhere). So he has less room for error. But he’ll still get a chance. 

Paul Goldschmidt wasn’t that highly regarded at one point either. He is, of course, an outlier. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Nah, he’ll get a shot. What you’re getting at is that he may not be drafted as highly as you might expect, and that prospect writers will not rate him highly because of these attributes. Their logic is that he’ll have to hit at a really high level to make it in MLB because he’s a righty 1B (and thus doesn’t offer a lot of value elsewhere). So he has less room for error. But he’ll still get a chance. 

Paul Goldschmidt wasn’t that highly regarded at one point either. He is, of course, an outlier. 

Ivan's hitting potential is off the charts. He may or may not realize it but it's entirely possible he becomes a DH level hitter let alone 1B (which he has proven he can play at a high level).

Have posted this before (I think) but updated.  Ivan compared to college 1B drafted in first two rounds in last 10 drafts.  He's a year older but I tend to give him a pass on that given starting at a JUCO plus the whole lost pandemic year.  I would think the bat alone gets him picked in first two rounds but I am also not Keith Law. 

image.thumb.png.b0592309aa3f8abd1e1dc6b5a94dbafc.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes!

The other two guys are Cooper Hjerpe (Herpes?) of Oregon State and Kevin Parada of Georgia Tech.

I don't think you pronounce the H, but i still laughed cause i'm a 12yr old stuck in a 42yr olds body. 

Edited by BERT
I am not Michael Jackson
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, ztejas said:

Ivan's hitting potential is off the charts. He may or may not realize it but it's entirely possible he becomes a DH level hitter let alone 1B (which he has proven he can play at a high level).

On 6/2/2022 at 9:13 PM, 40acredropout said:

Have posted this before (I think) but updated.  Ivan compared to college 1B drafted in first two rounds in last 10 drafts.  He's a year older but I tend to give him a pass on that given starting at a JUCO plus the whole lost pandemic year.  I would think the bat alone gets him picked in first two rounds but I am also not Keith Law. 

image.thumb.png.b0592309aa3f8abd1e1dc6b5a94dbafc.png

I don't pay a ton of attention to the MLB draft, but I just can't conceive how he wouldn't be taken in the first two rounds.  He has an elite power tool, but can also hit for average and has good plate discipline. On top of all that, his rate of improvement has been astronomical. He's taken massive steps forward both years at UT. Just look at his average, OBP, K% and BB% on that chart. He improved massively in all those categories. I would have to think that kind of development would negate his age concerns. He's still relatively raw and rapidly improving despite his age.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't pay a ton of attention to the MLB draft, but I just can't conceive how he wouldn't be taken in the first two rounds. 

They know he’s a first round talent, but teams tend to use those spots on young guys who have leverage. Players who don’t have the option to return to school have no leverage as they are likely to sign no matter where you take them.

3 hours ago, Nope said:

They know he’s a first round talent, but teams tend to use those spots on young guys who have leverage. Players who don’t have the option to return to school have no leverage as they are likely to sign no matter where you take them.

He has another year of eligibility thanks to Covid, I believe.  

9 hours ago, cochamps said:

He has displayed really good footwork and good hands in the field.  I understand the lefty thing, but he is a plus defender.

Yep, and good-fielding 1Bs don't grow on trees. 1B is no walk in the park. Combine that with the slugging & overall hitting, and he has huge potential in the draft imho.

• Hook 'Em 2