moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

48 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Do they really eat chili with biscuits or were they just symbolic as mentioned above?

I’ve never seen biscuits served with chili.  In Iowa it was always cinnamon rolls and they’re intended to be a complimentary desert.

That’s because in Iowa it’s meat loaf soup.

I’d eat a cinnamon roll with chili though.

A man becomes human at the end, drinking an orange soda and eating biscuits and chili. 
Edit: It's like they have Frankenstein over for dinner.

It’s a good thing Dot didn’t bring out cigars.
  • Like 1

I’ve never eaten biscuits and chili, but I’ll never besmirch a man for doing so.

ETA

in Ohio it’s peanut butter on bread.  But again, our chili would make you sad.  Kidney beans, diced tomatoes, etc.

Edited by Parliament

14 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So Munch munched. Almost all of the Ruby Ridge angle was a letdown - other than the killings of Lorraine's lawyer and Whit. Predicted a Whit/Roy showdown just didn't think Whit would be so damn stupid. Dot with a rifle was not interesting.

Lorraine has one decent scene, once again, essentially a no-show.

Gator's fucking sorry! Not good enough. Not even close. Yeah, tie him to a tree blind, but surround him with boiling hot springs. Or Snatch-caliber hungry pigs. Gator wakes up, eyes obviously cut out, feels around and finds he has been handcuffed to two-foot thick tree and is given a ten-inch hacksaw. Fuck Gator.

Missed opportunities: 

Roy jumps accross table for Lorraine, but her designated inmates drag him screaming down the hall - screaming. They're saying, "come on, Sweetie" etc.

Wayne puts something in Munch's orange drink, he gets groggy, then angry, begins wreaking havoc, daughter puts him away, gun preferred, but big knife, garrote would have worked. Or Wayne finally steps up.

They feed Munch something really nasty, like Drano.

Roy is taken to hospital in Ambulance, kills its crew, escapes and disappears completely, uniquely, for one year, returning for final showdown at Dot's house.

Good season, but I think the writers got a bit lazy, landed other gigs, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if unlike previous seasons, they continued this storyline - Roy cultists help him escape via fake suicide.

it's a limited series.  the scripts were locked before they started shooting.  nobody was landing other gigs.

i'm leaving the rest of this alone, because, come on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

"It feels like that, I know.
What they do to us, make us swallow. Like it's our fault.

But you want to know the cure?
You got to eat something made with love and joy.
And be forgiven."

Gonna be thinking about the last 20 minutes or so of this one for a while.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Missed opportunities: 

Roy jumps accross table for Lorraine, but her designated inmates drag him screaming down the hall - screaming. They're saying, "come on, Sweetie" etc.

Wayne puts something in Munch's orange drink, he gets groggy, then angry, begins wreaking havoc, daughter puts him away, gun preferred, but big knife, garrote would have worked. Or Wayne finally steps up.

Roy is taken to hospital in Ambulance, kills its crew, escapes and disappears completely, uniquely, for one year, returning for final showdown at Dot's house.

Wouldn't be surprised if unlike previous seasons, they continued this storyline - Roy cultists help him escape via fake suicide.

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Great watch and great characters all around. If I have to pick nits:

1. It was really, really heavy. The older I get, the less I like seeing violence. There was some really heartbreaking/violent stuff in this one.

2. That puppet scene was fantastic and a creative way of storytelling. The entire dream sequence thing was really weird, but the puppet scene itself was great.

3. Why do the entire Jon Hamm has nipple rings and bedroom sex chest if that doesn't come into play later in the story? What's the line about if you introduce a gun in the first act it better be part of the third act?

4. That entire chili/biscuits scene should have been left out. 

1) Definitly heavy.  Not sure you can call Season 5 a dark “comedy” at all.  You get so dark it isn’t funny.  Even for Surly degens.

2) I said it up thread.  Something about doing it with puppets makes it worse.  Why is that?  The roughest part for me was watching Gator hide with Dot, only to see her abused too.

The sadness reminded me of the “I can help!” cartoon in Season 3.  And the violence reminded me of Nikki Swango taking that beating in Season 3.  You didn’t see the violence directly and your mind fills in the gaps. 

3) Yeah they set him up like your usual quirky Coen bad guy.  And then rope a doped us.

4) With respect, I disagree.  Closed out Munsch’s story well.  

Edited by Parliament

Loved the wrap up to this season, other than Whit dying because he let Roy get too close, like being within striking range of a pit viper. One question - didn't Roy's army have some sort of APC or half track? If so, where was it when the defecation hit the ventilation? The "sheriff election debate" moderator, prior to being punched, specifically quizzed him on that point before Roy stormed off after the three clones began mocking him. I kept waiting for it to zoom up out of a hidden trench.

Dot, Wayne, Scotty and the poison eater need some kind of follow up. AS grotesque as he is, that guy is riveting when he speaks.

Jeez

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's a limited series.  the scripts were locked before they started shooting.  nobody was landing other gigs.

i'm leaving the rest of this alone, because, come on.

The top creative minds could have landed other gigs and left before the writing was complete. (Pretty sure that's what happened to Breaking Bad and GOT.) The top writers knew it was the last season and they were looking out for #1,  leaving the Director and a couple of other top people to plan an ending and script it out. They could immediately become buried in another story and wouldn't waste time coming back to finish this one off. The Director does the best he can, but at some point he has to put the story to bed and move on.

Next season we find Munch, teeth fixed, as the family dine-in bodyguard/butler, wearing $5,000 suits and getting hundred dollar haircuts. "A man needs Steak Tartare," he'll say.

After thinking about it, I think this was the most disappointing of the five seasons. It had some great moments. Started with a bang, ended with a one hour wimper.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

So Munch munched. Almost all of the Ruby Ridge angle was a letdown - other than the killings of Lorraine's lawyer and Whit. Predicted a Whit/Roy showdown just didn't think Whit would be so damn stupid. Dot with a rifle was not interesting.
Lorraine has one decent scene, once again, essentially a no-show.
Gator's fucking sorry! Not good enough. Not even close. Yeah, tie him to a tree blind, but surround him with boiling hot springs. Or Snatch-caliber hungry pigs. Gator wakes up, eyes obviously cut out, feels around and finds he has been handcuffed to two-foot thick tree and is given a ten-inch hacksaw. Fuck Gator.
Missed opportunities: 
Epsteinnose.jpg.830d2b14d39f8ef52b88dec8f0ddbd6c.jpg

I’m assuming you’re not a working screenwriter in Hollywood.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:34 AM, Parliament said:

I like that finale.  We got a 40 minute epilogue.  Season 2 did the same.  

ETA

Texans would be appalled by what northerners call "chili."

The Lyons said a Catholic prayer before dinner.  Dot offering Munch the biscuit was her offering him Communion.

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

10 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Only main issue..Indira's whole storyline was kind of worthless.

Nope.  She was the one who convinced Lorraine of Dot's worth.

She didn't serve much of a role after that, but it was a pretty crucial component of the season.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:34 AM, Parliament said:

I like that finale.  We got a 40 minute epilogue.  Season 2 did the same.  

ETA

Texans would be appalled by what northerners call "chili."

The Lyons said a Catholic prayer before dinner.  Dot offering Munch the biscuit was her offering him Communion.

Loads of Christian symbolism in that scene, including the bread offered with love and joy:

Dot insisted he wash his hands before breaking bread (cleansing of sins)

She used milk and honey in the bisquick (refers to Exodus and a promised land for the jews fleeing persecution)

I loved the last scene

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The top creative minds could have landed other gigs and left before the writing was complete. (Pretty sure that's what happened to Breaking Bad and GOT.) The top writers knew it was the last season and they were looking out for #1,  leaving the Director and a couple of other top people to plan an ending and script it out. They could immediately become buried in another story and wouldn't waste time coming back to finish this one off. The Director does the best he can, but at some point he has to put the story to bed and move on.

nathan fillion castle GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

They killed off the only black guy on the entire show. And then adorned his tombstone with "Beloved Brother." That cracked me up.

The way they shot the scenes during the raid with the intermittent black screens was fucking annoying as hell. I suppose it was to build up suspense, but I thought it was super distracting and killed the pacing.  Even a fade in/out would have worked better if they wanted to go for something like that. I was getting frustrated watching that.

There were for sure some plot holes, but all in all, great show. 

My only complaint was that it was never brought up that since the tillman's double crossed oola, logically his obligation to fill the contract would be broken as well. That obviously doesn't fit with the overarching sentiment of the final scene so it's a small quibble

So when Munch went on his spiel, I got the impression that he had roamed North America and fought with the Sioux against American colonization.  Felt like that might have had some meat to pick off in a few flashbacks.  I could see a man delivering the final death knell to Custer.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, seven said:

My only complaint was that it was never brought up that since the tillman's double crossed oola, logically his obligation to fill the contract would be broken as well. That obviously doesn't fit with the overarching sentiment of the final scene so it's a small quibble

Although now that I think about it maybe he had moved on from that obligation since he said he was there for his "pound of flesh" regarding the ice skate to the ear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Loved the wrap up to this season, other than Whit dying because he let Roy get too close, like being within striking range of a pit viper. One question - didn't Roy's army have some sort of APC or half track? If so, where was it when the defecation hit the ventilation? The "sheriff election debate" moderator, prior to being punched, specifically quizzed him on that point before Roy stormed off after the three clones began mocking him. I kept waiting for it to zoom up out of a hidden trench.

Dot, Wayne, Scotty and the poison eater need some kind of follow up. AS grotesque as he is, that guy is riveting when he speaks.

Jeez

You saw one of Roy's guys shooting the .50 cal off the top of the APC in one scene.  It was there.

2 hours ago, seven said:

Although now that I think about it maybe he had moved on from that obligation since he said he was there for his "pound of flesh" regarding the ice skate to the ear. 

Yeah, I don't think he was there about the contract, but rather the damage she inflicted to Munch and his partner when they came for her.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They killed off the only black guy on the entire show. And then adorned his tombstone with "Beloved Brother." That cracked me up.

The way they shot the scenes during the raid with the intermittent black screens was fucking annoying as hell. I suppose it was to build up suspense, but I thought it was super distracting and killed the pacing.  Even a fade in/out would have worked better if they wanted to go for something like that. I was getting frustrated watching that.

There were for sure some plot holes, but all in all, great show. 

One of Roy's primary henchmen was another beloved brother

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You saw one of Roy's guys shooting the .50 cal off the top of the APC in one scene.  It was there.

Huh. Well I did see that but it looked like a heavy dump truck with a .50 cal mounted in the in the bed.  My powers of observation are slipping. Thx