Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My version of stricter gun laws would be ending the war on drugs and burying any asshole who commits a violent crime with a gun under the jailhouse for such a long sentence when they get out they would be too old to commit a crime.  That means George Floyd types who point a shotgun at a woman during a robbery never get to roam the streets until they are retirement age.  We would have plenty of prison space if we ended the war on drugs to warehouse violent people.  That's what I would do.  And it would actually work to significantly make our communities safer.

The random mass shootings that get so much attention result in a 100 to 150 deaths a year.  Nothing being proposed would put a dent in that.  100-150 deaths a year in a country of 330 million is just such a small amount.  I would focus on other causes of accidental or criminal deaths.

I would like to amend your war on drugs slightly. I advocate ending the "war on drugs" with the exception of people like the Sackler family being able to avoid immunity for their role in the opioid crisis. They were able to avoid admitting wrongdoing, avoid personal bankruptcy, and avoid civil suits in a way that highlights the difference between justice for criminals depending upon their socioeconomic status. *More than 500,000 people have died from opioid overdoses-- 50,000 in 2019 alone. That is a much larger amount per 330 million.

But violent people should not be allowed to wreak mayhem on their communities either.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My version of stricter gun laws would be ending the war on drugs and burying any asshole who commits a violent crime with a gun under the jailhouse for such a long sentence when they get out they would be too old to commit a crime.  That means George Floyd types who point a shotgun at a woman during a robbery never get to roam the streets until they are retirement age.  We would have plenty of prison space if we ended the war on drugs to warehouse violent people.  That's what I would do.  And it would actually work to significantly make our communities safer.

The random mass shootings that get so much attention result in a 100 to 150 deaths a year.  Nothing being proposed would put a dent in that.  100-150 deaths a year in a country of 330 million is just such a small amount.  I would focus on other causes of accidental or criminal deaths.

While I would go further with gun laws, as I see no harm in universal background checks, mandatory training that is serious about training, and red flag laws, I don’t take issue with strict sentencing. (Though I cannot support a life sentence for brandishing a firearm. Thirty years? Ok).  I respect those who have jumped through the necessary hoops to obtain certain restricted firearms, as that segment of the population has a proven track record. I’d add to that list of firearms, as well.

Perhaps we can agree that there are no gun accidents, only negligence? Respecting firearms is a constant our country has let slide. A habit which has beneficial echoes.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Claro
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

https://heavy.com/news/timothy-simpkins-released-bond/

Woe that's pretty light bond for shooting up a school and critically injuring someone. 

Sad story about his family included here too. Kid was surrounded by violence.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, SKJ said:

Yeah,  I get the negs, I really do. But people in a traumatic situation go into shock,  while people adjacent to it go into hysteria.  She is making statements that are just not real. 

The fear is real,  but the claims are not

Yes,  that's true.  But her statements are over the top.  I'm not saying it's not a severely traumatizing event for those students and teachers there.  I wish we had better gun policy in the United States.  I would never want my kids to go through that. 

But she's still pouring it on thick

I'm not a woman.  But I've been in several situations That are stressful like that and traumatic.  But it's always the people that weren't there that make these claims... it bothers me because they blast it to 20 and make these statements. Her husband's classroom wasn't a crime scene.  Yes it was harrowing for her husband and for those kids.  Yes it's really something that should never happen.  Yes it's horrible,  and yes we need to solve it. But no,  her husband's classroom was not a crime scene. 

I just get tired of the dramatics of those not even involved.  It's cheap,  and it takes away from the trauma of those who were there. 

Dude, that entire building is a crime scene.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(CNN)Three people are dead and six were injured in a shooting Tuesday at Oxford High School in Oxford, Michigan, authorities said.

The three killed are believed to be students, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael G. McCabe said at a news conference. One of those shot is believed to be a teacher. 

The suspect was identified as a 15-year-old, who is a sophomore at the high school, McCabe said.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that kid who had the presence of mind to say "we're not willing to take that risk right now".  Wow.  And then another flashed on the usage of the word "bro" and called it a "red flag". 

Those kids were on the ball.  

That first kid had his bullshit detector working.  Then, like a young Private Joker, delivers the perfect answer under pressure.  

44 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Gee, it's a shame that unlike the rest of the first world, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about gun violence in this country.

🙄

At its core, I think it's less about "freedoms" and more about the mindset that tends to differentiate conservatives and liberals.  One side thinks people are inherently bad and one thinks people are inherently good.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

At its core, I think it's less about "freedoms" and more about the mindset that tends to differentiate conservatives and liberals.  One side thinks people are inherently bad and one thinks people are inherently good.

Not really. It’s two fold. Conservatives believe in ideals and absolutes, but only when that is convenient to the argument. For example, a gun by itself does not kill anyone. That is true. A good law abiding citizen doesn’t kill people. That is true. Therefore a good law abiding citizen should be free to own a gun. The bad people who misuse guns should be stopped and punished. They want to believe in a magical world where more police officers or more people with guns will stop all the bad gun users. That view is so naive and childish it makes pedophiles hard. 

The second part is this logic is not applied universally. For example, marijuana or other drugs. Drugs by themselves don’t kill anyone. This is true. A good law abiding drug taker uses drugs responsibly. This is also true. Therefore a good law abiding citizen should also be free to use drugs responsibly. Only the overdose users should be punished. But in their magical narrative, they’ve been told all drugs are bad (except alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and anything a doctor prescribes including OxyContin). So they go against the logic and accept the narrative. Drugs bad. Outlaw drugs. 

I guess you could say the same for pro guns. It’s all a narrative. They’ve been instructed their entire lives that guns are good. The Gun Lobby, our culture in movies, history, Fox News. Etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Surly’s radical republicans upsets in the Waukesha, Jussie, and the welcome back to surly conservatives threads sure are quiet in this one…

Well of course they won't.  Just like they won't post in threads about 1/6 or Trump.  It is because they are fucking cowards.  

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

America has accepted a couple hundred dead students a year so Billy Big Guns can go pew pew at his ranch with his buddies. Thoughts and Prayers

Hundreds per year?

11 hours ago, brakeman said:
fuck off gop & nra.

Does this mean Senator Murphy will become pro-life if gun bans are enacted?

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

One side thinks that the government and politicians are inherently bad and one side thinks they are inherently good. This one side feels an absolute necessity to keep arms while the other thinks they are relatively pointless compared to the risk of gun murders. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Hundreds per year?

One side thinks that the government and politicians are inherently bad and one side thinks they are inherently good. This one side feels an absolute necessity to keep arms while the other thinks they are relatively pointless compared to the risk of gun murders. 

quit lying. no one is proposing banning guns. just about anyone with a brain is proposing regulations that keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. please explain to me why that is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

One side thinks that the government and politicians are inherently bad and one side thinks they are inherently good. 

This is cute.  Actually the truth of the matter is that each side thinks that the other is inherently bad.  Neither trusts the other.  One side is unwilling, post-Heller, to give any ground on what they view as an unlimited private right to bear arms, to the point of fighting every attempt at enacting reasonable restrictions on access to certain firearms.

These same folks actively support reversing Roe v. Wade and individual states' attempts to prohibit abortion in all cases, regardless of circumstances and no matter how early in the pregnancy term (pre-viability).

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Hundreds per year?

How many students are killed each year by guns? What number is acceptable to you?

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Using non-fictional numbers as a basis for the discussion is a good starting point. 

Apologies, just school shootings, 28 deaths in 2021, 80 injured. 

https://everytownresearch.org/maps/gunfire-on-school-grounds/

but more than 3K per year die of gun violence 
https://www.childrensdefense.org/state-of-americas-children/soac-2021-gun-violence/

Keep up the good fight Captain Both Sides!

• Hook 'Em 8

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread