Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Holy shit. SIAP.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/widower-teacher-slain-texas-elementary-school-dies-heart/story?id=85000519

The widower of a Texas elementary school teacher killed in a shooting has died of a heart attack days just days after his wife was killed.

Joe Garcia, the husband of Irma Garcia, suffered a fatal heart attack on Thursday, two days after his wife died in a mass shooting at the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, the couple's nephew, John Martinez, and a close family friend confirmed.

MORE: What we know about the victims of the Texas school shooting in Uvalde so far

The couple, who had known each other since the eighth grade, was set to celebrate their 25th anniversary this year, family said.

Irma Garcia was a fourth-grade teacher who had been with the school for 23 years, according to the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District's website.

Irma Garcia, a 4th Grade Teacher at Robb Elementary, was killed in the school shooting on May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas.

Uvalde CISD

"I love to BBQ with my husband, listen to music, and take country cruises to Concan," Garcia appeared to have written on the school district's website.

MORE: Timeline: How the shooting at a Texas elementary school unfolded

Irma Garcia had also been co-teaching with Eva Mireles, the other teacher killed in the attack, in the same classroom for five years.

The two faculty were among another 19 children, mostly third and fourth graders, who were fatally shot on Tuesday when suspected gunman Salvador Ramos opened fire on the classroom.

Crosses with the names of victims of a school shooting, are pictured at a memorial outside Robb Elementary school, after a gunman killed nineteen children and two teachers, in Uvalde, U.S. May 26, 2022.

Marco Bello/Reuters

Ramos allegedly used an AR-15 style rifle to carry out the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history -- just days after he turned 18 and purchased two firearms. Another 17 people, including three law enforcement officers, were wounded.

MORE: Mother of Texas gunman says son was 'not a monster,' could be 'aggressive'

Ramos was killed after exchanging gunfire with responding law enforcement officers inside the school.

• Rage+1 1

I'm sitting here, pondering all this over the past two days, and I wonder how my kids district and police would respond to something like this.

The police drill twice a year, during a school day, on what kind of response to have, what to do at the other sites in case this is some kind of pre-meditated wide spread event, if the gunman came in a side door, front door, etc.  In fact, in their over-zealousness a few years back, they brought in a .50 calibre on a tripod and set it in the foyer of an elementary during one of their mock drills.  It was a new officer, and he overreacted.

They do these drills in conjunction with the first responders, the fire department, and anyone that might need to be involved.  The community and town let the public know days in advance when these drills occur, to try to prevent people from panicking.  If a parent wants to keep their kids home the day of a drill, it's encouraged.

And yet, at the same time, I wonder not only A)how traumatic this can be for younger kids, B) if this training is really doing any good or not, C) what would actually happen if something did occur, and D) the fact that they are even having these kinds of drills.  Believe me, in reading over the response of this town's police department and their ever changing story on the events of the day, I'm glad that my kids school and town are being as proactive as they possibly can.  But it saddens me, as a parent of a 9 and 11 year old, that they are having this kind of training.  

As an aside, a few weeks back, some parent had an issue with a teacher and principal.  The parent left the meeting, went out into the parking lot, dialed 911 and said the school was abusing her kid, and within 2 minutes there were 6 police cars in the parking lot.  So, their response time is efficient; I will give them that.  

I didn't post this as some kind of humblebrag that "look at what my kids district and police are doing"; more along the lines of "I absolutely hate what my kids district and police are doing, but I'm also grateful they are doing something........if it's ever needed.  I hope to hell it never will be".

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

For the past 48 hours the only thing I have been able to think about at all is that it could have been my precious innocent beautiful little daughter, paralyzed by fear as the shooter walked in, and the last thought going through her sweet, sharp little brain being “daddy come save me”, and me not being there.

This one is really fucking me up.

This. I tried to explain what happened to my kids while eating breakfast yesterday morning. Asked them if they know why they do lock down drills.  I completely broke down.  Cried every time I thought about what happened. All day. Today I woke up in extreme anger. I'm fucking done. Time to make other plans for where I raise my family.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

38 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

tazing a Uvalde parent is one of the worst bitchass cop moves of all time. Have you no soul you fucking bastard?

Also heard another parent was peppered.  Not sure. 

Watch the video 

9 hours ago, B00M said:

This isn't that complicated though and no one is asking to stop reporting on them at all. Agree as a society to stop saying the mass murderers name, stop exploring their motives and lives. They're all essentially the same. Exclusively focus on the victims and their families.

that plays directly in to the hands of the fascists who want to cover up their voting record on gun ownership, gun data, gun sales, and mental healthcare

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Look at all those white folks.

D52B41A3-4001-409C-9DB2-C4270F579254.thumb.png.ba1bba78c51d1a2178033302788206ac.png

I noticed that, too. Clearly, people of color don't care about defending themselves or their children.

Also, I see that Don "American Pie"  McLean has pulled out of the NRA gunfest this weekend, saying it would be disrespectful to perform in the wake of Uvalde.  Not sure why Buffalo/Parkland/Sandy Hook etc... hadn't already put him in that frame of mind but at least  he seems to have gotten the message now, for the moment at least.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

any planned protests for NRA Houston this weekend?

Yes.  At least 8 organizations have signed on to protest.

My opinion: if that convention is allowed to go on uninterrupted (or at all), this state has no soul.  

Im no political activist but am discussing with my wife traveling to Houston tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Yes.  At least 8 organizations have signed on to protest.
My opinion: if that convention is allowed to go on uninterrupted (or at all), this state has no soul.  

Im no political activist but am discussing with my wife traveling to Houston tomorrow. 

If I was to go, I would get a nice fountain, a generator to run to pump. I’d fill it with blood (cows blood, but if you just dye water red, fine), and keep a running fountain of blood going across from the convention round the clock. Call it an NRA wishing well.

Crazy. I actually have two AR15 rifles and an AR10. The AR10 is a long range rifle. All 3 guns have never, ever, jumped out of my gun safe and killed people.

Also, my grandfather was killed before I knew him. Killed by a drunk driver in 1970. I never got to fish with him, or go to a Texas game with him ( he was there which is why I am a diehard). I don’t want cars outlawed. It’s not the cars fault.

• Fuck You 39

Just now, markstanco said:

Crazy. I actually have two AR15 rifles and an AR10. The AR10 is a long range rifle. All 3 guns have never, ever, jumped out of my gun safe and killed people.

Also, my grandfather was killed before I knew him. Killed by a drunk driver in 1970. I never got to fish with him, or go to a Texas game with him ( he was there which is why I am a diehard). I don’t want cars outlawed. It’s not the cars fault.

You're a rancid piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread