Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

We should have a national week of mourning after every mass shooting where the first five business days after are paid federal holidays.

Grind everything to a stop and give businesses other than gun manufacturers a reason to push for change.

uh, there have been almost 1.5 mass shootings per day to start the year. we would still be mourning shooting #20, with 193 more to go. That would take us through February 5, 2026 - assuming their aren't any more between now and then.

• Rage+1 1

I don't know, gents, this might be the thing that breaks me. Strongly considering drastic measures to GTFO or take action. I've got three young kids. Heretofore, I have not been an activist of any kind. This issue gets to me though.

I was driving on 610 near the Galleria in Houston a couple of hours ago and they were taking down the billboard for the NRA convention at GRB this weekend. I'm not sure why.

Regarding law enforcement on the scene, I have a lot of questions and until more information comes out, it certainly does appear that there was cowardice, selfishness, ineptitude and deflection on full display. That said, those cops holding the parents back, I'm not so sure they were doing the wrong thing. Someone had to keep a perimeter.  There were other law enforcement officers dealing directly with the evacuation of other students and confronting the shooter. It would have led to more confusion and possibly greater loss of life if frantic parents were allowed to storm the grounds en masse to find their kids before the threat was neutralized. A horrible, horrible situation for all involved, but I think we still need to try to view it as objectively as possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I'd say that DPS has been a shitshow for decades, but that would be an insult to all other feces-based performances.  Shitshows look at DPS and say "holy FUCK...what a shitshow!"  Internal corruption and cronyism, used as a blatant political tool, and the culture of lying as naturally as breathing....it's stunning.  Oh, and among the rank and file, the number of them who are heavy substance users who spend their recreational time fucking each other's spouses is mindblowing.  And that's just what I know about.....I'm sure it's actually much, much worse.

22 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

uh, there have been almost 1.5 mass shootings per day to start the year. we would still be mourning shooting #20, with 193 more to go. That would take us through February 5, 2026 - assuming their aren't any more between now and then.

Yeah that's the point. Basically a nationwide strike until this gets solved.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Has it been addressed why the town was forced to rely on the Border Patrol's tactical unit and not the city's own SWAT team?  

Well, you see, the massive town of Uvalde covers an area of 7.67 sq mi, and the police station is 5 minutes away from the school.

23 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't know, gents, this might be the thing that breaks me. Strongly considering drastic measures to GTFO or take action. I've got three young kids. Heretofore, I have not been an activist of any kind. This issue gets to me though.

I was driving on 610 near the Galleria in Houston a couple of hours ago and they were taking down the billboard for the NRA convention at GRB this weekend. I'm not sure why.

Regarding law enforcement on the scene, I have a lot of questions and until more information comes out, it certainly does appear that there was cowardice, selfishness, ineptitude and deflection on full display. That said, those cops holding the parents back, I'm not so sure they were doing the wrong thing. Someone had to keep a perimeter.  There were other law enforcement officers dealing directly with the evacuation of other students and confronting the shooter. It would have led to more confusion and possibly greater loss of life if frantic parents were allowed to storm the grounds en masse to find their kids before the threat was neutralized. A horrible, horrible situation for all involved, but I think we still need to try to view it as objectively as possible.

The last 2 days got me like:

• Like 3

i expect very little to come of this, so this is most likely for the optics:

This is very important. It lets the NRA know how big of a check they will need to cut to Manchin and Senima. Gotta make sure the NRA sees this so these assholes get paid.
  • Rage+1 1

What's also outrageous about that article is the fact that pulling the trigger on a gun when you don't mean to is a NEGLIGENT discharge, not an accidental discharge. This parent negligently brought a gun to school, endangered his child and other children, and the fucking police are just letting him get away with it?

Fucking god fucking damnit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

What's also outrageous about that article is the fact that pulling the trigger on a gun when you don't mean to is a NEGLIGENT discharge, not an accidental discharge. This parent negligently brought a gun to school, endangered his child and other children, and the fucking police are just letting him get away with it?

clearly more guns are the solution

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

FTpM3laakAAwvB2?format=jpg&name=medium

FTpM3kYaUAAmjs8?format=jpg&name=medium

Who gives a fuck?  I've said it before, but I'll repeat it -- WE HAVE CHOSEN THAT.  THAT IS NOT A POLICY FAILURE, IT IS A POLICY SUCCESS.  WHEN YOU REPEATEDLY ACT TO ENSURE THAT THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT FOR AN EVENT TO OCCUR, THEN YOU CAUSED IT.

This is fucking America.

America is a piece of dick.

13 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i expect very little to come of this, so this is most likely for the optics:

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Fuck yous to all of them.

Mac gets it.

My hope is that one of them had a deadly communicable disease, passed it to everyone else there, and all of them suffer painful illnesses and deaths.  The only "common ground" they could find that would do any of us any good would be the ground they end up buried under.  Worthless.  Every last one of them.  Either because they choose evil, or because they choose to be weak in fighting against it.  Either way, if we're going to live in a world with deadly diseases, let's root for those diseases to do something positive for once.

I hate them all.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Who gives a fuck?  I've said it before, but I'll repeat it -- WE HAVE CHOSEN THAT.  THAT IS NOT A POLICY FAILURE, IT IS A POLICY SUCCESS.  WHEN YOU REPEATEDLY ACT TO ENSURE THAT THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT FOR AN EVENT TO OCCUR, THEN YOU CAUSED IT.

This is fucking America.

America is a piece of dick.

Mac gets it.

My hope is that one of them had a deadly communicable disease, passed it to everyone else there, and all of them suffer painful illnesses and deaths.  The only "common ground" they could find that would do any of us any good would be the ground they end up buried under.  Worthless.  Every last one of them.  Either because they choose evil, or because they choose to be weak in fighting against it.  Either way, if we're going to live in a world with deadly diseases, let's root for those diseases to do something positive for once.

I hate them all.

Maybe you should say this, over and over again, many times a day, for months on end.

Or, maybe you could try to actually help solve the problem.  Tomato, tomahto.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe you should say this, over and over again, many times a day, for months on end.

Or, maybe you could try to actually help solve the problem.  Tomato, tomahto.

And you well know that I'm bailing out this sinking ship with my single thimble as fast as I can.  I'm just clear-eyed enough to note that we're fucking sunk.  I'll bail till the end.  But it don't make a shit, and you know it.  Because for every thimbleful I bail out, the GQP pours in a 5-gallon bucketful.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captainant said:

"I used to worry about appendix carry +1 in the chamber shooting my dick off but then realized it wasn't long enough to be in the line of fire." /thatguymaybe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And you well know that I'm bailing out this sinking ship with my single thimble as fast as I can.  I'm just clear-eyed enough to note that we're fucking sunk.  I'll bail till the end.  But it don't make a shit, and you know it.  Because for every thimbleful I bail out, the GQP pours in a 5-gallon bucketful.

Well, at least go bigger than the usual ALL-CAPS.  I mean, it's surly, we're high-tech.  Throw in some different fonts, larger text, some sweet colors, italics, underlines, something.  I mean, it's just all so meh.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean......it's a Rays game.  So that message is going to reach what, ten, twelve people?

dunno, that thread always has way more posts in it than i'd expect for a texas longhorns message board. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, at least go bigger than the usual ALL-CAPS.  I mean, it's surly, we're high-tech.  Throw in some different fonts, larger text, some sweet colors, italics, underlines, something.  I mean, it's just all so meh.

I just realized we have comic sans.  Thank you for that.

Because if we're all going to hell in a handbasket, at least we should be able to discuss it in the worst of all fonts.

I may go full Mr. Phlegm.....

00956eaa8cfa326a196c39fca0dddc3b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

Brisket, I say this in all goodwill and with good intentions ... how/where do you ever work?  You have almost 50,000 posts on Surly in just a little over four years. You're averaging 33 posts per day, day in, day out. I assume there have been days when you haven't posted at all for whatever reason so on days that you actually post your average is highter than that. And your posts aren't short, pithy "F Scally"  type posts or game commentary posts but long diatribes.  Do you have an outside source of income? The reason I ask is because it feels like I'm on Surly all the time and I have 1/11th as many posts as you do ---- and many of mine have come while commenting on a game i.e. "AWESOME!"  or "GODDAMNIT!"  or whatever.  You're like a machine. 

Just judging from your posts and speaking as one who has absolutely no training is that this can't be good for you.

Go outside. Get some air. Take a walk. Go for a drive.  Take a long break from the internet. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this should rustle some jimmies

There was a stat on CNN last night that showed that Americans own almost as many guns as the rest of the world combined. We own like 370M guns and the rest of the world has like 450M or something like that.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread